TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #126
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
I find it a bit weird how Spielberg was so keen and enthusiastic about working with Harrison on Indy 5 before it was announced if this is the case.
Things change, plans get reassessed.

It happens all the time, particularly in the movie business.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #127
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Things change, plans get reassessed.

It happens all the time, particularly in the movie business.

And also, we're going by things Spielberg says between action and cut during press junkets. How he really feels is anybody's guess, but the way he's prioritizing the movie in his schedule speaks way louder than any posturing in interviews. He could have just as easily fast-tracked Indy 5 as his Oscar bait movie.

I think we have to accept the very real possibility at this point that the movie ain't happening.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #128
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I'm okay with this. I was just worrying this morning Indy might have to dodge yet another Hollywood strike...

...but now that's less likely. It may still film in 2018. Lucasfilm apparently learned from Rogue One to have a nice long run-up, preferably 2 years as with Star Wars 9 shooting this summer.

Thanks to curmudgeon's excellent post. It's possible there will be no Star Wars Anthology in 2020. Even Marvel speaks of taking something of a break, saga-wise. And who knows what Pixar has on deck after its victory lap of 3 more sequels this decade. Here's summer 2020 so far:

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is in there and some of the others are probably guessable.

That was what I was thinking. As of now there is not a scheduled Star Wars project beyond episode IX. Perhaps Indy will get the year 2020 all to himself before Lucasfilm relases the next Star Wars anthology the following year? It would be nice to have a summer where Indy can shine and take center stage without another Star Wars film. This might be the best case scenario.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #129
hismasterplan
IndyFan

Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right. With only four movies out over the last three or four decades, Indy 5 might not be as appealing to younger audiences who aren't as familiar with the franchise. If the movie does not perform as well as expected (not saying it won't make tons of money), I hope Disney doesn't interpret it the wrong way and step away from Indy. Anything can be bad business if the business handled bad.

While this has dampened my excitement quite a bit, I look forward to one last Ford outing. Then bring in the new talent on every level.

Last edited by hismasterplan : 04-25-2017 at 08:24 PM.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #130
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterplan
Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right. With only four movies out over the last three or four decades, Indy 5 might not be as appealing to younger audiences who aren't as familiar with the franchise. If the movie does not perform as well as expected (not saying it won't make tons of money), I hope Disney doesn't interpret it the wrong way and step away from Indy. Anything can be bad business if the business handled bad.

While this has dampened my excitement quite a bit, I look forward to one last Ford outing. Then bring in the new talent on every level.

Wrong - look at the Force Awakens. Harrison Ford was a big reason it made as much money as it did. People wanted to see Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) play Han Solo again (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Episodes 8 and 9 will bank - but none will come close to Episode 7 without Ford.

Indiana Jones 5 without Ford would be a big mistake, a mistake Disney will not make - hence why he has already been announced for the film.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #131
hismasterplan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Wrong - look at the Force Awakens. Harrison Ford was a big reason it made as much money as it did. People wanted to see Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) play Han Solo again (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Episodes 8 and 9 will bank - but none will come close to Episode 7 without Ford.

Indiana Jones 5 without Ford would be a big mistake, a mistake Disney will not make - hence why he has already been announced for the film.

Not sure what you meant by wrong, but yes I agree. Just saying we could have a consistent franchise if creativity was given to more people, even a new actor in a spin off or a post-Indy 5 sequel.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #132
Moedred
Administrator

My only real concern is if at 88 John Williams will be composing or decomposing. I hope they pass him scripts and storyboards so he can get as get some tunes down now. Maybe even let him score the previsualization.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #133
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I'm feeling some downright "Raiders112390" pangs of paranoia about Disney's commitment to this project.

I know I sound paranoid, but I really do feel that after Carrie's passing, I think Disney want Harrison out of the way. I mean, look at all the positive buzz TDK got because of Heath Ledger's passing. It was a great film regardless, but it got even more buzz with a dead Ledger than it would've with him alive. They can bank on the public's good will and nostalgia for a deceased Ford. I'm sorry, I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't trust large corporations. They just saw not six months ago how sudden death can come with Carrie dying at a decade younger than Harrison is. They saw Harrison's near miss with a plane only a few months ago. The man is going to be 75. And they want to push it back even further??? Come on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
His Disney "paranoia" didn't start until recently (which was a 180 degree turn from 2012).

A select few have been aware of the dangerous Disney acquisition. This news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with a brain.

A lot changes in five years. I didn't realize how insidious Disney was then. In 2012, Disney was the childhood movies I loved. Not a soulless corporation. I got older and wised up.

