General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Henry W Jones

So I got an idea for Indy 5 involving a Catholic artifact guarded by a sinister priest.

Harrison Ford in "Indy 5"

Co-starring........

johnnyfive.jpg

Johnny 5!!!!!!

They could even call it "Indy 5 vs Johnny 5" kind of like Aliens vs Predators. It's got a nice ring to it. He could be a crazy robot built in the 60's

Henry W Jones said:
So I got an idea for Indy 5 involving a Catholic artifact guarded by a sinister priest.

Harrison Ford in "Indy 5"

Co-starring........

johnnyfive.jpg

Johnny 5!!!!!!

They could even call it "Indy 5 vs Johnny 5" kind of like Aliens vs Predators. It's got a nice ring to it. He could be a crazy robot built in the 60's

Make it Indy 5 vs Johnny 5 vs Police Academy 5 vs Rocky 5 and you got yourself the feel shit smash of the summer.

DoomsdayFAN

I think the best possible idea for them would be to go back to the style of Raiders. Not just Raiders itself, but the actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventure. So what if the film is set in the late 50s/early 60s. No matter what era Indy is in, it will always (and should always) be that type of adventure.

The B-Movie thing is a good idea, but they failed at making a good B-movie in KOTCS. Perhaps Indy V should be a hybrid of a 30s serial & 50s B-Movie. A film as such, if done properly, would be absolutely EPIC. (y) :gun:

Darth Vile

DoomsdayFAN said:
I think the best possible idea for them would be to go back to the style of Raiders. Not just Raiders itself, but the actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventure. So what if the film is set in the late 50s/early 60s. No matter what era Indy is in, it will always (and should always) be that type of adventure.

The B-Movie thing is a good idea, but they failed at making a good B-movie in KOTCS. Perhaps Indy V should be a hybrid of a 30s serial & 50s B-Movie. A film as such, if done properly, would be absolutely EPIC. (y) :gun:

I think KOTCS is still very much in the tradition of the cliffhanger serials (even if it's emulating the tone of 1950's B movies). Just look at the opening 20 mins in the warehouse and Doomtown - which is very episodic. Wether KOTCS is as successful with its cliffhangers is more open to debate. :)

Indy's brother

Ford: “It’ll happen when it happens. I have strong ambition to do it while I’m still alive. So I'm hoping."

He was very cryptic in the video about the meaning of the words "how soon".

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Ford: ?It?ll happen when it happens. I have strong ambition to do it while I?m still alive. So I'm hoping."

He was very cryptic in the video about the meaning of the words "how soon".

Sounds about as precise as the length of a piece of string. Or the length of one of Indy's bullwhips.

I think it'd be better if he did it while he was living, too. Or else he's going to make a very convincing Forrestal clone.

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
The "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures" encompassed many genres (including science-fiction) so which kind did you have in mind?
DoomsdayFAN said:
Perhaps you're not clear on the definition of the word but what, exactly, do you mean by, "epic"?:confused: All 4 films are already high-budget hybrids so your idea for Indy 5 isn't anything new. You also wrote: "They failed at making a good B-movie in KOTCS." The contradiction in terms here is an eye-roller.:rolleyes:
Montana Smith said:
I think it'd be better if he did it while he was living, too. Or else he's going to make a very convincing Forrestal clone.
2 right Montna tho forestal clone woud b totaly EPIC!!!!

DoomsdayFAN

Stoo said:
The "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures" encompassed many genres (including science-fiction) so which kind did you have in mind?

Action-Adventure/SciFi/Suspense/Drama

Stoo said:
Perhaps you're not clear on the definition of the word but what, exactly, do you mean by, "epic"?:confused: All 4 films are already high-budget hybrids so your idea for Indy 5 isn't anything new. You also wrote: "They failed at making a good B-movie in KOTCS." The contradiction in terms here is an eye-roller.:rolleyes:

I meant it didn't live up to the other three, so perhaps they could do something a little more over-the-top for Indy V in terms of action (hopefully more practical FX and much less CGI) to make up for it.

Ideally, I want a really strong story that's as well thought out and executed as Raiders/LC, while at the same time having the level epic over-the-top action that ToD had. :gun:

I absolutely love 50s pop culture, so I would love for them to visit that era again. I love pop culture films.

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
Action-Adventure/SciFi/Suspense/Drama
All serials have "suspense" but I don't know of any that fit the "drama" genre. What drama cliffhangers are you talking about and which ones could be used as inspiration for Indy 5?:confused:
DoomsdayFAN said:
I meant it didn't live up to the other three, so perhaps they could do something a little more over-the-top for Indy V in terms of action (hopefully more practical FX and much less CGI) to make up for it.

Ideally, I want a really strong story that's as well thought out and executed as Raiders/LC, while at the same time having the level epic over-the-top action that ToD had. :gun:
"A little more over-the-top for Indy V in terms of action"?!?:eek: Anything more over-the-top than the fridge would produce even worse ridicule. From what you write, maybe you mean LESS over-the-top action?

I've noticed in this thread (and in others) that you enjoy using the word, "epic". DoomsdayFAN, do you know what it actually means?:confused:

DoomsdayFAN

Drama can be looked at as Indy's relationship to his father. That was the dramatic element of LC.

Over-the-top action doesnt always have to mean stupid action. Frankly, most of the action scenes in all of the films are over-the-top. It's just that some are less outlandish than others. They should certainly press it in the next film, but without getting too silly. Push it, but don't blow it. ;)

I use the word epic when trying to describe something that's huge, grandiose, amazing, and mind blowing. That's what "epic" means to me. :whip:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"A little more over-the-top for Indy V in terms of action"?!?:eek: Anything more over-the-top than the fridge would produce even worse ridicule.

Please don't offer that kind of challenge to the beards! ;)

DoomsdayFAN said:
The B-Movie thing is a good idea, but they failed at making a good B-movie in KOTCS.

Stoo said:
The contradiction in terms here is an eye-roller.

Doomsday, the contradiction here is that the B movie wasn't a good movie by comparison to non-B movies. To accurately pastiche the B movie genre KOTCS would have to have been intentionally sub-par. KOTCS was inspired by, and intended to be an improvement on 1950s B movies. Just as Raiders was inspired by, and intended to be an improvement on 1930s and 1940s cliffhanger serials.

The problem with regards to Indy 5 is where do the makers turn next? If they follow the 1950s logic, the next one could be inspired by the 1960s Russ Meyer sexploitation flicks. Just imagine Indy being chased by a horde of women complete with bouncing boulders!

Stoo said:
All serials have "suspense" but I don't know of any that fit the "drama" genre.

Amongst my recent reading, there was something about the 'adult drama' serials having died out by the end of the 1920s. And indeed, they were not the kind which inspired Lucas and Spielberg to embark on Raiders.

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
Drama can be looked at as Indy's relationship to his father. That was the dramatic element of LC.
Hello?!? DoomsdayFAN, you were referring to a drama genre of "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures". What "drama" cliffhangers?:confused: (Which serials have you seen that would serve as an inspiration for Indy 5?)
DoomsdayFAN said:
Over-the-top action doesnt always have to mean stupid action. Frankly, most of the action scenes in all of the films are over-the-top. It's just that some are less outlandish than others. They should certainly press it in the next film, but without getting too silly. Push it, but don't blow it. ;)
The fridge and the 3 waterfalls are outlandish & well over-the-top!:eek: Once again, your opinions indicate that you'd rather see LESS over-the-top action in Indy 5, rather than MORE (as you previously stated).
DoomsdayFAN said:
I use the word epic when trying to describe something that's huge, grandiose, amazing, and mind blowing. That's what "epic" means to me. :whip:
Since when did the meaning of "epic" become "amazing & mind-blowing"?:confused::rolleyes: You wrote that, "Indy V should be a hybrid of a 30s serial & 50s B-Movie. A film as such, if done properly, would be absolutely EPIC." For your information, serials and B-movies were neither "huge" nor "grandiose" nor "epic".

Plus, this 'hybrid' you speak of has already been done with each of the 4 Indy films. Sorry, squire, but your idea is really nothing new.:cool:

DoomsdayFAN

Montana Smith said:
Doomsday, the contradiction here is that the B movie wasn't a good movie by comparison to non-B movies. To accurately pastiche the B movie genre KOTCS would have to have been intentionally sub-par. KOTCS was inspired by, and intended to be an improvement on 1950s B movies. Just as Raiders was inspired by, and intended to be an improvement on 1930s and 1940s cliffhanger serials.

The problem with regards to Indy 5 is where do the makers turn next? If they follow the 1950s logic, the next one could be inspired by the 1960s Russ Meyer sexploitation flicks. Just imagine Indy being chased by a horde of women complete with bouncing boulders!

But why can't they make a "30s serial"-esque film, but set in the 60s? I know KOTCS was sorta like that, but why can't they just shoot for another Raiders style adventure. So what if it's not in the 30s.

Stoo said:
Hello?!? DoomsdayFAN, you were referring to a drama genre of "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures". What "drama" cliffhangers? (Which serials have you seen that would serve as an inspiration for Indy 5?)

No I wasn't. I was talking about Drama in terms of having a good dramatic arc (like the father/son relationship in LC). I wasn't talking about a drama cliffhanger. :rolleyes:

stoo said:
The fridge and the 3 waterfalls are outlandish & well over-the-top! Once again, your opinions indicate that you'd rather see LESS over-the-top action in Indy 5, rather than MORE (as you previously stated).

:confused:

Everything in ToD was very over-the-top, but I loved it. It was exciting and epic. I want more of that type of stuff. The really exciting stuff. KOTCS wasn't all that exciting.

stoo said:
Since when did the meaning of "epic" become "amazing & mind-blowing"?

Since I started using it to define such things.

stoo said:
You wrote that, "Indy V should be a hybrid of a 30s serial & 50s B-Movie. A film as such, if done properly, would be absolutely EPIC." For your information, serials and B-movies were neither "huge" nor "grandiose" nor "epic".

So whose to say they couldn't make one as such? Raiders, ToD, LC were all epic adventures.

stoo said:
Plus, this 'hybrid' you speak of has already been done with each of the 4 Indy films. Sorry, squire, but your idea is really nothing new

Never said it was.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

DoomsdayFAN said:
But why can't they make a "30s serial"-esque film, but set in the 60s? I know KOTCS was sorta like that, but why can't they just shoot for another Raiders style adventure. So what if it's not in the 30s.

There's no reason why they couldn't but it was significant that when they reached the '50s Lucas and Spielbery opted to ape '50s B movie trends. I think they like to pick out inspirational details from the decade that the film is set within.

DoomsdayFAN said:
Everything in ToD was very over-the-top, but I loved it. It was exciting and epic. Nothing really in KOTCS was.

So whose to say they couldn't make one as such? Raiders, ToD, LC were all epic adventures.

These are all subjective criticisms, as is your definition of 'epic'.

When referred to films the term 'epic' is often meant as an expression of the grand scale of the project; and storywise to the heroic deeds depicted (as in epic poetry).

KOTCS fulfils the 'grand scale' category as well as the 'heroic deeds' category, though the 'hero' is not always initiating the proceedings.

Stoo

Everything is Epic

DoomsdayFAN said:
No I wasn't. I was talking about Drama in terms of having a good dramatic arc (like the father/son relationship in LC). I wasn't talking about a drama cliffhanger. :rolleyes:
Bullsh*t. Be honest, DoomsdayFAN, you were talking about doing it in the style of '30s cliffhangers...
I asked you which genre...
Among others, you mentioned "Drama" in your reply...
I asked you which "drama serials"...
Your answer was drama in the Indy films!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
DoomsdayFAN said:
Everything in ToD was very over-the-top, but I loved it. It was exciting and epic. I want more of that type of stuff. The really exciting stuff. KOTCS wasn't all that exciting.
"Temple of Doom" was an epic??? Please, look up the word, "epic", in the dictionary and try not to use the word so gratuitously in the future. (The more you use it, the less intelligent you appear.;))

