What is the Best 90's Indy novel?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
There was a reason why it was a huge spoiler tag. It was enter at your own risk! :p

But, yeah... Marion wouldn't die. She just to awesome too. Lucas would have only read novels or at least, the synopsis once before being ok with publication. Perhaps McCoy intended to make it dubious as to whether the curse was lifted or not, with the way the trilogy is. I like to think that was lifted because of what happened when he returned the skull. Also to use the curse to explain Indy's love life, not quite settling down in fear of the curse happening again. So it was lifted but Indy was just not sure of himself and decided not to endanger anyone. However, Marion seems to have been quite lucky. She was believed to be dead in Raiders and survived (same with Indy ala LC), so it seems she is about as easy to kill as Indy, which really isn't that easy at all.

Gary2880

New to Indy lit...

I noticed a big long thread about indy novels, I have just bought these 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553295020

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553561952

Are these any good yeah? which is the best author of them

Does anyone know what this is, a collection of the above novels?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-v-1/dp/1593078870/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203881094&sr=1-3

And i read that someone mentioned something about indiana jones "graphic novels" ? can someone point me in the direction of those please

Danke muchly

:whip: (y)

metalinvader

The Omnibus is a collection of the first three comic series by Dark Horse..So-so stories,Terrible art.

As for the novels,I like them.They are all pretty good,Cept for the two Martin Caidin books.His two novels are just unreadable.If I were you I would have start with the first in the series,Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi.Start with that book because when reading Genesis Deluge ,The fourth in the series, you'll be scratching your head wondering who some of the characters are and not to mention a MAJOR story line in the early part of the series.

Travis85

* Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Interior World - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates - by Martin Caidin
* Indiana Jones and the White Witch - by Martin Caidin
* Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx - by Max McCoy
That is Wikipedia's list, and I think it is correct, because I believe the writers wrote the books in chronological order.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
metalinvader said:
Heh,Came out two years before the HP book.:p

Only two? Wow, goes to show how entirely ignorant I am of Harry Potter, at least in terms of time frame. (I'm not one of those people who's proud of not knowing things about pop culture; I swear by cultural osmosis, but the whole timeframe thing, especially in relation to the Indy novels, escapes me sometimes.)

metalinvader

Attila the Professor said:
Only two? Wow, goes to show how entirely ignorant I am of Harry Potter, at least in terms of time frame. (I'm not one of those people who's proud of not knowing things about pop culture; I swear by cultural osmosis, but the whole timeframe thing, especially in relation to the Indy novels, escapes me sometimes.)

Yup,It does seem that Harry Potter is only a few years old.Interesting little tid bit,Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was completed in '95.Same year as Indy's Philosopher's Stone book was published.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Indy books just seem so much older, you know? When I was reading them, when I was younger, I always felt like I had acquired the books sometime after they were published. In retrospect, that apparently isn't quite the case.

Aztec

Stay away from Sky Pirates. It was as if the author wrote the novel and then went back and inserted Indiana Jones.

Gary2880

well the 2 i ordered the other week came today so ill have to hold off reading them! could only find the 1st book from america so probably going to take ages to get here

adventure_al

Travis85 said:
* Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Interior World - by Rob MacGregor
* Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates - by Martin Caidin
* Indiana Jones and the White Witch - by Martin Caidin
* Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth - by Max McCoy
* Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx - by Max McCoy
That is Wikipedia's list, and I think it is correct, because I believe the writers wrote the books in chronological order.

pretty helpful for me too, i was looking for that. i probably would've missed michael caidin's books anyway purely because the titles sound awful.

Dr.Sartorius

Gary2880 said:
I noticed a big long thread about indy novels, I have just bought these 2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553295020

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553561952

Are these any good yeah? which is the best author of them

Does anyone know what this is, a collection of the above novels?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-v-1/dp/1593078870/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203881094&sr=1-3

And i read that someone mentioned something about indiana jones "graphic novels" ? can someone point me in the direction of those please

Danke muchly

:whip: (y)

You ordered probably my two favorite Indy novels. Genesis Deluge and Hollow Earth just seemed like quintessential Indy stories.

YouNeverKnow

Raven consensus on the novels?

Hi all, I had a quick question.

I was looking at the Indy novels collection (the only one I've read being Hollow Earth when I was far too young to fully appreciate and even understand what was going on) and I decided I'd ask other rabid fans what they think of the series.

Basically, how are your feelings of them? Do they deviate too much from the Indy we all know and love? Are they vital stories any Indy fan should read/own? I was thinking of buying a bunch this summer but Amazon reviews have me torn.

Okay, sorry for being long-winded. Hope to hear what you guys have to say!

scottbravesfan

YouNeverKnow said:
Hi all, I had a quick question.

I was looking at the Indy novels collection (the only one I've read being Hollow Earth when I was far too young to fully appreciate and even understand what was going on) and I decided I'd ask other rabid fans what they think of the series.

Basically, how are your feelings of them? Do they deviate too much from the Indy we all know and love? Are they vital stories any Indy fan should read/own? I was thinking of buying a bunch this summer but Amazon reviews have me torn.

Okay, sorry for being long-winded. Hope to hear what you guys have to say!

I like them all. The Macgregor and McCoy ones are the best but I enjoyed the Caiden ones as well. I would purchase them if they start selling again hopefully they will start the series back up again.

They have all been reprinted. You can buy them from Barnes & Noble, Borders or Amazon.com. They are good for the most part but some get a little goofy. If I remember correctly I think the Sky Pirates got into UFO's which got a bit too sci-fi for me, kinda like another Indy adventure we've been hearing about. :rolleyes: