4) The Dark Crystal
5) The Fifth Element
6) Lord of the Rings
7) The Matrix
8) Terminator 1 & 2
9) The Princess Bride
10) The Iron Giant
11) Jurassic Park

I have many others but they are my top favourites!

EvilDevo

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2
Alien
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Goonies
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Back to the Future
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead (1990)
Shaun of the Dead
Batman
Batman Returns

Gustav

EvilDevo said:
Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Oh, come on.

Gustav's highly esteemed Top 21 movies of all time list:

1.Jaws
2.Se7en
3.King Kong (1933)
4.Psycho
5.The Roaring Twenties
6.The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
7.Indiana Jones (trilogy)
8.Coming to America
9.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10.Goodfellas
11.The Searchers
12.Intermission
13.Saving Private Ryan
14.Donnie Darko
15.Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
16.Crash
17.Tombstone
18.Snatch
19.Pulp Fiction
20.Night of the Living Dead (1968)
21.The Bride of Frankenstein

Jay R. Zay

Gustav said:
Oh, come on.

it's a good movie, after all. :)

but why is this thread so empty? :confused:

1. The City Of Lost Children (FRA 1995)
2. Naked Lunch (CAN 1991)
3. Brazil (UK 1985)
4. The Silence Within (GER 1996)
5. David Lynch's Rabbits (USA 2002)
6. I Stand Alone (FRA 1998)
7. The Man Who Wasn't There (USA 2001)
8. U Turn (USA 1997)
9. Dead Man (USA 1995)
10. Fight Club (USA 1999)

the order is an attempt to give them a personal rating, which was sort of hard as i very much appreciate every single one of them as an outstanding and unique creation. it also should be mentioned that i only picked the best movie of every director, no two movies in this list are from the same director - not because i don't like the others but because i wanted to keep the list short and yet comprehensive.

looking forward to reading abe's list.

Last edited:
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Princess Bride
This is Spinal Tap

I like the other two Indy films, but I don't find myself wanting to watch them very often, or even quoting them.

Gustav

I bought The City of Lost Children about two months ago after about a 5-year search. All I knew about it was what I saw from a very small part when I was at a friend's house and he was flipping channels (he changed it as soon as he saw it was dubbed). I found it when I was looking through Ron Perlman's acting filmography on imdb.

Of the rest of those, the only ones I have seen are Brazil and of course Fight Club. The only one I haven't heard of is I Stand Alone, but if it's anything like Irriversible then it should be interesting. I really don't like Jim Jarmusch, but I've wanted to give Dead Man a watch for a while. I was told to see Naked Lunch by a Canadian friend of mine but still haven't yet. I think she said "it's the weirdest movie I've ever seen".

Jay R. Zay

hm, gustav knows what he's talking about, too. (y)

Gustav said:
The only one I haven't heard of is I Stand Alone, but if it's anything like Irriversible then it should be interesting.

some kind of. but i'd call "i stand alone" much more unique and surprising.

Dead Man surely is worth watching. humorous, touching and calm. quite like The Man Who Wasn't There, actually, as well as in visual style and the significant soundtrack.

Naked Lunch indeed is a weird movie in a way, but not weirder than brazil. less politically provocative but socially, as for homosexuality and drugs. i've tried to read the book but my english isn't good enough to read it fluently and i hate to pause reading to look up a word in the dictionary. so i still haven't read it through and currently i'm considering to wait with this for a couple of more years.

you actually heard of "The Silence Within"?

Abe Vayoda

Barry Lyndon
Blue Velvet
Adaptation
Cinderella
The Hudsucker Proxy
After Hours
Evil Dead 2
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
My Name is Nobody

I know some people are going to rip me to shreds over my choices, but those really are some of my favorite movies. I tried to keep it to movies I’ve watched more than once really enjoyed. Like Jay, I tried to use one of each director.
Had you asked "what do you think are the best films" I would have a completely different list, but here's a list of movies that I love.

I’ve only seen two of David Lynch’s films. The other was Mulholland Drive, which I did not care for. Need to see Rabbits…. Does Laura Harring lez-out in that one too?
Would have mentioned Dead Man, but Jay beat me to it. About seven years ago I got really into Depps work and had to see it. Didn’t like it the first time, but it’s steadily grown on me ever since. Funny because I can’t stand Jarmusch as a person.
Jay, you seem to like Cronenberg… I’ve only seen the Fly, where would you recommend starting with his work? I’m thinking about renting crash since it has James Spader, and I really like him.
How did you see The Silence Within? It’s not available on DVD or VHS.
I can”t believe I’ve never heard of U Turn. Thought it would be some quirky indipendent film, but it’s by Stone and has some of my favorite actors. How did I miss this one?

intergamer

never seen this thread before

Casablanca
To Have and Have Not
To Be or Not to Be (1942)
Hitchcock's Rope
Gigi
RotLA, SWIV:ESB, j.bond, etc..
Speedy (Harold Lloyd)
Collateral

others..

Jay R. Zay

Abe Vayoda said:
I?ve only seen two of David Lynch?s films. The other was Mulholland Drive, which I did not care for. Need to see Rabbits?. Does Laura Harring lez-out in that one too?

nope. actually, there is not much motion in that movie at all. not much "-out" of any kind, no action, no sex, no killing, no screaming. very eerie thing, though.

Abe Vayoda said:
Jay, you seem to like Cronenberg? I?ve only seen the Fly, where would you recommend starting with his work? I?m thinking about renting crash since it has James Spader, and I really like him.

i'm not at all an expert on cronenberg. but i would indeed recommend Naked Lunch or Videodrome, which seem quite representative for his style (while Naked Lunch in my opinion shows a wider spectrum). personally, i didn't like The Fly at all. i've read the short story long ago and found myself much disappointed by the movie. the short story is great but doesn't deliver enough material to convert it into a full length movie. and so i often had the feeling the movie accidentally drifted off into a b-horror-flick, instead of remaining a thriller/drama.

in general, there are movies by him that show him in a very different light but for me, cronenberg always is connected to his style in organic machines, creatures and such. making dead technology live, breath and mate seems to be his first trademark.

Abe Vayoda said:
How did you see The Silence Within? It?s not available on DVD or VHS.

that's true (and fairly sad, i've tried to contact the producers but i didn't get any reply on my email). i've seen it on television quite a time ago. watching TV late at night on channels like "arte" (french/german art channel) brought me many of my now-favorite movies.

Abe Vayoda said:
I can?t believe I?ve never heard of U Turn. Thought it would be some quirky indipendent film, but it?s by Stone and has some of my favorite actors. How did I miss this one?

don't know, i can't believe it either. :p

Joe Brody

1. The Indianrunner
2. Casablanca
3. The Parent Trap (original)
4. Se7en
5. Pulp Fiction
6. The Big Sleep
7. The Big Lebowski
8. Sleepy Hollow
9. Raiders of the Lost Arc
10. North by Northwest
11. Platoon
12. Silence of the Lambs
13. Walk the Line
14. Rob Roy
15. From Hell
16. Murder by Death
17. Angel Heart
18. LA Confidential
19. Legends of the Fall
20. Empire of the Sun (tie)
20. Chinatown (tie)
20. Richard III (tie)

Last edited:

Gustav

Jay R. Zay said:
you actually heard of "The Silence Within"?

Aye, I believe I have.

Jay R. Zay said:
some kind of. but i'd call "i stand alone" much more unique and surprising.

Sounds like a must see. Do you know how they managed to smash that guy's face in with a fire extinguisher in Irreversible? I could never figure that out and it looks so real.

Jay R. Zay said:
Naked Lunch indeed is a weird movie in a way, but not weirder than brazil. less politically provocative but socially, as for homosexuality and drugs. i've tried to read the book but my english isn't good enough to read it fluently and i hate to pause reading to look up a word in the dictionary. so i still haven't read it through and currently i'm considering to wait with this for a couple of more years.

Brazil still ranks among the few weirdest films I've ever seen if it's not the weirdest. It might be tied with Eraserhead. The only David Lynch films I have seen are Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. He appears to have a fascination with deformities, but I like the guy. He seems very sincere.

After Hours was very good and I even thought about putting that on my list. But I also thought about putting Gangs of New York and The Aviator and Taxi Driver on there.

One movie I probably would have on my list if I remembered it would be An American Werewolf in London. I think Interview With the Vampire and The Cell (speaking of weird movies) also deserve honorable mentions.

Evil Dead 2 is hilarious. For me it's a toss-up between that and Army of Darkness for the best in the series.

My brother is a big Cronenberg fan. The Fly is one of his favourite movies. By the way, the 'Crash' on my list is the 2004 one. I have seen Cronenberg's Crash and I honestly thought it was a little dull. Not bad, just a little dull.

Joe Brody has some good ones on his list. I have yet to see Indianrunner. Sleepy Hollow is probably my favourite Tim Burton.

I watched The Bride of Frankenstein last night and I'm starting to think I like the first one more.

Has anybody else seen Donnie Darko? Usually when I bring up this movie people only want to talk about the funny things that happen as if they were the main plot and the time-travelling thing was just a side-story. I think the reason most people my age like it is because it takes place in the 80's and they talk about the smurfs in it and the 80's are 'in' right now. It's pretty damn annoying. It's really a very thought-provoking movie and the funny script helps carry the story along very well. The original version is a little hard to understand, so if you want to see it for the first time I recommend the Director's Cut. It clarifies what is going on a little.

Other movies that almost made it onto my list are 2001:A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and Dick Tracy. Apocolypse Now would probably be on there if I had remembered. Same with The Usual Suspects.

The problem with Dick Tracy is that I think they relied too much on their colourful set designs and cinematography to hold the audience instead of telling a good story. The story wasn't bad, but not good enough to make my list of only 21.

Gustav

I've got to redo my list for a few reasons. Reason one: after looking over it several times I noticed I forgot to put in Fight Club which should be around number 10. Reason two: after posting it I remembered some other movies that should be on there and are not. Reason three: since posting the list I have seen two extremely good films. I couldn't allow the old list to float around with the Gustav name on it. Behold!

1.Jaws
2.Se7en
3.King Kong (1933)
4.Psycho
5.The Roaring Twenties
6.The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
7.Indiana Jones (trilogy)
8.Coming to America
9.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10.Fight Club
11.Goodfellas
12.Bladerunner
13.Saving Private Ryan
14.The Searchers
15.Apocalypse Now
16.Gangs of New York
17.Donnie Darko
18.Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
19.An American Werewolf in London
20.Interview With the Vampire
21.Crash (2004)
22.Tombstone
23.Snatch
24.The Usual Suspects
25.Pulp Fiction
26.Night of the Living Dead (1968)
27.Frankenstein (1931)
28.Jet Li's Fearless
29.A Clockwork Orange
30.Intermission
31.Lethal Weapon
32.Lake PLacid
33.Dark City

There you have it. And it looks like some very good movies are going to be released in the next few months, like The Prestige, Catch a Fire, The Last King of Scotland and Children of Men and I'll see some of the other peoples' favourite movies that I haven't seen yet like The Man Who Wasn't There, The Indianrunner, Dead Man and Grifters. So maybe the list will change again after all that. Who knows?

The Last King of Scotland should have already been released but it's nowhere near me. The movie theater where I'm getting a job has had trailers and it has a poster in the lobby so I assume they will have it maybe after another theater is done with it.

...I'm kind of talking to myself in this post.

Last edited:
It's easy to forget.... There are TONS AND TONS of enjoyable movies....

:)

I could never pick just 5 or 10.... that would be like asking me to pick just 5 or 10 things to cook with.....

Gustav

Same here, but a music comparison would work better for me. Ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese are the extent of my culinary abilities.

I'm going to have to draw the line on my list, otherwise it'll just keep growing and growing like the blob. I'm going to stop at 35.

I didn't go with the music comparison, cause in all honesty, I find music even harder to narrow down than movies....

My Unupdated MP3 Collection Warning... it's a DAMN big txt file.....

To continue with the analogy, asking me to pick say, just 10 bands would be like asking me to pick just 10 things for in the kitchen, and blindfolding me, and tying my hands behind my back! LOL

Kezia

Gustav "Kezia, what are your favourite movies?"

SO sweet of you to ask, honey! :D
Let me see..... my all time favorite movie from back when I was little (sooooooo long ago ya know ;) is Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea..... I can really relate to Anne... There's always been a few people's heads I'd like to break slates over! :D

-Rear Window (Alfie was such an amazing film maker...LOVE him)

-The Man Who Knew Too Little (Toooooooooo cute)

-Legends of the Fall (Like all the other girls, I fell in love with Brad Pitt in that one :)

-Finding Nemo (Makes me cry everytime)

-Young Sherlock Holmes (Freaked me out as a kid)

-The Ring (The girl's scary, you must admit!)

-Jurassic Park (First movie I ever saw in a theater.... sheltered childhood :)

-Cold Comfort Farm ("I saw something nasty in the woodshed!")

-Mouse Hunt (Loved his cute little fish tin bed!)

-Tombstone (For a dying man Doc was a very sexy dude ;)

-Meet Joe Black (Fell in love with Death on that one :rolleyes:

-The Haunted ("Daaavvviiiiidd" *shudders*)

-The Mummy (Good memories)

....are just a few of my faves!

Last edited: