About Sallah.

DiscoLad

I was watching the couple hours of extras and people talking about raiders on the DVD that came with my movie pack.

In there they start talking about how Sallah was originally suppose to be captured by Nazis. Then he says something else but I can't understand him and he says thats why it wasn't used in the film.

Anyone catch what happened there?

The Drifter

I don't know what he said, but Sallah was supposed to be knelt down for an execution. Maybe, that what the guy said?

DiscoLad

I just didn't understand what he said. I picked up on what was suppose to happen but I wondered why they cut it out later.

That and what He said in the bonus material.

Stoo

Are you talking about when Rhys-Davis says, "I filled my jalaba"? If so, a jalaba is the Moroccan robe that men wear so Davis is basically saying that he sh*t in his pants when he bent over.:eek:

DiscoLad

That would answer it yup I thought as much.

Well now that that's out of the way...
Thanks, Just curious.

Matt deMille

Over, but I think it'd be cool to continue this . . . A Sallah thread!

Sallah is my favorite character in the series. I think the reason his execution scene was cut was because Spielberg knew that'd be too much of a downer because he's just so cool of a character.

Having met Rhys-Davis, I can easily see why, too. He's just as cool in person as he is in character as Sallah. I really hope he's in Indy 5.

So, how does anybody else feel about Sallah?

DiscoLad said:
I was watching the couple hours of extras and people talking about raiders on the DVD that came with my movie pack. In there they start talking about how Sallah was originally suppose to be captured by Nazis. Then he says something else but I can't understand him and he says thats why it wasn't used in the film. Anyone catch what happened there?
In which making of segment, Raiders or Crusade? How many minutes into it?

Matt deMille said:
I think the reason his execution scene was cut was because Spielberg knew that'd be too much of a downer because he's just so cool of a character.
I think the scene was all about the young german soldier who couldn't carry out his orders to execute Sallah. It reads like you think he was actually killed in the scene. The soldier, who can still be seen in a couple scenes, lets him go...at least that's the impression I got from the photos.

The Drifter

I like Sallah, but I thought he was cruel in one scene.
After Marion is thought dead in Raiders, Indy is drinking his sorrow into oblivion, and meets Belloq at the bar. After the two exchange words, Sallah's kids come in and save Indy from being killed.
Indy sees Sallah and tells him that Marion is dead, and all Sallah can say to comfort his friend is "Life goes on, Indy. There is the proof!"
I always thought that was very cruel. At least show some compassion!

Also, was Sallah meant to be killed off during the deleted execution scene, or was Indy supposed to save him from that fate?

Lonsome_Drifter said:
...was Sallah meant to be killed off during the deleted execution scene, or was Indy supposed to save him from that fate?
5020908978_1f59ae4c08.jpg

5020299421_edd4096243.jpg

Montana Smith

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I like Sallah, but I thought he was cruel in one scene.
After Marion is thought dead in Raiders, Indy is drinking his sorrow into oblivion, and meets Belloq at the bar. After the two exchange words, Sallah's kids come in and save Indy from being killed.
Indy sees Sallah and tells him that Marion is dead, and all Sallah can say to comfort his friend is "Life goes on, Indy. There is the proof!"
I always thought that was very cruel. At least show some compassion!

Also, was Sallah meant to be killed off during the deleted execution scene, or was Indy supposed to save him from that fate?

Grief in an action adventure movie is such a hard task. It usually turns quickly into a revenge plot.

Raiders had more depth of characterization than a lot of action films. Indy drowning his sorrows in the bar, and Belloq rubbing salt into the wounds were great moments of pathos. Somehow Indy has to get over his depression and continue the movie, so Sallah is brutally honest. It's these sort of things that set Raiders above the rest of the pack in the genre.

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
It's not the first.
Matt deMille said:
I think the reason his execution scene was cut was because Spielberg knew that'd be too much of a downer because he's just so cool of a character.
No, definitely not. It always comical when some people profess to know what goes on in Spielberg's (or Lucas') head. As Rocket already mentioned, the soldier was overcome with sympathy and unable to carry out his orders, releases him. Ultimately, the emotional scene was cut because it was too long.
Matt deMille said:
I really hope he's in Indy 5.
I hope not. Two is enough.

Matt deMille

I don't say this to stir up trouble (seriously), but the talk here seems to be about what was in the script VS what was filmed. Well, when I argued about young Indy's age, I had the script thrown at me, regardless of what the camera read. So, by that logic, since the script said Sallah was killed, I imagine that's what the scene would ultimately have been. If it changed, then it changed because Spielberg had a change of mind or heart. I do not profess to know what is in his head, but it's pretty easy to tell when a scene is changed like that.

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
So, by that logic, since the script said Sallah was killed, I imagine that's what the scene would ultimately have been. If it changed, then it changed because Spielberg had a change of mind or heart. I do not profess to know what is in his head, but it's pretty easy to tell when a scene is changed like that.
Well, you are professing to know and are completely wrong. The soldier let him go. Where are you getting the idea that "the script said Sallah was killed"? In the draughts I've read, Sallah is alive & well at the dock of the Bantu Wind.

Stoo said:
Where are you getting the idea that "the script said Sallah was killed"? In the draughts I've read, Sallah is alive & well at the dock of the Bantu Wind.
I'd like to see that script as well!

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Grief in an action adventure movie is such a hard task. It usually turns quickly into a revenge plot.

Raiders had more depth of characterization than a lot of action films. Indy drowning his sorrows in the bar, and Belloq rubbing salt into the wounds were great moments of pathos. Somehow Indy has to get over his depression and continue the movie, so Sallah is brutally honest. It's these sort of things that set Raiders above the rest of the pack in the genre.

I agree with most of your statements, but I still think it was inconsiderate of Sallah to expect Indy to get over her 'death' so fast.
I know it's an action/adventure movie, but any real friend would never place the Ark's value over that of his friend's dead girlfriend.

Hell, Sallah did not even attempt to offer any sort of solace for Indy. Nor did he attempt to offer any kind words.
"Life goes on, Indy. There is the proof!" Like Indy gave a sh*t about Sallah's offspring at that point.
I bet Sallah would take the time to mourn Fayah if he thought that she had died. And, I bet Indy would be there for him as well.

DiscoLad

Matt deMille said:

Sallah is my favorite character in the series. I think the reason his execution scene was cut was because Spielberg knew that'd be too much of a downer because he's just so cool of a character.

Having met Rhys-Davis, I can easily see why, too. He's just as cool in person as he is in character as Sallah. I really hope he's in Indy 5.

So, how does anybody else feel about Sallah?

What have you guys done to my thread? (y)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd like to see that script as well!
Of course, no one ever will since a "Raiders" script with Sallah being killed is yet another figment of deMille's imagination.:rolleyes: