The Lost Journal

Stoo

Shark_Blade said:
I saw this book in the store today. Should I get it? Is it worth it?
It depends on what you're into. If you're interested in the Indy timeline, then YES, absolutely! If you're a "film only guy", then no.
Anyway, have you read the entire thread? (Start at page 4) It might give you a better idea on whether it's worth it or not.:)

Shark_Blade

Yeah I have. Some people like it, some don't. I got the bookstore people to unwrapped it so I can see it's content (they won't let people read for free).

It's really colorful but the things inside it are merely a nod to the movies, recyling things again and again (such as Marion/Indy comparison with the monkey, Shorty's "ha ha I beat you Dr. Jones", repetitive words we've heard before and such.

But I feel like it's a side read/comic relief and to be taken light heartedly.
It's like JK Rowlings' Quidditch Through The Ages and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.(y)

So I think I'll grab a copy just because I like the fun referencing, although I do wish it could be more in-depth and more Indy's personal thoughts were put into the Journal.;)

Indy Pendant

Shark_Blade said:
Yeah I have. Some people like it, some don't. I got the bookstore people to unwrapped it so I can see it's content (they won't let people read for free).

Your local bookstore had to unwrap it because they don't let people read for free? That's one weird bookstore. Saturday, I read an entire novel just sitting in a bookstore cafe, and the "barista" at the cafe knew it.

Anyway, I think I'll buy Indy's lost journal if I get another gigantic coupon at Borders.

Shark_Blade

I'd say that non-novel books are all sealed in plastic wrappings. DK Ultimate Guide, The Complete Making of, and The Lost Journal are wrapped, but the James Rollins, and other Indy novels are not.

Same goes with all other books = novels mostly are not wrapped like Harry Potter, Golden Compass, books about religion,etc.. but boooks like programming, game guides, Gordon Ramsay recipe book, Batman comics and learning language books are all sealed.

The unwrapped ones you can read at your leisure in the bookstore, whether on the bench provided, the little wooden stairs or on the floor.

Last edited:

Indy Pendant

Shark_Blade said:
I'd say that non-novel books are all sealed in plastic wrappings. DK Ultimate Guide, The Complete Making of, and The Lost Journal are wrapped, but the James Rollins, and other Indy novels are not.

Ahh. I was just able to flip open The Complete Making of Indiana Jones to make the very easy decision of whether to buy it. Right now it's a coffee table book. The Ultimate Guide is also just sitting, open, on the bookstore shelves.

Man With A Hat said:
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in another thread, but I couldn't find it. I was wondering, the diary Indy leafs through in KoTCS is his, not his dad's, correct? If so, what did it contain, and has anyone seen enough to make a replica yet?

Again, sorry..this is my 2nd post.

It's his own personal Journal. and there's a licensed copy available now called the lost Journal of Indiana Jones. It includes some entries from the young Indy series as well as TOD RotLA LC and finally a few bits for KotCS

Man With A Hat

Indy's Journal

Just got it today, was a little disappointed the store didn't have The IJ Handbook, this looks good too at least in ads.

Those of you that have read it, is it 'real', within the IJ universe, or just another piece of merchandising?

Junior Jones

Man With A Hat said:
Those of you that have read it, is it 'real', within the IJ universe, or just another piece of merchandising?

A lot of the dates don't match up with other things, like DK's Ultimate Guide. But who's to say which is right and which is wrong?

Man With A Hat

I've just bought the Lost Journal and the DK Guide, and of the two I like them both equally. I recently found the Indy novels, can you believe that? I didn't know they existed. I was a little disappointed with the Journal as some of the items that I believe should have been 'interactive', the tickets and such were just drawings and the like. Also, I thought that there should have been more things 'written' by Indy himself.

All in all, I did find it to be a fun read. Shame that Indy's dad's Grail Diary wasn't made available like Indy's was.

The Drifter

One thing that bothered me about the Lost Journal.
In the section when Young Indy meets Fedora for the first time. He draws a very good portrait of Fedora and on the very next page he draws a crappy looking cobra that looks traced.

Either he can draw good or he can't.

HovitosKing

Lonsome_Drifter said:
In the section when Young Indy meets Fedora for the first time. He draws a very good portrait of Fedora and on the very next page he draws a crappy looking cobra that looks traced.

Either he can draw good or he can't.

He hates snakes, and didn't want to spend a lot of time drawing that cobra. Just quickly traced it and moved on, because it was an unnerving piece of artwork, would be my guess. Plus, when he leafs back through the journal in the future, he won't have a realistic-looking cobra to pop off the page and scare the crap out of him.

Stoo

Lonsome_Drifter said:
That's one of things I laughed at the most when I first bought it! "Oh, Indy can draw, too?":confused:
(He sketches an oryx in a Young Indy episode but it's crude in comparison. Whatever...)
The book has heart in it and (although aimed at kids) I consider the illustrations a plus.:D

Kooshmeister

I picked this thing up at Barnes and Noble and I have a question for those of you who already own it. There are two pages torn out of it about midway through. Is this intentional, to add to the "authentic" feel of it being an old journal, or did I unknowingly purchase a damaged book?

I can't tell which it is.

To me the oddest thing about the journal will always be the page where Indy and his dad compare weapons. Just picture it, Indy humming the Indy theme to himself as he carefully finishes off sketching his whip...

I was also annoyed by the lack of Young Indy, the whole war and Indy writes one thing, sure, its not so much a Diary as a scrapbook he keeps forgetting about.

Its still fun though.

Oh and according to the Nazi Wanted posters from LC, Henry Sr. was only 9 years old Indy was born. Interesting.

indyclone25

i finally got a copy of the lost journal and i was a bit pissed when i found torn pages but after reading the following page it mention s that its missing four pages so i was relieved , nice book , just glad i was able to find a copy a year later ---