Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
Kevin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I don't like this one bit. Disney is going to make Marvel "family friendly", which to some (ie RedeemedChild) is a great thing. But I can't see Tony Stark as an alcoholic under Disney. And forget about heroes like Punisher. It'll basically be Marvel with its balls cut off.

Why is everyone so worried that Disney bought Marvel? In 1993 Disney bought Miramax. In 1994 Miramax produced a little film called Pulp Fiction, which featured graphic drug use, violence, and anal rape. I don't think you Punisher fans have anything to worry about.

Also, remember that Disney bought Marvel because Marvel has been doing very well for the last few years. They won't fix what isn't broken.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Why is everyone so worried that Disney bought Marvel? In 1993 Disney bought Miramax. In 1994 Miramax produced a little film called Pulp Fiction, which featured graphic drug use, violence, and anal rape. I don't think you Punisher fans have anything to worry about.

Also, remember that Disney bought Marvel because Marvel has been doing very well for the last few years. They won't fix what isn't broken.

True, but Disney now owns the rights to 5000+ Marvel characters. And superheroes appeal more to kids then the works of Quentin Tarantino. Disney is going to want a friendly representation of these characters so they could market them to what Disney has always appealed to: Families.

Vince Vega and Jules are not going to be walkin' around the Disney parks anytime soon.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #28
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin

Not just any old anal rape, man on ma . . . never mind. ...
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #29
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Not just any old anal rape, man on ma . . . never mind. ...

Did it turn you on or something? *Scratches head*
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #30
Kevin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
Disney is going to want a friendly representation of these characters so they could market them to what Disney has always appealed to: Families.

Well, that is an assumption that you are making, which may or may not turn out to be true. But considering that the Marvel Adventures imprint already publishes kid-friendly versions of the main Marvel characters, and presuming that Disney didn't buy Marvel with the intention of turning off a major portion of their customers (adult readers), I'm betting that Disney will adopt a more laissez-faire approach. Seriously, I think the only thing that will change is where the money goes.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #31
jamesdude

What if they decide to make animated Marvel films and use thier own characters to play the marvels.......

Walt Disney's SPIDERMOUSE
Mickey as Peter Parker/Spider Mouse
Minnie as Mary Jane
Donald as Harry Osborn
Scrooge McDuck as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Goofy as Jonah Jameson.

I can just imagine Spidermouse 2.......

Donald as Harry: "You killed my father! WAHHHAAHAWAHAHWHHA! (donalds trademark jibberish yell) "
jamesdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #32
Finn

Disney buys Marvel? Big deal. (No pun.)

I mean, while the comments here range from wonders about turning to more family-oriented fun to rather outlandish (yet amusing) Mickey/Spider crossovers, you might wish to take a closer look at the Walt Disney Corp's company structure and the stuff they actually own.

As stated above, dig deep enough and you'll find that a guy like Quentin Tarantino has directed a film produced by Disney.

Since they announced that Marvel with retain its current management after the original trade, it's more than likely that it'll come just another daughter company in the Disney Entertainment conglomerate that creates entertainment ranged in tastes from toddler to pensioner.

Only folks who ought to get jilts from an announcement like this are the economists...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #33
Meerkat
IndyFan

Sighh...
I think Disney should have just stuck with those animated films like Lion King and Sleeping Beauty. They are releasing a new one, but still...they should never have strayed far from that path. v.v
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #34
Hans
IndyFan

F@#k diseny i think i will cry now
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
Cole
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Disney runs companies that make money, period. Unless it has the mouse on it, they do not get to preachy. Remember, Marvel has put out more than thier share of Crappy comics over the years (Powerpak? Kicker inc?) I mean don't worry Marvel will be fine, and Disney will get richer.
Bingo..........it really shouldn't have much of an affect on Marvel. I don't think some people really understand this.

Disney also owns movie studios like Buena Vista, Touchstone, and even Miramax. Yes, Disney bought Miramax in 1993..........Miramax released Quentin Tarantino movies like Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill under Disney's division.

Disney knows the worth of Marvel's own brand name.....Marvel will still act as its own entity. Only Disney gets a nice little share of the profits now.

Whoops, just read Finn's post. Looks like I pretty just repeated what he said.

Last edited by Finn : 09-02-2009 at 03:48 AM. Reason: merge
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #36
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
Whoops, just read Finn's post. Looks like I pretty just repeated what he said.
It's all right, as it appears some things require repetition (sometimes ad infinitum) to really hammer in the point. And it's not like I was the first one either to make this observation. That kudos goes to Kevin.

But yeah, while name "Disney" is associated with children and family-oriented fun, the company in fact produces a wide variety of entertainment under a ton of different brands. There's no reason to suspect that Marvel wouldn't stay as its own brand name and produce its own kind of entertainment. Seeing that all-too familiar bubbly "Walt Disney" -logo on top of any superhero comic book seems like a long shot.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #37
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
As stated above, dig deep enough and you'll find that a guy like Quentin Tarantino has directed a film produced by Disney.

Let's not forget the Hughes Brothers. Or, does nobody remember Menace II Society & Dead Presidents?

Disney owning ESPN certainly hasn't diluted it's unique brand of off-kilter humor to make it more kid friendly.

Walt Disney Pictures will never, ever release a picture based on a Marvel character. Once again, Walt Disney Pictures will never, ever release a picture based on a Marvel character. They will continue to release what is considered "family friendly," with their interchangeable stable of pre-teen stars. Around that, there's their collection of Pixar films, and the (hopeful) resurgence of their own in-house animation.

Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, and Miramax will handle all those characters not assigned a production studio. They'll have access to Disney's corporate war chest (and subsequent credit), and operate independently. Profits will be kicked up the corporate ladder, and the stock holders will see a nominal increase their portfolios.

Geesh, go away for a couple of weeks and all semblance of sanity goes out the window for a rather common occurrence in the business world. Can you say Electronic Arts?

For a list of what Disney owns, check out the list here.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #38
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
For a list of what Disney owns, check out the list here.

I think it would be easier to list what they don't own.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #39
Agent Crab
IndyFan

Just to let some of you guys know.. if it wasn't mentioned, Disney owns Miramax.

Disney won't bastardize Marvel characters. Warner Brothers hasn't ruined DC Comics. It's not like that The Joans Brothers will appear as Ironman's helpers or anything.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #40
MarionRavenChu
IndyFan

Why do I see a X-Men Highschool Musical in the future...Why does Disney have to own EVERYTHING...I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with..Thank God the creator of Pokemon said Hell no when Disney tried to own them but I hear they are also trying to claim the rights to Sailor Moon right now to make a live action movie, man why am I already seeing Sailor Moon as Hannah Montana......

Last edited by MarionRavenChu : 09-02-2009 at 06:46 PM.
MarionRavenChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat
Sighh...
I think Disney should have just stuck with those animated films like Lion King and Sleeping Beauty. They are releasing a new one, but still...they should never have strayed far from that path. v.v

Well my friend I like the direction Disney is going with Star Wars-esque tales like Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia. However I am displeased with Disney creating rubbish like That's So Raven, Hannah Montana, Lizzie McGuire and Desperate Housewives.

However I do believe Disney is doing a good job returning to their magical roots with upcoming and current titles like Ponyo, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Nicholas Cage's The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol.

BTW MarionRavenChu Disney does have something that's a cross between Pokemon and Star Trek called Spectrobes.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #42
Agent Crab
IndyFan

OH NOES! DISNEY OWnS MARVEL! THE WORLD IS ENDING!

FFFfff

A fun watch.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #43
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionRavenChu
Why do I see a X-Men Highschool Musical in the future...Why does Disney have to own EVERYTHING...I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with..Thank God the creator of Pokemon said Hell no when Disney tried to own them but I hear they are also trying to claim the rights to Sailor Moon right now to make a live action movie, man why am I already seeing Sailor Moon as Hannah Montana......
Sometimes I wonder if people read no more than the thread titles.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #44
Agent Crab
IndyFan

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if people read no more than the thread titles.

I still don't get why people never moaned that Disney does own Tri-Star and Miramax...

It's not really THAt bad that disney owns Marvel anyway. They aren't going to bastardize the characters in any shape or form.

Considering like that video.. Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus and so on appeal to the young tweens and preteen girls.

I swear.. I seen this "Chu" person from a certain Snarking site...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #45
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Crab
I still don't get why people never moaned that Disney does own Tri-Star and Miramax...
Because they aren't aware of it?

Why someone who posts in this thread isn't by this far kinda amazes me...
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #46
So-Cal Reporter
IndyFan

New Marvel Indy comics

I can only see opportunity for Disney/Marvel/Indy comics!
Hey, I know that Dark Horse has the deal for Indy at the moment but think about park exclusive comics with Marvel doing Indy again. Temple of the Forbidden Eye finding, The real stuntmen of the stunt spectacular, and more are just starters!
So-Cal Reporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionRavenChu
"I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with.."

To put things into perspective, it was extremely SHOCKING when the Indy show in Florida & the other Disney Indy rides started popping up. (WHAT??? What does Indy have to do with Disney?) Didn't you enjoy a fun time being part of the FLA Indy extravaganza? Has Disney's involvement with Indy ruined things for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal Reporter
I can only see opportunity for Disney/Marvel/Indy comics!
Hey, I know that Dark Horse has the deal for Indy at the moment but think about park exclusive comics with Marvel doing Indy again.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Is Indy 1 of the 5000 characters? Probably not. Marvel's license must have expired a long time ago...Yes/No?

So-Cal, I noticed this is your 1st post...Welcome to The Raven...where the whip-cracking never stops!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #48
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:

Indeed Finn, that very true.

Most of the people that I've talked with (if not all of them) had no IDEA yea, not even a single WIT that Disney owned or is the parent company of ABC, ESPN or Tri-Star and MIRAMIX and PIXAR. For some reason most of the college students that are in my father's art classes thought that George Lucas still owned Pixar and that it was the primary animation engine at LucasArts Animation.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #49
Agent Crab
IndyFan

Quote:

Why someone who posts in this thread isn't by this far kinda amazes me...

I knew about the ABC and Miramax thing for a long time. Yet people think anything Disney touches dies automatically. Even Disney worked on the newer episodes of Power Rangers and kept them close to the Sentai counterparts that aired in Japan. I don't see people breaking into song and dance in Tri-Star or Moramax movies, either.

Miramax handles alot of the Studio Ghilbi Animes. There hasn't been any rapage of the movies at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #50
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Crab
I knew about the ABC and Miramax thing for a long time. Yet people think anything Disney touches dies automatically. Even Disney worked on the newer episodes of Power Rangers and kept them close to the Sentai counterparts that aired in Japan. I don't see people breaking into song and dance in Tri-Star or Moramax movies, either.

Miramax handles alot of the Studio Ghilbi Animes. There hasn't been any rapage of the movies at all.

What about Spectrobes and Pokemon? I really like Spectrobes.