Why wouldn't Marion tell Indy she had a son?

michael

Attila the Professor said:
Why should Marion? With his track record, why should she?
She shouldn't trust him at all, I agree.

But to not even mention it at all to him is just down right upsetting.

It would've worked better if there was no suspense, that we learn Indy has a son and it's with Marion right from the start, and they finally re-kindle what they had and get back together (sorta how we saw in the film). Granted that would've had to change up some of the plot, but FAMILY-wise, it works better. And character wise, we learn that Indy wasn't absent for the first 18 years.

It's pretty bad to know you have a child and not take care of it and run from the issue, but it's just as bad not telling the actual father that it's his. That's unfair.

Pale Horse

Staff member
michael said:
I would trust Indy to do the RIGHT thing.

A grave robbing, cradle robbing, pedestal placing, occultist would do the RIGHT thing...I'm afraid to ask what that would be....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
It's pretty bad to know you have a child and not take care of it and run from the issue, but it's just as bad not telling the actual father that it's his. That's unfair.

She saw, in Colin Williams, an opportunity for her son to have an uninterrupted semblance of a normal family life.

Colin died during the war. She doubtlessly could have heard from somebody - Marcus, perhaps - what Indy was up to. She might well have known he was off in the war. And besides, why introduce such a non-constant presence into the boy's life. If Ox was willing to be a father figure, that's a good thing. Indy would be a bad example.

michael

If Ox was willing to be a father figure, that's a good thing. Indy would be a bad example.
Ox was a good man for what he did.

But Indy just wasn't given a chance is all I'm saying. And if it's YOUR son, I think you deserve atleast a letter.

But as you and Montana implied that all of her logic of why she didn't just turns to rubbish in the final act of the movie.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
Ox was a good man for what he did.

But Indy just wasn't given a chance is all I'm saying. And if it's YOUR son, I think you deserve atleast a letter.

I get that. But Indy's unreliable, and known for picking up and getting on a plane at the drop of a hat. Not only does that mean he'd probably be a bad father, it means he shouldn't know that he even is a father, so he doesn't destroy the stable life Marion was trying to create for her son.

After all, Marion herself was dragged around the world by her father searching for "pieces of junk," and she clearly didn't like it. Why would she want to introduce her son not only to the same instability, but to the same sort of father?

...it means he shouldn't know that he even is a father, so he doesn't destroy the stable life Marion was trying to create for her son.
I have a problem with this in as much as she already made a decision to mate with an unreliable man.

But I guess she makes things up as she goes too...

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
A grave robbing, cradle robbing, pedestal placing, occultist would do the RIGHT thing...I'm afraid to ask what that would be....

All that beats the 'hero' tag any day! :D

After all, Marion herself was dragged around the world by her father searching for "pieces of junk," and she clearly didn't like it. Why would she want to introduce her son not only to the same instability, but to the same sort of father?

That sort of instability could get her son killed. Colin and the Ox were probably dull father figures by compariosn, and yes, more likely to keep her son alive. It's ironic, however, that it will be Indy who's the father to bring out the best in the 'tearaway'. So much so that it's the son teaching the father the rights and wrongs of grave robbing.

Maybe Indy is such a bad role model that it shocks some sense into Mutt?

Rocket Surgeon said:
I have a problem with this in as much as she already made a decision to mate with an unreliable man.

The sea air. Relief to still be alive. And one night of lust...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:

And I agree that you're right to have a problem with it.

But ultimately, it makes more sense for her to pick up the pieces as best she can and adopt a more pragmatic approach to the raising of her son.

michael

I get that. But Indy's unreliable, and known for picking up and getting on a plane at the drop of a hat. Not only does that mean he'd probably be a bad father, it means he shouldn't know that he even is a father, so he doesn't destroy the stable life Marion was trying to create for her son.

You make TERRIFIC points (as usual), but with what Rocket said, it just leads to being unfair.

I guess it just comes down to a moral decision. She probably had a difficult time keeping it to herself.

I wonder if any of the ladies have anything to say about this.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
You make TERRIFIC points (as usual),

:hat: You as well, sir. It's a pleasure.

michael said:
...but with what Rocket said, it just leads to being unfair.

