Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol?

pellman

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Was the pistol in ToD (the one Willie drops out of the window) even Indiana's own pistol? I thought that he got it from Wu Han when he lay dying in Indy's arms.

The gun was in the car. It was Indy's car.

Udvarnoky

Did no one mention the part in Brunwald castle where he yanks the machine gun out of the Nazi's hands and guns down three dudes at once? That's some passionate lip service.

Darth Vile said:
I'm not one for the celebration of gun culture... so I'm quite glad Indy never comes across as a Dirty Harry type hero

That's right, he never came across that way, and what's being pointed out is a disparity between Indy4 and the other movies.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Bah, now I feel dumb. I have watched that movie so many times, and never really realized that.

I swear, it was only a few years ago that I realized Indy not having his pistol when he needed it on the rope bridge was a call back to losing it in the prologue. Nice touch.

Last edited:

Cole

If you were looking for bloodshed and a flatly serious action/adventure movie.............I think you were watching the wrong movie.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Did no one mention the part in Brunwald castle where he yanks the machine gun out of the Nazi's hands and guns down three dudes at once? That's some passionate lip service.

I was taking about a bonafide "shoot out" a la the Raven bar rather than a fleeting scene. I thought, as someone who looks for substance/narrative, that you would have required something a little more intelligent/creative than Indy briefly using an automatic weapon to dispatch a couple of Nazi's? ;)

Udvarnoky said:
That's right, he never came across that way, and what's being pointed out is a disparity between Indy4 and the other movies.
The point I was making is that the "disparity" (or perception of disparity) is largely moot. This is because, outside of the Raven bar scene in Raiders, the set pieces mainly consist of vehicular chases and fist fights. Assuming that the claim of "disparity" is a criticism of KOTCS, I find any such claim to be somewhat baseless.

Udvarnoky said:
I swear, it was only a few years ago that I realized Indy not having his pistol when he needed it on the rope bridge was a call back to losing it in the prologue. Nice touch.
And it's also a timely reminder that for the vast majority of TOD, Indy does not use a gun. Thanks for pointing that out.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
I was taking about a bonafide "shoot out" a la the Raven bar rather than a fleeting scene.

I guess I overlooked the part where people were discussing the lack of "bonafide shootouts" in Indy4.

Darth Vile said:
I thought, as someone who looks for substance/narrative, that you would have required something a little more intelligent/creative than Indy briefly using an automatic weapon to dispatch a couple of Nazi's?

See, if I were you, I'd probably make some ridiculous leap/accusation that you hold Indiana Jones movies as equivalent to James Joyce and go on to sanctimoniously lecture you about escapist cinema, but instead I'll just silently reel at how completely you've managed to miss the point.

Darth Vile said:
The point I was making is that the "disparity" (or perception of disparity) is largely moot.

It's not though. The disparity being observed is the lack of Indy gunplay in Indy4 compared to the other three films. It's simple, and it's a fact. The significance or necessity of Indy firing a gun is a different topic, but to call the disparity this thread was created about "moot" is simply wrong.

Darth Vile said:
And it's also a timely reminder that for the vast majority of TOD, Indy does not use a gun.

And if this discussion was about whether or not Indy uses his gun in Indy4 for "the majority of the movie," maybe that would mean something. It's weird that you would even point that out as significant, because he certainly doesn't use his gun in Raiders of the Lost Ark for "the majority of the movie," either. Not even close. Why do you go into Indiana Jones movies expecting to see Dirty Harry and gorefests?! (Sorry, I was just trying out your shtick for a second - I hate myself now. But man, arguing is so much easier when you just make stuff up about the other person!)

EDIT: I think you adding a wink smiley to your little jab actually made it more offensive.

Last edited:

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Bah, now I feel dumb. I have watched that movie so many times, and never really realized that.
Not to rub salt in the wound but there's something else you missed.:p Like Rocket said, Wu Han's gun was removed from the table. How can a fan of "Doom" not know this?:whip:

Jonesy9906753

Cole said:
Indy never uses his revolver that much to begin with.
Hey have you ever seen a movie called Raiders Of The Lost Ark?

136.jpg

181.jpg

188.jpg

and thats just when he shoots it.
he pulls it out alot of times throughout the film

Cole

I didn't say he never uses it at all..............geez.

Sure, he uses it the most in Raiders of the Lost Ark.........but I really don't think that changes what I said: in the first 3 films, he doesn't use his revolver THAT much.

And if bloodshed, violence, and gunfire is what makes Indy great to you............then you and I are on completely different spectrums. Like I said, if that's what you were hoping for, you were watching the wrong movie. That's not what the first 3 movies were about.

Mickiana

It was definitely out of character for Indy to not shoot his hand gun in KotCS. Yes, the edge was missing.

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Not to rub salt in the wound but there's something else you missed.:p Like Rocket said, Wu Han's gun was removed from the table. How can a fan of "Doom" not know this?:whip:

I am ashamed. You are right! I never realized any of these things. I do not deserve to call myself a fan of ToD!
I must now go re-watch it just to see these parts.

Way of the dodo

It's not that Indy needs to blow people away, but the fact that he doesn't even try to get his hands on a gun throughout the second half is one of a lot of little things that help undercut the danger. (and the costume does look sort of incomplete without the holster.) Even in Last Crusade he always has it ready when it's appropriate. The Temple of Doom situation is different because it's a deliberate plot point/gag that he forgot he doesn't have it. (and he also shot a guy in the throat in the first 10 minutes). It's all very CGI walkie talkie.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I think gunplay is still a strong element of Indy, why else would Gilles have bothered making a shooting smiley after all? :gun:

Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol in KOTCS? Probably coz it got replaced with a walkie talkie. :p

To me, it's not so much if he uses it or not, it's how effective the use of the gun is in the film (and in that cementary, it's one of the most effective gags in KOTCS).

indyartist

This was my point. He didn't even shoot it in KOTCS whereas in the other Indys he did. He used it the most in Raiders I believe. Also for him NOT to have his gun and holster for most of the movie KOTCS (a very important part of his costume with other leather belt too) was different.

Jonesy9906753

Cole said:
And if bloodshed, violence, and gunfire is what makes Indy great to you............then you and I are on completely different spectrums. Like I said, if that's what you were hoping for, you were watching the wrong movie. That's not what the first 3 movies were about.

No i just dont like you
and i was proving a point
that one Henry Jones Jr. did in fact
in the films make use of his revolver
seems youre trying to put me out to
be one Mark David Chapman
youre looking in the wrong place fellah
oh yeah,just for kicks
:gun: