Trenches of Hell

Henry Jones served in WWI...

Retired professor works to repair gravestones

LEWISTON -- About 800 gravestones are in various stages of disrepair at Normal Hill Cemetery in downtown Lewiston because of vandalism, age and a century of wind, rain and sun.

Former political science professor Richard Moore is coordinating efforts with his former students to create a nonprofit and raise money to restore the headstones, preserving a piece of the city's history.

Moore says his efforts were prompted after finding the weathered grave of Henry Jones, who commanded a local unit of the National Guard and served during World War I.

Demitasse

Hey all,

I was looking at a review for volume 2 a while ago and the reviewer had this to say about Trenches of Hell:

The first film, Trenches of Hell, is loosely based on the novel Storm of Steel by German officer Ernst Junger covering his experiences on the Western Front. The film spends a great deal of time showing the effects of trench warfare and the seemingly ridiculous lengths the troops were forced to go just to gain a few yards at the expense of thousands of lives.

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone read the novel/memoir and seen the similarities in the episode? If I remember correctly, one of the Somme documentaries from volume 2 is likewise titled Storm of Steel. Either way, it may be something to add to your wishlists along with All Quiet on the Western Front... (a STEEL on DVD for only $8)! (Sorry :eek: )
Have a wonderful weekend!!

Captain D

InexorableTash

Another notable personality that Indy could have run into at the Somme was "Colonel" Percy Fawcett, notable explorer of the Amazon and real life inspiration for Indy.

As we know, there were plans for Indy (and Belloq!) to meet Fawcett in a later YIJC episode that was never filmed.

In the books, their paths cross somewhat later. I haven't read the book, so I'm going to assume it mentions neither an encounter (or lack thereof) in the Somme or the proposed YIJC meeting. Can anyone confirm?

Junior Jones

InexorableTash said:
In the books, their paths cross somewhat later. I haven't read the book, so I'm going to assume it mentions neither an encounter (or lack thereof) in the Somme or the proposed YIJC meeting. Can anyone confirm?

I read the book a few months ago, and as I recall it's conveniently vague. It doesn't mention a previous encounter, but it also doesn't preclude one. They first meet in the book during an escape/rescue attempt so there's no time to introduce/catch-up.

Just watched Paths of Glory and was surprised it was as much a courtroom drama! It was a fine pic and I really loved picking out some of the actors like The Six Million Dollar Man's Oscar Goldman and Blade Runner's Tyrel.

Pvt. Ferol REALLY reminded me of Peter Stormare!

So I guess this makes Trenches of Hell my next screening, ♫ I've got high hopes, high hopes ♪...

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Just watched Paths of Glory and was surprised it was as much a courtroom drama!
"Paths of Glory" is a superb, flawless film and one of my top 10 movies of all time. When you (finally:p) watch, "Trenches of Hell", I'm sure you'll see some similarities in the first half and what's worth noting is that the unproduced Chronicles episode, "Le Havre" was to feature Remy in a court martial with Indy acting in his defense, much like Kirk Douglas did in "Paths".
Rocket Surgeon said:
I really loved picking out some of the actors like The Six Million Dollar Man's Oscar Goldman and Blade Runner's Tyrel.

Pvt. Ferol REALLY reminded me of Peter Stormare!
Oscar Goldman!(y) The actor who plays Tyrell, Joe Turkel, is also the bartender in Kubrick's, "The Shining". Timothy Carey (Private Ferol) was in Kubrick's earlier, "The Killing", and is also in "A Time For Killing" with none other than Harrison Ford!

The beautiful woman at the end soon became Kubrick's wife.:)

P.S. Looking forward to your review, Rocket.

Stoo said:
"Paths of Glory" is a superb, flawless film and one of my top 10 movies of all time.
Liked it much more than I thought I would...
Stoo said:
When you (finally:p) watch, "Trenches of Hell", I'm sure you'll see some similarities in the first half...
It's times like these that I have made it something more. I have greater interest and I still have Indy stories to look forward to. :p

I'd like to see the Old Indy Bookends first, can you point me in the right direction/save me some time?
Stoo said:
...and what's worth noting is that the unproduced Chronicles episode, "Le Havre" was to feature Remy in a court martial with Indy acting in his defense, much like Kirk Douglas did in "Paths".
Sounds like it would have been excellent...
Stoo said:
Oscar Goldman!(y) The actor who plays Tyrell, Joe Turkel, is also the bartender in Kubrick's, "The Shining".
YES! The Shining. The guy has an unforgetable face...
Stoo said:
The beautiful woman at the end soon became Kubrick's wife.
TMC mentioned that...she had "natural talents" indeed.

Let's not forget Pollyanna's Mr. Pendergast!

Last edited:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd like to see the Old Indy Bookends first, can you point me in the right direction/save me some time?
Why would you want to do that?:confused: It'll spoil the endings of each chapter but if you insist: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 4 (Start watching at 2:50. Stop at 4:21 if you don't want to spoil anything.) A couple of the opening shots for the Somme episode were cut from the VHS/DVD version.

One tiny thing you will like in 2nd half of "Trenches" is another baseball reference.;)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Let's not forget Pollyanna's Mr. Pendergast!
Heh, there's also the late & great, George MacReady, who played Mexico's emperor Maximillian in "Vera Cruz".

Junior Jones

Rocket Surgeon said:
Stoo said:
...and what's worth noting is that the unproduced Chronicles episode, "Le Havre" was to feature Remy in a court martial with Indy acting in his defense, much like Kirk Douglas did in "Paths".
Sounds like it would have been excellent...

Maybe not as excellent as the actual episode would have been, but you can read my version of the story here: Le Havre, 1916. I'm not quite satisfied with it and have plans to rewrite it someday. I'll have to watch Paths of Glory for inspiration.

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
"Paths of Glory" is a superb, flawless film and one of my top 10 movies of all time. When you (finally:p) watch, "Trenches of Hell", I'm sure you'll see some similarities in the first half and what's worth noting is that the unproduced Chronicles episode, "Le Havre" was to feature Remy in a court martial with Indy acting in his defense, much like Kirk Douglas did in "Paths".
Oscar Goldman!(y) The actor who plays Tyrell, Joe Turkel, is also the bartender in Kubrick's, "The Shining". Timothy Carey (Private Ferol) was in Kubrick's earlier, "The Killing", and is also in "A Time For Killing" with none other than Harrison Ford!

The beautiful woman at the end soon became Kubrick's wife.:)

P.S. Looking forward to your review, Rocket.

That would have been cool to have an episode inspired by "Paths of Glory" which is one of Stanley Kubrick's underrated works.

Stoo said:
Have you watched the whole episode yet?
I have...

Rocket Surgeon said:
♫ I've got high hopes, high hopes ♪...
...and it does NOT disappoint! I'm amazed there isn't more action on this thread for such a great episode!

I'll get rid of my petty peeves before I get into any love fest.

The hyper animated reactions to being shot got to be a bit much, and of all things NO Wilhelm Scream!(?)

Indy's "nemesis" was a bit more comical than menacing.

Chucky deGaulle calling Bullsh!t on Indy's French would have been masterfull if it was the point where they transitioned from actually speaking French to English, (ala The Hunt for Red October), instead of simply speaking English the whole time...

Re-reading this thread was a treat after the fact too...I had forgotten about the flame throwers and when they lit up it was impressive.

Coming soon: a just review!

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I have...
Mazal tov! Frickin' finally...Woo-hoo for Rocket!(y) Took you long enough.:p Looking forward to your full review.
Rocket Surgeon said:
...and it does NOT disappoint! I'm amazed there isn't more action on this thread for such a great episode!
No kidding. Even this other thread was short-lived: Ep. 8: Somme, Early August 1916
Rocket Surgeon said:
Chucky deGaulle calling Bullsh!t on Indy's French would have been masterfull if it was the point where they transitioned from actually speaking French to English, (ala The Hunt for Red October), instead of simply speaking English the whole time...
Agreed. Foreign languages with subtitles were sporadic throughout the series and this would have been a fitting place from them. (Hope you enjoyed the baseball reference in that part!)

Re: the lack of a "Wilhelm scream". For several reasons, I'm glad it wasn't used (but that's a whole other topic of discussion).:sick:

Re: Indy's "nemesis". I thought he was genuinely despicable. A character you love to hate!

Stoo said:
Mazal tov! Frickin' finally...Woo-hoo for Rocket!(y) Took you long enough.:p
You know, I may not have appreciated it as much if not for Paths of Glory! The similarities were welcome and despite a few digital shimmers the sets were impressive...

I'm more likely to look favorably on some of the more "experimental" episodes if I pace myself. But two years is a long time, I'll concede.
Stoo said:
Looking forward to your full review.
I have to devote a bit of time to it. The episode was excellent, and how great that it rolled into another great war film genre: escape from a prison camp!(y)

Stoo said:
No kidding. Even this other thread was short-lived: Ep. 8: Somme, Early August 1916
Have to jump over there...thanks for the heads up!:hat:

Stoo said:
Hope you enjoyed the baseball reference in that part!
I had to pause, (not too long) to figure it out myself! It was a nice element.

Stoo said:
Re: the lack of a "Wilhelm scream". For several reasons, I'm glad it wasn't used (but that's a whole other topic of discussion).:sick:
I only mention it because someone must have confused "death throes" with "death throws". In that aspect it would have matched the tone...for better or worse.

Stoo said:
Re: Indy's "nemesis". I thought he was genuinely despicable. A character you love to hate!
He had that television quality "red herring" character twist, though his performance might have been dialed down in a few spots...but just a few.

Last edited: