Online relationships

The_Raiders

I was thinking about this subject and was wondering what others think about online relationships. Whats your opinion about them? There's one girl I really like and we have both sent countless amounts of pictures and some videos back and forth. And what I think the best part is I wasn't on the internet searching for people, we just stumbled across eachother. But I figure I'd get my fellow Raveners opinion too. ;) . Just for future referance, please don't turn this into an arguing thread, let's keep it calm and cool please. :cool:

Last edited:

The Drifter

Online relationships <b>CAN</b> work!
I stumbled onto a certain girl, and now she is my wife of 8 years.

We started talking through emails, and chat clients.
We sent our pictures through snail mail, and mailed letters through snail mail. That led to phone calls, and then we met.

After that we moved in together, got married, had 2 kids, and we are 100% happy together.
So, our marriage is proof that online relationships can work.
Good luck!

Hedwig

I think that online relationships can work.:) To me it's important that both of the persons in the relationship know their intentions and both of them are open about their feelings. I have never tried online dating, though... My mom is strictly against it, but it's possible that I'll give it a try when I'm old enough.:)
Good luck to you, The_Raiders!(y)

oki9Sedo

I have no problem with them, nor do I have a right to. People have the right to meet each other however they please.

That said, it's not for me.

Finn

Staff member
If adults wish to take a shot at finding their soulmate online, good luck to them.

Teenage online dating on the other hand... let's just say that it's usually not a very token idea.

Spoken from experience.

The_Raiders

Hey thanks for the nice comments raveners :hat: . The truth is I acually wouldn't want to get on the internet and search for people, but me and this girl just stubbled across eachother and started talking, so far it's kind of like Lonsome_Drifters story :D . It's very interesting, and I love the experiance, and I really love the girl She means thw hole world to me, hah but don't get me started or I won't stop :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

Indy fan 235

Lonsome_Drifter said:

We sent our pictures through snail mail, and mailed letters through snail mail. That led to phone calls, and then we met.

After that we moved in together, got married, had 2 kids, and we are 100% happy together.
Good luck!

That is a great story. It makes me happy to hear stories like this.

nezobiwan

I met my husband online also, but we also attended the same high school, so I don't think the online dating term really applies to us technically...

My sister has been 'dating' a guy from Wales for more than 2 years and they just met last week. She's staying with his family in the UK for 2 months. A year ago when she was planning the trip she was also shopping for a wedding dress. :rolleyes:

Obviously most of the family thought it was a bad idea, but supported her anyways. Thankfully she's decided to hold off on serious wedding plans until they get to know each other better--but I know she's going in to this hoping to be a bride.

I'm not saying that they can't be happy together; I'm saying that people can be drastically different in person than on the computer. Think of everything you are missing out on: seeing them interact with others, hearing their tone of voice, smelling their body odor, :sick: :eek:

...but on a more serious note: don't invest too much in the relationship until you meet and start dating for real--you might be setting yourself up for a bigger heartbreak if you type rather than say the "L" word.

Nez's words of wisdom... :rolleyes:

The_Raiders

I wouldlike to invest as much into my realationship with this girl as I can, I want it to blossom. And I do see what you mean about not being beng together in person. But we kind of have plans, and we are both looking forword to being with eacother. :D

Indy fan 235

The_Raiders said:
I wouldlike to invest as much into my realationship with this girl as I can, I want it to blossom. And I do see what you mean about not being beng together in person. But we kind of have plans, and we are both looking forword to being with eacother. :D

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

The_Raiders

Indy fan 235 said:
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Hey thanks!!! That means alot!! :hat: . I'm sure everything will work out ok. I'm willing to do anything iot takes to make my relationship with this girl work, I'm extremly devoted to her, and just want the best for us together, so thanks again :hat:

bonoferox

I agree with Nez.

What you think they will be like and what they turn out to be like can be wildly different. Maybe that can be a good thing, in a way, but you never know until you're face to face.

It definitely can work and has the potential, but it's a lot of hard work if it's over a long distance especially. Just keep strong with it :)

Good luck to you both!

The_Raiders

That's true, but I think we can both stay strong in it together. Thanks again everyone. I think everything will work out. ;) :hat:

|ZiR|

I don't think online relationships are the best of ideas because on the internet you're each presenting yourself how you want the other person to percive you. Which isn't all that different from a first date, but with online relationships you tend to talk to the person many times before actually meeting in the flesh, and by that point each party has had time to build up their own persona, and it could be quite the opposite of how they are in RL.

I dabbled in online dating when I was 15/16, and that was biggest problem for me. I guess it's very attractive to some people to sort of reinvent themselves the way they want to be online.

But it's obviously not all bad. I've heard equal amounts of both success and horror stories.

You like the girl, and she seems to be genuine, so I say go for it! Good luck. (y)

The_Raiders

True. I think we are both gunuine. We might talk on the phone soon so that will be pretty awesome, I can't wait!!! (y) .

sarah navarro

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Good luck!
This is a really nice story,makes me happy (y)

tupogirl

My husband and I have a similar story to Lonsome Drifter. Met through a music ezine, I emailed him, we emailed and phoned and mailed for awhile, met in real life...Meant to be! We married, I moved to be with him, and 10 years and 2 kids later, we're stronger than ever!!

|ZiR|

Nurhachi1991 said:
My friend dated a girl on WoW once...................... Were still making fun of him! (y)

Similar experience with a friend, 'cept in this instance the "she" involved turned out to be a "he."

Ruh-oh!