General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
The overall feel of the film seems like Lucas' input: the family friendly element, and lack of hard edge.
Whilst I don't doubt the possibility that it was Lucas, I think it's Spielberg who is historically the overly sentimental one.

Udvarnoky

James said:
Yes, he's always been pretty candid about his work on the series- which is another reason I don't see him trying to string fans along. What would be the point?

Stringing the fans along? We fans do the stringing ourselves, happily. Reprint a single quote where Spielberg states an intention to direct Indiana Jones 5.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Indeed. (Also the one who likes the funny animals.)

...and funny little sentimental aliens like E.T. I see your point. Makes me think then, that Spielberg had a big hand in the last three Star Wars movies - then Lucas could blame somebody else!

This was from another thread:

Walton said:
We can always hope that Indy 5 will get things back on track with a Macguffin that raises the roof...or razes the roof, depending on what you're in for. I hear the project is confirmed and it's set to release in 2011.

(http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...S/news/?a=8411)

It looks like an obvious hoax, from yet another site where anyone can post news:

"This bit of news is coming from The Insider, over at CBS. Not a very reliable source but none the less they are reporting that Harrison Ford has said production will start next year with the film hitting the big screen in 2011. Just a side note here, Harrison will be 69 when the fifth film hits theaters. The trades however are reporting that he is in good shape and should be able to perform most of the stunts that he has done in the past Indy movies."

It's followed by this:

"DISCLAIMER: This posting was submitted by a user of the site not from Comic Book Movie editorial staff. All users have acknowledged and agreed that the submission of their content is in compliance with our Terms of Use..."

Last edited:

indyjones2131

In a story on aintitcool, ridley scott mentioned seeing Harrison Ford in the gym getting into good shape.

Sure this is for Cowboys vs Aliens, but hey...

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
In a story on aintitcool, ridley scott mentioned seeing Harrison Ford in the gym getting into good shape.

Sure this is for Cowboys vs Aliens, but hey...

Good to hear, as long as Ford keeps himself in good enough shape to do more Indy, and we haven't heard that the series is gone for good, there's still hope.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
...and funny little sentimental aliens like E.T. I see your point. Makes me think then, that Spielberg had a big hand in the last three Star Wars movies - then Lucas could blame somebody else!

I'd personally choose the last 3 Lucas movies over any of Spielberg's previous 7 (sans Munich perhaps)... but that's just me. :)

Raiders90

If there is an Indy 4, I think Lucas should write the general story, perhaps with another storywriter in the vein of a younger version of Kasdan, and Spielberg should only executive produce, not direct, and Lucas should only co-write the story, not executive produce. Essentially it would mean handing over the direction and storywriting over to younger guys, however with Lucas and Spielberg on board who know the universe and what Indy would or wouldn't do.

Raiders90

I'd like to also add that if Indy 5 happens Sallah should return in some way, as (maybe) should Shorty. Sallah's been with Indy on two of his most important quests, he should be along for the final ride; Out of all Indy's friends we've seen on film he's been the truest and most loyal and I bet Sallah would be happy to learn that Indy finally married Marion, as he seemed to like her.

It was thoroughly surprising that Indy didn't invite him to the wedding, nor Short Round. I can't imagine Indy inviting not inviting the boy who was like a son to him long before Mutt came around nor one of his oldest and most loyal friends to his wedding. That's kind of a slap in the face, especially since (according to the Lost Journal) he and Short Round are still talking as of 1957.

Sharkey

Raiders112390 said:
I'd like to also add that if Indy 5 happens Sallah should return in some way, as (maybe) should Shorty. Sallah's been with Indy on two of his most important quests, he should be along for the final ride; Out of all Indy's friends we've seen on film he's been the truest and most loyal and I bet Sallah would be happy to learn that Indy finally married Marion, as he seemed to like her.

It was thoroughly surprising that Indy didn't invite him to the wedding, nor Short Round. I can't imagine Indy inviting not inviting the boy who was like a son to him long before Mutt came around nor one of his oldest and most loyal friends to his wedding. That's kind of a slap in the face, especially since (according to the Lost Journal) he and Short Round are still talking as of 1957.
Where have you been for the last three years? You joined in 2007 and you don't know why Sallah wasn't at Indy's wedding? Do some reading man!

lao che & sons

Sharkey said:
Where have you been for the last three years? You joined in 2007 and you don't know why Sallah wasn't at Indy's wedding? Do some reading man!

Wasn't it something about Joh Rhys Davies not wanting to do it or something. If it's not that, then I know why.

Dene

Indy's brother said:
Good to hear, as long as Ford keeps himself in good enough shape to do more Indy, and we haven't heard that the series is gone for good, there's still hope.
Yes, very true.

It's been a bit of a depressing week on the Indy front but even though they're not filming next year, it's not over until we hear it is. At least Frank Marshall didn't tweet "There is no Indy 5".

Sean Connery toplined Entrapment aged 68 and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen aged 72 -- so why not Harrison? I can't see him citing age as a factor for not continuing.

Fingers crossed, Indy may still ride again.

foreignerfred

Dene said:
Yes, very true.

It's been a bit of a depressing week on the Indy front but even though they're not filming next year, it's not over until we hear it is. At least Frank Marshall didn't tweet "There is no Indy 5".

Sean Connery toplined Entrapment aged 68 and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen aged 72 -- so why not Harrison? I can't see him citing age as a factor for not continuing.

Fingers crossed, Indy may still ride again.

Hollywood denials are a dime a dozen. And often to control when something is "officially announced."

I think it's entirely possible that Indy 5 is coming sooner than those "denials" would have us think.

Besides, as has been said, Harrison's fitness training for Cowboys and Aliens could easily also be timely for Harrison's next film after Cowboys...Indy 5.

Watch KOTCS Disc 2 Special Features, the first entry in the Production Diary. The opening words are Frank Marshall's. He talks about how secret Spielberg wanted everything to be. How much of a surprise he wanted it to be for the fans (and no, not just the Marion bit, EVERYTHING about KOTCS).

I was watching that feature this morning, and it really hit me as being applicable to Indy 5.

Walton

tnswman said:
"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And it?s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he?s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it?s not like he?s an old man. He?s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

I hear Shia and Harrison agreed that KOTCS sucked, even told SS that. I hope they put their collective foots down on GL.

George, listen to yourself. "The old chemistry is there." Yeah, don't mess with it. Don't tweak it, don't CGI enhance it...leave it where it is and work with it.

"It's not like he's an old man." Then don't bust him down to a supporting role!!!

I get the idea of handing off the legacy to the next generation...but don't call it Indy if it's really Mutt.

foreignerfred

Walton said:
I hear Shia and Harrison agreed that KOTCS sucked, even told SS that. I hope they put their collective foots down on GL.

George, listen to yourself. "The old chemistry is there." Yeah, don't mess with it. Don't tweak it, don't CGI enhance it...leave it where it is and work with it.

"It's not like he's an old man." Then don't bust him down to a supporting role!!!

I get the idea of handing off the legacy to the next generation...but don't call it Indy if it's really Mutt.

Don't worry, pal. Those dusty quotes are from the opening of KOTCS! SS and HF truly hadn't heard Lucas' swell idea of making Shia the star and Harrison his support. When they found out, Lucas changed his tune, and I mean FAST.

I'm pretty sure Harrison will fight to the death for his TRUE baby...the character of Indiana Jones.

Raiders90

foreignerfred said:
Don't worry, pal. Those dusty quotes are from the opening of KOTCS! SS and HF truly hadn't heard Lucas' swell idea of making Shia the star and Harrison his support. When they found out, Lucas changed his tune, and I mean FAST.

I'm pretty sure Harrison will fight to the death for his TRUE baby...the character of Indiana Jones.

And I think if Lucas pushed Indy into a side role for "Mutt" Williams to be the lead character in an "Indiana Jones" moview, he would alienate most of his remaining fans, at least most of the Indy fan-base.

It would be a horrible idea. I hope Mutt doesn't return in the next film, he's the weakest side kick of the series and his character--a rip off Marlon Brando greaser--is cheesy. I mean he has to spout off generic '50s speech like, "Smog in the Noggin", ''Daddy-o!", "Off his rocker", "God's head doesn't look like that, man!", "Don't give these pigs a thing."

and it's not like Mutt is even tough I mean he got his butt kicked by Spalko at 19 years old whereas Indy at 58 was able to beat up Dovenchenko. When Indy was 19 he was fighting the undead and acting as a spy and able to murder guys in cold blood already. Mutt's the same age as Indy was in Masks of Evil and seems to only care about his bike and combing his hair every 5 minutes.

I mean even though people criticize "Young Indy", the kid was tough by Mutt's age and wasn't a fop. In fact in Adventures of the Secret Service he says he doesn't like and is greatly annoyed by frivolous people--I'd call someone who while kidnapped complains only about their motorcycle being left behind and combing his hair a frivolous person.

Last edited:

StoneTriple

Darth Vile said:
Secondly, I don't think Lucas got what he wanted at all with KOTCS... If anything I'd say he was the one who probably had to compromise the most to get Spielberg/Ford on board. Regardless of how good/bad the movie could have been, the alien/inter dimensional being stuff only really surfaces for 5 or 10 minutes of the movie. The rest of KOTCS is standard Indiana Jones fair e.g. car chases, fights with burly soldiers, temples and pyramids.

That's my thinking as well. If you read some of his early ideas and scripts, Kingdom is nothing like what he wanted originally (thank God). As Darth said, Kingdom is a standard Indiana Jones film with some aliens at the end.

Raiders90

I hope if Indy 5 is a prequel we finally get to see Sophia Hapgood in an Indy movie..or maybe, if a sequel, if Marion gets killed or something, she shows up.

lao che & sons

Raiders112390 said:
I hope if Indy 5 is a prequel we finally get to see Sophia Hapgood in an Indy movie..or maybe, if a sequel, if Marion gets killed or something, she shows up.

or better yet, what if Sophia kills Marion!? Now we're onto something here! (y)