Indiana Jones - Better in Black & White?!

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
Mainly, you notice smoke and lighting; just how great the lighting in every one of these films really shows in a desaturated palette. Jungle scenes (Raiders, Kingdom) especially have lovely lighting with the sun-beams going in between the trees. Also, any issue with special effects in TOD, TLC, KOTCS is almost non-existent due to the fact that since it has no color, everything looks a bit more unified.
Thanks for elaborating, Jonesy. I can imagine that the effects shots would look better without colour. Will have to try watching them this way. You've inspired me!:) One sequence that could probably work well in b/w would be the Raven bar shootout in "Raiders" because of its (relatively) high-key lighting.
goodeknight said:
Maybe so, but Hitchcock seemed to do an okay job with it.
True. For shock value, it would be interesting to compare a colourized version of "Psycho" with the original.
goodeknight said:
I watched Star Wars with all the squiggly lines sent out to non-subscribers. That was in the days before even VCRs or Beta machines. Since you couldn't rent or buy it, we'd do anything to catch a glimpse of the Star Wars universe. Listened to it like a radio show.
Sometimes the scrambling of the signal would be very weak so the image had no squiggly lines and delivered a perfect negative. Imagine seeing "Raiders" that way...
WilliamBoyd8 said:
One can turn off the sound on the television and simulate a 1926 film experience.
Ha! Nice one, Mr. Boyd. Add some live piano music to enhance the experience!:D

Dr.Jonesy

Stoo said:
Thanks for elaborating, Jonesy. I can imagine that the effects shots would look better without colour. Will have to try watching them this way. You've inspired me!:) One sequence that could probably work well in b/w would be the Raven bar shootout in "Raiders" because of its (relatively) high-key lighting.

That is the exact scene that was on my TV in black and white when I wrote/posted this! See? You know what I'm talking about!

:hat:

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
True. For shock value, it would be interesting to compare a colourized version of "Psycho" with the original.

Better yet, Lucas and Spielberg could make their own "directors cut" with all new digital special effects. They could add lots more blood, show the knife coming right at you in 3D, put Jar Jar in the shower, too, and maybe replace Tony Perkins with a digital Jabba the Hutt.

Orellana

I think that it would ruin some scenes, like dark temple scenes, and the ToD caverns would be a total mess. Color to those type of scenes give vital contrast so it's easier to tell whats what.

AndyLGR

I would love to see the Indy movies in black and white, the era they are set in and the type of films they are lend themselves to bring presented in b&w I think.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
...but to answer the question posed "Indiana Jones better in black and white?" the answer is a resounding "No".

Everything is better in absolutes, my friend. Everything.

Forbidden Eye

With that Steven Soderbergh video going around, figured this thread was worth a bump. Must say I find it pretty cool/amusing such a big name director is wondering and experimenting the very same thing that a mere forum member here at TheRaven tried two years prior. Goes to show there are only so many ideas/perspectives a person can have in the this world.

AndyLGR

The article I read from him this morning was very interesting about showing it in black and white and how shots were arranged, I don't know about anyone else but the soundtrack he added to it is just distracting and I couldn't watch it.