KotCS: Homages, Similarities, and References

oki9Sedo

The Searchers is one of Spielberg's favourite films, and I wonder if the the similarities between Ethan and Charlie's relationship in that film to Indy and Mutt's in KOTCS is intentional.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
The Searchers is one of Spielberg's favourite films, and I wonder if the the similarities between Ethan and Charlie's relationship in that film to Indy and Mutt's in KOTCS is intentional.

Charlie McCorry? Haw, haw!

1956%20The%20Searchers%20Charlie%20McCorry.bmp

Seriously, though, you mean Martin Pawley? That's not a bad thought. Late Ford often seems, either consciously or unconsciously, to have a slight John Wayne character to it, and in a couple of places I've seen <I>Crystal Skull</I> put forward as Spielberg and Lucas's <I>Donovan's Reef</I> or <I>El Dorado</I>, one of those late "getting the gang together again" movies Wayne made with Ford or Hawks.

Obviously, Indy isn't any kind of an obsessive in the film, but some of their moments - the scorpions, the "knife to a gunfight" line, the "Why don't you stick around?" exchange - have a Duke-like laconic drawl to them, and remind one of a few moments in <I>The Searchers</I>, as when Ethan makes them water the horses rather than riding straight on.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Charlie McCorry? Haw, haw!

1956%20The%20Searchers%20Charlie%20McCorry.bmp

Seriously, though, you mean Martin Pawley? That's not a bad thought. Late Ford often seems, either consciously or unconsciously, to have a slight John Wayne character to it, and in a couple of places I've seen <I>Crystal Skull</I> put forward as Spielberg and Lucas's <I>Donovan's Reef</I> or <I>El Dorado</I>, one of those late "getting the gang together again" movies Wayne made with Ford or Hawks.

Obviously, Indy isn't any kind of an obsessive in the film, but some of their moments - the scorpions, the "knife to a gunfight" line, the "Why don't you stick around?" exchange - have a Duke-like laconic drawl to them, and remind one of a few moments in <I>The Searchers</I>, as when Ethan makes them water the horses rather than riding straight on.

"Ah'll thank you to unhayand ma fiyancee."

Apologies, I was only half-concentrating when I wrote that post! Indeed, yes, I meant Martin Pawley, not Charlie McCorry.

Its the whole older, grizzled, world-weary, laconic lead and the young, energetic, immature, "full a' beans" companion dynamic.

Many films have such a dynamic, but The Searchers is known to be one of Spielberg's favourites. Indeed, its one of the four films he watches before filming any movie.

Stoo

Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966)

In the "similarities" category is: Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966)

The villains are a small, mechanized army led by a Belloq-type character whose lead henchman is a Dovchenko-like, big guy with a shaved head. They invade an Aztec civilization in Mexico searching for hidden GOLD. (There is also a camp scene at night similar to, "Crystal Skull".)

Tarzan_A.jpg

Tarzan_B.jpg

The villain & his army enter caves in pursuit of the gold.

Tarzan_C.jpg

The Aztec people are surpressed by modern, military superiority. (Similar to, "Crystal Skull", where the Ughas were easily overcome by the Russians.)

Tarzan_D.jpg

Thanks to the hero (Tarzan), the bad guys cannot achieve their goal without a fight (and an exploding military vehicle)!

Tarzan_E.jpg

Lo and behold, a block in a wall (adorned with a golden skull, no less) is pulled out and releases a SAND trap. (Extremely similar to, "Crystal Skull"!)

Tarzan_F.jpg

Tarzan_G-1.jpg

There is also a scene with Tarzan and a descending, trap door (à la "Raiders" and "Temple of Doom").;)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
In the "similarities" category is: Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966)

I remember this one from those Saturday morning Tarzans, but not clearly enough to have made those connections. (y)

These don't appear to available on DVD. (n)

Udvarnoky

Stoo said:
Lo and behold, a block in a wall (adorned with a golden skull, no less) is pulled out and releases a SAND trap. (Extremely similar to, "Crystal Skull"!)

Actually, reading your post, it's so obvious to me that Tarzan and the Valley of Gold was a huge influence on Stephen Sommers' The Jungle Book (the 1993, Disney live-action film), which is bizarrely way more of a piece with Tarzan and Indiana Jones than it is in any way kin to Kipling's writings. The sand trap scene your picture depicts is very similar to one in the Disney movie where a guy gets buried alive in salt in a mausoleum, which in my mind still holds the trophy for most bafflingly inappropriate scene in a kids movie ever.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I remember this one from those Saturday morning Tarzans, but not clearly enough to have made those connections. (y)

These don't appear to available on DVD. (n)
I'll reply to that in the Tarzan thread.;)
Udvarnoky said:
Actually, reading your post, it's so obvious to me that Tarzan and the Valley of Gold was a huge influence on Stephen Sommers' The Jungle Book (the 1993, Disney live-action film), which is bizarrely way more of a piece with Tarzan and Indiana Jones than it is in any way kin to Kipling's writings. The sand trap scene your picture depicts is very similar to one in the Disney movie where a guy gets buried alive in salt in a mausoleum, which in my mind still holds the trophy for most bafflingly inappropriate scene in a kids movie ever.
I LOVE the '93 "Jungle Book"! You've inspired me to watch it again, Udvarnoky.:) As for, "Valley of Gold", being an influence on it: That's possible but it's probably not the only previous film to feature a similar sand trap (but I get what you're saying with the Tarzan/Indy-esque quality of the movie).

Stoo

Split Second (1953)

"The Atomic Kid" (1954) has been discussed in this thread a few times but a GREAT companion film was released the year before it...

"Split Second" (1953)

Escaped convicts take a few people hostage and drive into a small, deserted, ghost town in Nevada called, 'Lost Hope City', using it as an overnight hideout. The town is part of an atomic bomb testing site and only a mile away from ground-zero so their plan is to leave with enough time before detonation the next morning. Much to everyone's horror the next day, the radio announces that the test schedule has been moved forward...one hour earlier!:eek: As the warning sirens scream, the panic-stricken group scrambles about in an attempt to survive. Of course, the bad guys take off in the car leaving the others to their doom. Driving like the devil, the vehicle & its villainous occupants are eventually incinerated by the explosion while the rest of the group survive (I won't say how). After the blast, the former hostages watch as the giant, mushroom cloud rises in the distance.

Seem familiar? Splice together, "Split Second" + "The Atomic Kid", and you ALMOST have the entire Doom Town scene!(y) (One of these days, I'm gonna do it.;))

SplitSecond1953_01.jpg

SplitSecond1953_03.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PGj5bJKr-PM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KkG2xUbMzWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

Split Second (1953) - Screengrabs - 1 of 5

Sets of images from "Split Second" that parallel "Crystal Skull"!:gun:

---
Nevada Testing Ground & "Lost Hope City":

SplitSecond_01_zpsabcaf1a3.jpg

Mad scramble for the car! Bad guys get away. Good guys are left stranded!:eek:

SplitSecond_02_zps2474d5d8.jpg

To be continued...

Stoo

Split Second (1953) - Screengrabs - 2 of 5

Uh-oh! It's the BOMB!:dead:

SplitSecond_03_zpsaec4dccd.jpg

Better turn this car around!:eek:

SplitSecond_04_zps988742cb.jpg

To be continued...

Raiders90

In The Wild One, in the beginning, when describing motorcycle gangs, a sheriff says:

"(They're) lookin' for somebody to push 'em around so they can get sore and show how tough they are..."

In KOTCS, in the diner scene, Indy says to Mutt:

"You don't have to get all sore all the time just to prove how tough you are."

Stoo

Split Second (1953) - Screengrabs - 4 of 5

KA-BOOM!!!

SplitSecond_06_zps92bb1d1c.jpg

Lost Hope City meets its destiny.

SplitSecond_07_zpsd92dafd4.jpg

Stoo

Split Second (1953) - Screengrabs - 5 of 5

Bye-bye bad guys...

SplitSecond_08_zpsf0df317f.jpg

How do the 'good guys' survive?:confused: Well, you'll just have to watch the film. Look out for it on Turner Classic Movies!:whip:

Stoo

Panic in Year Zero! (1962)

Compare "Crystal Skull" with:
Man in fedora gazing at mushroom cloud from "Panic in Year Zero!" (1962).

Though, what's gettin' blowed up ain't a fake town in Nevada...it's LOS ANGELES!:eek::eek::eek:

PanicYearZeroIndy_zps9f464ac1.jpg

(Image flipped for a better match.;))

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
Compare "Crystal Skull" with:
Man in fedora gazing at mushroom cloud from "Panic in Year Zero!" (1962).

Though, what's gettin' blowed up ain't a fake town in Nevada...it's LOS ANGELES!:eek::eek::eek:

PanicYearZeroIndy_zps9f464ac1.jpg

(Image flipped for a better match.;))
Impressive find.