Is anybody else worried that Indiana Jones won't do all of the fights?

Routledge

I'm not revealing anything that might be considered a spoiler, but it has been mentioned that other characters may have fights. But surely the whole appeal about Indy is that he takes on everybody himself? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm a bit worried that Indy is going to be overshadowed by the sidekicks or friends?

Thoughts?

Jedinizar

I'm not worried, because all the comments, (from GL, Spielberg and the rest of the crew), are that HF is doing all the stunts by him self, and that he is in a good shape....
so don't worry Indy will take enough punches as he did in his previous adventures

deckard24

commontone said:
Karen Allen had her fighting moments in Raiders, Short Round and Willie had them in Doom...what's the worry?
Exactly, there will be more than enough baddies for Dr. Jones to take on!

DaveTheHutt

Undoubtedly Shia with have a few moments to shine as will Karen, but there should be enough action to go around - just like in the original films!

Echo22

Like in the originals, I think what you'll see is a few of the supporting characters have their kicks and get a few punches in - but the main action will belong to Ford. He'll be the one going toe to toe with the main villain in whatever climactic fight or chase scene. Like in Last Crusade and Temple of Doom, you'll have Shia's character facing off against a lesser foe - but the heavyweights will be going after Indy.

oki9Sedo

People here seem to think they're smarter and more in tune with what makes a good Indiana Jones film than Spielberg, Lucas and Ford.

They KNOW that audiences want Indiana Jones to do most of the fighting. I'm sure Mutt and Marion will have some scuffles to, but it'll be mostly Indy.

Routledge

oki9Sedo said:
People here seem to think they're smarter and more in tune with what makes a good Indiana Jones film than Spielberg, Lucas and Ford.

They KNOW that audiences want Indiana Jones to do most of the fighting. I'm sure Mutt and Marion will have some scuffles to, but it'll be mostly Indy.

Yes that's true. However, as Mr. Lucas keeps reminding us, what we want as an audience, sometimes he doesn't want! Hopefully, Spielberg can remain brainwashed-free from Lucas's infecting mind.

Finn

Staff member
Echo22 said:
Like in Last Crusade and Temple of Doom, you'll have Shia's character facing off against a lesser foe - but the heavyweights will be going after Indy.
It'd pretty much follow the formula if the main villain was offed by somebody else than Indy, in fact. In ToD, Indy did fight Mola Ram, but in both Raiders and LC the main villain met his demise in some other way than one directly caused by Indy. Heck, in Raiders the biggest fish Indy actually took on face to face was the mechanic. In LC it was upped a notch as it was Vogel.

What I'm personally expecting is a scuffle between Mutt and Agent Spalko that will end in a winnerless draw, and later on she bites it by messing with the Skull's powers or whatever the big prize is in the end of the film. Just like Belloq and Donovan. Heck, even ToD partially falls into this category as the stones played a big part in Indy beating Mola Ram.

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
What I'm personally expecting is a scuffle between Mutt and Agent Spalko that will end in a winnerless draw, and later on she bites it by messing with the Skull's powers or whatever the big prize is in the end of the film. Just like Belloq and Donovan. Heck, even ToD partially falls into this category as the stones played a big part in Indy beating Mola Ram.

Are there rumours of a fight between Mutt and Agent Spalko?

If there is it'll probably be played with an element of comedy from the hero being well out of their depth. She might be a woman, but she's still a tough Soviet agent and he's a goofball greaser played by Shia Le Boeuf, who let's face it, is not exactly a man's man.

Similar to the fight Indy has with the mechanic, although thats less to do with Indy being a p ussy and more to do with the mechanic being a 250lb tank.

Finn

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
Are there rumours of a fight between Mutt and Agent Spalko?
There's been some rumors, yeah. But they can also be false and since this is the non-spoiler section I don't think it's the right place to discuss them in detail.

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
There's been some rumors, yeah. But they can also be false and since this is the non-spoiler section I don't think it's the right place to discuss them in detail.

Fair enough.

Routledge said:
I'm not revealing anything that might be considered a spoiler, but it has been mentioned that other characters may have fights. But surely the whole appeal about Indy is that he takes on everybody himself? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm a bit worried that Indy is going to be overshadowed by the sidekicks or friends?

Personally, I'm more worried about the possibility of Indy becoming sort of a relatively "background" character for the story, especially assuming there will be at least two VERY IMPORTANT so-called "supporting characters" in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".
The new movie is about Indiana Jones, I know... but to me is not so easy to figure out how they could have managed to properly handle that large amount of protagonists without the need of putting Indy (the character we already know best) in a second place...

Regarding the fights, instead, I'm almost sure we will see Shia LaBeouf and Karen Allen (the "at-least-two-VERY-IMPORTANT-characters" I was previously referring to) getting into troubles, while Indy, the hero, desperatly tries to save 'em.
I remember an interview with Ray Winstone in which they asked him if he thought Harrison Ford's character could have kicked a** to Shia LaBeouf's one. Ray said something like "Everybody could have kicked Shia's a** in this film. Even my character... even you". I interpreted that statement as a confirmation of the fact that Shia's character won't be so heroic/adventurous as maybe you are worried he will be.

Jedinizar

The Stranger said:
Personally, I'm more worried about the possibility of Indy becoming sort of a relatively "background" character for the story, especially assuming there will be at least two VERY IMPORTANT so-called "supporting characters" in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".
The new movie is about Indiana Jones, I know... but to me is not so easy to figure out how they could have managed to properly handle that large amount of protagonists without the need of putting Indy (the character we already know best) in a second place...

Regarding the fights, instead, I'm almost sure we will see Shia LaBeouf and Karen Allen (the "at-least-two-VERY-IMPORTANT-characters" I was previously referring to) getting into troubles, while Indy, the hero, desperatly tries to save 'em.
I remember an interview with Ray Winstone in which they asked him if he thought Harrison Ford's character could have kicked a** to Shia LaBeouf's one. Ray said something like "Everybody could have kicked Shia's a** in this film. Even my character... even you". I interpreted that statement as a confirmation of the fact that Shia's character won't be so heroic/adventurous as maybe you are worried he will be.

In TOD we had Willie and Short Round and they were also 2 "supporting characters" and Indy wasn't in pull in the background... but I'm also woried this time we have Shia (I yet hate him, even without knowing if he is
Indy's son or not
), we have Karen and finally there is also Ray... too much for my taste...

Kernunnos

Routledge said:

Thoughts?

I'm a bit worried that Shia's character might take over a bit.

It's obvious Lucas wedged the character into the script as an alternative hero for youngsters who wont necessarily identify with a 65 year old.

Overall, I'm very optimistic about KOTCS, but Mutt Ravenwood could ruin it for me if he gets in my face too much when I'm trying to watch a film about Indiana Jones.

Still, at least he can't be worse than Willie and Short Round.

Jedinizar said:
... we have Karen and finally there is also Ray... too much for my taste...

And you forgot about John Hurt!! :D

Kerunnos said:
Still, at least he can't be worse than Willie and Short Round.

Uhm... don't understand why do people always say Short Round and Willie aren't good characters... :confused: I liked 'em both.

Jedinizar

The Stranger said:
And you forgot about John Hurt!! :D

Uhm... don't understand why do people always say Short Round and Willie aren't good characters... :confused: I liked 'em both.

same to me, I like Willie more than Marion and of course more than Dr. Elsa Schneider.. and Mr. short Round is also one of my best chara in the Indy "univers"