General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

indy4242

indyjones2131 said:
Didn't see this posted, but on ABC's Greatest Movies of Our Time, Ford said there is ambition to do another if they get the right script. He'd love to play the character again.

Same ol same. But it is nice to here they want a good SCRIPT and not a good IDEA. Hopefully they have the idea already...

Oy vey. It's been almost three years, it's never gonna happen :( ... at least with all three Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg. After all, they don't own Indy, Paramount does.

Indy's brother

You can't take the "if we can get/agree on an idea/script" quips at face value. They have something they've been tinkering with for almost 2 years now:

June 15, 2009
Shia LaBeouf: "Steven just said that he cracked a story on it before I left and I think they're gearing that up."

June 18, 2009
Frank Marshall: "It's really about the script. Once we see that, we'll see. We're not going to wait another 20 years. We'd all love to make another one. I'm anxious to hear the idea! We had a great time making the last one and, as Harrison said, we need to make this one soon. We're not getting any younger. Until there's a script, nothing's definite. I haven't heard the idea."

June 18, 2009
Frank Marshall: "The story for Indy5 is progressing. It is still in the research phase."

September 14, 2009
Harrison Ford: "The story for the new Indiana Jones is in the process of taking form. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and myself are agreed on what the fifth adventure will concern, and George is actively at work. If the script is good, I'll be very happy to put the costume on again."

As far as that last one, sure the part about "if the script is good". Who knows what that means coming from Ford. I love him as Indy, but when was the last time he's proved that he knows what a good script looked like? The biggest hurdle with getting KOTCS made was convincing Spielberg to get over his hangup about doing aliens. Once he said ok to it, it got made. (my interpretation of the events, anyway) Steven is on board for doing a 5th, as are Lucas and Ford, they've got their idea, it's just a matter of whether they can get it into shape before Ford keels over of old age.

indy4242 said:
After all, they don't own Indy, Paramount does.

Come on, really?

IndyJones5183

What I wish they did for the fifth film would make a contest out of it.Let the fans write a story or a script and the winner who has his/her script/story chosen for the film get to be on set during the making and be apart of the creative process.

indy4242

IndyJones5183 said:
What I wish they did for the fifth film would make a contest out of it.Let the fans write a story or a script and the winner who has his/her script/story chosen for the film get to be on set during the making and be apart of the creative process.

That would be the worst movie of all time.

Of all time.

IndyJones5183

Montana Smith said:
Letting those guys anywhere near Indy again is another bad idea! :p

Yes,but they wouldn't be the only ones choosing a winner.
I agree the last movie was a little crazy.Even though it had some good scenes,but the alien thing was horrible and some characters they didn't need.I could have written a better Indy story than them.
What does aliens have to do with archaeology any way(nothing)?

Rivers

IndyJones5183 said:
Yes,but they wouldn't be the only ones choosing a winner.
I agree the last movie was a little crazy.Even though it had some good scenes,but the alien thing was horrible and some characters they didn't need.I could have written a better Indy story than them.
What does aliens have to do with archaeology any way(nothing)?

If Aliens did have an influence setting up an ancient civilization thousands of years ago, who do you think would be doing the research and studying it? Your Dentist?
Of course an archeologist would be. Aliens or no Aliens.
I think your missing the point that the entire movie wasnt just about Aliens.
Akator: A mythical lost city (archeology) The Crystal Skull: A mysterious artifact with unknown origins (archeology)

You cant figure that out and yet you claim you can write a better script... wow!

Mickiana

A competition for the fans to write a story/script isn't a bad idea. It would be akin to when they reeled out the ideas for Raiders - ideas flowing, creativity unchecked by all the worries associated with making a good sequel. Fans are the one group that haven't forgotten what Indiana Jones is all about. The more I think about it, the more I reckon a fan-written script is going to be the only way to get near what Raiders achieved. Let's admit it, if we got to see the CS script before filming started and were asked for our critique, there would have been some changes made and for the better. A fan will not have the imposed limitations that a writer of a big Hollywood blockbuster has to work under.

IndyJones5183

Mickiana said:
A competition for the fans to write a story/script isn't a bad idea. It would be akin to when they reeled out the ideas for Raiders - ideas flowing, creativity unchecked by all the worries associated with making a good sequel. Fans are the one group that haven't forgotten what Indiana Jones is all about. The more I think about it, the more I reckon a fan-written script is going to be the only way to get near what Raiders achieved. Let's admit it, if we got to see the CS script before filming started and were asked for our critique, there would have been some changes made and for the better. A fan will not have the imposed limitations that a writer of a big Hollywood blockbuster has to work under.

I agree. That was what I was trying to get across.(y)

IndyJones5183

Rivers said:
If Aliens did have an influence setting up an ancient civilization thousands of years ago, who do you think would be doing the research and studying it? Your Dentist?
Of course an archeologist would be. Aliens or no Aliens.
I think your missing the point that the entire movie wasnt just about Aliens.
Akator: A mythical lost city (archeology) The Crystal Skull: A mysterious artifact with unknown origins (archeology)

You cant figure that out and yet you claim you can write a better script... wow!

Yes, I do feel I could have written a better fourth film.I also feel anyone could have written a better script for the fourth film.But my focus right now is Indy 5.

Rivers

IndyJones5183 said:
Yes, I do feel I could have written a better fourth film.I also feel anyone could have written a better script for the fourth film.But my focus right now is Indy 5.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:

The Writers Guild of America would go on strike again in protest, film-making would be brought to a halt. Indy V would be delayed, and Harrison would grow even older...

Mickiana

That's the political side of it which is the decider. But as to writing a better script that could make a better movie, why not someone else - even a fan? I don't want the Guild to stage a strike and have Harrison look like Gandalf for his next Indy outing, but please, someone other than Koepp.

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
That's the political side of it which is the decider. But as to writing a better script that could make a better movie, why not someone else - even a fan? I don't want the Guild to stage a strike and have Harrison look like Gandalf for his next Indy outing, but please, someone other than Koepp.

With the greatest respect, as a general rule, there is a reason why those folk are professional screen writers, producers, directors, actors and us not. As much as I may complain about my football team, the reality is, I couldn't compete with a single professional football player. I may have the enthusiasm, perhaps even more passion... but in reality I'd probably struggle keeping up with the rest of the team just in getting out of the tunnel and onto the pitch. ;)

Dr. Gonzo

Darth Vile said:
With the greatest respect, as a general rule, there is a reason why those folk are professional screen writers, producers, directors, actors and us not. As much as I may complain about my football team, the reality is, I couldn't compete with a single professional football player. I may have the enthusiasm, perhaps even more passion... but in reality I'd probably struggle keeping up with the rest of the team just in getting out of the tunnel and onto the pitch. ;)

You know exactly what you are talking about. :gun:
Everybody and their brother thinks they are a screen writer or at least that they could write a great screenplay and the reality is 98% of us really can't. Fan screenplays are notorious for being horrible. Leave it to professionals.

Mickiana

I know what you guys are saying and I agree. I am not positing that being a fan makes you a competent story, script or screen writer, though there may be a fan out there with the abilities to come up with something credible. Just guessing mind you. I suppose I am just trying to veer a hope towards a helpless notion that a story and script could be written that is fashioned without the limitations that resulted in CS. Becoming manifest in the world, well, that's another and highly improbable thing altogether.