Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol?

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
I guess I overlooked the part where people were discussing the lack of "bonafide shootouts" in Indy4.

Because anything less would be facile right? Surely we should make the distinction (I know I tried to)?

Udvarnoky said:
See, if I were you, I'd probably make some ridiculous leap/accusation that you hold Indiana Jones movies as equivalent to James Joyce and go on to sanctimoniously lecture you about escapist cinema, but instead I'll just silently reel at how completely you've managed to miss the point.

I don?t think I missed the point. I was alluding to the view that many of your points seem to be shaped out of a dislike for the movie, rather than rationale and distilled thought (a debate we?ve had for some time now).

Udvarnoky said:
It's not though. The disparity being observed is the lack of Indy gunplay in Indy4 compared to the other three films. It's simple, and it's a fact. The significance or necessity of Indy firing a gun is a different topic, but to call the disparity this thread was created about "moot" is simply wrong.

Firstly, one could (if one had the will) argue that there is a disparity between any given movie and the rest (doesn?t mean it?s a credible disparity to raise). Secondly, as stated in my other post, I?m making an assumption that this particular ?disparity? concerning guns has a negative connotation on your part i.e. indicative of why you believe KOTCS to be inferior (if this is not the case then please let me know).

Lets agree on something? There isn?t a lack of guns and bullets being fired in KOTCS. If there were, I?d agree with your position. On the contrary, I?d argue that there is some consistency between the sequels in relation to this subject i.e. there is a step back from Indy actively using a gun. Again, I?d posit that the best action scenes in KOTCS, and the other movies, don?t actually involve Indy shooting a gun, or being in a gun fight. Therefore, IMHO, the assertion that lack of Indy gun play in KOTCS makes for an inferior movie is moot i.e. largely irrelevant (to me at least).

Udvarnoky said:
And if this discussion was about whether or not Indy uses his gun in Indy4 for "the majority of the movie," maybe that would mean something. It's weird that you would even point that out as significant, because he certainly doesn't use his gun in Raiders of the Lost Ark for "the majority of the movie," either. Not even close. Why do you go into Indiana Jones movies expecting to see Dirty Harry and gorefests?! (Sorry, I was just trying out your shtick for a second - I hate myself now. But man, arguing is so much easier when you just make stuff up about the other person!)

EDIT: I think you adding a wink smiley to your little jab actually made it more offensive.

C?mon, even you should be able to cut through your swathes of KOTCS disdain and acknowledge the underlying premise we were discussing. It?s whether or not Indy using his gun weakens the movie. Clearly you think it does. But as I pointed out in my previous post, you then go onto (indirectly of course) acknowledge that Indy doesn?t use his gun outside of a few seconds of screen time in TOD? you even go onto to laud the no gun gag (?nice touch?). You know as well as I (and everyone else), that there is much more Indy gun action in Raiders than there is in TOD and TLC put together. So what makes the use of Indy?s gun in TOD so much better for you that it?s worth debating??? A brief scene in the back of a car??? You are either A) Easily pleased. B) Extremely subjective to the point where your credibility risks being compromised.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
many of your points seem to be shaped out of a dislike for the movie, rather than rationale and distilled thought
C’mon, even you should be able to cut through your swathes of KOTCS disdain

Maybe when you can get over your prejudices, some rational debate could stem out of this. Until then, I guess you'll just keep doing what you've done above: make up arguments that didn't exist and then attack them, bringing everything to a standstill and effectively changing the topic altogether. I've no intention of following you.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Maybe when you can get over your prejudices, some rational debate could stem out of this. Until then, I guess you'll just keep doing what you've done above: make up arguments that didn't exist and then attack them, bringing everything to a standstill and effectively changing the topic altogether.

Hmmm ? The ?I?m talking my ball home? Udvarnoky. Seems like you are holding a mirror up to yourself there my friend... The only thing I've done is challenge your somewhat tired and jaundiced view of a particular movie (KOTCS). I've certainly made nothing up... I have no reason to. And even after several posts you've still not managed to substantiate how the gun play in TOD makes it a better movie than KOTCS. You've still not managed to articulate why it should even matter.

Is it not reasonable to put forward the notion that Indy's use of a gun (or screen time it gets) noticeably decreases after Raiders? Would it be fair to say that, in relative terms, the amount of gun play in the sequels is more akin to each other than any one sequel is to Raiders (taking into account, and accepting, that KOTCS has the least amount)? Therefore, is it not a logical and reasonable challenge to ask: if one were not troubled by the lack of Indy shootouts in TOD and TLC, why would one highlight it as an issue in KOTCS?

It just seems that you are prepared to jump on anything that can potentially reinforce your view. We've recently just had the "KOTCS was inferior with its establishing shots? debate (which was a new low). If one actually opened oneself up to a differing opinion, there might be some progression.

Cole

This film is still PG-13, so it's not exactly the fluffy, bubbly, cupcake movie that some of you are making it out to be.

I don't think it's that they were afraid to use gunfire........Russian soldiers brutally shoot American soldiers at close range, Russians use guns in the warehouse, Spalko uses a rifle and uses the machine guns on the vehicle, etc.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
And even after several posts you've still not managed to substantiate how the gun play in TOD makes it a better movie than KOTCS.

Wow. I'm still trying to figure out if that's really what you think this discussion was about, or if you're just trying to incite commotion. Either way, I'm done with this thread until you permit it to return to its actual topic.

Darth Vile

Violet Indy said:
To me, it's not so much if he uses it or not, it's how effective the use of the gun is in the film (and in that cemetary, it's one of the most effective gags in KOTCS).

I would agree 100%. Quality not quantity. IMHO - The best use of Indy's gun (or reference to his gun) in TOD (as Udvarnoky highlighted several posts back), is actually when he realizes his holster is empty (when facing the two Thuggee swordsman). As you point out, the cocking of his gun in the cemetery scene is probably more effective than a scene with several shots being fired.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Wow. I'm still trying to figure out if that's really what you think this discussion was about, or if you're just trying to incite commotion. Either way, I'm done with this thread until you permit it to return to its actual topic.

LOL - Typical. The point where you joined this thread was to disagree with a couple of my comments (and someone else?s). Therefore, it was you who took it off at a tangent.

Anyway back to the topic (so Udvarnoky can rejoin). Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol? Probably because Lucas/Spielberg rightly believe that Indy is at his best (and the movies are at their best) when he's not got a pistol to hand. Where Indy requires other means to escape his predicament rather than simply shooting a gun.

Cole

Darth Vile said:
LOL - Typical. The point where you joined this thread was to disagree with a couple of my comments (and someone else’s). Therefore, it was you who took it off at a tangent.

Anyway back to the topic (so Udvarnoky can rejoin). Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol? Probably because Lucas/Spielberg rightly believe that Indy is at his best (and the movies are at their best) when he's not got a pistol to hand. Where Indy requires other means to escape his predicament rather than simply shooting a gun.
Well said.......I think 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' probably has the most "revolver moments" because it was the first in the series, and obviously it pays homage to the 30's and 40's B-action serials where the hero carrying the revolver was popular (we even see him throw it in the suitcase).

But repeated use of the revolver in the future movies may have made for fairly bland action sequences.........I don't think they wanted a character who became dependent on his gun as an easy solution to get out of jams. It's more fun/exciting to see how he gets out of these impossible jams using his wits.

The more seldom Indy uses his revolver........the greater the moment is when he DOES use it.

As has been said, I'm at least glad we got to SEE the revolver in KOTCS, making for a memorable moment in the film.

Darth Vile said:
This is also probably in keeping with Lucas and Spielberg's more liberal/slightly left of center principles rather than some "lost edge of their youth".
Where are these supposed liberal principles evidenced in Raiders, (IN RESPECT TO GUNPLAY PLEASE).

Darth Vile said:
And whilst KOTCS probably has the least amount of Indy gun play, TOD and TLC pay it little more than lip service.
I look at it this way, calling something lip service is simply discussing it. KotCS being a FILM pays lip service to the gun content. How many people do you SEE shot in CS? How many wounds "explode" for the camera in Raiders?(Explode is being used gratuitously...they don't really). CS pays lip service to the gun play because the FILM shows you as much as you would have seen on a RADIO. At the very least you SEE the Gemans as Indy is mowing them down and not just Indy pulling the trigger...then the fleeting pan over bodies on the floor.

