Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Indy's brother said:
The latest rumor involves comedian John Hodgeman, who is also the source of the rumor. He said recently on The Best Show:

Hodgeman's own response to the intrigue via twitter:

Which is a shame, really. I personally love the angle. And it's one that works with or without Murray's participation.

A damn shame. Hodgeman is an amazing comedian and is one of the few things about a "new team of Ghostbusters" that's actually got me excited.

And his cameo on BSG was epic.

Indy's brother

Seeing a lot of foreign press on this today

Bad news for fans of " GHOSTBUSTERS , "if confirmed. Apparently, BILL MURRAY would put an end to all negotiations on " Ghostbusters 3 "simply ... tearing up the script. The news comes from the National Enquirer, and for now it is obviously not confirmed, it probably never will be, even if true. It seems that the producers, including DAN AYKROYD and HAROLD RAMIS , were irritated by the fact that Murray did not respond to their calls. The actor has the right to approve the script - by Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg - before joining the project, but it is a condition sine qua non : that is, if he does not approve the script, others will do the film without him . Murray was finally decided to answer his own way to the two former cronies, by sending them a copy of the latest draft of the script to pieces, with a note of disapproval caustic: " Nobody wants to pay to see old overweight chasing ghosts! ". Game over for him, then? It would seem so, because at this point without the other will continue Dr. Venkman . Already this sequel was a bad idea, but without Murray crosses the threshold to become a bad idea. All this, I repeat, is but a voice, but lately it has become clear that Murray is not in tune with teammates on the project, tattered script or not.

Indy's brother

More from Akroyd:

?If we can get the script to Ghostbusters 3 right, then it would definitely have Moranis as a major component. None of us would want to do the movie without having him as a participant.?

Regarding the rumor that Murray sent Akroyd a shredded copy of the GB3 script:

?Bill Murray is not capable of such behavior. This is simply something that would not be in his nature. We have a deep, private personal relationship that transcends business. We communicate frequently and his position on the involvement in Ghostbusters 3 has been made clear and I respect that. But Bill has too much positive estimation of my writing skills to shred the work.?

So no Venkman. Which sucks.

too much time has passed. the 80s revival is losing steam. just be happy that Ghostbusters the Video Game is GB3 (the best apology for GB2 ever!)

Indy's brother

Wow. It seems that Harold Ramis just can't say anything about GB3 without bashing KOTCS, which would make more sense if he wasn't seemingly on board to make another Ghostbusters. I guess he doesn't realize that there's no truly going back with these franchises, and that there will always be dissent. Not to mention hey, I love the first GB. But that's where my affection ends. It wasn't an 80's trilogy with one odd film that people disagree about like Indy had. Ghostbusters was one good movie with one crappy sequel. So far he's only batting 50%.

Edit: and as far as batting 50% goes, I know Spielberg said the same about Indy, but that was after 2 hits. Ramis needs to show a little humility.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Bill Murray may not be out after all...

Bill Murray isn't ruling out doing "Ghostbusters 3" after all.
"You can't believe everything you read," Murray told WGN-TV sports anchor Pat Tomasulo, before offering the briefest of brief updates about the long-gestating movie
When asked by Tomasulo if the project was a possibility, Murray echoed: "Well, it's a possibility." He then shifted into discussion about his actual movies, like "Moonrise Kingdom."

Link

Indy's brother

Bill Murray and David Letterman discuss GB3

DL: What about Ghostbusters 3?

BM: Well, that's all that they wanted to know at Cannes, too. You know, you just gotta have a really good script. It's hard. Even the second ?Ghostbusters' wasn't as much fun for me as the first one. It's hard to make a sequel. It's gotta be really funny, and that first one was just so darn funny...

DL: Well is anyone working on the script?

BM:Well, I think we'll try again. I always drag my feet on it.

The GB3 relevant info begins at about 2 minutes into the video.

Indy's brother

Bill Murray out again, GB3 moves forward

I guess Dan Akroyd is done waiting around, and he sounds confident that this is going to get made.

INT: Is Ghostbusters 3 finally happening?

DA: Yes, we've got a brilliant new writer on it and we'll be passing the torch on to a new generation. We're working on it to make it just right to satisfy our fans. I'm confident we'll be in production in the next year.

INT: It's been a long process, hasn't it?

DA: Yes, but now we've got the studio on side. We've tried a few concepts which weren't right but now we've got a good structure and will make it happen.

INT: Is Bill Murray doing it?

DA: No, I can tell you he won't be involved.

INT: How do you feel about that?

DA: It's sad but we're passing it on to a new generation. Ghostbusters 3 can be a successful movie without Bill. My preference would be to have him involved but at this point he doesn't seem to be coming and we have to move on. It's time to make the third one.

Indy's brother

Bill Murray is in

Here you go, the quote is allegedly from Harold Ramis:

Harold Ramis told SuperOfficialNews.com, “It was kind of crazy. Just out of nowhere, I get a phone call from Bill at almost three in the morning… and he simply said, ‘Yeah, OK, I’m in!’ That’s Bill Murray for you. Surprising and straight to the point.

“Bill also said a major factor in his decision to do the movie had been all the support he received from fans.”

Co-writer Paul Horner divulged, “Word through the grapevine was that Murray enjoyed reading our script that was passed along to him a few months ago.

At least, this is according to the always reliable "National Enquirer". Who's source is a site called superofficialnews.com.

Pass the salt, if you please.

AndyLGR

Reitman out of Ghostbustera 3:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26643855

Ivan Reitman, who made the first two Ghostbusters films, says he will not direct the third instalment following the death of its star Harold Ramis.

Speaking to Deadline Hollywood, Reitman said he made the decision after attending Ramis's funeral last month.

"It was really moving and it made me think about a lot of things," he said.

He will remain on board as a producer, helping Sony to find a new director. The film studio hopes to start shooting Ghostbusters 3 in early

"We now have a draft that is very good, that the studio is very excited about," Reitman said.

Indy's brother

Murray out, Ramis is gone forever, Reitman out, this thing just needs to die. A GB with Ernie Hudson and Dan Akroyd trying for enough swagger to revive this brand while passing the torch is just too big a cup of weak sauce to swallow.

curmudgeon

... aaand it's already being rumored by former-Deadline editor Nikki Finke that Phil Lord and Chris Miller are in line to direct.

Which, judging by comments on other sites, seemed to have been enough to rekindle interest from a lot of people.

(And even though this is in reply to an old post, for future reference: superofficialnews.com is one of those lame Onion-wannabe parody news sites.)

Ugh...this week and seeing fan "wish lists" on casting the future turd that is Ghostbusters 3.

Most Ghostbusters fans dont understand the roots of what makes the original work: people that have a natural rapport from working together during the greatest microcosm of improvisational theatre. Aside from another small boom during the 90s (say, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Tina Fey, era...some whispered about while GB3 was in uber-development hell)) there has not been another to produce the right kind of talent to make a similar Ghostbusters experience. The casting ideas that fans throw out are atrocious. Sure, some might be funny comedians in their own right, but a pick and choose dream team will never be as organically funny or magical (example: SNL).

And to almost negate that point, as much as a great ensemble as the original had, its basically a Bill Murray vehicle...it may not have started out that way, but he made it his own, and he is the main attraction.

Also, Harold Ramis died a few weeks ago. How quickly they forget...or just don't care.

kongisking

Pale Horse said:
Foolish reference, though I know your love of Disney Princess:

No more foolish than any other wise-ass posting of a barely-related jokey video, Pale. It happens all the time on the Internet. I appreciate being singled out, though. I feel special now. :p