TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #101
indyclone25
IndyFan

its a paberback , so i think they will not cancel it .
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #102
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I'm still looking forward to this novel- it's been a long 10 year wait for a new adult novel that isn't an adaptation of a film. I'm hoping that it does get a release in the Australian bookstore, so I don't have to order it and wait for weeks on end (usually ordering takes a extra 4-6 weeks from most bookstores, there's the rare one that takes only 2 weeks).
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #103
Irfaan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
its a paberback , so i think they will not cancel it .

Which reminds me... does anyone think they will have a hardback edition? I would rather buy that, it would be the first hardback Indy novel I would ever own! :-D I recently bought star wars force unleashed (for MEGA-cheap) hardback (first hardback I bought in ages!) and it feels so great! It's the only reason why I have not preordered it yet.

Though saying that, I honestly don't mind buying the paperback...
Irfaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #104
throwmetheidol
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfaan
Which reminds me... does anyone think they will have a hardback edition? I would rather buy that, it would be the first hardback Indy novel I would ever own! :-D I recently bought star wars force unleashed (for MEGA-cheap) hardback (first hardback I bought in ages!) and it feels so great! It's the only reason why I have not preordered it yet.

Though saying that, I honestly don't mind buying the paperback...

Paperback only (as least in North America)....
throwmetheidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #105
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

In the middle of this. Must say, I'm pretty disapointed so far, over a hundred pages in and nothings really happening. Well, stuff is happening but... well.. not a whole lot
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #106
Trennas
IndyFan

Oh you have it already? That's like super fast. How many pages does it have?
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #107
DoomTown
IndyFan

Location: The Atomic Cafe,on a highway somewhere in Nevada...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
In the middle of this. Must say, I'm pretty disapointed so far, over a hundred pages in and nothings really happening. Well, stuff is happening but... well.. not a whole lot

Ummm did you get it early or something??? Thought the release date was the 29th???
DoomTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #108
Plaristes
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVoss
Ummm did you get it early or something??? Thought the release date was the 29th???

I got an e-mail from amazon.com today telling me the book is now available.

Edit: Hooray! With my 100th post, I finally get an avatar!
Plaristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #109
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

It was sitting on the top shelf of the new books section in Forbidden Planet London, its 325 pages long and I'm 108 in
Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #110
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
are you saying you have it !!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #111
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Yep indeed I am
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #112
Trennas
IndyFan

Checked our bookstore too, we didn't have it yet, as was to be expected
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #113
QBComics
IndyFan

Any action, whatsoever? Is Mac handled well in the story?
QBComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #114
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Not so far. I haven't had this much trouble reading an indy novel since Caidin... Mac, well he doesn't do much. They're not even involved in the war, on leave from it. And Indy keeps going on about the cross of coronado. Its like Perry is scrabbling around with back story to pepper his conversations but has completely missed out on young indy which would illuminate so many conversations more then indy being a scout... Full review whenever I finish the damn thing
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #115
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Please post more NONSPOILER details of your thoughts so far. Do the author capture the character of Indy well? Do they action scenes have weight to them?

Thanks!
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #116
Trennas
IndyFan

Hmm that doesn't bode well. I'm sure many of us had this book high on our wishlist, and I myself am starting to get a little reluctant. Still, I often find myself enjoying book other people don't, so I will give it a chance, even if I can't miss out on any Indy novels to stock my already full bookcase
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #117
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Non Spoiler thoughts.. well
So far there hasn't really been any action sequences, almost 150 pages in, there was a random plane crash and a very brief action sequence, very very brief. Indy hasn't really done anything yet. Theres a one or two nice moments but usually Indy's character isn't that great, not really like him at all, hes very smug, making stupid jokes constantly and thinking about the other movies and something called Peruvian werejaguars a lot. Oh, and going on and on about being a scout.

Theres one conversation about knots but the whole thing really follows the Japanese commander and the German more then it does Indy's party as they wander very slowly through the woods. Maybe its the mood I'm in but the whole thing smacks of a lack of research.. even in the introduction he states that he made everything up on the islands, including the geography! Maybe it'll get better.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #118
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've been able to read the book myself, although the apparent lack of research is disturbing, especially considering the research that clearly went into the last series. MacGregor has visited all but one of the locations he had in the books, Caidin clearly knew his planes and flying, and McCoy had all those historical context bits and the end of his books.

On the note of reading it myself, may I suggest to the moderators a review thread in the same vein of TheForce.net forums? Having an official review thread as maybe a sticky could hopefully help curtail any possilbe number of random review or thought threads. At least I'd like to see that.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #119
throwmetheidol
IndyFan

For fellows Canadians - book is available at Chapters-Indigo stores (as well as the 2 new DK books).... picked up mine today.
throwmetheidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #120
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of research. The closest friend of a writer, is research. This just makes me more peeved that they didn't released MacGregor's SoK novel. At least, then we would have a great and proven Indy author with a decent storyline!

I'm still waiting for the Australian release so it could be a while before I get my hands on a copy. I'm hoping that I have a different opinion on it once I read it for myself. Lately, though, I have agreed with other Raveners on their reviews of KOTCS, etc. Still, though, I just don't get why they didn't just get MacGregor to do a fresh novel instead of a novelisation.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #121
bennihana123
IndyFan

While I liked MacGregor's storylines, I didn't think his writing style was to my tastes. At times it seemed a little childish. I read 'Death Star' by Steve Perry and thought it was one of the better Star Wars novels out there. I have high hopes for this book, even though the storyline may not be up to par.
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #122
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Its getting slightly better. Still not up to much. Indy's a bit confused about his own past. On a dig 25 years ago? Not unless you mean digging trenches in the Somme!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #123
Dewy9
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennihana123
While I liked MacGregor's storylines, I didn't think his writing style was to my tastes. At times it seemed a little childish. I read 'Death Star' by Steve Perry and thought it was one of the better Star Wars novels out there. I have high hopes for this book, even though the storyline may not be up to par.

He also wrote the "Shadows of the Empire" novelization, which is one of my favorite SW books.
Dewy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #124
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Well almost 200 pages in and the books threatening to get better! Zombies at last!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #125
indyclone25
IndyFan

went to local borders books but no copies in yet !!!!darn it