How come Indy never smoked in the movies?

deckard24

I'm curious as to why Indy never smoked once in the movies. Considering the time period, smoking was extremely common place. Indy always struck me as a guy who might smoke a cigarette every now and then. Certain scenes I could see him lighting up, like in RotLA after Marion is thought to be dead and he's trying to drink away the pain. Or in ToD, in the opening scene in Club Obi Wan. I could see him sitting down at Lao Che's table and pulling out his trusty zippo and lighting up. It would seem to be a very Bond like action, and since Spielberg was going to make a Bond movie and being a big fan he even put Ford in the white Goldfinger tux.

Interestingly enough, in the original artwork by Jim Steranko of the Indy concept character, he had a cigarette clenched tightly in his teeth. Indy has always had that Bogart way about him, so I'm somewhat surprised he's never smoked once in any of the films. I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas knew kids would be looking up to Indy as a hero, so they didn't want to advocate smoking as the cool thing to do. Still, I could see him occasionally lighting up or smoking a hookah with Sallah, lol!

Vendetta08

Very good point, indeed. I've wondered this once too. Smoking definitely seemed like something Indy would do but like you said, they knew kids would be watching. Or hey, maybe he just never had any cigarettes on him at the time.

deckard24

Indy is in almost constant motion, so taking the time to stop and smoke wouldn't work too well. But, I always wondered what the lighter was for then. Perhaps, as a backup light in a dark cave or a pyramid corridor? It's not necessary for the character to have him smoke, it just seemed to be appropriate with his gritty character. He sure knocks back a few whiskeys during the trilogy, so I could easily see him with a cig in scenes like Marcus' visit to his home before he leaves to find Marion in RotLA.

deckard24

Yeah I never saw the lighter before LC either, but was it Elsa's? I thought he had it in the catacombs in Venice, or did she hand it to him?

Gear

I think they just didnt want to have it look like they were trying to make him look to tough, ya know. they may have thought that it would make him look to gritty. Hmm. I dunno.

Finn

Staff member
Actually, in the screenplays of Raiders and ToD, there were mentions of Indy smoking a cigarrette. Why they didn't make the films however, is whole another story. Guess they're not <i>that</i> much period pieces after all.

deckard24

Attila, you're right the lighter was Elsa's!

Arkfinder, I believe the addition of smoking to Indy's character would only reinforce the accuracy of the time period. During the 30's smoking was extremely fashionable. Both men and women smoked, and started at a very young age. Just watch most movies or documentaries of that time period and you'll see a great majority of people smoking. Even athletes smoked! The dangers of cigarettes had not yet been exposed. Two things I always noticed about films of that period were the majority of men wearing hats(fedoras, golf caps, etc..) and the prevelance of cigarettes. Indy smoking is irrelevant now, but it would have added to the authenticty of the films.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The lighter was Elsa's and the white tuxedo was a Bogart homage, not a Bond one.

deckard24

VP, yeah I realized the lighter was Elsa's but where did you see or read that the white tux was a Bogart not a Bond homage? Yes, it looks like a nod to Casablanca but it could also just as soon be Goldfinger. Spielberg was a big Bond fan, and wanted to direct a Bond film when Lucas approached him with the idea for Indy. He's made continual references to Bond over the years regarding the Indy movies. He even said who else could play the father of Indiana Jones but James Bond himself(Sean Connery). I never saw a specific mention of Bogart, so I'm curious as to where you heard it.

Gear

To me Indy seems like a guy who might take a drag every once in a while but not ever really smoke and I'm fine with that. He's fine the way he is. However, I see him as a drinker- not a drunk but a drinker. ;)

Vendetta08

Not just the tux but that Indy is drinking a martini at the same time is what made me think it was an homage to Bond, and the 'Berg is a big fan of 007.

Anyway, as for the smoking, does anyone have a link to the concept art with Indy smoking, or all of the colored concept work for that matter.

Issard

The dangers of cigarettes had not yet been exposed.

Actually I've seen movies from the thirties and forties where they refer to ciggarettes as 'Coughing, (coffin) nails'. So educated people, like college professors, were aware that ciggarettes were dangerous.