Why Did They Not Use This Poster?!?!?

Agent Z

Indy's Fist said:
Makes me wonder if another Indy movie is made if Drew will come out of retirement to make more Indy posters.

It just wouldn't feel right without him, huh? :(

I have a feeling that Drew would do something like that though, for something of that nature. Just for very special projects. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

so wah mu

Too much to 'ink' Dr. jones?

Indy's Fist said:
Makes me wonder if another Indy movie is made if Drew will come out of retirement to make more Indy posters.

Err..no. According to an e mail I sent to Drew (like he's my best friend and on 1st name basis terms) I raised a few questions about the media of the artwork. wasn't trying to criticise him but ( and if it was preceived as such, I hope it would be constructively) the art looked liked it had been touched up with CGI.

If it was he who responded may i just tell you the response was incredibly brief...

(i.e) "I'm retired. After Indy 4 , no Indy 5..........."

So don't hold the front page, but translate that as you will (?)

I found the link via Google

info@drewstruzan.com

...and then there was this kiddy...

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18179/1/IN-DEFENSE-OF-THE-FLOATING-HEAD-POSTER-ARTIST/Page1.html

Crack that whip

Indy's Fist said:
I wonder why studios went away from these wonderfully painted posters in favor of the photoshop crap-posters of late? Also, anyone remeber those awsome Bob Peak posters from the first six Star Trek movies?

Absolutely! Bob Peak is another of my favorites; sadly, he died several years ago. Incidentally though, his son, Matthew Peak, is also a professional illustrator (and seems to have inherited some of his father's style), and did the album cover artwork for all four volumes of soundtrack music for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles released by Varèse Sarabande back when the show was on.

Bob Peak had done Star Trek work prior to the movies - he did a couple of gorgeous pieces based upon the original TV series, for a couple of cover articles in TV Guide about the show (one in the '60s, I think, when the show was originally on, and one in the '70s, I believe, for an article about the show's increasing popularity in syndicated reruns and the rise of the Trek fan phenomenon). When the first movie was in the works, Trek creator Gene Roddenberry remembered those beautiful TV Guide covers and decreed Bob Peak should be the one to do the movie poster. And the rest is history...

Bob Peak also did gorgeous artwork for the posters for Excalibur, Superman, Apocalypse Now, and a couple of the '70s-era James Bond movies, among many others.

________________________​

I, too, wish original illustration for movie posters would come back into style, but alas, the studios view it these days as "old-fashioned." Bleah.

indyclone25

here's another poster on drew struzans website that says 'unused '

gl0810011540498403.jpg

wolfgang

indyclone25 said:
here's another poster on drew struzans website that says 'unused '

gl0810011540498403.jpg

Haha! That one made me laugh, but I really like it. Anyway, I think the reason they did not use the poster of him being about to whip something is because...HE HARDLY USES HIS WHIP ON THE MOVIEEE!!!!! Oh well....not that that would stop me from loving the movie, but I would ask for just ONE more use of the whip....oh well.

Dr.Jonesy

wolfgang said:
Haha! That one made me laugh, but I really like it. Anyway, I think the reason they did not use the poster of him being about to whip something is because...HE HARDLY USES HIS WHIP ON THE MOVIEEE!!!!! Oh well....not that that would stop me from loving the movie, but I would ask for just ONE more use of the whip....oh well.

Indy only used it twice about 4 times in ROTLA, 3 times in TOD, and 2 times in LC not counting young Indy.

KOTCS= Warehouse to whip onto lamp
Remove gun from Russian
Have Mac grab on to in the end

So, he uses it the same amount in LC and one time more if you don't count young Indy.

But nobody complains about LC's lack of whip usage.

Double Standard.

wolfgang

Dr.Jonesy said:
Indy only used it twice about 4 times in ROTLA, 3 times in TOD, and 2 times in LC not counting young Indy.

KOTCS= Warehouse to whip onto lamp
Remove gun from Russian
Have Mac grab on to in the end

So, he uses it the same amount in LC and one time more if you don't count young Indy.

But nobody complains about LC's lack of whip usage.

Double Standard.

No no! I totally agree! But he uses it three times throughout the film! Plus, all those three times I love the way it is used. One gave him the scar (Yes, I'm counting the young Indy one), the other was to swing, and the other to save his dad. The way he uses it in KoCS is awesome! But it happens too fast and that's it.
But I totally agree he should have use it more on LC. And actually, he uses his whip 5 times in ToD. The guy that tries to kill him, to swing for the Stones, to swing from a lamp, to defend himself against the Swordsmen before the bridge, and to kiss Willie at the end, not to mention, Indy gets whipped by his own whip by Pat Roach, which doesn't really count, but its great, cause Indy gets a bit of his own medicine.

Yeah, yes, I know. Sometimes I care much more about these movies than I should.

wolfgang

And now that you got me into thinking about it, he uses it quite much more on Raiders. At the beginning to save his life, to swing in the Idol Temple, to save Marion from Toht, to attack the spies in Cairo, to go up the Egyptian statue on the Ark Chamber, and if it counts, to get behind the truck. Those are six times right there.....wow....Okay, I'll go get a life now.

Crack that whip

As it happens, the subject of the total amount of whip usage in the movies (and the fact it decreases with each successive movie) has come up at least a couple times before. On the second page of that second thread, I posted my tally of all the instances of whip usage in the movies and TV show:

He uses the whip in Raiders of the Lost Ark:
  • to disarm Barranca
  • to brush off tarantulas
  • to swing across the pit
  • to take the poker away from Toht
  • to fight off the hired thugs in Cairo
  • to climb the statue in the Well of Souls
  • to drag himself under and behind the truck and pull himself back to it
  • to tie himself to the periscope

... in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:
  • to fight / choke / hang the Thuggee assassin in his room
  • to swing from the elephant statue across the chasm in the Thuggee temple
  • to swing from the light fixture from one catwalk to another in the mines
  • to fight and disarm the Thuggees by the cliff
  • to pull Willie back to himself for a kiss
(additionally, when Indy is captured, the giant Thuggee whips Indy with it)

... in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
  • to stave off the lion and get pulled up to the train car roof by "Fedora" (arguably two uses, arguably one)
  • to swing outside the castle wall over to Henry, Sr.'s room
  • to grab Henry, Sr. to keep the tank track from pulling him over the front of the tank

... in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (or The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones):
  • to disarm and fight Demetrios

... and in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
  • to pull the gun away from the Russian soldier
  • to swing from the light fixture in the warehouse
  • to try to pull Mac to safety

tambourineman

With the exception of Indy swinging outside the castle wall, I prefer every instance of the whip being used in Skull than in Crusade.

Dark Horse

That's funny seeing all the whip scenes presented like that. I would have put money down that Indy used the whip more in TLC than KotCS.

I do agree that the whip scenes in KotCS were very cool, I just think they seem less because they happen right at the beginning, then right at the end.
Maybe Indy should have whipped a few Cemetery warriors lol.

wolfgang

Dark Horse said:
That's funny seeing all the whip scenes presented like that. I would have put money down that Indy used the whip more in TLC than KotCS.

I do agree that the whip scenes in KotCS were very cool, I just think they seem less because they happen right at the beginning, then right at the end.
Maybe Indy should have whipped a few Cemetery warriors lol.

I completely agree.

Mickiana

I don't think it makes a caricature of himself, but it's not very exciting. It doesn't look bad, there's just not much happening in the whole thing. It actually makes him look fit and defiant or at least determined. I found that the only scenes in KotCS where he looked obviously fit and tanned was when he was being interviewed by the Federal agents after the nuke/fridge scene. His white t-shirt showed off his physique well, especially the muscularity of his forearms. This poster would have created expectations of how he looked that would not really have been met. When we see him in area 51, he definitely looks his age. The unused poster looks like a fit 45ish bloke.

Crack that whip

so wah mu said:
Agent Z said:
Indy's Fist said:
Morning Bell said:
Indy's Fist said:
I wonder why studios went away from these wonderfully painted posters in favor of the photoshop crap-posters of late? Also, anyone remeber those awsome Bob Peak posters from the first six Star Trek movies?

I agree. There's something about the old-style hand-drawn posters that looks better than anything that's out today. Struzan always does great work and I was glad to see him come back for KOTCS.

It just wouldn't feel right without him, huh? :(

I have a feeling that Drew would do something like that though, for something of that nature. Just for very special projects. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Err..no. According to an e mail I sent to Drew (like he's my best friend and on 1st name basis terms) I raised a few questions about the media of the artwork. wasn't trying to criticise him but ( and if it was preceived as such, I hope it would be constructively) the art looked liked it had been touched up with CGI.

If it was he who responded may i just tell you the response was incredibly brief...

(i.e) "I'm retired. After Indy 4 , no Indy 5..........."

So don't hold the front page, but translate that as you will (?)

I found the link via Google

info@drewstruzan.com

...and then there was this kiddy...

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18179/1/IN-DEFENSE-OF-THE-FLOATING-HEAD-POSTER-ARTIST/Page1.html

And also...

Crack that whip said:
Indy's Fist said:

Absolutely! Bob Peak is another of my favorites; sadly, he died several years ago. Incidentally though, his son, Matthew Peak, is also a professional illustrator (and seems to have inherited some of his father's style), and did the album cover artwork for all four volumes of soundtrack music for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles released by Varèse Sarabande back when the show was on.

Bob Peak had done Star Trek work prior to the movies - he did a couple of gorgeous pieces based upon the original TV series, for a couple of cover articles in TV Guide about the show (one in the '60s, I think, when the show was originally on, and one in the '70s, I believe, for an article about the show's increasing popularity in syndicated reruns and the rise of the Trek fan phenomenon). When the first movie was in the works, Trek creator Gene Roddenberry remembered those beautiful TV Guide covers and decreed Bob Peak should be the one to do the movie poster. And the rest is history...

Bob Peak also did gorgeous artwork for the posters for Excalibur, Superman, Apocalypse Now, and a couple of the '70s-era James Bond movies, among many others.

________________________​

I, too, wish original illustration for movie posters would come back into style, but alas, the studios view it these days as "old-fashioned." Bleah.

So... on the off chance a fifth Indy movie does get made, who should do the poster? Presumably Drew Struzan will stick to his retirement as he's stated he intends to; what other illustrators currently working can do justice to the legacy he, Richard Amsel and Bruce Wolfe (among others) established? Richard Amsel is sadly no longer with us, and Bruce Wolfe doesn't seem to do a lot of movie poster illustration these days (actually, I don't know what he's ever done aside from the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom style "A," I'm embarrassed to admit).

I'm really inclined to go with the person I mentioned already, Matthew Peak - his work really does show his late father's influence (a good thing, in my book, given how beautiful his/their work is), and he's already worked on the franchise (for those aforementioned Young Indy soundtrack album covers). Any other candidates, anyone?