Cowboys & Aliens

Mickiana

It looks bizarre. Apparently Blood Meridian is in production now. I wonder if this has anything to do with something like Cowboys and Aliens ever occurring?

TheMutt92

DocWhiskey said:

HELLS YEAH!!! :D

But seriously, I'm really excited about this. I remember after Indy 4 people worried that'd be the last time we'd see Ford in (serious) action (I know a some people on this board were hoping he'd land the lead in the Coen Bros True Grit remake, but thats another discussion)... perhaps he will serve in more as a mentor role? Nice to see Favreau is rounding up such an interesting cast.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, weirdest bit of film news I've ever heard!

I see this as more a Harrison Ford-esque practical joke, kind of like that Mer-man Prince thing. :rolleyes:

Dr.Sartorius

Violet Indy said:
Ok, weirdest bit of film news I've ever heard!

I see this as more a Harrison Ford-esque practical joke, kind of like that Mer-man Prince thing. :rolleyes:

Why is this weird film news? :confused:

Mickiana

It's weird news because the scenario of cowboys fighting aliens sounds like very bad taste and would be a bad choice for Harrison.

tambourineman

Bad taste because its original? Its based on a graphic novel which was very good. A cross between a western and science fiction could make for a great film, as well as a big hit. Add in John Favreau directing and Spielberg producing, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde starring and I think its one of the first good choices Ford has made in a very, very long time. And god knows hes due for a non-Indy hit.

Montana Smith

It sounds like The Valley of Gwangi, cowboys vs. dinosaurs, now that was a bad movie.

I suppose aliens can visit earth at any time, so it might work.

Last edited:

Mickiana

Tambourineman, I'm prepared for it to end up being a smash hit, but in this preliminary stage it sounds ridiculous. Cowboys and Indians joining forces against invading aliens?!!! There would have to be some good twist to it for that to work or it might be an intentional farce.

indycast

Sounds like the old Secret Empire serial from the late 70's series Cliffhanger which had cowboys against an alien threat from underground....I for one am pretty excited by this! (y)

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Tambourineman, I'm prepared for it to end up being a smash hit, but in this preliminary stage it sounds ridiculous. Cowboys and Indians joining forces against invading aliens?!!! There would have to be some good twist to it for that to work or it might be an intentional farce.

If you think about Predator 2, the Predator Elder had a flintlock pistol bearing the inscription, "Raphael Adolini 1715". In Predator lore, Adolini was the most feared Barbary pirate, and therefore, a worthy prey.

So, that was aliens vs. pirates. Why not aliens vs. cowboys and indians? I've never read the comic, so I don't know what sort of aliens are involved.

Johnny Nys

I was actually enjoying the comic, and I was willing to suspend my disbelieve when the Indians'
arrows penetrated the aliens' shields and armor
, but then the
flying horses
showed up, and it all went downhill from there.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
It sounds like The Valley of Gwangi, cowboys vs. dinosaurs, now that was a bad movie.
BLASPHEMY!:whip:
Montana Smith said:
I suppose aliens can visit earth at any time, so it might work.
Sounds good to me. I had a similar idea for a story but instead of cowboys, it was British soldiers in The Sudan, 1885 so I find the scenario for this film quite appealing.
indycast said:
Sounds like the old Secret Empire serial from the late 70's series Cliffhanger which had cowboys against an alien threat from underground....I for one am pretty excited by this!(y)
I used to LOVE that show! Thank you for reminding me about the title because I couldn't remember and anyone I'd mention it to never had a clue as to what I was talking about!(y)

Montana Smith

DaveTheHutt said:
Careful son, you're treading on my childhood - Valley Of Gwangi is an awesome film!

Really? I saw it the other week on TV, and it struck me as many things, but awesome wasn't one of them! (No offence meant!) :)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
BLASPHEMY!:whip:

What? You too, Stoo!

Then I must kneel before your greater wisdom and accept the error of my vision! ;)

Stoo said:
Sounds good to me. I had a similar idea for a story but instead of cowboys, it was British soldiers in The Sudan, 1885 so I find the scenario for this film quite appealing.

Captain Blumburtt Sr. versus the Aliens: "I say, steady on old thing, you do realize you just landed your contraption on British Imperial soil. Whatever do you think Her Majesty would say?"

Last edited:

DaveTheHutt

Montana Smith said:
Really? I saw it the other week on TV, and it struck me as many things, but awesome wasn't one of them! (No offence meant!) :)

Well, you're wrong... :p

That said, I was about 7 when I first saw it and it's probably been about 20 years since I saw it last, so I'm sure my memories are rose-tinted and that time hasn't been kind... still, you've got to love Harryhausen's stop-motion work, right?

Montana Smith

DaveTheHutt said:
Well, you're wrong... :p

That said, I was about 7 when I first saw it and it's probably been about 20 years since I saw it last, so I'm sure my memories are rose-tinted and that time hasn't been kind... still, you've got to love Harryhausen's stop-motion work, right?

Harryhausen was a genius in his day. The true father of Wallace and Grommit. However, advances in technology mean we get much smoother animation now.

Jerky was quirky, but now we have Wallace and Grommit style stop-motion which is so much smoother, and with greater subtlety. I loved the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts, and jerky movements seemed to suit those boneheads. Yep, Harryhausen gave me a thing for skeletons, so I bought a bunch of the Army of the Darkness undead to accompany Hasbro's Indy!

I think the best thing in Gwangi was the miniature horse. The other creatures were funny, and some kept changing colour between their miniature and life-sized model versions.

I met an old guy yesterday at a flea market who had a Kong of Skull Island story book on his stall. As soon as I looked at it I realized it wasn't the book I was hoping to find, and he happened to say how he still preferred the original Kong film to the "new one". In my personal opinion that's something I can't understand. Though I appreciate the technical achievements of the 1930s film, Peter Jackson's version is a thing of beauty, and one of my favourite movies.

(That's probably blasphemous as well, eh Stoo?)