Not to bring politics into it, but this will now be the third term an Indy film is released during an election year:

TOD - 1984 - Reagan vs. Mondale
KOTCS - 2008 - Obama vs. McCain
Indy V - 2020 - Trump vs ????

It doesn't bode well. Raiders and LC, which were better received than the other two, were released in the first years of a new Presidency (1981, first year of Reagan's presidency; 1989 first year of GHW Bush's).

2020 will mark 39 years since Raiders, 31 years since LC, and 12 years since KOTCS.

Also, if they move real life time between films in tandem with time between Indy's adventures, 2008 (1957) to 2020 would bring us to 1969 in Indy's world. Not an era I want to see Indy in. Early 1960s I could accept. 1969...Altamont, Woodstock? Meh...

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 04-26-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #134
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic, but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #135
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic, but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.

Exactly. They could still shoot the film next year and just hold it over---at least they'd have it in the can and ready to go. Waiting until 2019 or even 2020 to shoot just seems reckless and it's just more proof that Indy isn't the priority they keep saying it is.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #136
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
If it comes out that they're still aiming to shoot next summer despite the moved release date, I'll stay optimistic.
Let's assume for a moment that they are still aiming to shoot next year. How would we find out?

Do you expect Speilberg/Koepp to leak something about the script at some point? Perhaps just an interview saying that they have a final draft?

If we don't hear anything between now and the end of this year, would you draw the conclusion that they are not going to shoot in 2018?

Quote:
but otherwise it's hard not to make assuptions about Spielberg and Disney's interest in the project.
There's no way Disney aren't going to make more Indy movies at some point.

Whether or not Spielberg is involved is another matter (and personally, I'd be totally ok with him out of the picture, even for Indy 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterplan
Remove the attachment to future films being a Ford / Spielberg / Usual Players franchise, bring in young writers, even base a story off one of the books and we could have a series of movies done right.
^ This.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #137
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Let's assume for a moment that they are still aiming to shoot next year. How would we find out?

Because that kind of thing doesn't get kept secret, and in fact generally comes with a press release. Barring that you'd have casting announcements, etc.

Quote:
If we don't hear anything between now and the end of this year, would you draw the conclusion that they are not going to shoot in 2018?

It would be hard not to at that point. In the case of Crystal Skull, the approved draft/greenlight came in Dec. 2006, with production beginning June 2007. So it seems reasonable we'd hear something within six months of the camera rolling. On the other hand, look at how rapidly The Post went from not existing at all to having a release date eight months from now.

Quote:
There's no way Disney aren't going to make more Indy movies at some point.

I was of course talking about the Ford/Spielberg Indy 5, which is the project in question and the one actually announced.

Last edited by Udvarnoky : 04-26-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #138
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Because that kind of thing doesn't get kept secret, and in fact generally comes with a press release. Barring that you'd have casting announcements, etc.
By when would we need to see those if they aim to start shooting, say, in the second half of 2018?

EDIT: I just saw your edit, thanks.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #139
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I think if anybody asks Spielberg about Indy 5 during press junkets for The Post - which they will - and he has an intention to still shoot Indy 5 next year, he would make that intention known.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #140
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I know I sound paranoid, but I really do feel that after Carrie's passing, I think Disney want Harrison out of the way.
I'm not sure it's to do with Carrie's passing.

Maybe they just appraised the reaction to the announcement of a fifth Indy movie starring Ford (which was made over a year ago), and realized that a new actor would actually be the preferred choice for most prospective viewers.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #141
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

It's not just Ford, either. Michael Kahn is 81 and John Williams is 85. And while I'm sure Spielberg is as healthy as an ox, at 70 he isn't a spring chicken either.

The whole idea of this project is that it's supposed to be the last hurrah from the original team. You'd think they'd at least pretend there's a sense of urgency about it.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #142
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

It reminds me what Iger said when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Iger
We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise because of the encumbrances that exist.

Guess he really meant it word for word.

That being said, Lucas wasn't exactly much better with the franchise. He once said "I don't care" when asked if he was developing Indiana Jones 5 before Disney bought it. And of course, we all remember how needlessly long we waiting for Indiana Jones 4.

I guess when you take away our emotional attachment to the series as fans and look at it as just a business, it makes sense to focus nearly all of your time on a franchise where its installments make a billion dollar just by merely slapping a logo on it.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #143
seasider
IndyFan

I believe the encumbrances Iger was referring to was Paramount which still had distribution rights to the franchise at the time. Disney and Paramount reached a deal a year later allowing Disney distribution rights for future films.

The fact that we still have an official release date and not a "delayed indefinitely" status for the film gives us some hope that they're still committed to making the movie...for now. It would be nice to get a statement from Spielberg or Kathleen Kennedy to clarify the status on Indy 5 and maybe even a reason behind the delay.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #144
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Captain America Civil War.. The one scene that makes me think of Indy 5 is the flashback CGI of Tony Stark as a college student. It looked better than any other movie that had tried it (Tron: Legacy for example). Considering that's actually old technology that was able to pull that off at this point, imagine how great it could look in 2019.

When they announced July 19th, 2019 for Indy 5, this was almost the first thought that I had. I know Frank Marshall later said the story would follow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, shooting this theory down (unless its a movie filled with flashbacks), but now it seems even more likely.

Why couldn't Harrison be playing a younger Indiana Jones by then? It makes we wonder if this has been the plan all along.
Willie Hott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #145
11YearsLater
IndyFan

What's with all this negativity? This new announcement confirms they are still completely committed to making this movie with Spielberg and Ford on board. Had they had any doubts about making Indy 5 with Spielberg + Ford, they simply would not have announced anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Hott
I know Frank Marshall later said the story would follow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, shooting this theory down
It's not necessarily shooting your theory down. I have been predicting for a long time that Indy 5 would both act as the end to the Indy series with Ford, and as the first movie of a new Indy series with a new actor. 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie taking place a decade after Crstal Skull featuring Ford, and 2/3 or 1/2 of it taking place a few years before Doom featuring a younger actor as Indy.

What if they want to wait with a completely new Indy series, and want Ford to play both the old AND the young Indiana in Indy 5? The de-aging technology as seen in Captain America 3 is already near perfect, Scorese will use it for his next movie to de-age DeNiro and Pacino. I am now convinced that this is exactly what Spielberg and his team are planning to do.

Last edited by 11YearsLater : 04-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.
11YearsLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #146
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

There's negativity because the news is negative. Pushing back the release date of a movie that's more sensitive to delays than most is not a sign of commitment.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #147
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11YearsLater
What's with all this negativity? This new announcement confirms they are still completely committed to making this movie with Spielberg and Ford on board. Had they had any doubts about making Indy 5 with Spielberg + Ford, they simply would not have announced anything about it.

It's not necessarily shooting your theory down. I have been predicting for a long time that Indy 5 would both act as the end to the Indy series with Ford, and as the first movie of a new Indy series with a new actor. 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie taking place a decade after Crstal Skull featuring Ford, and 2/3 or 1/2 of it taking place a few years before Doom featuring a younger actor as Indy.

What if they want to wait with a completely new Indy series, and want Ford to play both the old AND the young Indiana in Indy 5? The de-aging technology as seen in Captain America 3 is already near perfect, Scorese will use it for his next movie to de-age DeNiro and Pacino. I am now convinced that this is exactly what Spielberg and his team are planning to do.
Boy, I hope we're right. It would be a dream come true to see Harrison playing Indiana Jones in his 20's or 30's again.

Come on, Indy fans.. Get those chins up. This could turn out even better than expected. Is it annoying that they pushed it a whole extra year? Of course it's frustrating. But they are still committed to it and wouldn't have announced it in the first place. I'm hoping for one of the best Indy movies we've ever seen. Technology can bring us an Indy film that we've never even dreamed of before!
Willie Hott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #148
Pale Horse

Quote:
It reminds me what Iger said when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Iger
We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise because of the encumbrances that exist.

Guess he really meant it word for word.

"It's not show friends, it's show business."

They're not building an Indiana Jonesland on either coast now, are they?

I put a plate of crow on the page in another closed thread a while ago. I just may have to put it in the fridge. Like a good moderator friend of mine was more wise to illuminate.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #149
IndyBuff
IndyFan

An additional three years is a long time to wait for anything. It's not a few months we're talking about but now three years with a cast and crew that are well into their 60's and 70's. Time is critical here.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #150
Wilhelm
IndyFan

Next thing they will announce a new writer to improve the David Koepp script (Kasdan, Nathanson, Zaillian) specially the characterizations and dialogue although the basic structure will remain the same.

About the de-aging Ford: Indiana could be the Dean of the University in the 60s, totally retired from any adventure but the movie needs to begin with an action teaser to maintain the tradition. They could use the Young CGI Ford only for the prologue (Like in Last Crusade) and then the Old Ford for the rest of the movie.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote