Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

avidfilmbuff

I just finished Phoenix Wright last night. I guess it can be considered an adventure game, albeit an unconventional one. The game doesn't really require any puzzle solving, and there is very little exploration. But trying to find contradictions in cross examinations, is a very time inducing experience that requires a great deal of thought. Overall, a great game, probably the second or third best DS game.

Broken Swords arrived by mail the other day; but unfortunately, it doesn't work on scummvm on my mac. Finn offered me a few solutions, but they seem a bit too complicated. Luckily the game works just fine on my PC, so I'll be playing it within a few weeks.

Morning Bell

I finally finished Uncharted 2 the other night and it's easily my favorite game of the year. I'm already looking forward to playing through it again.:whip:

avidfilmbuff

I will start playing Broken Swords next week, I wasn't able to because of some inconveniences in my schedule.

But for now, I'm playing Professor Layton on my DS, It's pretty good so far. But like Phoenix Wright, I'm having trouble figuring out whether or not the game can be classified as an "adventure game." My guess would be technically yes, but they are just so unique that it's hard to pinpoint a genre.

Say Finn, I don't if you're familiar with these two games, but if you are, can these two game be classified as adventure games?

Finn

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
Say Finn, I don't if you're familiar with these two games, but if you are, can these two game be classified as adventure games?
I'm not, but some people seem to think they are, so I'm just going to roll with them.

*Sigh* Three more long weeks for Mass Effect 2...

adventure_al

Currently Football Manager 2010

but Staff of Kings on the wii has been getting a run out as it was a stocking filler at christmas.

Also been having some great fun with Shaun White: World Stage snowboarding with the balance board.

DocWhiskey

Anybody ever play the Shining Force games on Sega Genesis? I bought that Sega Genesis collection for $15 for my 360 and it's fantastic. Over 40 Genesis games. I'll be busy for awhile.

Agent Crab

DocWhiskey said:
Anybody ever play the Shining Force games on Sega Genesis? I bought that Sega Genesis collection for $15 for my 360 and it's fantastic. Over 40 Genesis games. I'll be busy for awhile.

SHining Force is pretty fun, as well for the Classic Phantasy Star games.

Finn

Staff member
Mass Effect 2.

From a purely technological viewpoint - it's a marvel. Certainly sets a new high bar to what people call "cinematic gaming". The setpieces have much more variety than the original, and the game pacing is extremely smooth. The plot probably depends on tastes though and some might find it cheesy, so I won't delve into praising that while I personally seem to be having loads of fun with it.

The gameplay aspects might make some people frown though. It's basically a standard shooter and a RPG lite, which doesn't make me think it's going to be quite the winner among all people. Some RPG purists are definitely going to complain about the toned down (or "streamlined") character customization and action-centric gameplay, while those just craving to get into the next shootout might be appalled by the lengthy bits you just spend walking around and talking to people.

I'm familiar with both and thus able to enjoy most of the stuff the game throws at me - the only low note being the resource-gathering minigame. It's a tad tedious, but I've heard that unlike last time it actually ties to the main plot and you're forced to spend some time scanning planets if you wish to reach one of the game's better endings.

All things considered though, it plays and feels pretty good to me. I'd believe most gamers should at least check it out - as is the case with part 1.

Rhys135

Resident Evil 4 is a modern masterpiece. (y) Played throught it numerous times on the Gamecube and again when I upgraded to the Wii edition.

Indy Scout 117

the best game EVER, of course!!

CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 2!!!!!!! (y)

killin n00bz is fun on that game :p

(you can tell im a real nerd now, right?? lol)

avidfilmbuff

Well, I finally got around to playing Broken Swords today. I must say, so far, it's pretty good. I really love the references the game made to Poirot and Tintin at the beginning.

Finn

Staff member
avidfilmbuff said:
Well, I finally got around to playing Broken Swords today. I must say, so far, it's pretty good. I really love the references the game made to Poirot and Tintin at the beginning.
It's one of my all-time favorites, that's for certain. However, I must ask... why do you constantly type the name in a plural form? Are you referring to the whole series instead of simply one entry (likely the first)?

avidfilmbuff

Finn said:
It's one of my all-time favorites, that's for certain. However, I must ask... why do you constantly type the name in a plural form? Are you referring to the whole series instead of simply one entry (likely the first)?

Oh jeez, you're right. All this time I've been reading it with an s in the end when there wasn't any. I guess I need to have my eyes checked.