SPF was an awful Indy :(

emtiem

Jeremiah Jones said:
I mean Historical past, as in something like bridge on the river kwai, lawrence of Arabia, The great Escape etc... not fictional past as in the indy movies..

Well I'm hardly a mind reader. And just because I dislike something in a genre which is badly done (wasn't Young Indy cancelled or something?) doesn't mean I dislike the genre. There are plenty of people on here you don't like Crystal Skull- I take it you think that means they can't cope with watching Raiders?

Jeremiah Jones said:
Never mind, I don;t know why I bother replying to these boards, myself included they're usually dominated by people who simply don't want to have their minds changed..

So you're not including yourself in that? Why is your point of view more important or valid than mine so that you can't have your mind changed?

Jeremiah Jones said:
I completely dissagree with you, so lets just agree to disagree. I tired of defending why I love the show. I love Dr Who too.. Whatever. I'm just giving myself high blood pressure. No More.

Absolutely fine- please don't get worked up about this; it's only a telly show after all.

Stoo

metalinvader said:
A curious question,Blueoakleyz.What episodes did you see?
Hey, blueoaklyz, which ones did you see? You brought this dish to the table and inquiring minds would like to know.
(Did you have blue Oakleys on your BMX, too?:p)

Jeremiah Jones said:
I'm just giving myself high blood pressure.
Easy, Tiger!:D :whip:

vf wing

Brilliantly stated, Junior!

And... I don't get into arguments on message boards. Just not productive in any way. Personally I wouldn't even visit a board if I didn't have something positive to contribute. However...

emtiem said:
So you're not including yourself in that? Why is your point of view more important or valid than mine so that you can't have your mind changed?

Jeremiah Jones said:
Never mind, I don;t know why I bother replying to these boards, myself included they're usually dominated by people who simply don't want to have their minds changed..

Highlighted so you won't need your spectacles :hat:

sandiegojones

Look, I watch history channel a lot and love documentatries, but I still did find Young Indy a bit boring and a lot of that has to do with SPF. I admire the attept to make an educational show whilst giving depth to the character, but I prefer the films as entertainment and would rather watcha real historical documentary vs Young Indy. DOesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it's just my preference.

To each his own!

Crack that whip

emtiem said:
I think Indy can be more than artefacts, but it needs to be based in adventure. Wandering around some European cities wasn't adventure or fun.

There's a hell of a lot more to the show than just "wandering around some European cities," though, and it's full of adventure and fun. It's a very different sort of adventure, to be sure, but adventure nonetheless - and much of it is still even in keeping with the movies. There are chases aplenty, exotic locales, abundant perils...

There are missions across harsh and unforgiving terrain, quests for treasures (of various kinds), romantic pursuits, life-threatening engagements, you name it.

emtiem said:
And it was a bad risk to take. Indy isn't a real person; it's a brand name.

To some of us it's a bit more than a mere "brand name," and this show is a large part of why, at least for me.

When this show began I was already a huge fan of the character - I'd seen all the movies in theaters in their original releases (the most recent of them sixteen times in theaters alone), and again on video, I'd read the comics, gotten the roleplaying game, bought tons of merchandise, you name it. To me, at that point, "Indy" was pretty much as you've described him - a certain style of adventure cinema, perhaps nothing more at its core than escapist popcorn entertainment, but done so well that it transcended the limits of its genre and aspirations. Fine. That was exactly what I wanted, and in all honesty when I first read about what the tone of the show was going to be like, even though I was still excited about it I was a little disappointed at what I thought would be a missed opportunity.

All that changed once I actually began watching. I found a show that extended and built upon the mythos of the movies in a way I thought perfectly complemented the movie characterization, while adding so much more. It was still every bit as engrossing as the movies were to me, but now it also added many layers of interest above and beyond mere visceral thrills. There were incredible sensations of discovery and passion, and alongside the still abundant thrills were things of more substance. There was history and culture and art and philosophy, all presented in ways that made it live and breathe and come alive for someone far removed from it all. And there was also humor and joy, and excitement and thrills. Far from detracting from the mythos, I found the TV show substantially added to and elevated the character. Getting to explore his background and find out how and why he became the way he was in the movies not only proved, for me, engrossing in and of itself, but it even made the movies that much more enjoyable for me - it added layers of nuance and flavor to the character and his world that allow me to continue to discover new things in these movies even upon the nth viewing.

What I initially viewed as something of a "missed opportunity," as I said above, I eventually realized to be full advantage taken of an even greater opportunity. In all honesty, I think this show is the most artistically risky, daring, ambitious and rewarding creative endeavor Lucas has undertaken in decades, and the best thing he's made in at least the last twenty-five years.

emtiem said:
The one moment in the whole thing where they remembered it's Indy and how he's supposed to act. Other than that he has no sense of humour or fun in the whole thing- no sense of his own shortcomings or slapstick sensibilities. Phoenix's Young Indy was more of an impression, and obviously you can't hold that up over the course of a long series, but it showed more of an understanding of Indy's rapport with the audience. Indy is supposed to be entertainment.
And that pirate attack is a terrible sequence- it's simply badly made. Makes me ache to think how much that cost to shoot. Look at something like Doctor Who- costs much less and yet every sequence has a verve and excitement to it. Young Indy is simply badly made; the direction is turgid and the writing has no wit.

See, I just plain disagree with this entirely. It's obvious to me just how "Indy" SPF's Indy is. Frankly, some of your specific observations strike me as not just wrong, but even denying the very things I'd cite in the show's favor - for one, I find Sean Patrick Flanery's Indy, if anything, has even more of a "sense of his own shortcomings or slapstick sensibilities" than Harrison's adult version.

And I also think you're just plain flat-out wrong about it being "badly made." I'd hold this show up as the model of just how technically and artistically proficiently a TV show can be executed. Of course, it doesn't precisely ape the features, for both creative and practical reasons, but instead has its own, well-defined aesthetic style, and for my money it's one of the best-produced and best-directed shows of its era. It has its own photographic style, very different from the movies but quite beautiful in its own right; it has some exciting action sequences that I think would hold up well even against some of Mr. Spielberg's setpieces from the movies (notably including some better aerial action than that seen in any of the movies IMO, as well as a couple great train-based sequences, both of the all-out action and the more suspenseful varieties, plus numerous other great chases and some good fights); it has some production values that are simply astonishing to see in a TV series (mainly in simply shooting so much location stuff on the actual locations, when even the globetrotting, standard-setting Indy feature films routinely use substitutes that are cheaper or easier to work with); it features some of the most memorable, robust and just plain beautiful and best orchestral scoring I've ever heard in any TV series; and it even features a roster of terrific actors who shine in all roles, be they series regulars or one-shots.

emtiem said:
You've rather missed the point- doesn't matter if he's a postman. Say Harry Potter becomes a policeman and 'Old Harry Chronicles' turns into a police procedural drama. Could be a very good police drama for all we know- sod all to do with Harry Potter, though.

Quite right, but the critical flaw with this argument is that it has nothing to do with the actual discussion - Indy's adventures in the TV series are very much connected to those in the films. Here is where he acquires the variety of action and survival skills he needs to get through the scrapes he routinely finds himself in in the movies; here is where he masters the myriad of languages and first encounters the variety of cultures with which he interacts in the movies; here is where he first begins to explore relationships with the opposite sex, and where he first develops some of the characteristics he later exhibits in his interactions with them in the movies; here is where he first begins to explore cultures of the past and develop the interest in archaeology and relics and what knowledge can be gleaned from them, which drives him in the movies.

This show presents a young man who travels all over the planet on various heroic adventures, encountering all sorts of villains and natural perils, romancing various women, fighting enemies, etc. - sound familiar?

emtiem said:
I couldn't tell you- I watched a good number of them when they were shown on the BBC on Sunday afternoons ten years ago or so and they all merged into one dull, lifeless mess; despite being set in lots of different places and times, which tells you how badly they handled it.

Actually, it tells me you just don't see it the way I do. Granted, my own personal reaction isn't unimpeachable proof of the show's quality any more than your personal reaction is of its poorness, but if nothing else I think it's likelier that you're overlooking or failing to notice strengths that are there in the series than it is that I'm imagining ones that aren't, and at any rate I have no more reason to accord your opinion more weight than mine, particularly since I probably have watched more of it than you, and more recently.

Not that it really matters, of course. If you don't like the show, you don't like the show, and I fully know my telling you I think it's great isn't going to change your own opinion, particularly since you've made it clear both that you have indeed watched more than enough of it to form a strong, honest opinion with something substantive to base it on, and that you've since held this opinion for many years. All I can really say in response (speaking as an Indy fan of more than a quarter of a century, who loved the movies already before the show, loved the show even more, and loved the movies all the more because of the show) is that I couldn't disagree more.

emtiem

See, it all looks good on paper saying there's train and car chases and what have you, just as the trailers make it look like a fun packed show, but whenever I tried to watch it those moments were few and far between and very badly staged. Ever noticed how many times the trailers use that shot of him swinging on a vine in Peacock's Eye? Because that's the only time something vaguely exciting or Indy-ish happens and it's over in the blink of an eye.
And to compare the action to Spielberg... no. Just no. But more than that the whole tone is competely off, it never felt like Indy to me. I'm glad you enjoy it, I really am, but to me it's a huge miscalculation of the brand. It just doesn't deliver on what that logo promises.

emtiem

vf wing said:
Brilliantly stated, Junior!

And... I don't get into arguments on message boards. Just not productive in any way. Personally I wouldn't even visit a board if I didn't have something positive to contribute. However...

Highlighted so you won't need your spectacles :hat:

Sorry, yes- was skimming and obviously missed that.

Emtiem just to say your reaction to my last message is evidence enought that it didn't read as I'd intended it too. I was simply saying I was sick of defending my opinions on this board. I've done this alot, cos I love this show so much, and it always ends up the same way, nobody wins, nobodies mind is changed.

I was simply saying I disagree with you, I respect your opinion, though I certainly don't share it. I never once stated that you weren't entitled to your own opinion, of course you are, but so am I.

Which is why I declared, more to myself, that I'd had enough of such 'debates' We obviously see things fairly differently, and while the stubborn part of me wants to sit you down and show you the series again, to try to change your mind...

Also, stop taking offense Please... when I clarified what I'd meant by historical fiction I was clarifying my own post, not pointing out some deficiency on your part, perhaps if I'd reacted to the sarky comment my bad phrasing had inspired.. maybe then your hostile attitude would have made sense.. but seriously. All I'm saying is I'm through arguing with you, not cos I think you're stupid, not cos I think my opinion is the ONLY opinion, but because I'm sick of getting into conversations with people who try to make me hate a show that means so much to me.. its really not a productive use of my time.. I should really just go and learn some ancient greek or something.

Oh and great super long post Crack that whip.. my feelings plucked outta my head and digitised. Nice

Crack that whip

emtiem said:
See, it all looks good on paper saying there's train and car chases and what have you, just as the trailers make it look like a fun packed show, but whenever I tried to watch it those moments were few and far between and very badly staged. Ever noticed how many times the trailers use that shot of him swinging on a vine in Peacock's Eye? Because that's the only time something vaguely exciting or Indy-ish happens and it's over in the blink of an eye.
And to compare the action to Spielberg... no. Just no. But more than that the whole tone is competely off, it never felt like Indy to me. I'm glad you enjoy it, I really am, but to me it's a huge miscalculation of the brand. It just doesn't deliver on what that logo promises.

I didn't and don't judge the show based on its trailers. I saw many many many "Indy-ish" things throughout the series (I can remember specific moments in specific episodes I'd watch with friends, in fact, and how "Indy-esque" they felt even then, and I'm not talking about your example from Peacock's Eye). I've already made a point of stating the tone is different from the movies, and indeed it is by design, which does not invalidate it as Indy, any more than the differences in tone between, say, the original Star Trek TV series and the movies invalidates the movies as "true Trek"; do note I wasn't comparing the action's style to Spielberg's, only its general excitement level, polish, fun factor, etc. And regarding the logo, note the show didn't even use the classic logo in its original form, only in its "The Adventures of..." reconfiguration (and then only on the packaging) - I'm quite certain, in fact, the significantly different logo for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was in fact chosen specifically to communicate the difference in tone between the movies and the show, so I'm afraid I don't know how the logo could have promised you anything. Finally, I'm a bit mystified over how you keep returning to this concept of Indy as a "brand," as though it were mere consumer product and not an expressive, creative endeavor, but if that's really how you envision it then perhaps your feelings about the show make a bit more sense, in sort of the same way a consumer might feel jilted by some soft drink manufacturer when it screws around with the formula of whatever sugared water he's been drinking for fifteen years.

As indicated earlier, I don't expect to change your mind, but I do hope you'll understand if I don't expect you to change mine, either (nor would I want you to!).

Twilightpro101

Darth Vile said:
I think the series was really good. What it lacked in actual excitement, it made up for in production values, imagination and some fine character development.

When the series first came out on video, my father (a history teacher), actually used episodes to initiate debate in his classes around WWI, the Russian revolution etc. etc.

Also, I thought SPF was just fine as a young Indy.

Felt the same and it really added a nice additional layer to Indy, that the films didn't cover.

emtiem

Crack that whip said:
And regarding the logo, note the show didn't even use the classic logo in its original form, only in its "The Adventures of..." reconfiguration (and then only on the packaging) - I'm quite certain, in fact, the significantly different logo for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was in fact chosen specifically to communicate the difference in tone between the movies and the show, so I'm afraid I don't know how the logo could have promised you anything.

It said 'Indiana Jones'; it was very, very similar to the original Indy logo; how could it not promise to deliver 'Indiana Jones'?

Crack that whip said:
Finally, I'm a bit mystified over how you keep returning to this concept of Indy as a "brand," as though it were mere consumer product and not an expressive, creative endeavor

If it's got a logo at all it's sort of gone beyond just being a 'creative endeavor'. Let's not pretend that with all the merchandising, comics, toys and books that Indiana Jones isn't a brand. And just like a sign above a shop, that name promises a higher quality of entertainment and a quite different set of goals than Young Indy aims for or delivers.
But don't get hung up on the logo; that's just an example I used of the corrupting of the name Indy; Crystal Skull may have been a bit weak but it was still Indiana Jones: Young Indy just wasn't.

Not sure how you can say the logos are similar... But..

Again this argument, and again all the Young Indy fans are just gonna automatically argue their point, i.e. We Do Not Agree With You.
The 'debate' will subside for a couple of months, and then someone else will start it up again.. can we just move on people and agree to disagree?

It isn't a debate anyway, its simply an I Love Chocolate debate... its like:
"I Love Chocolate"
"Well you're wrong cos I hate Chocolate"
"Well you cannot be more wrong cos Chocolate is Great, cos I love Chocolate"
"What are you talking about? Chocolate is so crap, otherwise, I wouldn't hate Chocolate"
"What??? How can you hate Chocolate? Have you tried Chocolate? I bet you haven't tried Chocolate?"
"Course I've tried Chocolate, and I HATE it!!"
"What?! You can't try and hate Chocolate! Thats impossible! Chocolate is great!!"

And so on and so on into the mists of infinity. I think everybody understands the arguments, they just don't agree.

vf wing

I think in relation to this particular argument, emtiem expected the show to more closely resemble the movies and deliver the same kind of thrill ride. Lucas had very different goals for the show. Different format, different medium, different goals. His goal IMO was to expand what could be done with Indiana Jones, not just tread over the same ground. Some fans will appreciate that, others won't.

I recently completed my first screening of the entire show (31 flippin' dvds!!), and can definitely recommend it enthusiastically. It could become my new MASH (ie re-watched ad infinitum), although I won't claim its a better show. Yet, it does succeed in similar ways. What I found most engaging in general was the comedy and the educational aspects. I never expected it to deliver the same kind of slam bang adventure the films are known for, although such elements did show thru in spurts.

Emtiem, you've defined for yourself what the brand Indiana Jones means for you, and that's all well and good. Indy's creator and owner might have a somewhat different definition of what the character/brand can mean, and, well, his definition trumps that of everyone here. You've chosen to not to accept certain elements and others of us have. Simple as that, really.

Indy~Annie

Best Young Indy Ever!!!

He rocked my socks.

simple,sweet and to the point if you ask me.:p

my sister doesnt even care much for Indy,but she loved SPF and his Indy movies!

Indy's Fist

I always felt SPF was good in the part, but not great. He dosen't look much like Harrison, he has a "sad" look to his face, he always looks like he's about to cry.

Now that I've seen all the episodes of YIJ I have to say that it was at many times too slow. They seemed to try too hard to have Indy interact with moments and characters from history. I also felt to many of the morals were too "in the audiance's face."

In the end however the good aspects far outweigh the bad and it was a really good show.

aJakeinthePlane

I felt that the show could have had more adventure but SPF's portrayal of a naive Indy in pressing situations gives explanation for the adult Indy's hard exterior, not to mention a source for the humanity that the adult character often shows.

Morning Bell

I thought SPF did a fairly good job in the role. Obviously no one will be able to match Harrison and thus he had a lot to live up to. The show itself was hit-or-miss but I think the SPF episodes are many of the better ones and that was about the time that I felt the series really hit its stride.

HovitosKing

SPF was an awesome Indy. If the show's writing was sometimes sub-par, this didn't affect my opinion of SPF or of young Indy as played by him. This is final.

IndyAJA77

I really liked Sean as young Indy. As I watch them now on dvd, I find that I still enjoy them as much as an adult as I did when I was a kid. I wasn't as keen on Cory as the young, young Indy, but I thought Sean did a fine job. I also wasn't much of a River Phoenix fan, if I had been, perhaps i would have felt differently about Sean's taking the role over for the tv series. But, as it was I watched (and recorded) every episode when it came on.