Does anyone here have an actual 1917 Smith & Wesson?

Dr Bones

Sadly in the UK if you are in possesion of a bright pink plastic water pistol, you are liable have the armed response unit training their guns on you.

Would love an old Indy style but the law says no!

Montana Smith

No I don't "have an actual 1917 Smith & Wesson."

And because of the UK gun laws I'm not likely to:

Dr Bones said:
Sadly in the UK if you are in possesion of a bright pink plastic water pistol, you are liable have the armed response unit training their guns on you.

Would love an old Indy style but the law says no!

But today I got a little step closer to something.

Picked up a blank firing replica of a S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum hand ejector with 4" barrel. It was made in Japan by MCG. Don't know how old it is, but it has some nice wear on it. It's heavy (31 ounces compared to the 36 of the real thing - the loss likely accounted for by the plastic grips, which could do with wood replacements).

DSCN3867.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

£20 was just too tempting this morning.

The 1917 Stembridge from ROTLA:

RotLA-SW1917stembridge4inchbarrel.jpg

Was going to ask for pic, but lo and behold! Nice pickup. Good luck with your neighbor!

Montana Smith said:
Picked up a blank firing replica of a S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum hand ejector with 4" barrel. It was made in Japan by MCG. Don't know how old it is, but it has some nice wear on it. It's heavy (31 ounces compared to the 36 of the real thing - the loss likely accounted for by the plastic grips, which could do with wood replacements).
DSCN3869.jpg

The 1917 Stembridge from ROTLA:

RotLA-SW1917stembridge4inchbarrel.jpg

China Jim

1917 S&w

Go to Guns America.com type in Smith and Wesson 1917 model revolver have a few but they are pricey and they are shoot-able.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Was going to ask for pic, but lo and behold! Nice pickup. Good luck with your neighbor!

The 'gun' collection grows. It's hard to find more recent models here as by law you can't import even replicas if they are of a post-1870 design (so that would include the 1873 Colt .45 variations I have).

Finding heavyweight airsoft replicas of an MP5 and the Walther P99 from Brosnan's Bond era apparently left me with no hope of finding something remotely Indy-like. (And when I say heavyweight, I mean that I accidentally released the P99 magazine onto my bare foot and thought I'd broken some toes!)

Will ask my neighbour if he's still available for carving wooden grips.

China Jim said:
Go to Guns America.com type in Smith and Wesson 1917 model revolver have a few but they are pricey and they are shoot-able.

Unfortunately it would be illegal to import to the UK. It's even illegal to buy a a post 1870 deactivated firearm within the UK, unless you can provide evidence that you require it for film, theatre, museum or demonstration purposes.

Dig Site 1138

Lao Che Pun said:
Is that a 5 1/2 inch barrel?

Also, would you mind if I asked you how much you paid for it? I've seen some prices for new ones around $1100.....I wondered if I could pick up a used for less?

I've not yet seen one for less than $900:gun:

China Jim

1917 S&w

Once you log onto the guns America web site, join it then you can message the sellers of the weapons and see if you can barter them down to a more reasonable price. When I see my Mk 6s 4s as well as the S&W Victory's as carried in TOD for around 600 to 700 dollars then it may be possible to get them at those prices. But I would recommend for Gods sake make sure they have test fired the revolvers before you buy it some Mark 6s for example have been converted and then explodes due to weakened metal in the cylinder and locking area while the 1917 are chambered to fire the .45 acp round modern quality rather than the pr and early 20th century load I am specifically speaking of the composition make up of the propellant so check on this as well.
regards
China Jim

alotofmaryskid

Am I reading correctly....maybe I've been asleep....it is illegal to OWN a revolver in the UK? I don't mean carry, I mean OWN....citizens can't purchase new firearms in the UK?

Montana Smith

alotofmaryskid said:
Am I reading correctly....maybe I've been asleep....it is illegal to OWN a revolver in the UK? I don't mean carry, I mean OWN....citizens can't purchase new firearms in the UK?

It is illegal to own an activated revolver or pistol in the UK. You can own a deactivated one (providing you have the certificate of deactivation) as long as you can prove that you are using it for film, theatre, museum, gallery, or for re-enactment purposes.

The Violent Crime Act also doesn't like realistic imitations of post 1870 guns, so their importation is banned unless it's for the reasons as with deactivated firearms - they would prefer that a handgun was bright orange.

I heard that even our Olympic pistol shooting team have to train abroad, since handgun clubs were banned in the UK.

Indy's brother

Well that's a downer for those who reside in the UK. How else are you supposed to keep the king of England out of your face, and then hold up a liquor store to celebrate afterwards? I mean, that's the way we do it here. :p

I know that there is no current king, I'm speaking historically from the american perpective.