Hellboy

pellman

TheMutt92 said:
Plus, I don't think any of the companies behind Indy or Hellboy are connected... so perhaps there are legal reasons why this didn't happen?

Nah. They just didn't think of it. Or if they did, they just didn't like the idea.

pellman

Montana Smith said:
On a serious note, though, the comic versions of Indy got pretty wild, especially the Marvel 'Further Adventures' - I can see him teaming up with the Ron Perlman version of Hellboy, and all the time, when they're not falling through holes in the ground, they'd be trying to out-quip each other. ;)

An actual film crossover would be a lot of fun, I think.

Montana Smith

pellman said:
An actual film crossover would be a lot of fun, I think.

Okay, then, here's the plot:

Pre-title sequence: Indy and Mutt investigate an ancient subterranean temple and discover Alien eggs. Mutt gets face-hugged.

Rest of movie: Mutt gives birth to a chest-burster carrying Jones genes, so the Alien will be particularly hard to kill!

Indy quips, "Aliens. I've seen these guys before."

A Predator comes to earth to hunt earth's toughest prey: Hellboy.

Indy and Hellboy team up to defeat both Alien and Predator.

We'll have to fit in an homage to the flying fridge somewhere, though!

That's a film I wouldn't mind seeing. :D

Lance Quazar

If Indy existed in the Hellboy universe, there's no way Professor Bruttenholm would have been picked to run the BPRD. It would have been Indy all the way!!!

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
Del Toro took too many liberties with Mignola's Hellboy as it was. For example, in the comics Abe had no psychic abilities or any need of a breathing aparatus in air; Hellboy had cloven hooves and no need for boots; Hellboy and Liz weren't an item; Hellboy and Abe weren't secret creatures who had to be drvien round in a refuse truck.

In most cases, I think the alterations Del Toro made were improvements over the (often spare) source material. For the most part, the changes gave the characters more resonance - Being hidden from the world gave Hellboy a sense of isolation which made the character more sympathetic. Hellboy's love of Liz was the emotional core of the story. Etc.

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
Montana, I'd like to buy that story from for $4500.

We could makes big moneys I tells ya!

LOL! Was that $4500 or $45.00? ;)

Lance Quazar said:
If Indy existed in the Hellboy universe, there's no way Professor Bruttenholm would have been picked to run the BPRD. It would have been Indy all the way!!!

That would be interesting, except that Indy is a perpetual skeptic, regardless of how many odd things he witnesses! Best to have him as a field agent, as 'Broom' was after he quit the directorship in 1958. 'Broom' didn't like being trapped in administration, same as Indy likes to get out of the classroom once in a while (or as frequently as possible!)

Lance Quazar said:
In most cases, I think the alterations Del Toro made were improvements over the (often spare) source material. For the most part, the changes gave the characters more resonance - Being hidden from the world gave Hellboy a sense of isolation which made the character more sympathetic. Hellboy's love of Liz was the emotional core of the story. Etc.

I think Del Toro was faced with the problem of presenting a character that a lot of people hadn't previously encountered. He had to condense the characters and their relationships, and also put Hellboy and Abe back into the shadows, otherwise he might be drawn into explaining how the world accepts these strange beings.

Hellboy and Liz always feel themselves outsiders: Hellboy because he's trapped in a demonic body that scares people off (which is why he files down the horns), whilst at heart he's very human in character; Liz because she's tormented by her tragic past (her uncontrolled fires that killed 32 people including her family). Bringing Hellboy and Liz closer together for the film does go some way to expressing 'the emotional core', as you write.

I think Del Toro did the best he could in bringing about a live-action Hellboy movie. And Indy would fit better into Del Toro's vision, than he would into Mignola's.

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
LOL! Was that $4500 or $45.00? ;)

That would be interesting, except that Indy is a perpetual skeptic, regardless of how many odd things he witnesses! Best to have him as a field agent, as 'Broom' was after he quit the directorship in 1958. 'Broom' didn't like being trapped in administration, same as Indy likes to get out of the classroom once in a while (or as frequently as possible!)

I don't think Indy is a "perpetual skeptic", as you point out. Yes, even in the time of "last crusade", Indy expresses some healthy skepticism about the existence of the Grail even after having witnessed demonstrably supernatural events in ToD and RotLA.

However - and I am loath to use KotCS to support ANY argument...but, as much as I hated 99% of that film, there is one very good line where Indy says "Oh, I believe. That's why I'm standing over here," or some such thing.

In a world where the supernatural actually does exist and after you've experienced it several times, being too skeptical just comes across as being foolish.

I think Del Toro was faced with the problem of presenting a character that a lot of people hadn't previously encountered. He had to condense the characters and their relationships, and also put Hellboy and Abe back into the shadows, otherwise he might be drawn into explaining how the world accepts these strange beings.

Hellboy and Liz always feel themselves outsiders: Hellboy because he's trapped in a demonic body that scares people off (which is why he files down the horns), whilst at heart he's very human in character; Liz because she's tormented by her tragic past (her uncontrolled fires that killed 32 people including her family). Bringing Hellboy and Liz closer together for the film does go some way to expressing 'the emotional core', as you write.

Though I do enjoy the Hellboy comics, I really think Del Toro did a lot to humanize the characters, which are pretty one-note in the early HB comics. A more literal translation would have been quite flat from a dramatic stand point.

(though part of me wishes Del Toro went further and ditched the maddeningly opaque "Ogru Jahad" as the macguffin/baddies in HB1 for something more accessible.)

I think Del Toro did the best he could in bringing about a live-action Hellboy movie. And Indy would fit better into Del Toro's vision, than he would into Mignola's.

I agree! The HB movie universe isn't quite as vast and outlandish as the comic-verse. Though HB2 definitely brought it several steps in that direction.

I actually prefer some of the BPRD titles, as Hellboy (in the comics) isn't a particularly compelling character for me. I've especially enjoyed "1946" and am in the middle of "1947".

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
I don't think Indy is a "perpetual skeptic", as you point out. Yes, even in the time of "last crusade", Indy expresses some healthy skepticism about the existence of the Grail even after having witnessed demonstrably supernatural events in ToD and RotLA.

In a world where the supernatural actually does exist and after you've experienced it several times, being too skeptical just comes across as being foolish.

Indy appears skeptical about each new event - the Ark, the Grail, for example - like he's applying his scientific archaeological training, rather than accepting mythology. I think this is a device to create wonder in the eyes of the audience through Indy's eyes. The same thing happns in Del Toro's Hellboy, as the public is unaware of the strange creatures existing alongside them, so that when they do appear, it comes as a shock to them. If the supernatural is common place and everywhere, it no longer bvecomes supernatural, but purely a natural occurence.

The Hellboy comics and novels are different to the movie. A lot of the story-telling in the comic version is through Mignola's understated, almost simplistic, artwork - the dark, brooding shadows that can express the loneliness of the characters. Whiolst Del Toro produced a very action-oriented story, a lot of the comic stories are dreamlike fairytales - something that would have turned Del Toro's Hellboy into an art movie instead of a blockbuster. I like both visions, as I really do buy into the sympathic nature of Hellboy as a character, and of Abe, who's really a gentle, thoughtful creature. Hellboy disguises his own concerns behind his stern visage, and is often not looking for a fight, but when a fight does find him, his rage boils over!

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
Indy appears skeptical about each new event - the Ark, the Grail, for example - like he's applying his scientific archaeological training, rather than accepting mythology. I think this is a device to create wonder in the eyes of the audience through Indy's eyes. The same thing happns in Del Toro's Hellboy, as the public is unaware of the strange creatures existing alongside them, so that when they do appear, it comes as a shock to them. If the supernatural is common place and everywhere, it no longer bvecomes supernatural, but purely a natural occurence.

Oh, I concur. As a dramatic device, those skeptical elements are essential. Del Toro created the character of Agent Myers specifically to be the eyes of the audience during the introduction to Hellboy's world in the first film.

The transparency of that device became even more apparent when the character was unceremoniously tossed out for the second film.

And Indy's skepticism has the same function - creates a sense of wonder, uncertainty and discovery for the character as well as the audience once the magical is finally revealed.

However, since Indy is the same character in a film series, it becomes a little redundant when he has virtually the same arc in the first three films.

Now, as a good academic, even after experiencing the power of the Ark, Indy certainly isn't going to take every bit of "mythology at face value", but I'm glad at least that he was more open to the possibilities in KotCS after, presumably, a lifetime marked by brushes with the supernatural.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Oh, I concur. As a dramatic device, those skeptical elements are essential. Del Toro created the character of Agent Myers specifically to be the eyes of the audience during the introduction to Hellboy's world in the first film.

The transparency of that device became even more apparent when the character was unceremoniously tossed out for the second film.

Hellboy 'outs' himself in Golden Army, which was cool, bringing himself into the public eye, getting closer to the comic.

Lance Quazar said:
And Indy's skepticism has the same function - creates a sense of wonder, uncertainty and discovery for the character as well as the audience once the magical is finally revealed.

However, since Indy is the same character in a film series, it becomes a little redundant when he has virtually the same arc in the first three films.

Now, as a good academic, even after experiencing the power of the Ark, Indy certainly isn't going to take every bit of "mythology at face value", but I'm glad at least that he was more open to the possibilities in KotCS after, presumably, a lifetime marked by brushes with the supernatural.

Yes, after 45 years of 'reclaiming' artifacts and encountering paranormal events, Indy is finally trusting his intuition, rather than following the scientific, empirical route to discovery! He was brought in to examine the Roswell alien in 1947, so he had already seen evidence to support his acceptance of the possibilities in KOTCS. So, it appears that Indy is already a government advisor on supernatural occurences - and a perfect candidate for the BPRD... :)

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
Yes, after 45 years of 'reclaiming' artifacts and encountering paranormal events, Indy is finally trusting his intuition, rather than following the scientific, empirical route to discovery! He was brought in to examine the Roswell alien in 1947, so he had already seen evidence to support his acceptance of the possibilities in KOTCS. So, it appears that Indy is already a government advisor on supernatural occurences - and a perfect candidate for the BPRD... :)

But the BPRD was founded by Roosevelt during the war. By that time, Indy had already been hired by the government to find the Ark. Even if he did no other government jobs, that still would have put him at the top of the list, even ahead of Professor Broom, who was simply a youthful academic at that point.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
But the BPRD was founded by Roosevelt during the war. By that time, Indy had already been hired by the government to find the Ark. Even if he did no other government jobs, that still would have put him at the top of the list, even ahead of Professor Broom, who was simply a youthful academic at that point.

But we wouldn't want to see him stuck behind a desk at the BPRD, though. That wouldn't be much fun. Even Broom wanted to get back into the field, and as Indy said, you've got to get out of the classroom. Broom was a paranormal investigator, whereas Indy was an archaeologist who happened to discover the paranormal.

Here's a brief history of how the BPRD came to be, as it appears in Mignola's comics:

The British Paranormal Society (BPS) was founded in 1877 by a group of Oxford researchers. As of 1944 Professor Trevor Bruttenholm (born 1910), Lady Cynthia Eden-Jones, and Dr. Malcolm Frost were the three leading members. (An Oxford connection for Henry Jones Sr. and Marcus Brody?)

Late in 1944 one of the leading members of the the BPS sensed something dark building, and their investigations determined that the Nazis were planning an occult ritual intended to turn the tide of the war. Their attempts to convince the Allied Forces met with skepticism, until an American special agent came forward with corroborating evidence.

The ritual's centre was in East Bromwich, north of Birmingham, England. Backed up by a platoon of US Army Rangers, Bruttenholm, Lady Eden-Jones and Dr. Frost set up camp in a ruined church outside of East Bromwich. Bruttenholm had spent almost a decade investigating this site, and its terrible past that locals would not speak of.

The Nazi ritual , however, took place not at the church but in an ancient stone circle on Tarmagant Island, off the Scottish coast. BPRD agents didn't learn of this Project Ragna Rok until 1948, but the effects were immediately apparent. A demon-child materialized in flames at East Bromwich, not on Tarmagant. He was promptly called 'Hellboy'.

Bruttenholm immediately began lobbying for the creation of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense. With dozens of witnesses, and Hellboy himself as evidence, the Allied powers quickly agreed. Funded by the US and the UK, the BPRD came into formal existence in 1945, after the war had ended. It was first set up at an Army Air Force base in New Mexico, close to those who were working on the atomic bomb. Bruttenholm was its first director, but gave up the administrative post in 1958 to return to investigating.

Montana Smith

Official B.P.R.D. Training Camp (AKA, Hellboy Camp)

Edgy Camp This camp is part of Trackers's Edgy Camp Curriculum where we explore challenging and complex concepts and understandings, all with a focus on fun and adventure. Please weigh well if this program is a good fit for your family. We also offer more mainstream programs.

Join the B.P.R.D! The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense needs your help to defend humanity against various occult horrors and paranormal threats.

Recruitment and Training

Find out if you have what it takes to join an elite team of paranormal investigators combating the forces of darkness from all across the globe. We immerse you in tactical training of all forms, including survival skills in any environment (both earthly and non), martial arts and self-defense specific to praeternatural entities, hand to hand weaponry (we train foam swords, bows and more) and forensic investigation. All these key skills that every agent must have, plus you are steeped in the history of our Bureau and legacy of paranormal research.

Call to Action

Recruits get actual field time during the entire camp. Learning is hands-on with essential survival skills such as shelter building, stealth and tactical and martial arts training.

Younger Recruits

Ages 9-10 Younger recruits train survival and field skills in local greenspaces. They also spend their day investigating the haunted history of our city, piecing together the larger mystery revolving around the legend of Adolph Aschoff.

Older Recruits

Ages 11-13 & 14-17 Older recruits join us at Camp Trackers near Sandy, Oregon for a Monday to Friday overnight. At Camp Trackers we investigate reports of dark figures and strange happenings at the remnants of the old defunct town of Marmot. Here they search for legendary and lost pioneer cemetery (true story) to ask local spectres and spirits about the town's history and the legend of Adolph Aschoff, the man who is said to have sealed away an ancient evil upon the founding of the town.

