Solo: A Star Wars Story

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lambonius said:
I think people in general are starting to get franchise fatigue with Star Wars at this point. Disney has over-milked the cow, and now people are bored with the taste of the milk.

Really...no one is going to bite on this blue milk reference?

Joe Brody

Blue milk doesn't go well with toast.

giphy.gif

Speaking of toast, Solo is sandwiched between some strong competition and I think Solo will be toast at the box office. In the weeks prior Avengers Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2 are released. In the weeks after, you have Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. Something has got to give and a weak trailer like this one is not going to pack them in. I can tell you now, short of stellar reviews, the Joe Brody Family will be skipping on this one.

When it is all said and done, I think the final reckoning will be that Kathleen Kennedy took a good thing and drove it into the ground.

(someone please help with the format)

Fixed, JB....pale horse

Last edited by a moderator:

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Blue milk doesn't go well with toast.

giphy.gif

Speaking of toast, Solo is sandwiched between some strong competition and I think Solo will be toast at the box office. In the weeks prior Avengers Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2 are released. In the weeks after, you have Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. Something has got to give and a weak trailer like this one is not going to pack them in. I can tell you now, short of stellar reviews, the Joe Brody Family will be skipping on this one.

When it is all said and done, I think the final reckoning will be that Kathleen Kennedy took a good thing and drove it into the ground.

(someone please help with the format)

Fixed, JB....pale horse

That?s one smoking post JB...

I actually like the way this one looks. With that being said, we live an an age where a movies legacy no longer matters, it?s imeadtae box office, video games, and steaming 8mpact are all that matters. Disney smart to squeeze every dime off of audiences now because 5 or 10 years might be to late. Hell we might ever go to a movie in 10 years. I see no upside to them taking their foot off the gas. Also, if the SW can survive Eli 1,2, and 3 it can survive anything.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Joe Brody said:
Saw the trailer and think that between Last Jedi and Solo, the franchise is in real trouble. Young Lando looks very cool though, and I have great respect for Woody Harrelson.
I loved the Last Jedi as did most fans over at the force.net message boards! the loud minority did not like TLJ but most did like it! Its going to be 6th and 8th on all time and Domestic and Worldwide box office that aint to shabby not everything can drag in Avatar and Titanic money. Again everyone over at the force.net message boards loves the solo Trailer including me! Its a Western and It has a space Kraken what's not to like! :gun:

oh and Lawrence Kasdan and his son wrote the script. IMHO Empire Strikes Back and Raiders Of The Lost Ark are the two best films in the History of Hollywood Lawrence Kasdan wrote both Empire and Raiders scripts the man Is a god for that alone! and I loved TFA Kasdan co wrote TFA!

Last edited:

Joe Brody

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
[Last Jedi is] going to be 6th and 8th on all time and Domestic and Worldwide box office that aint to shabby not everything can drag in Avatar and Titanic money.

You have to look behind the numbers. Did you see this article in the Wall Street Journal? Disney got a 4 week premium buy from theaters. That won't happen again because the last two weeks of the Last Jedi run sucked and left the Theatre owners holding the bag (which likely offset much of their concession revenue for the film). Now the theatre owners won't be fooled again and Solo has all that competition.

Excerpt from the Wall Street Journal Article:
With blockbuster grosses expected for “The Last Jedi,” Disney was able to demand theaters play the movie for a minimum of four weeks, an unusually long period. That hasn’t been a problem for large multiplexes, but strained single-screen cinemas like Rodney Miller’s Elder Theatre of Jackson Center, Ohio, population 1,400, where screenings were nearly empty later in the run.

“The first week was good, the second week was pretty decent, and the third and fourth weeks were disasters,” he said.

The new film’s take on Star Wars mythology, in ways a rebuke to the nostalgia pervasive in “The Force Awakens,” alienated some hard-core fans who criticized “The Last Jedi” online and didn’t return for multiple viewings as they have for prior installments.

Mr. Hollis said the box office take for “The Last Jedi” was more front-loaded than he had expected and said the days that holidays fell on the calendar and strong competition from other films, particularly “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” may have impacted its January gross.

Overseas, “The Last Jedi” has grossed close to $700 million, about $180 million more than “Rogue One” but $430 million less than “The Force Awakens.”

The biggest chunk of that shortfall came from China, where “The Last Jedi” has grossed a weak $41 million, just one-third as much as “The Force Awakens” and 41% less than “Rogue One.” Despite aggressive promotional campaigns including pop songs and Stormtroopers on the Great Wall, moviegoers in the world’s most populous nation have proved less interested in Luke, Leia and lightsabers.

Also toy revenue is way down.

Star Wars toy sales during the 2017 holidays were the lowest since Disney relaunched the brand in 2015, according to NPD Group.

Again, I think final verdict on Kennedy's reign won't be good. She trusted a safe talent (J.J. Abrams) who as it turns out was tapped out creatively and then she handed the keys to Rian Johnson who tore the whole thing up and now (shudder) we've actually Ron-Richie-Cunningham-Howard making Solo. I may be wrong but disaster lurks. I'm just glad that one gem -- Rogue One -- came our of the whole debacle.

roundshort

Star Wars toy sales during the 2017 holidays were the lowest since Disney relaunched the brand in 2015, according to NPD Group.

I hear they are going to fix this by introducing a line of Star-Themed AR-15s that will be a "hit" with older teens.... too soon?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Charles Barkley as Lando?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kFSm6gany_Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A minor actor reports from the shoot and reshoots:
?It?s exactly the same script. They?re filming exactly the same things. There?s nothing new. [Lord and Miller] used whole sets. But Ron is just using parts from those sets. I guess they?re not shooting wide angle. Maybe to save money.?

Finn

Staff member
Well, that was slightly more inspiring. Not much, but enough for me to perhaps bother to go see it.

IndyBuff

This is probably the first Star Wars film I'll opt out of seeing in theaters, though if the reviews and reactions are glowing then I might consider it. The trailers look decent but I'd still prefer a new story with new characters. Learning about Solo's past is not nearly as interesting as imagining what it might have been like.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's the official Arrested Development parody.
(Cinco de Cuarto falls on May the 4th this year.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o6XERmXsP-U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

Opening Weekend? Not this time...

IndyBuff said:
This is probably the first Star Wars film I'll opt out of seeing in theatres,...
This will be the first "Star Wars" film that I won't see on opening day...except for the original, 3 weeks after release.:(

It seems that I'm one of the few who actually wanted a Young Han movie (ever since Brian Daley's books in '79) but, while this is exciting, hopefully it won't be a financial success. Why? To help convey a message for The Mouse House:

Kathleen Kennedy should be replaced. If opening weekend numbers for "Solo" fall below expectation, it might indicate to Di$ney that a large portion of loyal, paying customer$ are displeased & turned off. The chance to make a difference in Lucasfilm is coming up right now so it's time to vote from the pocket.

Dr. Jones' fate is tied to these very circumstances so, please, my dear fellows...choose wisely! :whip:

IndyBuff

Stoo said:
This will be the first "Star Wars" film that I won't see on opening day...except for the original, 3 weeks after release.:(

It seems that I'm one of the few who actually wanted a Young Han movie (ever since Brian Daley's books in '79) but, while this is exciting, hopefully it won't be a financial success. Why? To help convey a message for The Mouse House:

Kathleen Kennedy should be replaced. If opening weekend numbers for "Solo" fall below expectation, it might indicate to Di$ney that a large portion of loyal, paying customer$ are displeased & turned off. The chance to make a difference in Lucasfilm is coming up right now so it's time to vote from the pocket.

Dr. Jones' fate is tied to these very circumstances so, please, my dear fellows...choose wisely! :whip:

I agree. Kennedy needs to go.

Lambonius

Stoo said:
a large portion of loyal, paying customer$ are displeased & turned off.

By "large portion," do you mean the vocal minority of randoms who complain about this stuff on internet movie message boards? Mainstream audiences are Disney's target, not cinephiles like us, and they are still lapping up every shred of content related to Disney's film universes. The large-scale backlash that you guys keep talking about is not in the mainstream.