TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #151
micsteam
IndyFan

This is about Spielberg's availability, I think everybody else involved would be ready to go but it's about the original formula or as close as Disney can get to it and that's why we are waiting until '20. MHO
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #152
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsteam
This is about Spielberg's availability, I think everybody else involved would be ready to go but it's about the original formula or as close as Disney can get to it and that's why we are waiting until '20. MHO

Yeah..Can't wait for his Pentagon Papers movie. Zzzzzzzzz....Glad he's prioritizing Indy 5.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #153
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
O wise one... two mods with one stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
I put a plate of crow on the page in another closed thread a while ago. I just may have to put it in the fridge. Like a good moderator friend of mine was more wise to illuminate.
I remember that post vividly, and I've been waiting for you to mention it.

But instead of putting the crow in the fridge you should bury it in sand, like the Hákarl shark they make in Finland.

Or is it Iceland?
Whatever, they're all the same to me.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #154
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsteam

It's like a best friends wedding pledge, if we're not married by the time we're eighty....let's make another movie.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #155
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
They could use the Young CGI Ford only for the prologue (Like in Last Crusade) and then the Old Ford for the rest of the movie.

They'd need a good voice actor, because Old Harrison sounds nothing like Young Harrison. No one would buy it. Not to mention the fact that any CGI de-aged Harrison would instantly be the talk of the internet, and likely not for the better. People get creeped out at that stuff.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #156
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
They'd need a good voice actor, because Old Harrison sounds nothing like Young Harrison. No one would buy it. Not to mention the fact that any CGI de-aged Harrison would instantly be the talk of the internet, and likely not for the better. People get creeped out at that stuff.

It worked in Red Dragon. I thought Hopkins looked a lot younger, naturally so, than he did in Hannibal, which took place nearly 20 years later and was released just a year before:

And Harrison's face outside of wrinkles and grey hair hasn't changed all THAT much since LC. You'd just need to dewrinkle him and lighten his hair and set it around 1939, 1940.

As long as it's not a full CG job like they did with Tarkin in RI it should be okay.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #157
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
And Harrison's face outside of wrinkles and grey hair hasn't changed all THAT much since LC. You'd just need to dewrinkle him and lighten his hair and set it around 1939, 1940.

Uh...I think you need to have another look. He looks very different. Also, it's not so much the look that's the issue, it's that he frankly sounds like a growly old man now. His current voice can't pass for his 30-years-younger self.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #158
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
Uh...I think you need to have another look. He looks very different. Also, it's not so much the look that's the issue, it's that he frankly sounds like a growly old man now. His current voice can't pass for his 30-years-younger self.

I think it could work. It'd just need a lot of movie magic to work. Not perhaps the voice bit but I'd buy it. I mean, I buy 2 years passing between Raiders and LC when he aged quite a bit between 80 and 88. I obviously don't think they could make him pass for 20...But I think they could with makeup and some CGI make him look like he was in his 40s.

It's just...Harrison has a very distinctive look, and while he's wooden, his brand of wooden acting is his own. The only actor who came close to getting Indy down besides him was River and there's really not many young actors who are not only that talented, but also look like a young Harrison. I know a new actor is inevitable, but I want to postpone it for as long as reasonably possible.

But I guess we should be happy with whatever we get. The window for a believable Harrison helmed Indy film closed in the early 2000s. In 2002, he could've easily played Indy just a few years older than LC and been believable, and had a good number of plausible action scenes to boot.

TL;DR Blame Lucas.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #159
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
I think it could work. It'd just need a lot of movie magic to work. Not perhaps the voice bit but I'd buy it. I mean, I buy 2 years passing between Raiders and LC when he aged quite a bit between 80 and 88. I obviously don't think they could make him pass for 20...But I think they could with makeup and some CGI make him look like he was in his 40s.

It's just...Harrison has a very distinctive look, and while he's wooden, his brand of wooden acting is his own. The only actor who came close to getting Indy down besides him was River and there's really not many young actors who are not only that talented, but also look like a young Harrison. I know a new actor is inevitable, but I want to postpone it for as long as reasonably possible.

But I guess we should be happy with whatever we get. The window for a believable Harrison helmed Indy film closed in the early 2000s. In 2002, he could've easily played Indy just a few years older than LC and been believable, and had a good number of plausible action scenes to boot.

TL;DR Blame Lucas.
Have you seen "Age of Adaline"? Anthony Ingruber pulled off a young Harrison even better than River Phoenix. For me, it's not even close. I so badly wanted Ingruber to be chosen for the new Han Solo movies, and in turn, maybe be casted as a young Indy. But Frank Marshall has said they will never re-cast Indiana Jones. Maybe that changes.. Who knows. If it doesn't change.. Maybe re-casting Mutt Williams is in the cards. Ingruber has to be the pick. Indy 5 could also potentially be where Indy passes the fedora to his son, and they could do spin off movies about The Adventures of Mutt Williams.

Check out Age of Adaline simply for the flashback scenes with Anthony Ingruber. He nails Harrison Ford impeccably well.
Willie Hott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #160
davidgribouille
IndyFan

I personnaly think that if Harrison Ford had the lead cast, he should really assume his age. He could be an awesome Indy with the beard he wore last year. An Indy closer to the character of Johnny Depp in the The Ninth Gate (though Johnny was as young as Harrison in Indy 1), I mean maybe he doesn't have to run, jump or drive a plane (well for this last point he almost can do it…)
About Anthony Ingruber, let's forget him, let him start his own carreer. I think this comparaison with Harrison Ford could really be a heavy weight by the time. And personnaly, I don't think that he's so amazing in Adaline… He's just OK for a few minutes of a memory.
davidgribouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #161
Moedred
Administrator

Excerpts from the Noah Falstein AMA. A Fate of Atlantis movie?
Quote:
Can be - sure! Will be - very unlikely. Steven Spielberg enjoyed it - he is a hard-core game player, I have a lot of stories of seeing how dedicated to games he is - but he has plenty of ideas of his own about Indiana Jones, as does George. I got to brainstorm with the two of them together when I was the first project leader on The Dig, and really respect their depth of knowledge and their creativity, so I don't think it will be chosen as a movie plot, unless at some future point there is perhaps an animated series like George has done with Star Wars, giving them the option to explore many different stories.
Quote:
We had lots of ideas - had narrowed it down to the one we chose, and one about a quest to find Excalibur, but rejected that one because it wouldn't have easily given Jones a reason to go anywhere but England, while Atlantis gave us a lot more interesting options.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #162
seasider
IndyFan

I can see the Atlantis idea working if it revolved around an artifact or secret map that unlocked the secrets of the whereabouts of Atlantis and Indy had to find it to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands and also to satisfy his own curiosity.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #163
Raiders112390
IndyFan

This is why Indy V will end up cancelled:

Quote:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 currently sits atop the worldwide box office, Disney and Marvel’s sequel having already grossed over $500 million.

However, the latest box-office predictions state the first weekend of May through to early September takings will be down five to 10 percent on last year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, that’s a total loss of $450 million as the overall Summer gross in the US is expected to fall from $4.45 billion to $4 billion, the worst in a decade.

While seemingly a relatively small percentage, for the entire cinema industry it could be quite disastrous. The publication states how many executives are worried there are just too many sequels and franchises overflowing the market.

“Some of the tent poles are just not as strong this year,” 20th Century Fox head of domestic distribution Chris Aronson says. “Pirates of the Caribbean? It's the fifth one. Transformers? It’s the fifth one.”

Fox has just released their sixth instalment in the Alien franchise — Alien: Covenant — and are releasing the third in the rebooted Planet of the Apes series, War for the Planet of the Apes.

Whereas sequels were once guaranteed hits, thanks to more savvy cinema-goers — in part, thanks to social media — they have begun flopping. For instance, last year saw Star Trek: Beyond, X-Men: Apocalypse, Independence Day: Resurgence, and Alice in Wonderland all underperformed.

“Man, this is depressing,” one insider told LA Times. “It is just entirely sequels and franchises, and something’s got to give.”

This summer’s flagship non-sequel films include King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Baywatch, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and The Dark Tower — the former has received relatively negative reviews already while the other three have failed to excite major numbers.

The only original blockbuster to be gathering much word-of-mouth buzz is Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk, starring Tom Hardy, Harry Styles, and Kenneth Branagh.

Box-office analyst Jeff Bock also spoke about the rise in streaming quality TV shows, thanks to the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prim and Hulu in the US.

It’s not all bad news though. Hopefully, with blockbusters not being so dominant, the likes of Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver, the Charlize Theron-starring Atomic Blonde, and A24’s It Comes at Night will make big sums this summer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7732976.html

Studios want money, and sequels are increasingly not where it's at. Indy V with geriatric Ford? I guarantee you by this time next year the project will be either scrapped entirely or an announcement of sorts concerning Ford's lack of involvement will be released.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 05-12-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added quote tags; wasn't immediately clear this was from elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #164
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Studios want money, and sequels are increasingly not where it's at. Indy V with geriatric Ford? I guarantee you by this time next year the project will be either scrapped entirely or an announcement of sorts concerning Ford's lack of involvement will be released.

The Force Awakens made over 2 billion, and a lot of that was attributed to Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) returning to play Han Solo (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Star Wars sequels will continue to make money, but none will come close to The Force Awakens without Ford.

That, plus the fact that Indiana Jones is now regarded as the greatest FILM character of all time (according to polls) and you have a recipe for a high blockbuster film with Indy 5 starring Ford under the new Disney umbrella.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 05-12-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #165
Olliana
IndyFan

Nah, Indy 5 is still happening. They could have cancelled it right away, but they didn't. Let's just wait and see.
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #166
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
The Force Awakens made over 2 billion, and a lot of that was attributed to Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) returning to play Han Solo (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Star Wars sequels will continue to make money, but none will come close to The Force Awakens without Ford.

That, plus the fact that Indiana Jones is now regarded as the greatest FILM character of all time (according to polls) and you have a recipe for a high blockbuster film with Indy 5 starring Ford under the new Disney umbrella.
No offense, but this sounds like something you want to be true. Do you have sources to back up the fact that the success of Star Wars returning to the theater with all the major characters (sorry Lando) was due to just one of them?
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #167
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
No offense, but this sounds like something you want to be true. Do you have sources to back up the fact that the success of Star Wars returning to the theater with all the major characters (sorry Lando) was due to just one of them?

Who was featured front and center? The "Chewie, We're home" trailer was huge for the marketing team. Han Solo was the heart and soul of that film.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #168
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Who was featured front and center? The "Chewie, We're home" trailer was huge for the marketing team. Han Solo was the heart and soul of that film.
None of which actually shows that Ford's presence is what carried the film as opposed to Fisher, Hamil, Star Wars back in the theater in general, the return to practical effects over the awful CGI of the prequels, actual decent writing and editing, etc.

If Last Jedi is as well made but gets significantly less revenue you might have a point. If the numbers are fairly similar though then it would seem Ford's presence wasn't the reason.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #169
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
(sorry Lando)

Last edited by Pale Horse : 05-14-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #170
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Ford was definitely a big factor in the hype for Episode VII but I don't think he was the only reason so many people were into it. The return to a more realistic and exciting style definitely helped, along with a completely new storyline that we have no idea how it will end. I think it was less about one actor or element but rather the combination of many popular aspects that propelled it.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #171
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Ford was definitely a big factor in the hype for Episode VII but I don't think he was the only reason so many people were into it. The return to a more realistic and exciting style definitely helped, along with a completely new storyline that we have no idea how it will end. I think it was less about one actor or element but rather the combination of many popular aspects that propelled it.

Personally, I think it was just nostalgia and the lack of Lucas.
Let's say you take Ford, Fisher and Hamill out of the picture.
You're left with three leads no one cares about, with no Lucas.
I sincerely doubt that without Han, Luke, Leia, R2 and Chewie being in it, it would have done anywhere near as well as it did. It would've made a few hundred million, maybe even a billion, but it wouldn't have become one of the highest grossing films of all time without ALL of the original cast sans Lando being in it to some degree. They were just cheap nostalgia fodder and it paid off handsomely. Which is a shame, because I view it as poor, high budget fan fiction. I liked the original A New Hope a lot better than the remake, I'll put it that way.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #172
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgribouille
I personnaly think that if Harrison Ford had the lead cast, he should really assume his age. He could be an awesome Indy with the beard he wore last year. An Indy closer to the character of Johnny Depp in the The Ninth Gate (though Johnny was as young as Harrison in Indy 1), I mean maybe he doesn't have to run, jump or drive a plane (well for this last point he almost can do it…)
I totally agree on having Ford really assume his age.. What I'm hoping for is the Godfather Part II format. We see Vito becoming a mobster in old Italy, and we flash forward to his son Michael being a don in the US, and back and forth.

It would be outstanding to see the older Indy going through his new adventure, and simultaneously flashing back to an adventure he had as a budding archeologist. Both roles of course, played by Harrison. One CGI, one not.
Quote:

About Anthony Ingruber, let's forget him, let him start his own carreer. I think this comparaison with Harrison Ford could really be a heavy weight by the time. And personnaly, I don't think that he's so amazing in Adaline… He's just OK for a few minutes of a memory.
Agree to disagree.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #173
Raiders112390
IndyFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

This was shot when the guy was 16...I would trust this guy as a young Indy. Tell me he wouldn't fit as a young Indy?
He's not only got the voice (and it's probably gotten deeper since he was 16) but at certain angles he looks exactly like a young Ford.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #174
Willie Hott
IndyFan

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

This was shot when the guy was 16...I would trust this guy as a young Indy. Tell me he wouldn't fit as a young Indy?
He's not only got the voice (and it's probably gotten deeper since he was 16) but at certain angles he looks exactly like a young Ford.
Exactly! That's Anthony Ingruber. He would be perfect. The best choice.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #175
TheLostCrusader
IndyFan

I agree completely, Anthony Ingruber could pull this off. I think if maybe they used him in flashbacks in the next movie, setting him up with Harrison maybe remembering how he split with Abner Ravenwood, by the end of the film people would be more accepting of the possibility of someone else (hopefully Anthony) doing more films as Indy.
TheLostCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote