Tarantino Career Revivals

What is it with Quentin Tarantino that arouses controversy and storm clouds when a new project of his hits the screens? He plucks relatively unknown actors from obscurity, and revives careers of those whose careers have been flagged against the ropes for some time - as their agents have been somewhat lacklustre in managing their clients interests.

Tarantino makes no apologies either for the direction his movies tend to go. Graphic gratuitous sex, violence and potty mouthed dialogue aside - his films have shaped a corner of the market that most other directors would run away from in the opposite direction at breakneck speed, as they would rather play safe continuing duping their target audience who probably have a mental age of a five year old.

But for those of us, who like a drink in a bar where you have to be old enough to actually drink there - and expect the content and conversation to be post water shed - Tarantino manages to quench the rabids appetite for pure unadulterated chaos.

So here I am touting for opinion on whose careers Tarantino should revive for his next outing. And I think it's a safe assumption to suggest Tarantino does not care for marketing merchandise of the toy doll variety. Unless they too have an 18 certificate. And a pair of exploding nunchukka.

For now I'm voting for Kevin Costner.

And who was it who said at least chaos was fair?

kongisking

Maybe his movies get controversy because Tarantino is able to do something considered unthinkable: make shlock into art? And the cynics out there don't want to admit it? Also, he's proof that reusing old tropes and storytelling conventions is not the despicable mark of awful writing everyone says they are.

Just a wild guess...

Spurlock

I would love to see Johnny Depp as a bad ass mother ****er against Ewan Mcgregor as an evil son of a *****.

I really do love his style though, taking time in dialogue to build suspense, not censoring a single drop of blood or profanity. Respect him greatly.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Maybe his movies get controversy because Tarantino is able to do something considered unthinkable: make shlock into art?

For grindhouse and poetry in perfect synthesis, behold the cinematic glory that is Kill Bill.

500x_lucyliu.jpg

Hey Spur, Tarantinos shock jock style never hurt John Travolta's career much. But I was thinking more old school actors. These boys (Depp/MacGregor) are still just out of kindergarten in comparison. And Depp's career has not exactly dried up.

Would like to see what he could do with the likes of Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins and the ilk.

chances are Samuel L Jackson will have a cameo thrown in for good measure. It's standard fayre with a Tarantino movie these days. Them days. Most days.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
For grindhouse and poetry in perfect synthesis, behold the cinematic glory that is Kill Bill.

500x_lucyliu.jpg

internet-high-five.jpeg

Spurlock has it right too. Tarantino is a master at long dialogue scenes that just keep getting more and more nerve-wracking and uncomfortable, until things go to utter hell.

Fun fact: Did you know that DiCaprio really did accidentally split open his hand during the dinner scene in Django, but just kept freakin' acting? :cool:

Pale Horse

Staff member
...and revives careers of those whose careers have been flagged against the ropes for some time - as their agents have been somewhat lacklustre in managing their clients interests.

Besides John Travolta, who else had a career revival from Tarantino?

Chris Penn?
Julia Sweeney?
Robert Forster?
Pam Grier?
Don Johnson?
Jennifer Beals?
Mike Myers?

All major characters in his films, that are still waiting for the success Travolta springboarded into. This argument is wanting.