Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #51
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Mutt should be seduced by ancient succubus, played by Kirstie Alley. That would be super-frickin' awesome!

Or by Salma Hayek in a dodgy truck stop, as in From Dusk Till Dawn. If Lucas and Spielberg moved aside for Tarantino and Rodriguez, then I'd be interested in seeing #5!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #52
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Or by Salma Hayek in a dodgy truck stop, as in From Dusk Till Dawn. If Lucas and Spielberg moved aside for Tarantino and Rodriguez, then I'd be interested in seeing #5!

I'd drink a tub of your bathwater for suggesting that.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #53
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

I think a crazy idea would be Donovan's evil clone tracking down Indy and Mutt throughout Africa, Indy gets annoyed as Mutt insists he brings along his girlfriend.

...I better stop there, this thread is going to haunt my dreams for many nights
Indy_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #54
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Chic
I think a crazy idea would be Donovan's evil clone tracking down Indy and Mutt throughout Africa, Indy gets annoyed as Mutt insists he brings along his girlfriend.

...I better stop there, this thread is going to haunt my dreams for many nights

Of course, you could always convert that to a good dream... you could be the girlfriend!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #55
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jonesy

And KOTCS had plenty of action. In fact, one of the criticisms alot of reviews gave it is that the film was focused too much on the action.

'Last Crusade' had little action, actually.

Find me one legitimate review that makes that specific argument.

KOTCS had very little action at all.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #56
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar

KOTCS had very little action at all.

It had plenty of action. Just as much as 'Last Crusade'. I'm not going on a RottenTomatoes review hunt just so I can prove to you that it was said. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. But here's the action pieces for the 3 sequels just so you can compare!

Temple of Doom
-Club Obi Wan Fight
-Fight in Indy's room
-Thugee Fight
-Mine Cart Chase
-Bridge Scene

Last Crusade
-Train Chase
-Ship Fight(Coronado)
-Boat Chase
-Bike Chase
-Plane Chase
-Tank Fight

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Warehouse Chase
-Diner Fight
-MotorCycle Chase
-Cemetary Guard Fight
-Jungle Chase
-Ants/Dovchenko

Do you fault 'Temple of Doom' for not having as much action?
Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #57
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Of course, you could always convert that to a good dream... you could be the girlfriend!

Ha! Sounds like a good idea after all
Indy_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #58
Mungi
IndyFan

Quote:

I actually saw a video at YouTube where a film critic was speaking right after the premiere in Cannes. He said there was too much action, too much fun. He said it was a sequence of special effects and stunts, without any story or characters - he said that's not what people go into theaters for.
Mungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #59
Attila the Professor

Quote:

I don't, because I recall there being a car chase in Shanghai, a rubber raft careening down a mountainside, and two different and distinct Thuggee fight sequences, one at the ceremonial area and one in the mines. Way to stack the deck...
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #60
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
It had plenty of action. Just as much as 'Last Crusade'. I'm not going on a RottenTomatoes review hunt just so I can prove to you that it was said. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. But here's the action pieces for the 3 sequels just so you can compare!

Well, according to you, it was "alot of reviews", meaning at least a fair percentage of the critical community felt that way.

Find a SINGLE legitimate source that said that.

You also lump large swaths of "Temple of Doom" together - the entire huge section after Short Round's escape up to the mine cart is simply "Thugee fight", you don't mention the rope bridge at all and simultaneously you give KOTCS far more credit by breaking up actions that are much more closely part of the same sequence -

"Diner fight" and "motorcycle chase" are part of the same immediate, continuous sequence, nor is "Ants/Dovchenko" really separate from "jungle chase."

edited to add -

Didn't see Attila's response. Stacked deck indeed!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #61
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Stacked deck indeed!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #62
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:

Temple of Doom
-Club Obi Wan Fight
-Fight in Indy's room
-Thugee Fight
-Mine Cart Chase
-Bridge Scene

Last Crusade
-Train Chase
-Ship Fight(Coronado)
-Boat Chase
-Bike Chase
-Plane Chase
-Tank Fight

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Warehouse Chase
-Diner Fight
-MotorCycle Chase
-Cemetary Guard Fight
-Jungle Chase
-Ants/Dovchenko

ToD and Crusade's action scenes were much longer than the short slices of action seen in Kingdom. That makes all the difference.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #63
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

Indy is happily married to Marion and living in a retirement community.

Willie shows up with a young woman.
"Our daughter, Indy".

Elsa shows up with a young man.

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #64
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Marion and Mutt get kidnapped by Soviet soldiers and Indy the rest of the movie goes around knocking out Soviets and grumbling, "GIVE ME BACK MY FAMILY!!!!! "
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #65
replican't

Indy rides into battle on Jar Jar Binks.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #66
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Quote:

To reiterate what has already been said, we (and I speak mainly for myself here) don't do that with ToD because, quite frankly, it has the most action orientated plot of any of the Indy movies and presents said action in rapid succession akin only to a blitzkrieg. Have you seen the first 20 minutes and the last 30 minutes of that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungi
I actually saw a video at YouTube where a film critic was speaking right after the premiere in Cannes. He said there was too much action, too much fun. He said it was a sequence of special effects and stunts, without any story or characters - he said that's not what people go into theaters for.

Regardless to anyone's opinions on the quantity of action in KotCS, this "critic" obviously doesn't understand the concept and/or spirit of the franchise: a 1930s-serial-esque, punch-'em-up, popcorn-adventure movie. Pure escapism, and if they want to throw a bit of emotion into it (ala LC), there's nothing wrong with that.

But now to the actual point of this thread; the WORST thing to do for an Indy film IMO would be to (please read the following in a sarcastic way): Start off with a fan-fic script in which every character possible makes a cameo. That's right all your favorites like Shorty, Willie, Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr, Cap. Katanga, Mac and the Grail Knight return to tarnish your memories of them. 'But wait, aren't Henry, Mac and Marcus dead?' you say... in 1945 they're not. And with the power of CGI we can make Harrison look young again making this prequel possible. So in #5 Indy and his greatly extended crew are going after the legendary Atlantis... sayonara beloved and established Extended Universe story Fate of Atlantis. The bad guys are of course Nazis who want to find Atlantis to save the Third Reich, but in a delicious twist, it never becomes even remotely clear as to how in the hell this would work. So after a long and relatively uneventful quest (including an extended sequence in which Indy and Henry quietly read-up on Atlantis in a library - with no characteristic confrontation) the Nazis are killed off in cliche and uninspired ways and Indy and his crew all ride a single sea turtle to safety. The End

Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Ooooooooh! A sea turtle! I love hating this idea!
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #68
The Man
IndyFan

Nobody dies during the action sequences. Just like The A-Team...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #69
The Man
IndyFan

Marion blows the family silver on her ever-worsening crack habit, forcing Indy and Mutt into the shady world of backstreet brawling to put grub on the table. Father coaches son. Featuring Tom Hardy as Bruiser Dolan...

Quote:
LaBeouf said that after several bad encounters, the two began to hate each other. Then due to a bad joke, they got into a fight. LaBeouf claims that he ended up victorious in the brawl and that Hardy "never did that roughhouse stuff with me again."
Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #70
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Nobody dies during the action sequences. Just like The A-Team...
Skull already did that one, eh?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #71
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, the bike chase and jungle bungle*. But Hangar 51 spoiled the cuddliness.

*There was a Russkie soldier lying on the ground after the RPG strike, but...dead? Hmmmm...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #72
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon

They saved all the deaths for the end. Should've spread them out to increase the threat/danger level.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #73
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
They saved all the deaths for the end. Should've spread them out to increase the threat/danger level.
...and earned that PG-13 by being a bit more graphic.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #74
Dr Bones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
To reiterate what has already been said, we (and I speak mainly for myself here) don't do that with ToD because, quite frankly, it has the most action orientated plot of any of the Indy movies and presents said action in rapid succession akin only to a blitzkrieg. Have you seen the first 20 minutes and the last 30 minutes of that film.

Regardless to anyone's opinions on the quantity of action in KotCS, this "critic" obviously doesn't understand the concept and/or spirit of the franchise: a 1930s-serial-esque, punch-'em-up, popcorn-adventure movie. Pure escapism, and if they want to throw a bit of emotion into it (ala LC), there's nothing wrong with that.

But now to the actual point of this thread; the WORST thing to do for an Indy film IMO would be to (please read the following in a sarcastic way): Start off with a fan-fic script in which every character possible makes a cameo. That's right all your favorites like Shorty, Willie, Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr, Cap. Katanga, Mac and the Grail Knight return to tarnish your memories of them. 'But wait, aren't Henry, Mac and Marcus dead?' you say... in 1945 they're not. And with the power of CGI we can make Harrison look young again making this prequel possible. So in #5 Indy and his greatly extended crew are going after the legendary Atlantis... sayonara beloved and established Extended Universe story Fate of Atlantis. The bad guys are of course Nazis who want to find Atlantis to save the Third Reich, but in a delicious twist, it never becomes even remotely clear as to how in the hell this would work. So after a long and relatively uneventful quest (including an extended sequence in which Indy and Henry quietly read-up on Atlantis in a library - with no characteristic confrontation) the Nazis are killed off in cliche and uninspired ways and Indy and his crew all ride a single sea turtle to safety. The End

Mr Lucas wants his script back!
Dr Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #75
Indy's brother
IndyFan

The last scene, we see mutt in an mental institution, Harrison Ford is his doctor. Karen Allen is his nurse. Sallah is the groundskeeper, etcetera, etcetera. Every previous cast member is somewhere in this scene. All of Indy's adventures were Mutt's delusions. Hold a shot on a bleary eyed, vacant stare directly into the camera from Mutt. Crazy by Patsy Cline begins to play, as the camera slowly zooms out, fades to black, and begins rolling credits.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote