Indiana Jones ICE-CREAM

DaveTheHutt

deckard24 said:
Indiana Jones ice cream... come on!!

This is the oversaturation I've been talking about! It's gonna be bad enough that Indy will be at the fast food drive-thru, and at the gas station and convenience store on candy wrappers and soda cans. Can't they just have merchandise in book stores, toy stores, and a couple of one-stop-shops like Target, Walmart, etc.? Maybe it's just me, but this kind of thing just cheapens the character to me. I know it's for kids, and if I was 7 again I'd be eating IJ ice cream, cereal, candy, you name it! I don't know, maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age.

If I'm wrong somebody tell me, but I don't believe they did anything this wide spread back in the day for the original films. There were the Diet Coke commercials, but wasn't that the extent of the food industries involvement?

Given the expected popularity of the movie, tie-ins like this are inevitable. As much as we love these movies, to the studios they're just products to be exploited as profitably as they can - and if that means Indy's face appearing on sheets of toilet paper, so be it. :(

I know where you're coming from - my love for Star Wars has been nearly eradicated not only by the sub-par Prequels (which successfuly managed to remove all the magic from the myths hinted at in the OT) but also the saturation of merchandise. When Phantom Menace came out you couldn't walk down the street without being bombarded by crap with Darth Maul's mug on it.

Just enjoy the film and try to ignore the crap, that's what I say.

deckard24

DaveTheHutt said:
Given the expected popularity of the movie, tie-ins like this are inevitable. As much as we love these movies, to the studios they're just products to be exploited as profitably as they can - and if that means Indy's face appearing on sheets of toilet paper, so be it. :(

I know where you're coming from - my love for Star Wars has been nearly eradicated not only by the sub-par Prequels (which successfuly managed to remove all the magic from the myths hinted at in the OT) but also the saturation of merchandise. When Phantom Menace came out you couldn't walk down the street without being bombarded by crap with Darth Maul's mug on it.

Just enjoy the film and try to ignore the crap, that's what I say.
Thanks!

That's exactly where I'm coming from! Even though there was Indy merch back in the day, it was always more elusive and hard to come by. That was part of the fun of finding and collecting stuff. When you literally can't even go to the grocery store to pick up some milk and eggs without seeing Indy, crystal skulls, and Shia, it just kind of turns me off a bit. I'm sure this is how it will be in a few months as we get closer to 5/22.

It's good to see I'm not in the minority! And, yes the SW prequels and the oversaturation of merchandise and marketing, really took away from the OT for me. It will be along time before I can watch the original films again.

MattJones

Was I the only one that immediately wanted to go out and buy it? Shame on me and my compulsive need to buy whatever Indy is plastered on.

I've been known to buy chocolate cereal (not something I eat) if it was labeled with Star Wars or Pirates. I never ate it, of course, because it tasted awful, but I am still in this abusive relationship with Tie-In Foods.

(Drank Game Fuel like no other prior to Halo 3)

I'm a mess. :sick:

JerryKing

Hmmm... there may be something more to this merchandise, judging by those script fragments leaked today on notcomingmovies...

EXT. STREET OUTSIDE THE STORE - DAY

Indy walks out of the store; Mutt is waiting for him by a lamppost, eating an ice cream cone.

MUTT
How'd it go?

INDY
Don't ask.

MUTT
Well, at least I got something out of this...

INDY
What?

MUTT
These. Want one? Best ice cream I've ever had. Already ate two cones.

INDY
(dismissively, clearly thinking of something else)
No... not now.

MUTT
C'mon, it's Nestle!

INDY
(surprised)
Nestle...? Why didn't you say so in the first place...! Where are they?

skoolwp1.gif
:D
skoolwp1.gif

JimmyPSHayes

I'm totally in for those!!! Fantastic!! I do wish they were somehow shaped like a hat or an Indy artifact, but that's OK. I figure I'm going to enjoy the "over-saturation" of Indy while I can. It's been SO bare for SO long, it doesn't bother me. And besides, there's no law that says you HAVE to buy everything, just get what you want/like.

Adamwankenobi

deckard24 said:
Indiana Jones ice cream... come on!!

This is the oversaturation I've been talking about! It's gonna be bad enough that Indy will be at the fast food drive-thru, and at the gas station and convenience store on candy wrappers and soda cans. Can't they just have merchandise in book stores, toy stores, and a couple of one-stop-shops like Target, Walmart, etc.? Maybe it's just me, but this kind of thing just cheapens the character to me. I know it's for kids, and if I was 7 again I'd be eating IJ ice cream, cereal, candy, you name it! I don't know, maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age.

If I'm wrong somebody tell me, but I don't believe they did anything this wide spread back in the day for the original films. There were the Diet Coke commercials, but wasn't that the extent of the food industries involvement?

So much for those guys saying KOTCS wasn't being advertised enough. :p

Katarn07

deckard24 said:
This is the oversaturation I've been talking about! Maybe it's just me, but this kind of thing just cheapens the character to me. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age

I agree with all that. I don't think the prequels made me lose interest in Star Wars, it was the marketing of TPM! Overexposure to it made it get a bit annoying. Same can be said for most superhero movies and Pirates. I like them, but when it's everywhere, it gets old.

I'm not getting any of the stuff outside of the toys. That much I know.

Ska

hehehe

I like it, Adam!

My only comment on this is...does every single new Indy item box/container have to look exactly the same? I mean, other than the Dr. Pepper and M&Ms and cereal box, everything else has that same look to it.

Deckard

By the time this movie actually comes out they'll have enough items to open there own Indiana Jones Supermarkets.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
MattJones said:
my compulsive need to buy whatever Indy is plastered on.
I think we'll wait in vain for Indiana Jones whiskey, Matt.

They should have printed the sticks like staffs of Ra, with basic math instructions on which slot it should be inserted into on the back of the box, featuring a picture of the map room. But if you get the stick printed on both sides ("subtract 1 cm") you could send it to Nestle and win something.
Or: print on each Toht's not-yet-melted face!

No Ticket

It makes no sense, the shape... I mean with Spider-Man 3 it kind of makes sense... they lookl ike spider webs or something. Maybe they're supposed to be tangled up whips? lol.

You sure that's not just a placeholder image for the example of the packaging?

If it isn't... well, it does look delicious... but I mean, it should be skull or fedora shaped. Or something.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
The only ice cream they should have is:

Nestle's Chilled Monkey Brains on a stick!

Now that would be gross and cool - literally!
(y)

Indy_Chic

Adamwankenobi said:
They needed to show Willie on the box and call it "I Scream!" :p

Lol! I love that idea!(y)

Indy icecream sure sounds kinda cool though, like some of you guys, I'm not too sure about the shape. :confused: