TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #26
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Huzzah! Now I can indoctrinate my spouse, who was a huge *Talespin* fan. And perhaps the offspring.

I just re-watched the series - over a week this summer whilst they were away without me - via ye olde unscrupulous means. But I'll happily pay for the real deal and quality.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #27
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Who would that be, Goonie? I would love to talk to this person!

Ok, so I guess there's more than one. Didn't Mitchell say he was a fan on the Indycast? Or was that Ed?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #28
Ska
IndyFan

Yeah another addition to the "Influenced-by-Indy" shelf!
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Ok, so I guess there's more than one. Didn't Mitchell say he was a fan on the Indycast? Or was that Ed?
Maybe both? Mitchell definitely is because he started the thread about Jeff MacKay passing away which I linked to above.

Apparently it was released in the U.K. 2 days ago! Having an all-region player, I must decide whether to get this version or wait almost a year for the North American release with the bonus features. Too bad that Jeff MacKay and Roddy McDowall are not around anymore to contribute to the extra material.

Can't wait to see Cutter's Goose fly across the TV screen again!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #30
inky_skin
IndyFan

Tales of the Gold Monkey

Ok, so not a movie, but still a great Indy-esque TV show. After waiting nearly 25 years for an official release of this series, I finally have the 6-disk DVD box set in hand (having had to rely on VHS bootlegs in the past) ! Does anyone have any memories of this show ?
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, everytime it came on I wished they just put all that money towards an Indiana Jones TV show.

Tales of the Gold Monkey in FILMS?

Last edited by Rocket Surgeon : 11-21-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Inky, I'm extremely jealous of you right now. You lucky dog! The U.K. got it first but after waiting this long, I think I'm going to wait for next year to get the Region 1 release w/bonus material. Do remember when the show was originally called, "Tales of the Brass Monkey"?

Anyway the topic fits in "Films" category since the pilot episode was a tele-film. There are also these threads:

Tales of the Gold Monkey coming to DVD
Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD?
Tales of the Gold Monkey
"Gold Monkey" Co-Star Passes Away at 60
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #33
Golddragon71
IndyFan

Tales of the Gold Monkey on DVD

ok this isn't exactly news as it's been announced since I think December or January, still I think that as a contemporary of our dear Dr. Jones adventures the short lived series starring Stephen Collins (Star Trek The Motion Picture, 7th Heaven) and Roddy McDowell (Planet of The Apes) deserves a shout-out!
Tales of the Gold Monkey was originally concieved in the 1970's but TV executives at the time didn't believe an adventure series set in the late 1930's would draw much ratings. With the Success of Raiders of the Lost Ark, however, Tales was given the green light.
Tales of the Gold Monkey centers around the adventures of freelance cargo pilot and former Flying Tiger Jake Cutter (Collins, they fudged the years making Cutter a former Tiger despite the fact that the American Volunteer Group didn't form officially til 1941) His One eyed dog Jack, His Mechanic Corky and Sarah Stickney White (an undercover Agent for the US Government)
Jake flies a Grumman G-21 Goose. (A beautiful Seaplane called Cutter's Goose in the series)
The series takes place largely on the fictional South Pacific Islands of Bora Gora (based loosely on the real world island Borbora), Matuka, and Tagataya

The DVD set hits stores June 8th and can be pre-ordered here.
http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gold-Mon...f=pd_rhf_p_t_3
I highly recommend this series to any adventure fan.
Golddragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragon71
The DVD set hits stores June 8th and can be pre-ordered here.
http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gold-Mon...f=pd_rhf_p_t_3
I highly recommend this series to any adventure fan.
Thanks to ddschneider1972 for the reminder:

Did anyone pick up the Region 1 DVD set yet? It came out last week. I'm heading back to Canada in July and the 1st thing I'm going to do is go buy it. Stoked!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #35
Heavy-Sixer
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks to ddschneider1972 for the reminder:

Did anyone pick up the Region 1 DVD set yet? It came out last week. I'm heading back to Canada in July and the 1st thing I'm going to do is go buy it. Stoked!

I've been waiting to pick this up too. My plan was to get it from Deepdiscount.com because they are having their 25% off sale right now (which would make the set around $23), but for some reason DD says that it's not in stock and the 25% off doesn't apply to it. Amazon seems like the best bet at this point. I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this set.
Heavy-Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
Montana Smith
IndyFan

An Ebay seller in the UK has a large number of them for sale at £32.99 with free delivery. I've been watching them for weeks, but can't decide whether or not to go for it.

I can't remember much about the series when it originally aired. Did it have decent production values? Or was it pretty cheesy and low rent?
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #37
Heavy-Sixer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
An Ebay seller in the UK has a large number of them for sale at £32.99 with free delivery. I've been watching them for weeks, but can't decide whether or not to go for it.

I can't remember much about the series when it originally aired. Did it have decent production values? Or was it pretty cheesy and low rent?

I remember it being on TV but I can't really recall an episode or anything like that. I found this quote from a review article, which seems promising:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDTOWN.com
The actors may not have wowed anyone with their chops, but "Tales of the Gold Monkey" actually won an Emmy for Outstanding Art Direction for a Series (for the two-hour pilot), and it was nominated for Outstanding Costume Design, Outstanding Film Sound Editing, and Outstanding Film Sound Mixing--the latter no doubt the result of their being able to achieve soundstage-quality dialogue in exterior locations.
Heavy-Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
There are loads of clips on YouTube. Check them out and judge for yourself.

Now all we need is a boxed-set of "Bring 'Em Back Alive" (which used to air during the exact same time-slot as "Gold Monkey").
Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #39
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Sixer
I remember it being on TV but I can't really recall an episode or anything like that.

That seems to be the response of a lot of people to this show. We remember it but not very clearly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Sixer
I found this quote from a review article, which seems promising:

This quote sounds promising:

"Though the effects, partial-location filming, cliff-hanging adventures, and oddball characters in "Tales of the Gold Monkey" are better-than-average for television, the show still looked like a paler version of the big-budget Steven Spielberg movie. And since it was expensive to produce, the series only lasted a single season."

Quote:
There are loads of clips on YouTube. Check them out and judge for yourself.

I'll have a look.

Quote:
Now all we need is a boxed-set of "Bring 'Em Back Alive" (which used to air during the exact same time-slot as "Gold Monkey").

That's another one I can't remember anything about.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #40
adventure_al
IndyFan

i'd quite like to see this.

I hadn't heard of it before or so I thought but watching the youtube clips it seems familiar. I think I was very young when it aired.
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #41
Chewbacca Jones
IndyFan

Well, I have my dvd set, and it's as fun as I remember. Granted, it has that 80's quality to it that most of the hits had - A-Team, Magnum, etc. But I still love it, it holds up fairly well, and it is amazing to think that so much of it was designed pre-Raiders.

I viewed the pilot while Canyon was visiting - her first exposure to the series. She couldn't get enough of it, and if my father hadn't borrowed the set, we might have watched the whole set in a week!
Chewbacca Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #42
phantom train
IndyFan

Tales of the Gold Monkey - wow - I literally haven't thought about this show in years. I have very dim memories of seeing this on TV in the early '80's. I remember liking it at the time, but am not sure how well it would hold up now. It was obviously a take-off on IJ, but I remember it being original in a lot of ways as well.

I will probably try to check out the DVD set at some point if I can.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #43
Stoo
IndyFan

I looked in many different stores for the DVDs and none of them had it until FINALLY I found it at HMV ($36.99 Canadian). It was the last set on the shelf! After almost 30 years, I'll be able to watch the series again and am 'through the roof' over here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure_al
i'd quite like to see this.

I hadn't heard of it before or so I thought but watching the youtube clips it seems familiar. I think I was very young when it aired.
They must have been re-runs, Al, since it orginally aired in the '82/'83 season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca Jones
I viewed the pilot while Canyon was visiting - her first exposure to the series. She couldn't get enough of it, and if my father hadn't borrowed the set, we might have watched the whole set in a week!
That's not very nice of your dad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
It was obviously a take-off on IJ,
Like Chewbacca Jones mentioned above, the idea was actually conceived pre-"Raiders". I believe that it was Indy's success which gave "Brass Monkey" idea the green light.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #44
Golddragon71
IndyFan

Happy 30th Birthday, Tales of the Gold Monkey!

Hard to believe that this series has existed (albeit in the back of some people's minds for the most part) for 30 years!
I distinctly remembered the day the pilot first aired as I was very excited (having lost track of how many times I saw Raiders the preceeding Summer)
My problem was it started at 8:00 on a School Night (the 22nd was a Wednesday that year) and my parents banished my 11 year old self to bed after only the first 10 minutes of the premier. (To this day I don't remember a single thing that was taught in school that day i only remember that i missed the first episode of a TV show that would influence my personal interests for the next 30 years!)
Golddragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
Randolph Carter
IndyFan

I remember watching most of the episodes of this series way back during its initial run.
Would like to see it again, so I'll probably pick up the box set.
Randolph Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #46
Stoo
IndyFan

Thumbs up Bon Chance Louie & Beau Geste

Randolph, it's a nice boxed set (and I haven't even watched the extra, bonus material yet) and worth getting if you enjoyed the series on TV.

One thing I realized while watching the episodes again, all these years later, is that Bon Chance Louie was once part of the French Foreign Legion with the classic, adventure character, Beau Geste. In one episode, he mentions the Blue Water Sapphire jewel and, in another, he talks about being at Fort Zinderneuf!

Subtle references that I really enjoyed. Nice little touch.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

For any "Gold Monkey" fans who also happen to be action-figure-customizers, I found this image while looking for pictures of Jake Cutter's dog, Jack.

Here's the thread with more photos:
http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/vie...?f=10&p=115090
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #48
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
(...but any "Gold Monkey" fan would've never watched that show since it aired during the same time-slot.)

I can safely say that I had never heard of this show until this thread popped up here, so, whoever started this thread, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

This has been floating around my Netflix queue for quite some time, and I finally decided to bump it up to the top. Glad I did, too! Despite my initial reservations about Stephen Collins in the lead (he'll forever be condemned as The Dad in Seventh Heaven), I was quite entertained. There were some appalling bad 80's-era VFX (specifically, the natives' Adoration of the Uranium) that momentarily took me out of the story, but it holds up quite well. The weather work, for example, is superb. And whether or not it was intentional, having the cast almost always sweating really sold the location as the South Pacific.

I'm only three episodes in, but it's definitely a find. I'll need to jump another disc or two to the top of my queue soonish. I've got some notes here to flesh out later, but a couple of early concerns:

- Was the story actually fixed to the thirties? The principle cast is dressed for the period, but at times supporting cast look like they've stumbled off the set of Blue Hawaii. To be blunt, the clothing is wrong for the period.

-Jake appears to have been in the Flying Tigers. They weren't commissioned until, what, '41?

- Cutter's Goose doesn't strike me as the plane of a bush pilot. It looks like he should be ferrying passengers to Fantasy Island instead. Too clean and cushioned!

The Monkey Bar is a great set, and I wish the monkey Jake picked up in the pilot was still roaming the bar in the later episodes. It would have been a nice little touch.

Also: The TaleSpin comparisons are spot on! Somebody at Disney Animation was really inspired.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 02-06-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #49
Spectre
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I can safely say that I had never heard of this show until this thread popped up here, so, whoever started this thread, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

This has been floating around my Netflix queue for quite some time, and I finally decided to bump it up to the top. Glad I did, too! Despite my initial reservations about Stephen Collins in the lead (he'll forever be condemned as The Dad in Seventh Heaven), I was quite entertained. There were some appalling bad 80's-era VFX (specifically, the natives' Adoration of the Uranium) that momentarily took me out of the story, but it holds up quite well. The weather work, for example, is superb. And whether or not it was intentional, having the cast almost always sweating really sold the location as the South Pacific.

I'm only three episodes in, but it's definitely a find. I'll need to jump another disc or two to the top of my queue soonish. I've got some notes here to flesh out later, but a couple of early concerns:

- Was the story actually fixed to the thirties? The principle cast is dressed for the period, but at times supporting cast look like they've stumbled off the set of Blue Hawaii. To be blunt, the clothing is wrong for the period.

-Jake appears to have been in the Flying Tigers. They weren't commissioned until, what, '41?

- Cutter's Goose doesn't strike me as the plane of a bush pilot. It looks like he should be ferrying passengers to Fantasy Island instead. Too clean and cushioned!

The Monkey Bar is a great set, and I wish the monkey Jake picked up in the pilot was still roaming the bar in the later episodes. It would have been a nice little touch.

Also: The TaleSpin comparisons are spot on! Somebody at Disney Animation was really inspired.

I was a huge fan of the show when it first aired.

Yes--it's set in the early 40s.
Jack is a former Flying Tiger. That's where he met Corkie.

Great show--great story--awesome back stories!!!
I love how Jake is still mad at Jack fir losing his opal and sapphire eye in a card game...lol.
That dog has TUDE!!!!

Wait until you see John Hillerman (Higgins) as a Nazi--great stuff.

I was so glad when this finally came out on DVD--I had been a member of the Gold Monkey club petitioning for years!
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #50
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:

This has been floating around my Netflix queue for quite some time, and I finally decided to bump it up to the top. Glad I did, too!
What a pleasant & refreshing thread bump! (As it turns out, I was wrong about "Bring 'Em Back Alive" sharing the same time-slot. It aired on a different night of the week so I must've been thinking about some other scheduling conflict.)
Quote:

- Costumes: On the contrary, I think they did a decent job with the costumes. Sure, there are a few 'island girls' on Bora Gora whose dresses look too modern but, overall, the period clothes look pretty good. Even one of the show's Emmy nominations was for costume design.

- Timeframe: Yes, the series is set too early for the Flying Tigers and this is one of the story's major gaffes. The flashbacks show Jake flying with them in 1937 but, considering that the Marivellas Islands are completely fictional, this fudging of real history isn't too bothersome.

- Plane: It suits Jake's needs because he also flies passengers around. The cleanliness isn't too much of a problem because those Grumman Gooses were brand new back then. Odd how the engines keep failing even though the plane can't be more than a year old! That said, I love "The Goose" and it's essentially a character in the family, so to speak.

- Monkey statue: It can be seen throughout the series sitting on the corner of the bar nears the stairs. Whenever there's a fight, someone takes it off the bar so it won't get smashed!

- I've never seen "Talespin" but its creator, Jymn Magon, said that "Gold Monkey" was indeed an inspiration.
http://www.animationsource.org/tales...38&numg=160336

Anyway, don't let the poorer episodes put you off from watching all of them. One of my faves is "Legends Are Forever" and you'll see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Yes--it's set in the early 40s.
Jack is a former Flying Tiger. That's where he met Corkie.

Great show--great story--awesome back stories!!!
I love how Jake is still mad at Jack fir losing his opal and sapphire eye in a card game...lol.
That dog has TUDE!!!!

Wait until you see John Hillerman (Higgins) as a Nazi--great stuff.
It's set in 1938. The year is mentioned & shown numerous times.
Jake & Corky met in Guatemala in 1933.

Well said, Spectre, about the attitude! The dog is one of my favourite things about the show. I love how it can understand what people are saying, no matter what language.

Higgins from "Magnum P.I." was in the pilot episode so Le Saboteur has already seen him. Speaking of other Donald Bellisario productions, Anne Lockhart from "Battlestar Galactica" was in an episode (which I'm sure you know). What is uncanny is that she plays an Amish widow with a young boy whom Jake lives with for a while, disguised as an Amish. Uncanny because that episode aired 3 years before Harrison Ford did the same thing in "Witness".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
I was so glad when this finally came out on DVD--I had been a member of the Gold Monkey club petitioning for years!
The DVD release is a godsend and it's a shame that this show doesn't get very much attention here at The Raven. Nice to see another fan!