would indy be as popular if tod came out first?

indyclone25

what do you think i think that if temple of doom would have came out itwould have been pretty popular and would have done the box office raiders had --- than when raiders came out it would have suprpassed temple bigtime making raiders even more popular than it was already....

TheMutt92

Possibly. I see this as going two ways: either people would've embraced it because nothing of its kind had come out before, or they would've treated it the same way they did as when it originally came out.

Sam Falco

Indy was a formula, it worked because Indy worked. I think it woulda been just as successful no matter which order the first two came out in.

Niteshade007

The Man said:
Perhaps Raiders would be seen as a betrayal of Doom: too breezy, not enough gore...

That's possible, but had Temple of Doom come out and then Last Crusade, Crusade would probably be extremely hated. That one is breezier and a lot less gorey. Raiders, at least, is a serious film that does have some violence, which those that enjoyed Doom would enjoy in Raiders.

Sam Falco

I think there would have been skeptics of Raiders (just as there are skeptics of Doom) but it would still have achieved the same popularity. Maybe Raiders would be the red-headed stepchild in the trilogy instead?

Dust McAlan

I think it would have worked really well. Especially when, in Raiders, there's that magnificent opening where Indy strolls out of the shadows, and that would have been like "Indy's back!" after Temple. Would have worked marvellously.

Jones_Happens

I just wonder if Raiders or LC would have ever been made following ToD as the first movie. What I mean is, after the success of ToD (and I do think it would have been a success) the powers that be might have seen fit to continue Indy down more of an occult, dark path. The series may have felt more like an homage to adventure horror films.

Raider S

Doom was a sequel in all respects, it would never have been made first. But since we're talking hypothetically I doubt the movie would have been as popular as Raiders. Raiders was a rare film because it appealed to a wide audience, kids AND adults. Star Wars was the same. Doom, even though darker, probably worked better as a kids movie.

jonesissparrow

I was going to post something like this but never got round to do it. I wonder if TOD was out first and didn't get the flack it deserved would it mean that the series tackle different bad guys besides Nazis some of the comic strips of Indiana looks as though they could be good installments for the series. I really think TOD would've gotten more praise if it came out first then if Raiders or Last Crusade came out afterwards.

AnythingGoes

That's something that I never could have fathomed...people actually liking Doom and shunning Raiders! And there was much rejoicing!
:whip:

agull

Of course! "Raiders" is a classic. It would be massive hit today. Great characters, great story, great stunts, great soundtrack.

Matt deMille

Yes, it would have worked

I can see ROTLA as a second film being similar in reception to The Dark Knight over Batman Begins. Maybe TOD would have thrown a few people off with its intensity, but they'd have warmed up to it by the time the second movie came around, then ROTLA would have kicked butt and still been regarded as the best (and hey, in keeping with Star Wars, the second film would have been welcomed a the best . . .)

Matt deMille

Another thought . . . if Temple was done first, would the scheduling necessities have allowed Tom Sellick to have taken the role after all? And if that was the case, if the first film was a Tom Sellick Temple Of Doom, what the hell would that have been like? Would there have been a sequel? Would Raiders have been made differently to play to Sellick's strengths?

Willie

Matt deMille said:
Another thought . . . if Temple was done first, would the scheduling necessities have allowed Tom Sellick to have taken the role after all? And if that was the case, if the first film was a Tom Sellick Temple Of Doom, what the hell would that have been like? Would there have been a sequel? Would Raiders have been made differently to play to Sellick's strengths?
Now there's an interesting thought. ;) I often wondered what would have happened if Sellick had portrayed Indy. In my honest opinion I don't think the Indy film series would have been as popular as they are without Harrison Ford. I also think that Indy would have been as popular if ToD came out first. It's my favorite of all the Indy films.