"Crystal Skull" was not an epic and it was much more over-the-top then "Temple of Doom" so if you want a new film to be on the scale of "Doom" action then you want Indy 5 to be LESS over-the-top than Indy 2008.
DoomsdayFAN said:
Since I started using it to define such things.
That's good to know.:rolleyes: (Sarcasm on FULL.)
DoomsdayFAN said:
Again, you don't understand what "epic" means.
DoomsdayFAN said:
Never said it was.
Au contraire. Your ignorance is EPIC.:p

Montana Smith

Stewie, will you be going for an epic win today?

If Spielberg had used another thousand Thuggee and five hundred more British soldiers then TOD might have approached the category of 'Hollywood epic'. ;)

It's hard to make epics today, due the lure of CGI to increase the scale of scenery, or numbers by replication, which can never have the same stunning effect as the sheer numbers of people or animals seen in some of the great old movies. The same goes for stuntwork vs CGI.

It would be wonderful if Indy V shunned CGI and went for all out mass live action, with an aging Indy controlling proceedings as best he can.

DoomsdayFAN

Stoo said:
Bullsh*t. Be honest, DoomsdayFAN, you were talking about doing it in the style of '30s cliffhangers...
I asked you which genre...
Among others, you mentioned "Drama" in your reply...
I asked you which "drama serials"...
Your answer was drama in the Indy films!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're going to sit there and presume to tell me what I meant? :rolleyes: You certainly are an officious poster.

stoo said:
"Temple of Doom" was an epic??? Please, look up the word, "epic", in the dictionary and try not to use the word so gratuitously in the future. (The more you use it, the less intelligent you appear.;))

"Crystal Skull" was not an epic and it was much more over-the-top then "Temple of Doom" so if you want a new film to be on the scale of "Doom" action then you want Indy 5 to be LESS over-the-top than Indy 2008.
That's good to know.:rolleyes: (Sarcasm on FULL.)
Again, you don't understand what "epic" means.
Au contraire. Your ignorance is EPIC.:p

I would like to have an intelligent conversation with you and everyone else, but you're making it very difficult by reading too much into what I'm saying and continuing to go on and on about it; nonsensical. Case in point, you seem to have flipped out over my use of the word "epic," among other things.

Montana Smith said:
It would be wonderful if Indy V shunned CGI and went for all out mass live action, with an aging Indy controlling proceedings as best he can.

I have no problem with the use of CGI when it is used in moderation. It is merely a tool; something to be used to enhance practical FX, not replace them. When you get someone like George Lucas who insists on using CGI for everything, then you've crossed the line. For Indy V, Spielberg needs to hold firm and be adamant about filming as much as possible with practical FX. Then he can bring in CGI to touch-up everything and polish it and put it over the top and make it look perfect. But the level of CGI in KOTCS was way too much. Not to mention the whole film felt cartoony and very unserious. It's like they purposely tried to dumb everything down and soften things up; to make it into more of a kid-friendly adventure. (n) :mad: They need to knock that crap off and go back to being more serious. Don't get me wrong, having light-hearted moments and laughs is good; Raiders, LC, and even ToD had good laughs and moments, but KOTCS (while it had it's own fair share) just went too far with trying to be funny and less serious. When you actively try to be funny instead of just living in the moment and letting things unfold naturally, it doesn't work out so well. I hope things become more earnest and dire in the next film. Perhaps they should really up the scale and make things grim; moreso than ever before. I don't know. It's one of a thousand options. Just as long as they don't give us more of what we got in KOTCS, I'll be good.

Another subject I would like to talk about is the muscial score of KOTCS. Whereas the scores of the first three films were brilliant and inventive, the score for Indy 4 was really weak by comparison. The energy, flash, and pizazz was missing. I hope to get it back in Indy V.

Last edited:

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
You're going to sit there and presume to tell me what I meant? :rolleyes: You certainly are an officious poster.
Only because you are a slippery, evasive poster (of epic proportions).:rolleyes: I was simply reviewing the epic conversation as it happened: When needled about classic serial specifics, your ultimate answer concerned the dramatic elements of "Last Crusade".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
DoomsdayFAN said:
I would like to have an intelligent conversation with you and everyone else, but you're making it very difficult by reading too much into what I'm saying and continuing to go on and on about it; nonsensical. Case in point, you seem to have flipped out over my use of the word "epic," among other things.
It would be nice to have an intelligent conversation with you, as well, but you're playing dodgeball and obviously have no comprehensible grasp on the subjects of which you speak (serials, B-movies). "Nonsensical", as you put it...Not to mention, your use of the word, "epic", is EPIC!:p
DoomsdayFAN said:
But why can't they make a "30s serial"-esque film, but set in the 60s? I know KOTCS was sorta like that,...
Who says they can't/won't? Anyway, you previously wrote that "Skull" WASN'T like that. Epic flip-flop.:rolleyes:
Montana Smith said:
Yes!(y) Have the film span 20 years and use more extras than Ricky Attenborough did for the funeral scene in "Gandhi"! It won't happen but that would be an EPIC welcome.:D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The point about this epic business, DoomsdayFAN, even if I sympathize with your general sense that this has gone on for awhile, is that words have set meanings when used in certain contexts. While it might be all right to loosely use the term to describe, say, an epic pass in football, this bit of verbal manhandling becomes actively destructive once you enter the realm where the epic is an actual term of art to describe an entire genre and approach to filmmaking. It's a little like using "sick" as a slang term at the doctor's office, or "wicked" with a priest.

Now, the Indiana Jones films are certainly working with large budgets and have some rather large-scale setpieces. There are elements within them that are treated in an epic mode to some extent. Fairly uncontroversial examples of such are the scale of the extra-populated Tanis digs, the grandly treated digging for the Ark sequence, and the Ark trek in Raiders; the elephant trek, the Pankot matte paintings, and a few spare pieces of work in the mines in Temple; perhaps the initial appearance of the tank and certainly the approach to the temple at the Canyon of the Crescent Moon in Crusade; and the mushroom cloud in Kingdom.

But there's not much beyond these, even if they themselves stand up as examples. Huge masses of extras aren't a common feature of the films, and they certainly aren't building massive works, going into battle, or revolting in the streets. We don't have a large cast featuring the best that American, British, and world cinema have to offer. We have some beautiful vistas as our characters traverse the landscape, but Spielberg doesn't go too consistently to this well; there are <I>moments</I> wherein he pays homage to the epic filmmakers, most specifically David Lean and to a lesser extent Cecil B DeMille, but these are simply elements, and not of the whole. Perhaps most significantly in the absence of a number of characters who share three or four hours of screentime among them, we don't have a deep, though enigmatic relationship with a central character who holds the reins of history itself in his hands. In his fictional world, Indy's actions have that sort of impact, but that is not what the films dwell upon. They're there to raise the stakes and fill in the story; they aren't there to place Indy among the ranks of Moses and Lawrence of Arabia.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Yes!(y) Have the film span 20 years and use more extras than Ricky Attenborough did for the funeral scene in "Gandhi"! It won't happen but that would be an EPIC welcome.:D

Indy's 20 year struggle to liberate the Ark of the Covenant from Area 51 begins by employing 5,000 lawyers engaged in a 19 year legal battle in the tensest court-room drama ever filmed. Thwarted at the last appeal Indy, now grizzled and looking like Moses, plays his final card: sitting astride a white horse he charges across Groom Lake leading an army of 20,000 Mongolian warriors whose leader he befriended many years before.

In the confusion George Lucas gets the film he always wanted to make: 25,000 aliens break out of captivity. Now it's up to Indy to decide whether to keep going after the Ark, or to save the world instead.

Now, is that epic? :gun:

Or not? :sick:

No need to answer.