Temple of Doom vinyl record

blueseattle

Over at Dave's Records today, I bought the original Temple of Doom score on vinyl. It sounds great. It even has a little note from Spielberg in it. How cool.

I really think this is the best score out of them all.

aritzert

I have aquired Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vinyl record still sealed in the plastic. Does anyone have any idea if this is worth anything and if so where I should sell it? a record store or some place like ebay?

Stoo

If you are an Indy fan, why would do you want to sell it?:confused:

If you want to sell it, you are not an Indy fan!:p

I picked up a couple of copies under $10 (each) including shipping, but if yours is in mint condition, (plastic seal is easy to have done) you might eek out another $10.

It all depends on who is actively looking for a copy and who might see you listing and be otherwise tempted.

One I bought on eBay, another I found on an oldies website...

A record store/reseller won't get you much, the one I bought had an original sale sticker for $2.99. I'm inclined to say ebay. Who knows?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I picked up a couple of copies under $10 (each) including shipping, but if yours is in mint condition, (plastic seal is easy to have done) you might eek out another $10.

It all depends on who is actively looking for a copy and who might see you listing and be otherwise tempted.

One I bought on eBay, another I found on an oldies website...

A record store/reseller won't get you much, the one I bought had an original sale sticker for $2.99. I'm inclined to say ebay. Who knows?

How did you aquire it?

For me, this type of mass produced Indiana Jones collectable (I'm assuming the polydor (US) issue either single or gatefold with poster) has become freely available via the internet and you shouldn't be paying more than cost price.

However, having said that there are rare foreign editions such as the obi strip editions and promo copies that will demand higher prices.

Henry W Jones

aritzert said:
I have aquired Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vinyl record still sealed in the plastic. Does anyone have any idea if this is worth anything and if so where I should sell it? a record store or some place like ebay?

I gotta agree with Stoo. You don't seem like a huge fan since your first post is about selling your collectable. Why did you buy it? Why are you selling it? Do you have other Indy collectables? What makes/made you a fan of Indiana Jones?

Indy's brother

I'd sell it, guess that's proof that I'm not much of a fan, either. :rolleyes: But seriously, who cares. If that means he's not a good enough fan for you guys, then perhaps selling it to someone who can better appreciate it's incredible worth is the correct thing to do, right? (y)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
I'd sell it, guess that's proof that I'm not much of a fan, either. :rolleyes: But seriously, who cares. If that means he's not a good enough fan for you guys, then perhaps selling it to someone who can better appreciate it's incredible worth is the correct thing to do, right? (y)

I guess you have a handy bid ready?:D

Anyway it's a neat way to circumnavigate the solicitation rule.

So for future reference.

"I have a/an [Insert Item] I was wondering how much it was worth? I certainly can't sell it here however I would apprechiate if you could recommend a place I could.

Please feel free to PM any details that can help."

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
My comments were a facetious poke at a guy who created an account here for the sole purpose of making a quick buck somewhere else. Nothing to do with being a "good enough fan".;)

While I'm no expert on Indy collectibles, I do know about collecting vinyl. Like JJ said, if it's not a foreign import or promo pressing, this record isn't worth much because it's not rare. Mr. Aritzert doesn't give any details so, assuming that he has the standard US single sleeve, a record store would probably pay $2 for a used one. If it's factory sealed, then Rocket's prediction of $15-$20 max. on ebay sounds about right. Anything higher would be a surprise.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make some money but the amount of ca$h he's going to get for this, is peanuts. If Mr. Aritzert truly wishes to put it in the hands of someone who'd appreciate such a thing (as you suggest), then he's come to right place to give it away. That doesn't appear to be the case, though. Instead, he joined from $eeing dollar $ign$ on a common item.

aritzert

I Am An Indy Fan

iI grew up watching Indy tangling with nazis and snakes......Love the movies, but I'm also a guy who works 65-70 hrs a week and up until now hasnt collected anything other than my old John Deere pedal tractor from the 70's (not for sale). I found it at the drop site where I take our garbage.....sitting in a bag with a bunch of WWII diorama models and kits most of which were brand new. I thought it was pretty cool and since it was wrapped and still had the Toys R Us price tag and nobody I know even owns a record player anymore that it might be worth something??!! Is that so unreasonable? Where would a guy try to find out the value of such a thing? Maybe on a site like this with thousands of people who all love the same thing??? Its a pretty cool item....cept I wanna open it and find a record player to listen to it.....Not sure how to tell if its foriegn or not but would be happy to send pics to anyone interested. Thought someone might want it, not trying to get rich....Geeze!

indyclone25

well you can buy from a company called ion that sells record players that you plug into your computer that will transfer the story in to a mp3 format on to your computer which is what i did for my collection of indy and star wars story records. and if you have old cassettes ion has a tape player that connects to the computer too. check out this link to see the different products http://www.ionaudio.com/ hope this helps . :)

aritzert said:
I grew up watching Indy tangling with nazis and snakes......Love the movies
Love to hear more about your Indy fandom.

aritzert said:
but I'm also a guy who works 65-70 hrs a week and up until now hasnt collected anything other than my old John Deere pedal tractor from the 70's (not for sale).
Had one too! Those were great! Sigh...

aritzert said:
I found it at the drop site where I take our garbage.....sitting in a bag with a bunch of WWII diorama models and kits most of which were brand new. I thought it was pretty cool and since it was wrapped and still had the Toys R Us price tag and nobody I know even owns a record player anymore that it might be worth something??!!
See now thats and interesting story...lets see some pictures!

aritzert said:
Is that so unreasonable? Where would a guy try to find out the value of such a thing? Maybe on a site like this with thousands of people who all love the same thing???
Unreasonable, maybe, since you didn't mention any other efforts to find out and a simple google search is just as easy (if not WAY less complicated) than registering for membership here, waiting and checking for authorization...etc, etc, etc.

Its pretty difficult to believe you decided on The Raven as a source when searching for the record itself online would have given you all you needed. So, is it unreasonable, maybe.

Try to see it from our vantage point, there are more than a few people who come here only to sell their stuff or to troll the members with constant barage of harrasing posts...niether of them even try. So another first time poster long time fan who only bothers to advertise was bound to get a lash or two.

Anyway, can't wait to read more about your Indiana Jones influences/experiences/fandom.
aritzert said:
Its a pretty cool item....cept I wanna open it and find a record player to listen to it.....Not sure how to tell if its foriegn or not but would be happy to send pics to anyone interested. Thought someone might want it, not trying to get rich....Geeze!
Whats wrong with you?! This is America! (you're in America right?) We're all trying to get rich!

Anyway, rappers and DJs have kept the turntable (record player) market alive and in some cases evolving so they're not dead yet and for the money records still provide the best audio, (but tech is closing fast) plus its downright cool.

But if you want a few bucks for it let me know...I'm always interested in upgrading my copies.

Stoo

indyclone25 said:
...and if you have old cassettes ion has a tape player that connects to the computer too. check out this link to see the different products http://www.ionaudio.com/ hope this helps . :)
That's just what I need, Mark. (Then I can upload an audio file of the vintage, Siskel & Ebert review of "Raiders"!:D)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Anyway, rappers and DJs have kept the turntable (record player) market alive and in some cases evolving so they're not dead yet and for the money records still provide the best audio, (but tech is closing fast) plus its downright cool.
Amen to that. Turntables never really went away, they just went high-end & expensive. They have come down a lot in price over the past 10 years. A friend of mine just bought a Sony for about $100.
aritzert said:
iI grew up watching Indy tangling with nazis and snakes......Love the movies, but I'm also a guy who works 65-70 hrs a week and up until now hasnt collected anything other than my old John Deere pedal tractor from the 70's (not for sale). I found it at the drop site where I take our garbage.....sitting in a bag with a bunch of WWII diorama models and kits most of which were brand new. I thought it was pretty cool and since it was wrapped and still had the Toys R Us price tag and nobody I know even owns a record player anymore that it might be worth something??!! Is that so unreasonable? Where would a guy try to find out the value of such a thing? Maybe on a site like this with thousands of people who all love the same thing??? Its a pretty cool item....cept I wanna open it and find a record player to listen to it.....Not sure how to tell if its foriegn or not but would be happy to send pics to anyone interested. Thought someone might want it, not trying to get rich....Geeze!
Apologies if I'm coming across as a jerk.:cool:

Since the wrapping has a Toys'R'Us price tag, without a doubt, it's the US Polydor (look for fine print on the back or spine). The album itself is out-of-print but there were so many copies made that it's not rare. Plus, all of that music has since been released on CD so none of the material is rare either.

Your selling point is the fact that it's mint, virgin, unplayed & factory-sealed. If it's the gatefold (opens like a double album), even better, because it should have a poster inside.

So, is it worth anything? Not much. Between $2-$20. (It was worth $0 to the person who threw it in the garbage!:p)

Where should you sell it? Don't sell it...but if you really want to, auction it on ebay (or sell it to Rocket Surgeon).

Good luck.:hat:

Henry W Jones

aritzert said:
iI grew up watching Indy tangling with nazis and snakes......Love the movies, but I'm also a guy who works 65-70 hrs a week and up until now hasn. Icollected anything other than my old John Deere pedal tractor from the 70's (not for sale). I found it at the drop site where I take our garbage.....sitting in a bag with a bunch of WWII diorama models and kits most of which were brand new. I thought it was pretty cool and since it was wrapped and still had the Toys R Us price tag and nobody I know even owns a record player anymore that it might be worth something??!! Is that so unreasonable? Where would a guy try to find out the value of such a thing? Maybe on a site like this with thousands of people who all love the same thing??? Its a pretty cool item....cept I wanna open it and find a record player to listen to it.....Not sure how to tell if its foriegn or not but would be happy to send pics to anyone interested. Thought someone might want it, not trying to get rich....Geeze!

We all are happy to have another Indy fan on board. I did not mean any disrespect. It was just a little suspect that your only post here was selling your Indy stuff. I was more curious as to why you are selling and about your interest in Indiana Jones.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
aritzert said:

Well, at least you came back!! So kudos to you.

Open it. Are you MAD! You'll devalue it zero. Want to make use of it. Warp it into an ashtray.

Anyway, WELCOME TO THE RAVEN!