Serious Question - Why does Lucas still command respect?

Raider S

OK, maybe it's because he has a fortune and a giant special effects empire. But in terms of story telling, why do people still love this guy so much? I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as others but it certainly isn?t the greatest thing I've ever seen.

After the abysmal Star Wars Prequels (and only true Star Wars nuts can say they thought those movies were well done) what?s Lucas done? They had 20 years between these two franchises to come up with stories and the best we get is Darth Vader as a nine year old divine birth and Indy chasing a UFO in the jungle?

Maybe we?ve all gotten very dumb and accept this as entertainment.

Anyone out there still look forward to new Lucas projects?

blueoakleyz

He was only good when he didn't have CGI at his disposal. Even Willow was charming and pretty good. And Howard the Duck. Now everything is cgi this cgi that it's like a freakin cartoon
I hope lucas gets banned

gonzosports

Put CGI aside. The stories he's coming up with aren't any good anymore - the prequels plot narratives are as convoluted, tangled and nonsensical as they are non-engaging.

Lucas was a grand innovator in taking ideas from others and putting them in a new context, and he was a master at coming up with a good narrative to showcase them in.

For instance, Star Wars is Kirosawa, right? Indiana Jones is 1930s Republic serials. What he did was, and this is the basis of post-modern art, was seamlessly blended in past mythos into our conventions for storytelling and he did with a masterful blend of new techniques...

...well, guess what, he blew his was in 1981. Seriously. Because after Empire and Temple, nothing has worked for him.

The free passes I gave to Lucas for the first Star Wars and to Spielberg for the first Raiders expired. Something went wrong with them - was it popular accolade, age, a lack of challenging themselves? I have no idea, but they're pale shadows of who they once were.

blueoakleyz

gonzosports said:
Put CGI aside. The stories he's coming up with aren't any good anymore - the prequels plot narratives are as convoluted, tangled and nonsensical as they are non-engaging.

Lucas was a grand innovator in taking ideas from others and putting them in a new context, and he was a master at coming up with a good narrative to showcase them in.

For instance, Star Wars is Kirosawa, right? Indiana Jones is 1930s Republic serials. What he did was, and this is the basis of post-modern art, was seamlessly blended in past mythos into our conventions for storytelling and he did with a masterful blend of new techniques...

...well, guess what, he blew his was in 1981. Seriously. Because after Empire and Temple, nothing has worked for him.

The free passes I gave to Lucas for the first Star Wars and to Spielberg for the first Raiders expired. Something went wrong with them - was it popular accolade, age, a lack of challenging themselves? I have no idea, but they're pale shadows of who they once were.

Of course he's not. Anything he thinks of he can do because he can just use CGI and make it into a freaking cartoon.

Raider S

His movies and stories seem childish - not for children but more like by a child.

Those new Star Wars films could have done so damn different.

Vendetta08

Pfft, if Lucas were standing in front of you, most of you would bow down and offer to spit shine his shoes before spasming out.

Jenos Idanian

Vendetta08 said:
Pfft, if Lucas were standing in front of you, most of you would bow down and offer to spit shine his shoes before spasming out.

I would seriously ask him what the hell he was thinking. I may have bowed before him when i was a kid but not now.

blueoakleyz

Vendetta08 said:

No, I don't idolize fellow humans. I would tell him cgi is cheating

Raider S

Don't hate him, just the crap stories he seems to think are decent for the past 15 or so years. Make some good movies and stories and I'll give the guy all the credit in the world, just like his earlier stuff.

Forrestal1972

sandiegojones said:
What a bullsh!t f**cking thread! You Lucas haters are pathetic.
Eh, will someone call the intollerant police? What, do you like parachute into threads that are obviously tending towards so-called naysayers, just to call their opinoins bullsh*t? Why bother even entering the thread if it's so obviously not for you. It's your choice of course, but don't just jump in, snipe, and then jump out again. Add something constructive, if you can...

Vendetta08

blueoakleyz said:
No, I don't idolize fellow humans. I would tell him cgi is cheating

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. Everything in filmmaking is cheating

Scripting...planning...editing....wire work...practical effects...sets...matte paintings...

What ISN'T a cheat?

Would you rather all filmmakers go out with a camcorder in the woods for two hours with their friends and tell them to just film what is going on so there wouldn't be any 'cheating' for the movie.

gonzosports

Vendetta08 said:

George Lucas introduced Attack of the Clones to me (and the other peeps in the screening room) for a special preview of it. At the time, I was a bit start struck.

My friend, who I went with to see Indy IV, was also at the AOTC preview, said if only we could go back in time and just shake him.

gonzosports

Let CGI go! It's just a tool - who cares if it's used, the thing is when it's done so poorly as to actual detract from the film, I agree it's worth mentioning, because like the rest of the movie, it becomes bad filmmaking.

In a good film, you won't care you can see the zipper down the monster's back, but in a bad film, you can't help but notice the space suit on the gorilla.

gonzosports

sandiegojones said:
What a bullsh!t f**cking thread! You Lucas haters are pathetic.

A posting like this should be deleted, insults add nothing to a thread. You have a right to your own opinion, and while I strongly disagree don't think you're pathetic. Even if the way you state your opinion is.

sandiegojones

Forrestal1972 said:
Eh, will someone call the intollerant police? What, do you like parachute into threads that are obviously tending towards so-called naysayers, just to call their opinoins bullsh*t? Why bother even entering the thread if it's so obviously not for you. It's your choice of course, but don't just jump in, snipe, and then jump out again. Add something constructive, if you can...
Um, do you see my posts. I do not snipe. And why is this in the SPOILER forum? How many Lucas sucks threads to we need? Lucas commands respect because he has 2 things. Money and power.

"Drewish princesses are often attracted to money and power, and I have both!"

Last edited:

Hawkeye

I think the reason Lucas's newer stuff is crappy (And no, I'm not including Crystal Skull) is that once Lucas has an idea in his mind as to how a movie should be, be it story or effects, he can't see it any other way. Add to this the fact that he's surrounded himself with "yes" men who no matter what crazy idea he spews out, all agree he craps rainbows. Do I hate Lucas? No. I've only truly hated about five people in my life, and I find it kind of hard to have any realistic opinion on someone I've never met. Other than making movies, the man has no real effect on my life than what I see in the theater.