CS pay true lip service to the gun play. You see the guns, you hear the bullets, you see the bodies.

For all intents and purposes, after the "marksmanship" of the truckload of Russian Special forces during the ant scene it's not a stretch to think they missed the American soldiers at the gate and they rather died of coronary arrest.

Darth Vile said:
The point I was making is that the "disparity" (or perception of disparity) is largely moot. This is because, outside of the Raven bar scene in Raiders, the set pieces mainly consist of vehicular chases and fist fights. Assuming that the claim of "disparity" is a criticism of KOTCS, I find any such claim to be somewhat baseless.
That asumption comes off as self serving especially to someone READING the thread. Just read the question/initial post of this thread...tends to make the rest of your post obfuscation.

Darth Vile said:
And it's also a timely reminder that for the vast majority of TOD, Indy does not use a gun. Thanks for pointing that out.
It's just silly to take his posted comment to someone else, intended to be a friendly "hand up" to someone who has stumbled, and use it against him. Still, it does illustrate the point of the thread, that EVEN in ToD...for as much as he actually posesses the gun he tries to use it. He even forgot he lost it and went for it"unconciously" Shows you where Indy's head is at...:hat:

Mickiana said:
It was definitely out of character for Indy to not shoot his hand gun in KotCS. Yes, the edge was missing.

I agree...you could have an adventure where it NEVER happens, it's interesting to note the two most universally panned Indy films, (by fans AND critics) water this aspect down...as well as others.

Cole said:
And if bloodshed, violence, and gunfire is what makes Indy great to you...then you and I are on completely different spectrums.

WOW! Believe you me, just you "interpreting" the conversation that way proves you're way beyond "spectrums".

Darth Vile said:
Because anything less would be facile right?
This just shows you're not arguing your opinion...it's a cute way of escaping explaining yourself, cute.

Darth Vile said:
I don’t think I missed the point. I was alluding to the view that many of your points seem to be shaped out of a dislike for the movie, rather than rationale and distilled thought (a debate we’ve had for some time now).
It's quite possible his dislike of the film was arrived at because of distilled rational thought. His posts seem rather consistently well thought out. I think rather then missing the point, you ignore the point.

Darth Vile said:
Lets agree on something… There isn’t a lack of guns and bullets being fired in KOTCS.
This is a true statement. Just like there's no lack of guns and bullets being fired an a typical A-Team episode.

Darth Vile said:
On the contrary, I’d argue that there is some consistency between the sequels in relation to this subject i.e. there is a step back from Indy actively using a gun. Again, I’d posit that the best action scenes in KOTCS, and the other movies, don’t actually involve Indy shooting a gun, or being in a gun fight. Therefore, IMHO, the assertion that lack of Indy gun play in KOTCS makes for an inferior movie is moot i.e. largely irrelevant (to me at least).
This is the point where you're dirrected to the initial post of the thread...AGAIN. But to address your handiwork, the lack of an Indy/gun relationship doesn't make the movie poor unto itself, it's merely a glaring example and symptom of the problems inherent in CS

Darth Vile said:
C’mon, even you should be able to cut through your swathes of KOTCS disdain and acknowledge the underlying premise we were discussing. It’s whether or not Indy using his gun weakens the movie. Clearly you think it does. But as I pointed out in my previous post, you then go onto (indirectly of course) acknowledge that Indy doesn’t use his gun outside of a few seconds of screen time in TOD… you even go onto to laud the no gun gag (“nice touch”). You know as well as I (and everyone else), that there is much more Indy gun action in Raiders than there is in TOD and TLC put together. So what makes the use of Indy’s gun in TOD so much better for you that it’s worth debating??? A brief scene in the back of a car??? You are either A) Easily pleased. B) Extremely subjective to the point where your credibility risks being compromised.
This is just insulting, in case you missed it, (or ignored it above):

It's just silly to take his posted comment to someone else, intended to be a friendly "hand up" to someone who has stumbled, and use it against him( and describing it as a point debate is SO selfserving, AND WRONG). Still, it does illustrate the point of the thread, that EVEN in ToD...for as much as he actually posesses the gun he tries to use it. He even forgot he lost it and went for it"unconciously" Shows you where Indy's head is at...:hat:

Darth Vile said:
LOL - Typical. The point where you joined this thread was to disagree with a couple of my comments (and someone else’s). Therefore, it was you who took it off at a tangent.

You couldn't be more wrong. You consitently countered arguments you couldn't refute like this:

Darth Vile said:
Hmmm – The “I’m talking my ball home” Udvarnoky. Seems like you are holding a mirror up to yourself there my friend... The only thing I've done is challenge your somewhat tired and jaundiced view of a particular movie (KOTCS). I've certainly made nothing up... I have no reason to. And even after several posts you've still not managed to substantiate how the gun play in TOD makes it a better movie than KOTCS.

This has nothing to do with the thread...just YOUR tangents. YOURS.

Phew! Have more fun guys!

Cole

Spielberg may have been SLIGHTLY more conscientious of making a "family movie".........but these are pretty much all family movies. This movie felt like it was really pretty much the same in tone as 'Last Crusade.'

If it wasn't "edgey" enough for you, then it wasn't for you, and that's where we differ.......why can't you accept that?

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
Where are these supposed liberal principles evidenced in Raiders, (IN RESPECT TO GUNPLAY PLEASE).

I’m not sure I ever said they were. I think it’s a fair assumption that the moviemaker’s sensibilities are reflected in the movies they make. I think it’s fair to suggest that one has a tendency to reflect these more overtly the more influence/success one gets in life.

Rocket Surgeon said:
I look at it this way, calling something lip service is simply discussing it. KotCS being a FILM pays lip service to the gun content. How many people do you SEE shot in CS? How many wounds "explode" for the camera in Raiders?(Explode is being used gratuitously...they don't really). CS pays lip service to the gun play because the FILM shows you as much as you would have seen on a RADIO. At the very least you SEE the Gemans as Indy is mowing them down and not just Indy pulling the trigger...then the fleeting pan over bodies on the floor.

CS pay true lip service to the gun play. You see the guns, you hear the bullets, you see the bodies.
Again, I’ not sure I ever claimed that the use of guns in KOTCS was achieved with more success or potency than the other movies. Rather, that all three sequels downplayed (intentionally or not) Indiana Jones’ use of a gun. And, as sequels, they are cut from the same cloth.

Rocket Surgeon said:
That assumption comes off as self serving especially to someone READING the thread. Just read the question/initial post of this thread...tends to make the rest of your post obfuscation.

It’s about interpretation isn’t it? I don’t necessarily see it as a criticism that the movies move away from a gun toting Indy. I’m assuming you do? I also didn’t automatically assume that the thread was designed as a rebuke at KOTCS (although it probably was).

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's just silly to take his posted comment to someone else, intended to be a friendly "hand up" to someone who has stumbled, and use it against him.

That wasn’t the point of my response (which is evidenced by the first couple of posts on the subject).

Rocket Surgeon said:
I agree...you could have an adventure where it NEVER happens, it's interesting to note the two most universally panned Indy films, (by fans AND critics) water this aspect down...as well as others.
Possibly… but they also contain their fair share of violence. I don’t see the connection myself.

Rocket Surgeon said:
This just shows you're not arguing your opinion...it's a cute way of escaping explaining yourself, cute.
Not sure what you mean??? I have to assume that the thread is open to interpretation, progression and wider context. Otherwise all responses to the original post/question (why didn’t Indy ever shoot his pistol?) would/could be “I don’t know” or “because he didn’t need to use it silly”… which would be a rather vapid response to elicit would it not?

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's quite possible his dislike of the film was arrived at because of distilled rational thought. His posts seem rather consistently well thought out. I think rather then missing the point, you ignore the point.

We’ve been having these debates for the past 18 months. This is not a new occurrence. Besides, I would never presume one dislikes something because of irrational thought. However, I can assume that one may defend/attack a view based on an irrational urge to justify an opinion.

Rocket Surgeon said:
This is the point where you're directed to the initial post of the thread...AGAIN. But to address your handiwork, the lack of an Indy/gun relationship doesn't make the movie poor unto itself; it's merely a glaring example and symptom of the problems inherent in CS

And as before, I’d contest that view. I think some try and rationalize a continued like for a movie character/set of movies by imagining it to be more grown up/dark/violent than it actually is (it can give some a sense of greater credibility). Raiders was great despite it’s campy/kiddy gore, not because of it. I went to see Raiders as a small child, and I don’t remember coming out scared by its scenes of graphic violence and gore.

Rocket Surgeon said:
This has nothing to do with the thread...just YOUR tangents. YOURS.

And what is the extent of the last two posts but a distraction??? Poring on petrol to douse the flames hey?:dead: :dead:

TennesseBuck

Rocket Surgeon said:
:confused:

(Looks around)...what's the name of this place again?

It's called Back to the Era of Temple of Doom. Yes, in TOD, Indy does use his revolver at the beginning and then loses it thanks to Willie Scott. For the rest of the movie, he can only use his fists, no gun (which lead to an inspired scene between two swordsmen that has since been copied in Predator 1, among other films).

Meerkat

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed this before.
As far as guns are concerned, the whole movie was pretty much just machine guns- except for Dovchenko in the hangar, and...well, Spalko never fired her pistol.

Meerkat

Well, she did have some kind of handgun in the movie. I'm not going to go into specifics because I'm not a gun expert, I'm just guessing. -.-
But an indelible accessory? No. However, I'm pretty sure she didn't just have a machine gun :p

Last edited:

Gobi-1

Cole said:
This film is still PG-13, so it's not exactly the fluffy, bubbly, cupcake movie that some of you are making it out to be.

I don't think it's that they were afraid to use gunfire........Russian soldiers brutally shoot American soldiers at close range, Russians use guns in the warehouse, Spalko uses a rifle and uses the machine guns on the vehicle, etc.

Don't forget the off-screen slaughter of the Ugha warriors. The Soviets were pretty brutal but unfortunately we never get to see any sort of gun related payback delivered by Indy. If it's because of liberal political correctness that Indy doesn't fire a gun Spielberg is basically saying it's OK for Russians to kill American soldiers but it's not OK for Indy to kill Russians.

That's one thing I would have added to KotCS is Indy mowing down a few soviet soldiers here and there. Here's hoping that Indy 5 has a massive shoot out.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Gobi-1 said:
Don't forget the off-screen slaughter of the Ugha warriors. The Soviets were pretty brutal but unfortunately we never get to see any sort of gun related payback delivered by Indy. If it's because of liberal political correctness that Indy doesn't fire a gun Spielberg is basically saying it's OK for Russians to kill American soldiers but it's not OK for Indy to kill Russians.

Well, no, really what he's saying that it's not ok to kill, period, or at least to do so in a pretty unambiguous family-oriented adventure tale. That's why he shows the Soviets ("the bad guys") killing American soldiers but does not show Indy ("the good guy") killing any Soviets.

I think it's a noteworthy omission, and a regrettable one, but I think we should at least read it right.

indyartist

Attila the Professor said:
Well, no, really what he's saying that it's not ok to kill, period, or at least to do so in a pretty unambiguous family-oriented adventure tale. That's why he shows the Soviets ("the bad guys") killing American soldiers but does not show Indy ("the good guy") killing any Soviets.

I think it's a noteworthy omission, and a regrettable one, but I think we should at least read it right.
Not to get off my original post, but was there any news of Russians protesting this film or controversy because the filmmakers did make them look pretty evil? There was no political correctness there.

indyartist said:
Not to get off my original post, but was there any news of Russians protesting this film or controversy because the filmmakers did make them look pretty evil? There was no political correctness there.
Yes, there was...there was even an article where a Russian reporter confronted Spielberg and he back peddled by saying his mother was Ukrainian,a Russian Jew.