The Next Indy Phobia Scene

In Raiders, it was snakes. In TOD, it was bugs. In TLC, it was rats. In the next Indy movie, what should they use for the creepy, crawly phobia scene?

Ska

I think a dark cave full of vampire bats would be creepy...with Indy making his way deeper and deeper, torch in hand. Indy could just about make it past them when he makes a noise and they start going crazy. Then when he thinks he's in the clear, he could hear more noises coming from the cave ahead of him...and ...more bats rushing out.

Routledge

What about Dinosaurs? Indiana Jones and the Mystery as to Why There Are Dinosaurs in an Indiana Jones Film! Not quite catchy enough though, is it?

Ska

VP said:
Hmm, not a bad idea. But there were already bats in ToD.

True, but they didn't really play a part in the movie except calling them out as they flew overhead...and the scene w/ Willie freaking out. This would be way more intense and slow. Indy will be practically tip-toeing past them. Maybe Sallah could be there also just so he could say, "Indy...why does the ceiling move?"

Joe Brody

Corpses?

Great oldy-but-goody topic so I don't know if ripe bodies packed in a closed space has been dealt with before -- something worse than the Poltergeist/Pirates of the Caribean quality quasi-skeletons (like those used in Raiders and TOD). . . . I'm talking about something more in line with Behind Enemy Lines. Something stinky and vile. Would that still make PG-13?

Phantom chatboard members might also work.

Ska

Joe Brody said:
Corpses?

Great oldy-but-goody topic so I don't know if ripe bodies packed in a closed space has been dealt with before -- something worse than the Poltergeist/Pirates of the Caribean quality quasi-skeletons (like those used in Raiders and TOD). . . . I'm talking about something more in line with Behind Enemy Lines. Something stinky and vile. Would that still make PG-13?

Phantom chatboard members might also work.

That got me thinking of the extended LOTR:ROTK part in the mountain...

*SPOILER* (for those who haven't seen it yet)

Millions of skulls begin breaking through the wall, causing Aragon and crew to be almost buried alive. When I watched this scene, I immediately thought of Indy.

Last time this topic came up I mentioned Indy being in water with eels around him...for their similarity to snakes.

Last edited:

Ska

...they...run...fast...???...that's about it.

Plus that Chester makes some mean cheese curls!

It wouldn't be much of a phobia scene. There were the crocs in TOD...

What the hell...let's just have more snakes.

Deadlock

Here?s the key to a phobia scene, at least from the example in the 6 examples from the three Indy films: (Yes, I said 6: tarantulas, snakes, and mummies in Raiders; bugs in TOD; and snakes and rats in Crusade). The scenes can be brief, but it needs to be gross and people should recoil at the idea (of having bugs in your hair, or tarantulas crawling all over you, etc.). However, these things really aren?t necessarily dangerous, but you need to keep your cool. (Kinda like Fear Factor). (You can usually tell a phobia scene because ol? John Williams brings in the creepy strings.)

The extended edition of Return of the King has a good ?phobia? scene during the Paths of the Dead sequence. Gimli looks down and sees that the crunching under his boots are his feet crushing human remains. :dead:

The crocs in TOD weren't much of a "phobia" scene. So I could support a croc phobia scene. But I?m not sure how you?d follow the phobia formula; sounds more like a trap sequence to me.

I think the leeches are a good idea. Maybe have Indy wading through some smelly, stagnant cesspool. Once again, good for the gross-out factor (and maybe an homage to Bogey in the African Queen). The bats are also good? hanging around your head, guano all over the ground. :sick: Corpses would be a good old-school horror element (like the mummies in Raiders).

However, as a member of the "Full Circle" camp, I think bringing Indy back to his trademark fear of snakes seems altogether necessary for Indy 4.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Deadlock said:
...However, as a member of the "Full Circle" camp, I think bringing Indy back to his trademark fear of snakes seems altogether necessary for Indy 4...

Hmmmmm, Garden of Eden, Tree of Life? Could Be?! ;)

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Hmmmmm, Garden of Eden, Tree of Life? Could Be?! ;)

[Jokingly] Oh no! Can a Masons plug be far behind?

Indy's dilemma: the Masons cut down the Tree of Life and put up a parking lot.

Neolithic

I was going to say crocodiles, but then of course, they are at the end of ToD.
Piranhas are a good one.

I think though, the best 'phobia' scene would be Indy confronting his ex-girfriends- like Hugh Grant in Four Weddings & A Funeral. That's the scariest thought for me- there would be no escape. :)