Trackers is proud to partner with Dark Horse Comics to offer the officially licensed B.P.R.D. and Hellboy camps.

This camp is made possible through the generous permission of the creator of B.P.R.D. and Hellboy, Mike Mignola.

B.P.R.D. Training Camp includes

? tactical training
? survival in any environment
? martial arts and self-defense specific to praeternatural entities
? hand to hand weaponry (foam swords, bows and more)
? investigation and forensics
? folklore & mythology
? potion and charms 101
? telepathy training
? gadgets of the occult: EMF detectors, polarized lenses and other paranormal investigative gear
? comparative analogy and physiology of monsters
? construct your own quality foam swords and training weapons
? meet the artists of the comic book that documents the adventures of the B.P.R.D.
? Bureau history and paranormal research

Please Note The following is a work of fantastical fiction based on local historical events. Thus becoming legend.

Our first case it tied directly into historical lore and legend. Recruits cut their teeth in searching for a lost cemetery and solving a mystery over a century old.

The Legend of Adolph Aschoff

Born in 1849, Adolph Aschoff grew up learning how to hunt and track from a poacher in Hanover, before the German Empire ever came to be. His first brush with the supernatural was when he came upon a village burnt to the ground by what locals claimed to be demonic forces. This piqued his curiosity, leading to a lifelong study of the occult.

When Prussian soldiers invaded, Aschoff realized their interest in the town was more than a military land grab. The soldiers were part of a secret order within the military called the Order Nem-ett Ethem, which according to Professor J.H. O'Donnell worship one of the sleeping Ogdru Hem. Aschoff believed that the Prussians were there to wake a sleeping god who lay beneath the town. In fact, their target in Hannover was a tablet in the ground marking one of four points spread across the western hemisphere. The Order of Nem-Ett Athem sought to unearth and activate each point in order to raise the Ogdru Hem that they revered, whose location they did not know.

Forced to flee through the swamp, Aschoff failed to stop the Prussians in Hanover, but managed to steal one of three ancient compasses the Order used to pinpoint the position of the tablets. On the annual Fall equinox, the compass locks onto an azimuth (direction) of each tablet. The first equinox he traveled far and wide to triangulate the four locations. Aschoff discovered a ritual that would seal the tablets, preventing the Order Nem-Ett Ethem from releasing their god. Since maps were relatively inaccurate in 1866, Aschoff couldn't nail down the location with much precision, so he would have to return to a general area over the course of a few years in order to try to pinpoint the site of the tablet. His travels took him to the Far East, South America, and the American Midwest. While he was pursuing this quest, the Prussians were busy doing the same, and with their two compasses were better able to track the tablets down. Twice Aschoff pinpointed a location too late, only to find the tablet removed.

The remaining point was somewhere in the Pacific Northwest of the continental United States. Aschoff made his way there, knowing it was the final location, and set up permanent home outside of Portland, Oregon. Over the course of a few years, he located the tablet beneath a small way station along the Devil's Backbone portion of the Oregon Trail.

Aschoff was thwarted in his attempt to seal the tablet by local spirits known as the Aplas. These demonic spirits prey upon both humans and animals, rendering their victims undead slaves, leaving them as mindless zombies when they're done with them. The Aplas were under the direction of the Order Nem-ett Ethem, who were still trying to pinpoint the tablet's location.

Aschoff was saved from the Alpas by another local legend: a great hairy beast, and one of the most famous bits of folklore of the Northwest. Ashcoff had been exploring the area's forests for years by this time, and had been aided more than once by this "Bigfoot," who he found to be very useful as a temporary ally in any situation.

As the Sasquatch held the Alpas at bay, Aschoff lay his seal over the site of the tablet, preventing the Order Nem-ett Ethem from opening the final point and freeing the Odrgu Hem. He founded the town of Marmot in order to maintain and guard what had become his life's work. He and his wife Dora raised a family there and worked a toll portion of the Barlow Trail. Aschoff and his wife and the other early settlers of Marmot were buried in a pioneer cemetery that was long ago reclaimed by the land.

Recently, strange goings on have been reported around the site of the Trackers Summer Camp, on the old site of the town of Marmot. The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense have been called upon to find the hidden cemetery, and to solicit the true history of the town from these spectral informants. Agents will conduct research at the Historical Society of Sandy, Oregon, along with good ol' fashion tracking and forensics, looking for the grave site itself.

From there Agents will get the true story of Aschoff, seek out the compass he stole from the Order Nem-Ett Ethem, and finally unearth the tablet Aschoff sealed in the earth. Agents will learn that there is a flaw in the seal, and realize that only they can repair it before the Ogdru Hem is raised through the efforts of his returning minions. In our camp recruits must uncover the clues about how to reseal the breach once and for all.

http://trackerspdx.com/youth/summer-camp/day/hellboy-camp.php