Anyone else hate the main theme tune?

Phlip

I may be being blasphemous here, but I've always found it so cringeworthy. Maybe because it's just so iconic an gets played in varying ways throughout all of the films.

Dr. Gonzo

Well I can't speak for everyone, but from me...

You are very much alone on that.
Sure the music is iconic...
but there's a reason it's so iconic.

It's a damn fine piece of music... in my opinion anyway.

Interesting thought though. Does anyone else out there hate the theme?:confused:

Montana Smith

How could anyone not like this?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BGACNGSepqE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, well maybe. How about this one?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ImPGu0VO_g?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forbidden Eye

That's like...saying you're a proud American but hate the American flag.

(seeing you're from England, replace America with any nation, the same analogy)

Montana Smith

Or better still, a proud American who hates their national anthem.

For a Brit, however, that's an easy analogy, since our national anthem is a dirge.

Mickiana

In a bid to understand you, Phlip, you say you have "always found it so cringeworthy", so I presume that means from the first time you heard it to the last time you heard it. But then you say, because it is iconic it "gets played in varying ways throughout all of the films". So, does that mean if it was played minimally and without variation that you would like it? If your answer to that is yes, it is still in contradiction to your first statement of always having found it cringeworthy. Can you clear this up? Do you not like it at all? I mean, do you not see any merit in it at all? It doesn't strike a chord in you? It doesn't cheer you up? Spielberg said he went nuts when heard it from John Williams and when JW said he had two themes produced and didn't know which to use, SS said to use both! So... "cringeworthy"???!!! :confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Or better still, a proud American who hates their national anthem.

For a Brit, however, that's an easy analogy, since our national anthem is a dirge.

That's common enough on this side of the pond as well.

At any rate, I'm a fan of the theme, but <I>do</I> favor its more muted use in Last Crusade as opposed to in the prior two films.

Phlip

Mickiana said:
In a bid to understand you, Phlip, you say you have "always found it so cringeworthy", so I presume that means from the first time you heard it to the last time you heard it. But then you say, because it is iconic it "gets played in varying ways throughout all of the films". So, does that mean if it was played minimally and without variation that you would like it? If your answer to that is yes, it is still in contradiction to your first statement of always having found it cringeworthy. Can you clear this up? Do you not like it at all? I mean, do you not see any merit in it at all? It doesn't strike a chord in you? It doesn't cheer you up? Spielberg said he went nuts when heard it from John Williams and when JW said he had two themes produced and didn't know which to use, SS said to use both! So... "cringeworthy"???!!! :confused:
There's only one variation I liked; when Indy, Shorty and Willie were falling in the raft from the plane.

I suppose I can see why people like it, it's just a bit too happy happy for my liking. :p Maybe a bit babyish and patronising, even?