X-Men: The Last Stand

Abe Vayoda

Brett. Ratner.

No, I haven't nor will I see it. I knew it would be bad. Planning on hitting up Over the Hedge tomorrow though. :p
When Bryan Singer left I always knew it would be terrible. I never doubted that. Brett Ratner made it inevitable.

Going from the previews and other scenes I've seen, it seemed like they were forcing the humor a little too hard. While the action sequences seemed dull and pointless. When Singer filmed and action sequence it had weight and excitement to it. When Ratner films an action sequence it's only pretty colors and quick flashes. This one looked like Ratner was trying to throw all the CG and effects money could buy, to hide his failings as a director.
I could go on...

EvilDevo

i knew for a fact it would not be up to par with the first two, but i had no idea it could be that terrible.

roundshort

I didn't think it was tha bad. I actually liked it better than the first, which I did not like, but found it no where near the second in quailty. The body count was respectable, which is nice. Some of the villians were all right. I always like to see a movie set in San Francisco. So far this summer mi:iii and thank you for smoking are the best. Hopefully POTC II, Dead Mans Chest will be the best.

Nic Cage in Ghost rider !?! any thoughts?

roundshort

EvilDevo said:
PotC 2 looks really good, i cant wait to see it!

I agree, Disney finally gets to redo the giant squid effect from 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I always worry when a movie looks like it goes super CI (thinkt he awful effects in the Star wars movies).

Davey Jones looks pretty bad a$$ though.

EvilDevo

my thoughts exactly on the squid. i loved that shot in the trailer where a ship is being broken apart and sunk and there are tentacles coming out of the water all over the place. the camera is above all the action, looking down on it... and i THINK there were people climbing up and along the mast and rigging and stuff. so cool... i hope this shot makes it into the film.

but anyway, back to X3... i just thought there was way too much going on. too many sub plots, too many under developed characters...

***SEMI-SPOILER ALERT***

and why, WHY did they kill off not one, but TWO of my favorite characters? i loved the interaction between cyclops and wolverine in the first two movies (especially the first, hilarious)... and it was pretty much non existant in this film.

*sigh*

oh well, hopefully the wolverine and magneto prequels will be decent...

roundshort

EvilDevo said:
my thoughts exactly on the squid. i loved that shot in the trailer where a ship is being broken apart and sunk and there are tentacles coming out of the water all over the place. the camera is above all the action, looking down on it... and i THINK there were people climbing up and along the mast and rigging and stuff. so cool... i hope this shot makes it into the film.

but anyway, back to X3... i just thought there was way too much going on. too many sub plots, too many under developed characters...

***SEMI-SPOILER ALERT***

and why, WHY did they kill off not one, but TWO of my favorite characters? i loved the interaction between cyclops and wolverine in the first two movies (especially the first, hilarious)... and it was pretty much non existant in this film.

*sigh*

oh well, hopefully the wolverine and magneto prequels will be decent...

MORE SPOILERS>>>

Who knows. They kinda made scott a brat. Maybe the argument can be made that Phoenix "got into" scott's head leaving him pretty much toast after Jean was killed. I personally think they needed to dumb down the X-Mens power to have a more climatic final battle scene. Lets face it, Magneto should have been able to stop pretty much all the carnage with all the metal on the island. The biggest problem with establishing power, is dumbing it down to have a more meaningful fight.
I was worried they with all the personalities, like in Batman forever, it would be too streached. I give this movie a solid B, well worth the price of admission.

The Danger room scene inthe beginning was the best throw back to the comics, around #165 to #220, which to me were the best.

The big question, will there be an X4? with an impressive $107 million opening weekend, how could you not?

Last edited:

Cammy

I thought it could have been better in parts, but overall it was good. It needed to be longer to allow more character development. The side plot with Angel was a bit weird. But I LOVED Kitty Pryde! She's so perfectly cast and I just love her power - going through walls. I also loved Kelsey Grammer as Besat. I was skeptical about him pulling it off but he did a great job.

Here's hoping they bring out an X-4!

Gustav

LOADS OF SPOILERS

I liked X-Men 3 a lot. What did everyone else not like about it? I also thought they should have extended it by about twenty minutes. I heard that they had a scene with a fight between Colossus and Juggernaut which got cut and I think they should have left it in unless some stupid crap happened in that fight. I'm glad Kitty Pryde got to do more in this one too, and they did the character justice by showing her utilize her power in a creative way which doesn't seem like a good power to fight with until she proves otherwise.
I thought this film was seriously lacking in the amount of Nightcrawler it contained though. I'm also not sure I like that Rogue lost her powers but she could still get them back as it appears Magneto will. And we never saw Cyc's dead body so there could still be some Wolverine/Cyclops interraction.

Grimdiana Bones

This movie was mediocre, worth seeing once, but I wouldn't buy the dvd. They pretty much knew after the success of X2 they could pour millions into special effects to create another summer blockbuster, and no matter what, people will go watch it. The acting was subpar, halle berry especially.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It reminded me of the "Saucer Men from Mars" script, where hundreds of American soldiers were buried in the desert and forgotten. Too much collateral damage, all because Phoenix died upon her second assisted suicide request and not her first.

roto13

I didn't think it was that bad. I was more than happy to see Cyclops die. He was a dick, just like Wolverine said. :p

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I saw X-men 3 last Sunday. It was way better then the second, in my opinion, yet it wasn´t the best of the three.
I don´t like the fact they keep introducing new characters and then give them so little screen time.

What wonders me though... no comments here about those last 2 sec. of film, after the credits?

roto13

Junior Jones said:
I haven't seen X3 yet but remember, this is a comic book movie. Just because someone died doesn't mean they're dead.

Hey, he stayed dead for the duration of the movie. That's enough for me.

I kinda liked how they just forgot about him after they found Jean XD

Cammy

That's true, it is a comic book movie. I didn't think X3 was as good as X1 and X2 but I still enjoyed it though. I was pleased that they had stuff from Whedon's Astonishing X-Men in it mingled with other runs of X-Men too. I've always thought that the cure would make a great movie plot.

roundshort

I sitll like Forge's character and Strom getting blasted. i think they had to get rid fo Scott, he was a B*tch of guy and dodn't fit in with they dynamic