I guess it just comes down to a moral decision. She probably had a difficult time keeping it to herself.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I wonder if there was ever any consideration given to spending anytime on Indy being unhappy about this being kept from him.

And as far as your side of the argument goes, Indy <I>does</I> change his tune on the finishing school question once he finds out who Mutt is, so perhaps he would have rose to the occasion had Marion told him sooner. Of course, there's still no way Marion could have known that, or strong reason for us to think that it would last.

michael said:
I wonder if any of the ladies have anything to say about this.

Me too.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
You know, I tried to ask Karen about that, and I didn't get much of a response.

I think the nail's already been hit on the head- the fact is Indy is the same kind of guy as Abner and that her attraction to Indy has always been a Freudian thing. Her need for affection from her dad. I've always suspected that Abner however may have been a darker character than Indy (Deadlock's people's Indy 4 script comes to mind). In any case, that's kind of what's been my standing on why Marion's attracted to Indy.

Why didn't she tell Indy? Maybe she didn't know about her pregnancy straight away- some women don't get all the usual symptoms and don't notice till a few months down the track. And since he left her a week before the wedding and never heard back- she may have thought he could be dead somewhere. She then meets Colin and ends up married and with a decent father figure for Henry III despite a letter from Indy sent a year later. She sees no point in telling Indy. Then Colin dies. She needs a father figure- she picks Ox.

At this juncture though, she could have told Indy however probably figures chances are he be fighting in the war in some capacity and doesn't want Henry III to chance losing another Dad. So Ox becomes best choice because he isn't fighting in the war. Over time, she and Henry III (maybe Ox?) move back to the USA. Henry III's is in his late teen's at ths point and is practically nearly all grown up. Chances she may not know if Indy made it out of the war alive and in any case, Henry III doesn't really need a father figure as much any more and is attached enough to Ox anyway. Fastforward to Skull and the happenings of that- in that she somehow knows Indy's alive and well and where he's teaching. So the question is- did she keep tabs on him? Possibly.

My guess then becomes that she does love him- but does't want trouble that usually becomes associated with him. Ultimately, she was trying to do what she thought was right by her son and wouldn't be as shun upon in society (this depends on whether Colin or Ox was present at his birth). She may have been ahead of her time, but she wouldn't risk her son's life unless she had to. Ad let's face it- not likely that he got into those fancy schools with the status of being illegit.

Then and I'll end this here, raises another question-would you rather have your child know the complicated truth or would you rather leave them to what they know to be their father and continue to live their life?

Cole

And that's what's hard to buy, in light of the rest of it.
I suppose the same argument could be made for 'Raiders.' Marion goes from hating Indy at her tavern to being pretty chummy with him in their next scene in Cairo.......I suppose that's why an emphasis is made on their past history in the dialogue; it's easier to accept their reconciliation.

I think it's the same thing in 'Crystal Skull.' We, the audience, are aware of their history and we see their residual feelings for each on screen ("They weren't you honey"). The film also emphasises Indy's loneliness in his older age ("It seems we reach the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away"). The inference is Indy is finally ready to settle down and appreciate and value what he has ("How much of human life is lost in waiting?"). So I didn't have a problem with their reconciliation........keep in mind this is Indiana Jones, not a romance. The writers don't have the luxury of dwelling on personal relationships.

As far as the topic.......this was the 1930's. When Indy runs off, there's no cell phone, e-mail, or facebook to track him down. He vanished. Indy says he wrote, but it was a year later when Mutt was already born and Marion was married.....she never had the opportunity to tell Indy about Mutt before the birth.

It seems likely that Marion refused to tell Indy about Mutt because she was committed to the family she already had.....Indy didn't have a place, and again, that sort of thing would not have been well-received in the 30's and 40's.

Obviously they had to work around the story already established in 'Raiders' and the sequels.....but it's good enough for me.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Cole said:
I suppose the same argument could be made for 'Raiders.' Marion goes from hating Indy at her tavern to being pretty chummy with him in their next scene in Cairo.......I suppose that's why an emphasis is made on their past history in the dialogue; it's easier to accept their reconciliation.

Yeah, but there's a lot more cause for resentment after Indy having burned Marion seriously a second time. The scene at the Raven was better acted and written than the argument at the Russian camp, in which, as much as I point fingers at Allen's performance, wasn't Ford's proudest moment either. It's cartoony, and takes what is sensible as a serious argument - and has been treated as such in Raiders - and turns it into an opportunity for mugging and confused, Marcus 2.0 finger gestures and misplaced humor. Crystal Skull is much less consistent about letting the scenes of legitimate drama breath when compared with the prior films, even Temple of Doom, which has some lovely moments in the village sequence and throughout.

Cole said:
I think it's the same thing in 'Crystal Skull.' We, the audience, are aware of their history and we see their residual feelings for each on screen ("They weren't you honey"). The film also emphasises Indy's loneliness in his older age ("It seems we reach the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away"). The inference is Indy is finally ready to settle down and appreciate and value what he has ("How much of human life is lost in waiting?"). So I didn't have a problem with their reconciliation........keep in mind this is Indiana Jones, not a romance. The writers don't have the luxury of dwelling on personal relationships.

Those last two lines are the sort of thing that are often bandied about, but I don't buy it. Again, Raiders in particular dealt seriously with Indy and Marion's relationship, and while you're right to an extent that most of the seriousness is front-loaded, we've also got Indy dealing with putting Marion into danger for the sake of the Ark. That thematic line, along with the one about the shadowy side of archaeology and how things become priceless with Belloq, is why the scene in the canyon before the opening of the Ark is so perfect in its bringing together of the film's two major thematic lines.

I more or less agree with your account of what the set-up was intended to be for the storyline going as it did, but it wasn't persuasive or treated with enough moments of credible humanity to be bought as real.

Cole said:
As far as the topic.......this was the 1930's. When Indy runs off, there's no cell phone, e-mail, or facebook to track him down. He vanished. Indy says he wrote, but it was a year later when Mutt was already born and Marion was married.....she never had the opportunity to tell Indy about Mutt before the birth.

It seems likely that Marion refused to tell Indy about Mutt because she was committed to the family she already had.....Indy didn't have a place, and again, that sort of thing would not have been well-received in the 30's and 40's.

Obviously they had to work around the story already established in 'Raiders' and the sequels.....but it's good enough for me.

I agree with everything save for the notion that Indy wouldn't be reachable. He's constantly reachable when he's on campus, and I think it's more likely - and better story - to think that Marion wouldn't want to get in touch with him after him leaving her at the altar.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Cole said:

Yeah, but there's a lot more cause for resentment after Indy having burned Marion seriously a second time. The scene at the Raven was better acted and written than the argument at the Russian camp, in which, as much as I point fingers at Allen's performance, wasn't Ford's proudest moment either. It's cartoony, and takes what is sensible as a serious argument - and has been treated as such in Raiders - and turns it into an opportunity for mugging and confused, Marcus 2.0 finger gestures and misplaced humor. Crystal Skull is much less consistent about letting the scenes of legitimate drama breath when compared with the prior films, even Temple of Doom, which has some lovely moments in the village sequence and throughout.

Cole said:

Those last two lines are the sort of thing that are often bandied about, but I don't buy it. Again, Raiders in particular dealt seriously with Indy and Marion's relationship, and while you're right to an extent that most of the seriousness is front-loaded, we've also got Indy dealing with putting Marion into danger for the sake of the Ark. That thematic line, along with the one about the shadowy side of archaeology and how things become priceless with Belloq, is why the scene in the canyon before the opening of the Ark is so perfect in its bringing together of the film's two major thematic lines.

I more or less agree with your account of what the set-up was intended to be for the storyline going as it did, but it wasn't persuasive or treated with enough moments of credible humanity to be bought as real.

Cole said:

I agree with everything save for the notion that Indy wouldn't be reachable. He's constantly reachable when he's on campus, and I think it's more likely - and better story - to think that Marion wouldn't want to get in touch with him after him leaving her at the altar.

Cole

They didn't try to make Indy and Marion's first encounter in 'Crystal Skull' anything like their first encounter in 'Raiders'......personally, I think it's funny and entertaining; I suppose it attempts to play up to the fans (like the snake scene), but I find it entertaining and witty nonetheless.

Is it misplaced? That's the question.....certainly with the tone in 'Crystal Skull,' I don't think it's out-of-place as is.

It'd be immensely difficult to try to have a first encounter that was like the one in 'Raiders'.....the audience has no prior expectations or familiarities with the two in 'Raiders.' That allowed for some interesting allusions to their past in the dialogue, some real tension between the two, and it makes for a great scene.

We have familiarity in 'Crystal Skull.' The audience is happy and delighted to see Marion return; and that's what I mean when they play up to the fans - they keep it humorous and they make her return enjoyable. It would've been tough to do what they did in 'Raiders.'

And despite the humor (which isn't always such a bad thing, you know), Marion is still spunky as ever matching Indy word for word in their argument; I liked that about the scene.

Actually, for me, the best film in the series that deals with personal relationships is 'Last Crusade.' As great as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is, I think the relationship between Indy and Marion is fairly routine.....you get the tacked-on ending with Marion saying she knows what she's got and buying Indy a drink. It's not necessarily a complaint; that's just what these movies are. It's not a romance. The way the relationships seem to carry out in these movies are that a clash of some sort is presented in the beginning, and then the characters "find" each other along the adventure and by the end of the movie everyone lives happily ever after.

That's not to say the characters aren't great or that the moments between them aren't great; it's just that the story is fairly one-dimensional IMO.

To me, any theme of Indy blaming himself for putting Marion in harm's way for the Ark is pretty thin. Yes, he gets drunk after he thinks Marion is killed, but I think it shows he cares about her.....not so much that he blames himself; Marion was a willing volunteer for the adventure. I mean, I'm not disagreeing that Indy wouldn't blame himself and have guilt......I just don't see it as a major theme driving the movie. Or else he may have just left the Ark behind and took Marion home as soon as he got the chance.

Mmm, good point. I suppose, then, that Marion was unwilling to communicate with Indy until he cared enough to contact her first.

oki9Sedo

Its a rather unpleasant and uncomfortable plot point that gets brushed away quite quickly and lightly (but perhaps appropriately so? This is Indiana Jones, not Mike Leigh)

Indy's angry and *****es about it but then just seems to ignore it. Its kind a of a big, big, BIG f---ing deal, the fact that someone has had your son hidden from you for 19 years. Jesus.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
To start off, I'll confess that there could have been things more insulting than what we got in Indy and Marion's relationship in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Marion could have been in some sad, unhappy state wherein she needed Indy to save her or something, making him into a sort of hero he decidedly is not. But that's not to say that it wasn't insulting.

Cole said:
They didn't try to make Indy and Marion's first encounter in 'Crystal Skull' anything like their first encounter in 'Raiders'......personally, I think it's funny and entertaining; I suppose it attempts to play up to the fans (like the snake scene), but I find it entertaining and witty nonetheless.

Is it misplaced? That's the question.....certainly with the tone in 'Crystal Skull,' I don't think it's out-of-place as is.

I think it is misplaced with what has come before, because it is the moment in the film wherein real human stakes are turned into an opportunity for an opportunity for easy laughs and nostalgia.

I've long said that Marion's emergence from that tent is when the film starts to take a substantial downturn, but until right now I don't think I quite understood <I>why</I> that was. Here's what it is.

The more tonal, character-based beats earlier in the film are treated with ample seriousness and gravity, despite what their other flaws might be. No, maybe we don't know Mac as well as we might, but their history is fairly well-established by the time he betrays Indy, and Indy's real hurt their shows us what the friendship meant to him. We might not really need the scene that introduces the aborted Indy-under-suspicion plot line, but Ford is suitably offended, as carries through to the scenes with Stanforth. Stanforth is a Marcus stand-in, sure, and the use of the old "Illumination" musical cue was, I think, an unfortunate misappropriation of a powerful bit of music, but I really buy Indy's readiness to leave his entire life behind and take a teaching post in East Germany. There's not much to Indy's interactions with Mutt, but the character humor there works throughout, primarily at the diner and during the chase, because the context is either dialogue or a slightly silly chase sequence. (Silly by virtue of its locale more than the action it contains.) And the material in the tent competes, for my money, with the warehouse, Doomtown, and the ants sequence as the best five minute stretch in the film. Spalko's plans for the skull are credible enough and well-suited both to the Soviets as villains and the mythology we're given, the skull is suitably mysterious and dangerous as Indy is looking at it, and Mac's history with Indy provides an opportunity for both character conflict and organic humor. Hell, even Oxley is sort of sad.

