Is it better than temple of doom?

davejames

Agent Spalko said:
"I go first Indy..."

That line always cracks me up but it's so over-the-top camp that I can't take the first half of the film seriously at all. If the film had taken itself more seriously like Raiders it would have been a masterpiece.

I don't think there's any way Spielberg could have played Doom as straight as he did Raiders. Everything in the second movie, from the cartoonish mine car chase to the spooky villain to the crazy, over the top temple itself, was just too silly and comic booky in nature to ever be taken THAT seriously. He pretty much had to camp it up to make the story work.

And frankly I don't think a more toned-down, realistic temple and villain would have been nearly as much fun anyway.

Doom is two completely different films. It's bi-polar. We go from slapstick comedy to sheer horror in 12.5 seconds. The original title was "Temple of Death" which in my mind set the expectation that is was going to be much much darker and more threatening than Raiders like Empire Strikes Back. I was sorely disappointed because the first half was campy and it didn't start taking itself seriously until the Thugee ceremony. If you're going to go dark, go all the way. The problem was Lucas was coming off his divorce and wanted to make a dark film but Steven just wanted to have fun and go light. That worked fine for Crusade but for Doom if you want to take Indy to the very depths of hell then make it dramatic and suspensful, not a schizophrenic mood swing.

Jenos Idanian

For me Doom had some of the best dialog. For example the scene with Indy and Willie when he brings her that plate of fruit in the palace. "I don't know, as a scientist I don't like to prejudice my experiment. I'll let you know in the morning" I think that's how the line went. But that whole scene in my mind is one of my favorites.

Fish1941

oki9Sedo said:
Looking at the films individually, Temple of Doom is the weakest, I think. In context however, I think Temple of Doom is better than Last Crusade. Either way though, its still a very good movie.

Crystal Skull has a lot to do to beat it.

You're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to disagree with you. Frankly, I personally feel that TOD had a stonger story than the other two. But . . . it's my opinion.

MolaRam2

Jenos Idanian said:
For me Doom had some of the best dialog. For example the scene with Indy and Willie when he brings her that plate of fruit in the palace. "I don't know, as a scientist I don't like to prejudice my experiment. I'll let you know in the morning" I think that's how the line went. But that whole scene in my mind is one of my favorites.

Temple of Doom is full of great dialogue, here are more examples:
These may not be 100% correct, but they get the idea across.

Examples from Indy-
-The diamond Lao Che, or anything goes.
-You have such a vivid imagination.
-We're getting out of here, all of us.
-Prepare to meet Kali in Hell. (The greatest one-liner ever, it makes John McClain from Die Hard look like a wimp)

Examples from Mola Ram-
-Kali Ma will rule the world.
-Welcome
-Go ahead and drop them Dr. Jones, the stone will be found, you won't.
-You are not in a posistion to give orders.

Kingsley

My expectations with KOTCS are really those, to see a good Indy movie, better than TOD.
TOD is pretty good, but far from the other two in my consideration. Well, not sooo far, but enough to let Kotcs take a comfortable place between them ;)

oki9Sedo

Fish1941 said:
You're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to disagree with you. Frankly, I personally feel that TOD had a stonger story than the other two. But . . . it's my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love Temple of Doom. Its a great action-adventure film.

Jawad M

honestly it all depends on what you like originally. For me Crusade has been #1 on the list followed by Raiders and then Temple. But I know some people who love Temple the best.

but for me KOTCS stands right there along with Crusade and Raiders and some might argue with me, I thought it was better than Raiders in some sense

deckard24

If KOTCS is as good as TOD I'll be shocked and extremely happy!! I think it'll fall somewhere between TOD and LC when all is said and done. Based on all the reviews so far, it looks like it'll be a nice balance between the two.

Zorg

If KotCS ends up being better than any of the classic films (of course these are subjective opinions), it has far surpassed expectations IMO.

Personally, I don't know if I even want KotCS to be better. I just want it to be just as good as the other films. And it looks like it will be, which is a great triumph for Spielberg, Ford and Lucas.

Vance

I just want to enjoy two hours of screen time... 'cause that'll be two hours of my life I won't get back. :) I'm just not up for comparisons with other movies, even other Indiana Jones movies just yet. Ask me again when the Blu Ray versions all come out.

Salacious

TOD is my 2nd fav after Raiders. I didnt like the lighthearted action of LC, even though Connery and Ford were great together.

From reports so far, the action in Indy 4 is tonally the same as LC. So it cant be better than TOD, which had great action from start to finish!

I think the CGI will also distract me in this movie, but I have to see it before final judgement.

oki9Sedo

Salacious said:
From reports so far, the action in Indy 4 is tonally the same as LC. So it cant be better than TOD, which had great action from start to finish!

Ahhhhh noooooooo. Thats not what I wanted to hear at all.

In Last Crusade, the action focussed as much on the behaviour of the characters and the humour deriving from that as the thrill of the action itself. That was a good idea, but I would like things to go back to basics with this one.

Edge-of-your-seat, thrilling action, where the characters are actually in danger.

Crack that whip

Whether or not Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is as good as, worse than or better than Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (or The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Raiders of the Lost Ark and/or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, for that matter) is really beside the point.

The important question is whether or not Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than sliced bread.

donufro

Salacious said:
I think the CGI will also distract me in this movie, but I have to see it before final judgement.

What's distracting about CGI? Weren't the blue-screen black outlines distracting in the other movies? ;-)

Salacious

For some reason, older effects just seemed more real...I guess depends on the movie.

Some CGI looks great, some dont. I dont really want to nitpick too much at this point, so just ignore what I said previously. :)

SPECTER

Im not gonna judge the CGI till i see the movie. in StarWars E3 the CG was soo much and so fictional you could really tell. in this it could tun out 2 ways.
1. its not overly used and is made good fits in, it works...
2. its as good as in SW but its set in real world soo you can tell its fake,and overly used. hurts the movie.

im betting 1. but in scenes like the jungle cliff chase you will notice it, but what do you want them to do, I mean you want them to go find a big cliff in the jungle that has enough space on it for 2 cars to drive on the ledge.

yea the past movies workd without it but if they used all old FX then the movie would get bashed saying there is nothing special about the stunts and such. i dont know i can watch the Desert Chase and its still pretty cool to me. i guess they wanted a more epic movie and couldnt do it with out the CG.

not gonna hurt my love of the movie one bit

MolaRam2

Salacious said:
TOD is my 2nd fav after Raiders. I didnt like the lighthearted action of LC, even though Connery and Ford were great together.

I hope your wrong about the tone of Indy 4's action. It still has a chance at being better than LC though, making it the 3rd best Indy film.

I generally hate CGI, the effects in the old Indy movies look very realistic, whereas CGI often looks fake and noticeable. The puppets falling from the rope bridge in Temple look far more realistic than CGI.