Sit on my hat?

Oceliane

I remember seeing a documentary explaining that, in order to make the fedora looking worn and having experienced many adventures, the crew of ROTLA has been invited to sit on the hat, one by one.

I'm more and more thinking about investing into a fedora, and I'm wondering how much they are resisting to heavy conditions, such as:
- being crushed, such as sitting, walking on...
- Rain
- dirt
In other words, all theses accidents happening during an archeologist' life...

Also, what can be done to repair the damage and keep it as long as possible? How would a hat evolve in the time when used on a regular basis, sometimes for a daily use?

fenris

My Akubra Fed IV has been crushed multiple times (by accident and by my 1yr old daughter), soaked in a downpour and has sometimes fallen to the ground.

So far, so good. Considering that the hat was purchased 2nd-hand.

Hats can be reblocked (some can, some cannot) if it loses it's shape or tapers. Cleaning is easy. Just use a hat brush to dust it off.

Henry W Jones

Oceliane said:
I remember seeing a documentary explaining that, in order to make the fedora looking worn and having experienced many adventures, the crew of ROTLA has been invited to sit on the hat, one by one.

I'm more and more thinking about investing into a fedora, and I'm wondering how much they are resisting to heavy conditions, such as:
- being crushed, such as sitting, walking on...
- Rain
- dirt
In other words, all theses accidents happening during an archeologist' life...

Also, what can be done to repair the damage and keep it as long as possible? How would a hat evolve in the time when used on a regular basis, sometimes for a daily use?

I'm not sure about all fedora's but there is a licensed Indiana Jones hat that looks fairly movie correct other than the Indiana Jones pin in the band. I've seen one of those get wet and the dye bled out of it. Made a huge mess and the hat looked like trash after. I would look into a hat from a hat shop, talk to them about weather Vs Fedora and stay away from the one I described. Here's a link to to a pic of the one I was talking about.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...564&tbm=isch0,52&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1024&bih=564

Also while looking for pic I noticed there might be different fedoras with Indiana Jones pins as I described.

Last edited:

fenris

I recommend these hats:

Budget Hats:
Christy's Adventurer
Akubra Federation IV

High-end:
Adventurebilt Henry (this is the production hat, not hand-made)

Hand-Made:
Peters Bros
Penman Hats
Adventurebilt

The "official" Indy hats don't look anything like the hat Indy wore. When I was a newbie, I thought they were spot on. But when I got more into the hobby, I saw that they really don't look like Indy's hat. The shape is all wrong. The ribbon is wrong.

Ironclaw

When I was a newbie, I thought they were spot on. But when I got more into the hobby, I saw that they really don't look like Indy's hat.

Same with me. I would also recommend adding Todd's costumes hat to the list of "Budget Hats". The Uptowner they used to have is pretty much my personal end-all; I don't really want to plunk down $300+ for the higher end ones when the Uptowner was half of that and suits me fine.

They only have the Downtowner (Raiders) style now, but apparently they're working on an Uptowner replacement.

Oceliane

Hmmm... thanks for the help. I do admit, the only hat I own is a wool felt one, and the vendor told me to avoid placing it on a radiator when he is wet, otherwise he could shrink. Is it also the case for other materials?

The only hat I have is not an Indy hat. When I went to disneyland in order to purchase an official Indy hat... I ran away of the store in terror. The "deluxe" hat they sell in theses theme parks are just... toys. Wearing either this hat or goofy ears are exactly the same, they are theme parks merchandising, not real hats for an everyday use.

fenris

Oceliane said:
the vendor told me to avoid placing it on a radiator when he is wet, otherwise he could shrink. Is it also the case for other materials?

Yes. Even with fur felt hats, wetness and heat are and will always be a hat's worst enemies.