But then Marion is dragged out of her tent, saying a line that I was somehow convinced was a direct repeat of a line from Raiders with "Russkie" put in place of "Nazi." Even so, there's still similar lines in Raiders: "You traitor, get your hands off me" "Don't you touch me" "Get your damn hands off me." Thus, it's hard not to see it as an intentional callback.

There's some good here; for example, Indy has a look of suitable dread when he first sees Marion being dragged out of the tent, despite Marion's smile being either a misstep or a calculated move to please the fans. I also like the "human wreckage" line, and the "You had to go and get yourself kidnapped" "not like you did any better" "Same old, same old" exchange definitely works, once they actually have a gun pointing directly at them. There the tonality works, and the sniping are more asides than overplayed jabs.

Part of the oddness of this scene may be the way that Spalko, Dovchenko, and the other Russians are all turned into set dressing as these domestic squabbles are somehow allowed to play out without interruption. Maybe another piece of the problem is that the suburban lifestyle whose alien nature to Indy is shown so well in the Doom Town sequence is given center stage here with Marion and Mutt's exchange ("I didn't get any phone calls..."?), as it is later with the fencing. (Indy can have a family, but treating Marion as a "fencing mom" is easy humor that isn't rooted in the character, but rather in a type.)

There's too much smiling, frankly, without much edge to it. Marion - or should I say, Karen Allen? - seems far too pleased to be able to say these words to Indy. I'd even be happy with Indy's giddiness were it not accompanied by barely concealed happiness on Marion's part. They don't feel like they're in danger, and there's no way of denying that they are. That's why the exchange ending in "Same old, same old" <I>works</I>, and quite well; it has, like the "I thought we were friends, Mac" exchange, a sense that they are words that need to be said that are being said as succinctly as possible in the midst of a dangerous circumstance.

Cole said:
It'd be immensely difficult to try to have a first encounter that was like the one in 'Raiders'.....the audience has no prior expectations or familiarities with the two in 'Raiders.' That allowed for some interesting allusions to their past in the dialogue, some real tension between the two, and it makes for a great scene.

I don't think the fact that we're going into it without any knowledge determines what the scene can have in it. Sure, that's the condition that most dramatic situations are created in, one in which we don't know the characters previously and their history is only revealed to us as they interact with each other. But Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has something akin to the gift of long-form television, where the fact that we know the characters enhances scenes and grants us a deeper, richer sort of tension. Allusions can be just slid over, as the artists at work can be subtler.

The only sense in which the audience's lack of prior expectations might have helped Raiders is that they had to work harder to establish Indy's key relationships in that film - with Marion, with Belloq, with Marcus, and with Sallah - with excellent writing and subtly rich performances.

Cole said:
We have familiarity in 'Crystal Skull.' The audience is happy and delighted to see Marion return; and that's what I mean when they play up to the fans - they keep it humorous and they make her return enjoyable. It would've been tough to do what they did in 'Raiders.'

And despite the humor (which isn't always such a bad thing, you know), Marion is still spunky as ever matching Indy word for word in their argument; I liked that about the scene.

Her return may be enjoyable, but is it otherwise fulfilling or substantial? You imply that I think humor has no place in this, but there can still be humor in a scene without the performances themselves turning into cartoonish displays of giddiness and confusion on Indy's part and oversold enthusiasm and sarcasm on Marion's. There's humor in all of the most serious exchanges in Raiders, after all! Colonel Musgrove turns ever so subtly into an excited schoolboy when he knows the answer! Belloq notes Indy's poor choice of friends with the monkey! Belloq and Marion's whole scene in the tent is pretty funny, but also rooted in character <I>and</I> context, since it's dependent upon her trying to escape as well as what appears to be legitimate mutual interest between them. Raiders is a master class in integrating all the elements of basic Hollywood storytelling - dramatic relationships, conflicting desires, action, humor, spectacle, superb set-dressing - and it does most of these things all at once, and better than its successor films, in most cases.

It wouldn't have been tough to do what they did in Raiders, if they looked at it as a particular form of quality action filmmaking rather than an attempt to rebottle the same magic formula again by replaying similar pieces of dialogue.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Continued...

