Indy 4 Blu-ray DVD

The Man

013922qy3.jpg

"Waist-high water! Nooooo! We're f*cked!"

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Just got my hands on a 720p copy of LC. Here's a few comparison shots with the DVD, DVD shots from TR.n.

108.jpg

vs
01.jpg

242.jpg

vs
02.jpg

346.jpg

vs
03.jpg

The HD pics have been color corrected with Photoshop's Auto Contrast.

Screenshot requests are accepted but computer time is severely limited so new pics only on weekends ATM.

The Man

http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/10/10/d...and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-blu-ray/

The nostalgia that captivated us in the three previous Indiana Jones films is nowhere to be found in this one, much like a treasure that Indy (Harrison Ford) is always digging for in the depths of the earth. This is one treasure that Spielberg, Lucas, or script writer David Koepp can?t conjure up. Wiped clean away from the screen are the action scenes that not only glorified the trilogy, but glorified the entire action genre. The saying ?they sure don?t make them like they used to? has never felt truer. The only consistent things here are the opening vintage Paramount logo and the inspirational20theme music by John Williams ? which suffers because we can?t muster up anything to cheer for.

How is this for a reasonable plot: Indy joins forces with a Marlon Brando/James Dean look-alike named Mutt (Shia LaBeouf) and his mother Marion (Karen Allen) ? who was left behind by Indy after the first film?to find a crystal skull, located in Peru. The skull has magical, mythical powers and ? this being 1957 ? has to be kept away from the Russians instead of the Nazis. The skull possibly holds evidence to the existence of aliens and to the golden city of El Dorado. It?s a plot that meshes National Treasure like stunts with X-Files like aliens. The movie eventually chokes on its many plots, while viewers begin to grasp for dear life. With twenty years between films, this is what two masterminds come up with? Puh-lease. Other than the opening shot of Indiana getting out of a car, set against a gorgeous, desert background, there isn?t a single scene that is worth remembering.

We remember the weird Nazi man who donned an uncanny pair of specs, the bloodthirsty savage who was out for the hearts of his victims?literally?and the blonde femme fatale Nazi who would do anything to obtain the Cup of Life. While Blanchett shows no signs of breaking out of her hypnotic state of dullness, Ford knows what his limitations are in the title role, and doe s what he can with what he?s given. He is less a whip-cracking, globetrotting archeologist than an instructor to Mutt. A door is left open to LaBeouf, who would probably love nothing more than to take the new role as Indiana Jones.

That scares me.

James

How is this for a reasonable plot: Indy joins forces with a spoiled nightclub singer and a kid named Shorty in order to find a rock, located in India. The rock has magical, mythical powers and has to be kept away from the Thuggees instead of the Nazis. The rock is one of five, and if they are all brought together, they'll glow because they have diamonds inside them. The Thuggees plan to use the five rocks to overthrow every major religion, although it's never really explained how they intend to do this. Fortunately for Indy, the British show up with some rifles before the Thuggees find all the rocks.

Some good stuff in that review. :D

We remember the weird Nazi man who donned an uncanny pair of specs, the bloodthirsty savage who was out for the hearts of his victims?literally?and the blonde femme fatale Nazi who would do anything to obtain the Cup of Life.

Although, you probably could've just quoted this passage, because I think it tells us everything we need to know about the author. ;)

Last edited:

nitzsche

The Man:

Why do you persist in trying to eff up every thread, no matter what the topic, with this kind of stuff? Seriously, what are you doing?

As for the DVD, it's fun looking for the stunt actors now, just like in the other films. Ford has a very distinctive run and you can tell immediately when it's not him running.

When everyone is running to the river, it's obviously doubles.

IndyMarion57

Thank you, Jones! :)
You're the best!

WOW! The one of them falling.... you captured that wonderfully!!

I do have a question, I cannot get the one before the "almost kiss" to show up. I've tried refreshing a few times, even copying it to the search bar. Nothing. I sent it to a friend, she also cannot get it to show up.

Thanks!

IndyMarion57

IndyFan89 said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6lWfNuYZg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6lWfNuYZg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OH MY WORD!

This completely ROCKS!
Awesome!

I can't thank you enough for posting this!!
2 Days to go... *screams*

I'm one exicted fan, LOL.

Darth Vile

Major West said:
Can you please stop thread crapping? It's turning into troll behaviour.

To be fair to The Man, he's posting links to/and quotes from KOTCS DVD reviews... So they are valid in terms of the topic. Saying that, there are a lot more positive KOTCS DVD reviews out there than TM's examples would suggest (you little tinker ;) )... For example:

Dbtechno.com ? ?The story itself may have a few things which make you scratch your head, but the end result is another fantastic Indiana Jones film for a whole new generation of fans, and old ones like myself, to enjoy for years to come?.

PPress ? ?George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford took their time -- 19 years to be precise -- but they got it right. The third sequel in the "Indiana Jones" franchise is fast-paced, funny and packed with old-fashioned thrills from start to finish?.

Home Video News - ?This, almost two-decades in coming, sequel to George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford's last outing bringing globe-trotting archaeologist Indiana Jones to the screen is one heck of a lot of fun, and as far as old-fashioned Saturday matinee B-grade high-flying entertainment is concerned this one makes the grade and then some. My happiness began right from the very first frame?.

Comingsoon.net ? ?For me, it was a tremendous thrill to see Indiana Jones back on the big screen again. The moment he appeared with the hat and the whip, I was overjoyed. And fortunately, Harrison Ford still has what it takes to make Indy exciting. He more than handles himself in the fight scenes, but it's the humorous moments that really make him stand out. His interaction with Marion is fantastic and as they alternately bicker and attract each other, Ford is at his finest. They also go out of their way to emphasize Indy's role as a teacher in this movie ? all the way from the classroom to the jungles of South America. I'd say this is Harrison Ford's best performance on the big screen since "The Fugitive" in 1993 simply because his character has so much life in him. Ford seems to have been sleepwalking through many of his recent roles? but not here. Indy fans will be rejoicing along with me?.

Perhaps DVD reviews needs it's own thread?

James

Darth Vile said:
Comingsoon.net – “For me, it was a tremendous thrill to see Indiana Jones back on the big screen again. The moment he appeared with the hat and the whip, I was overjoyed. And fortunately, Harrison Ford still has what it takes to make Indy exciting. He more than handles himself in the fight scenes, but it's the humorous moments that really make him stand out. His interaction with Marion is fantastic and as they alternately bicker and attract each other, Ford is at his finest. They also go out of their way to emphasize Indy's role as a teacher in this movie – all the way from the classroom to the jungles of South America. I'd say this is Harrison Ford's best performance on the big screen since "The Fugitive" in 1993 simply because his character has so much life in him. Ford seems to have been sleepwalking through many of his recent roles… but not here. Indy fans will be rejoicing along with me”.

I think this may be the biggest reason why so many of the negative fanboy rants just fall on deaf ears with me. From the moment Indy defiantly grabs his fedora to the "Not so fast, kid" grin he shoots Mutt at the end, KOTCS is bookended by Ford symbollically reclaiming his most iconic role. And he does so with such energy and obvious enthusiasm, that an entire decade's worth of skepticism and old age jokes are suddenly thrown out the window. This wasn't the usual case of watching an old actor attempting to portray one of his younger roles. Watching Ford's gray-haired Indy you realize, "That is exactly what Indiana Jones would look like and how he would act in 1957!" The Indy sequels may not as been as technically sound- in terms of filmmaking and story- as ROTLA, but Ford's performances certainly became more layered and interesting in them. He delivers another great one here, and I think it's an aspect that will only garner more appreciation with time (such as his TOD and LC portrayals did).

WeAreGoingToDie

Very true to the above post. I have read my share of negative reviews, but it is NEVER mentioned in a negative review that Ford failed at reclaiming the role of Indy. And personally, that is all I wanted and that is what I got (and more). :whip:

lilp1976

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Very true to the above post. I have read my share of negative reviews, but it is NEVER mentioned in a negative review that Ford failed at reclaiming the role of Indy. And personally, that is all I wanted and that is what I got (and more). :whip:

Couldn't agree more!!