TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 AM   #576
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Sony & Naughty Dog have put out another Behind the Scenes video featuring the two new leads repeating the company talking points:

- We were finished with Nate's story (No you weren't; you forced an ending to it.)
- Chloe is a fan favorite
- People really liked Nadine. A lot. (If you keep repeating it, I guess people will accept the idea.)
- This is the biggest level we've ever done.

It's still worth watching for thew new gameplay snippets interspersed throughout.

From Alanah Pearce's article @ IGN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanah Pearce
They are very different to other characters in the franchise, too, which makes The Lost Legacy feel particularly fresh. Chloe doesn’t have a semblance of Nathan Drake’s righteous hero complex, and, put in a stressful situation, her main priority is self-preservation. She’s much darker and more malicious, and that’s part of what makes her relationship with Nadine feel unpredictable, and what has me so interested. While most of the banter I encountered between the two seemed to be a unique brand of flirty, Nadine, a careful strategist, often seemed to get irate at Chloe’s more brash, impulsive decision making, and Chloe didn’t seem to care. Naughty Dog even told us that there were multiple revisions to the general, chatty dialogue between the two characters, to prevent them from being too "friendly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanah Pearce
...with an opening dynamic that feels more like The Last of Us than what I'm used to seeing in Uncharted.

Except The Last of Us's tonality is the exact wrong thing to bring to Uncharted. Uncharted is pulp. It needs to flow and breathe, not get bogged down in moroseness.

August 22nd is fast approaching!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #577
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I still don't get why they keep forcing Nadine on all of us. I've met very few players who thought she was a great character and ultimately she was inconsequential to the overall story. I also wouldn't mind a more lighthearted approach, similar to the first two games. I have enough dark and overly-serious games---let's see some fun and wit come into the series again.

That being said, I'm excited for the game and having Chloe take the lead should be interesting.

Last edited by IndyBuff : 08-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #578
Major West
IndyFan

At least I already paid for the game ages ago.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #579
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I would like to write more, but for now, the idea of completely ditching the supernatural elements of Uncharted is dumb. I'm all for trying different things out, but the removal of [the supernatural] in order to be more "believable" or "grounded" is a poor excuse. Preternatural elements are something of a hallmark of the genre; you're not looking for "realism". A realistic game ends up with Nate dying from a shattered leg/pelvis/whatever after failing a jump. Or thoroughly ventilated by a squad of trained mercenaries armed with fully automatic weapons.

You're kind of putting up a strawman here. I'm not suggesting the game should be realistic in the sense that life is not an action movie, I'm saying that the central mythology of the plot actually felt plausible in terms of the history, locations, etc., and that for me, that was a huge improvement over things like the Nazi Zombies that popped up in previous games. I really felt invested in seeing where they were going to take the narrative precisely because it didn't have as many of those cheesy eye-roll moments. To each their own though, of course. If the pulpy camp is what you enjoy about the series, obviously you'll see it differently. I thought it was a fantastic story overall, and really loved that they toned down a lot of what had turned me off about the previous games in terms of both story elements and gameplay (less shooty shooty bang bang.)
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 AM   #580
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quickly: Seen this? This is amazing. Hopefully this makes into the game somehow.

The Lost Legacy continues to show promise.

Just cut that rope, Chloe.

Full size image here.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #581
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Quickly: Seen this? This is amazing. Hopefully this makes into the game somehow.

The Lost Legacy continues to show promise.

Just cut that rope, Chloe.

Full size image here.

Oh wow, that kind of reminds me of Uncharted 2 and Drake hanging from the plane. I can imagine we are probably going to get some very iconic set pieces from this.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #582
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Oh wow, that kind of reminds me of Uncharted 2 and Drake hanging from the plane. I can imagine we are probably going to get some very iconic set pieces from this.

Among Thieves was the train; Drake's Deception was the plane!

And based on this thirty second teevee spot, it certainly looks like the helicopter sequence features in the game in some capacity.

On a related note, I was recently lamenting on how... bland the packaging for Uncharted has become following Drake's Fortune. Deception was by far the worst, but the steelbook was a nice touch. The Lost Legacy is set to take that crown though; it's really uninspired. But look at this thing they sent out to the press!

Note: The following unboxing video (also one of the dumbest things ever) is in filthy, filthy French.

The principle art is still completely generic, but that's a very nice set. The blu-ray graphic is especially nice. Too bad they're only for the press or the sucker who wants to drop five hundred bucks over at eBay.

This site is also in French but has put up still shots instead of video if you're interested.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #583
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Unfortunately both movies and video games have become extremely lazy when it comes to packaging and art design.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #584
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Yesterday Naughty Dog showed off some footage of their upcoming Survival Arena mode. It looks decent and it's something that should have been in the game since its release. I've haven't played the multiplayer in a while but this might actually get me to come back for a bit.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #585
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Yesterday Naughty Dog showed off some footage of their upcoming Survival Arena mode. It looks decent and it's something that should have been in the game since its release. I've haven't played the multiplayer in a while but this might actually get me to come back for a bit.

I played survival mode a bit on uncharted 4 and it was pretty cool. Granted I always had a bit of a problem with other players trying to be lone wolves or not healing me but thats every multiplayer game in existence pretty much.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM   #586
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff

I played through Survival when it was originally released -- completed it -- and never bothered with it again. It wasn't the horde mode I thought it was or should have been. It felt like a series of time trials with some terrible bullet sponges for enemies, but after watching some of their Twitch stream earlier I'm intrigued.

I'll give it a shot when I pick up The Lost Legacy, but I doubt it'll get more than a cursory play through. I haven't even bothered with A Thief's End multiplayer component outside of Survival. Any word on trophy support?

Anyway! There's been one more (final) trailer released. There isn't much that's new other, and the talking heads keep repeating themselves.

Yes, we get it all ready. You think Uncharted is an expandable world.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #587
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:

I'll give it a shot when I pick up The Lost Legacy, but I doubt it'll get more than a cursory play through. I haven't even bothered with A Thief's End multiplayer component outside of Survival. Any word on trophy support?

I haven't heard anything yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they toss in a few with the next update.