The Sun: Indiana Jones is 5th best Screen outfit

00Kevin

Indyfan
British Newspaper The Sun Recently Conducted a Poll in which Indiana Jones's Famous Outfit was voted the 5th best in Screen History.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003530505,00.html

Personally I think it deserves more then 5th, one could argue that as the voters were English that may have something to do with it, but who knows. Anyways, good to see Indy up there in all of these surveys over the past 5 years

[Edited by 00Kevin on 11-17-2003 at 01:32 pm]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
For the rest of you:

1) John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever Suit
2) Ursula Andress's sexy bikini in 007's Dr. No
3) Brando's biker gear in The Wild One
4) Marilyn Monroe in the Seven Year Itch
5) Raiders of the Lost Ark - Harrison Ford
6) Black suits and ties - Reservior Dogs
7) Olivia Newton-John's leggings in Grease
8) Sean Connery's slick dinner jacket in Dr No
9) Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's
10) Clint Eastwood in A Fistful of Dollars

I'm not saying anything about the rankings, but I say that I would agree with #5, 9, and 10, and possibly 3 and 4.

FordFan

Marlon Brando in The Wild One? Okay, maybe he left a bit of an impression. But #3 on the list? How many people actually saw that movie?

Bull****. Pure and genuine bull****.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
FordFan said:
Marlon Brando in The Wild One? Okay, maybe he left a bit of an impression. But #3 on the list? How many people actually saw that movie?

Bull****. Pure and genuine bull****.

Now, actually, it's a fairly major film outfit. People can ask for a "Marlon Brando" jacket, and the store clerk will know what the person is asking for. Quite a fashion trend among bikers.

And I've seen it.

Joe Brody

One could almost argue that the Terminator outfit is a descendent of Brando's outfit (which was well-known back in the day, ever watch 'Beach Blanket Bingo'?).

As the for the Sun's list, I think it's pretty good -- given that it's from a nation that loves a guy like Cliff Richards. When viewed in this context, the Travolta outfit at #1 makes perfect sense. Exempting military or other uniforms, I scanned the AFI's top 100 and couldn't see any glaring ommissions (except I'm on record as saying that Cary Grant's suit in 'North by Northwest' puts in the best performance by a garment in a supporting role in any movie).

http://www.afi.com/tv/movies.asp

Given the strong showing from the early Bond's, shouldn't someone be quoting 'Trainspotting'?

[Edited by Joe Brody on 11-17-2003 at 08:26 pm]

theinfiniteweird

Wait a minute. Hold the boat. Stop the press. You mean to tell me that Jim Carrey and/or Jeff Daniels zoot-suit things in Dumb and dumber didn't get a top spot?

Canyon

Ah yes, The Sun. Known to our office as 'The Daily Trash'

Still, at least our beloved hero got a mention. :D

Damn! That man looks soooo good, even when he isn't in his Indy gear!
indianajones2_03.jpg

Miss Ravenwood

The Sun is one of the most disrespected papers in this country, I wouldn't worry over anything that's printed in there. The paper's just trashy rag...the opinions in it are of no importance whatsoever, whether they be from the public or its editors.

I wouldn't touch the Sun with a barge poll...ugh.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
As the for the Sun's list, I think it's pretty good -- given that it's from a nation that loves a guy like Cliff Richards. When viewed in this context, the Travolta outfit at #1 makes perfect sense. Exempting military or other uniforms, I scanned the AFI's top 100 and couldn't see any glaring ommissions (except I'm on record as saying that Cary Grant's suit in 'North by Northwest' puts in the best performance by a garment in a supporting role in any movie).

I agree with you Joe. Nothing really surprises me that much, and I can think of anything else that really should have been there either, except maybe Dorthy's dress in the Wizard of Oz.

And as for Roger O. Thornhill's suit...I agree, that gets my vote.

Joe Brody

Surrender Dorothy

I hear you on Dorothys dress. I wonder if Dorothy's dress got disrespected because of the emphasis on the shoes.

Miss Ravenwood

I agree about Dorothy's dress too. I always wanted one, when I was younger my Mum made me one similar to play in, since I was Wizard of Oz crazy (I still am). :)

I also nominate Sandy's "sexpot" outfit from the end of Grease, the black leather trousers and boob tube top...you all know the one. Great costume. Also Michelle Pfeiffer's "Catwoman" suit from Batman Returns. One word: Wow.

Joe Brody

The 'Catwomen' outfit is something special. Of all the Burton-era sets, costumes and design elements, I'd say that's the best and most definitive item. Is that outfit the product of a Burton sketch?

Speaking of 'Catwomen' I recently saw a still head-shot of Halle Berry in custume and it looked like a bad knock-off.