Cole said:
Actually, for me, the best film in the series that deals with personal relationships is 'Last Crusade.' As great as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is, I think the relationship between Indy and Marion is fairly routine.....you get the tacked-on ending with Marion saying she knows what she's got and buying Indy a drink. It's not necessarily a complaint; that's just what these movies are. It's not a romance. The way the relationships seem to carry out in these movies are that a clash of some sort is presented in the beginning, and then the characters "find" each other along the adventure and by the end of the movie everyone lives happily ever after.

That's not to say the characters aren't great or that the moments between them aren't great; it's just that the story is fairly one-dimensional IMO.

You can get away with a lot in acting for a narrative if the portrayals are rooted in some sort of essentially realistic humanity. This is the case in the scene at the Raven in Raiders and the scene in the marketplace, so what you are right to note as the rather different character of those scenes still works as part of a single evolving relationship because the base commonality in them is that these people are behaving as anyone might in a similar situation. (The film also has the advantage of us missing the entire time they spent travelling, and then that lovely grace note of the wordless exchange on Sallah's patio.) It's also a relationship that doesn't move in only one direction. There's still conflict between them later in the film, most specifically in the Well of Souls ("Where'd you get that, from him?" and so forth), dialogue that is played in the midst of danger rather than as a break from it.

I feel that it is misreading the film to think there's only a clash between them in the beginning, in short. And <I>their</I> process of reconciliation is played out in the midst of Indy's own narrative wherein his desire to obtain the Ark (remember, this is the film that keeps talking about Indy's shadowy reflection) is played against his ability to protect Marion. The only reason it makes sense for Indy to leave Marion behind in the tent is because he won't be able to get to the Ark if he releases her; it's solid storytelling with an organic conflict. And there's also credible jealousy in their love triangle involving Belloq; there's ample reason to suggest Marion is being honest when she says she has "no loyalty to Jones; he's brought [her] nothing but trouble." Indeed, that sure seems to be what we've seen on screen, isn't it?

Cole said:
To me, any theme of Indy blaming himself for putting Marion in harm's way for the Ark is pretty thin. Yes, he gets drunk after he thinks Marion is killed, but I think it shows he cares about her.....not so much that he blames himself; Marion was a willing volunteer for the adventure. I mean, I'm not disagreeing that Indy wouldn't blame himself and have guilt......I just don't see it as a major theme driving the movie. Or else he may have just left the Ark behind and took Marion home as soon as he got the chance.

He <I>was</I> going to just leave the Ark behind and take Marion home, but <I>not</I> as soon as he got the chance. It's not a static characterization. Indy has an arc of development in which he finally reaches a point - not one of desperation, as when he prepares to get himself killed in order to murder Belloq - where he can give up the Ark for a higher cause of love. (It's a stealthy thing, here: the talk of what the Nazis are going to do with the Ark in the scene with Army Intel is shoved aside for what Indy and Marcus will gain from having the Ark for much of the remainder of the film, making its place in history and its status as a significant find foremost in our mind.) The scene in the canyon is the core of the film, and, as I suggested a few posts above, it would not be that if it didn't incorporate Indy's relationship with Marion into it in a substantial way that makes it come into conflict with his other goal. It's masterful stuff.

Crusade has development throughout the film as well, and so does Temple, although there's not really any of that left after "Right. All of us." I like a lot of character moments in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but they tend to be just that: moments, rather than some pattern of character development. I like a couple bits between Indy and Marion at camp, and "They weren't you, honey" works, but that's the final moment of conflict between them, which I don't buy. Anything better than that was a casualty of too many characters, one supposes, with the result that all of them got short shrift.

But then Marion is dragged out of her tent, saying a line that I was somehow convinced was a direct repeat of a line from Raiders with "Russkie" put in place of "Nazi." Even so, there's still similar lines in Raiders: "You traitor, get your hands off me" "Don't you touch me" "Get your damn hands off me." Thus, it's hard not to see it as an intentional callback.
Its certainly a call back to her line in the Raven as she's being handed over the bar...

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

A good read, Attila.

...I really buy Indy's readiness to leave his entire life behind and take a teaching post in East Germany.

It didn't register before that Leipzig was in East Germany. That makes Indy's feeling of resignation all the more drastic, opting to work in a satellite of the Soviet Union. It also says a lot about his feelings about America, that he might feel less restricted under Communist rule.