Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Chiliana Jones

answers from the newest Q&A at the official forum:

Much better turnaround on this one, wasn't it? I got a chance to bother the audio team directly, and they are some great guys to chat with. Their answers and your questions are below.

Will any of the new tracks from the soundtrack being available to buy or download?

Unfortunately, no. We won?t be releasing an official soundtrack. As a professional courtesy to Maestro Williams, we do not release soundtracks for our Star Wars or Indiana Jones games. Maestro Williams is kind enough to allow us use of his music in our games, and as a thank you to him we do not compete in the marketplace against him for soundtrack sales.

Who's doing Indy? David Esch?
David Esche won't be appearing this time around, instead we'll be getting John Armstrong. You might recognize him as the voice of Han Solo in Empire At War.

Any other voices we'd recognise?
We've got a few great voices who take part. While you're battling thugs in Chinatown, keep an ear out for the voice of the killer in Scream. Yes - Scream. While he won't be telling Indy that he's in his house, Roger Jackson plays a number of thugs Indy comes up against. In the Co-Op mode, Indy pairs up with his father, the great Henry Jones Sr. Lewis MacCleod took the reigns for the familiar voice, but the hardcore Star Wars fans know him better as Sebulba, the great pod racer from Episode One.

About the audio... will loyal Lucasfilm-Fans hear a good, old Wilhelm in this game?
Our favorite scream makes more then one appearance, yes.

So, How many audio tracks are we going to listen during the gameplay??? The soundtrack is composed of about 40 minutes of brand new tracks created by Gordy Haab and Ray Harman. The rest of it (hours of it) is made up of never-before-heard music from the days of Raiders and Temple of Doom. We wanted to keep the feel of the old movies, but we didn't want to beat you over the head with the old music. It strikes a great balance.

Has Ben Burtt been consulted or had any involvement in the game development process?
While some of his sound effects from the original films (punches, falls, etc) make it into the game, Ben hasn't been around during the devlopment of the audio. He's a busy, busy guy.

Can we listen to any music track at any time?
There isn't a Jukebox mode, sorry.

There you guys go. Some great little factoids about the audio of the game. Sebulba? Really? That's awesome to me. Many thanks go out to Jesse Harlin, Wilbert Roget, and David Collins (three of our sound hombres) for their help with this!

----------------------------------------------

CJ

Morning Bell

Some of the early previews seem disappointing but I'm still waiting for my chance to play it before I jump to any conclusions. When it comes to Indy I'm an optimist.:whip:

Irfaan

Morning Bell said:
Some of the early previews seem disappointing but I'm still waiting for my chance to play it before I jump to any conclusions. When it comes to Indy I'm an optimist.:whip:

If only I was as strong as you, I was an optimist for staff of kings too, until the previews, I got a bit sad after hearing them. :(

Oh well, I'm getting the PSP version, I hope that doesn't fall flat too, that was made by different developers.

Oh and thanks Chilliana Jones for the audio question roundup! Great questions indeed! :D

The Tingler

The general gaming press doesn't seem too interested in the game, they see it as a cheap knock-off version of a better, cancelled, game. Even when they get big previews of Staff of Kings half the time they don't mention it on their outer cover. GamesTM, GamesMaster and Nintendo Official Magazine didn't.

To be honest, I don't blame them. LucasArts seem to be mostly letting JediMudkip on the forum handle the marketing for this game. One short featurette does not buzz make. Compare the marketing of Indy to Ghostbusters, Batman Arkham Asylum, The Conduit or Prototype - all of which are out in June, all of which have a heck of a lot more hype built up just because their publishers have actually done some marketing.

Less than two months to go now... about 7 weeks in fact.

Henry

Have you seen this?

Activision has prepared a three-pronged marketing campaign to promote the game?s arrival and reignite the public love for Indy that saw a boost with last year?s cinematic release.

- A six-month PR campaign has been targeted to cover the main Nintendo and multi-format publications. Ads will also appear in key lifestyle magazines.

- For online marketing, the publisher has targeted big brand environments, with homepage takeovers arranged for leading men?s lifestyles, film sites and broader gaming and entertainment sites.

- A strong three-week TV launch campaign will be run on satellite and terrestrial channels, targeted at a core gaming audience and children.

http://www.mcvuk.com/retail-biz/previews/387/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Staff-Of-The-Kings

The Drifter

indyjones2131 said:
Any chance of seeing some scans from those magazine previews?

I can type the article, but I don't have a scanner. If anyone is interested, I can type the article word-for-word from the issue of GI.

EDIT: I just noticed that I said EGM earlier. I meant it was in Game Informer.

The Tingler

- A six-month PR campaign has been targeted to cover the main Nintendo and multi-format publications.
A six-month PR campaign? Well, I suppose it has been in all of those magazines, but most of the buzz has been decidedly negative from those sources.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited, but I'm disgusted with both LucasArts and Activision claiming that the Wii was going to be their lead platform for this game all along. We had one "actually, yeah, it got cancelled because it couldn't be out 2009" and now they're covering up its existence.

DIrishB

The Tingler said:
A six-month PR campaign? Well, I suppose it has been in all of those magazines, but most of the buzz has been decidedly negative from those sources.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited, but I'm disgusted with both LucasArts and Activision claiming that the Wii was going to be their lead platform for this game all along. We had one "actually, yeah, it got cancelled because it couldn't be out 2009" and now they're covering up its existence.

Thats usually how companies/corporations handle things like this (ie, big screw-ups)...they take a cover it up/head in the sand approach and move on. Hasbro did it with the toyline (mainly in part to Lucasfilm's ridiculous demands and licensing costs), but the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions not coming out in time is probably due to the game developers...

The Tingler

Yeah, that's never a good sign with a Wii game.

Like I said, I'll still be in with my pre-orders and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I just don't like the way both LucasArts and Activision have been acting towards it. That, and Activision are enormously hated. Mostly by me. They've taken over from EA.

Lambonius

Nurhachi1991 said:
I still have mine pre ordered as well. I just hate family friendly Indy adventures.............

Fate of Atlantis was completely family friendly, and it is still the best Indy video game that's been done yet!

Morning Bell

I don't see what's wrong with having something that families can play together. Part of the appeal of the Indy franchise is the fact that people of all ages can enjoy it. LEGO Indiana Jones was a family game and I had a blast with it.

DocWhiskey

Morning Bell said:
I don't see what's wrong with having something that families can play together. Part of the appeal of the Indy franchise is the fact that people of all ages can enjoy it. LEGO Indiana Jones was a family game and I had a blast with it.

Exactly. There's a family friendly Indy game right there. We don't need another one.

Lambonius

Ah, I see--so we're taking "family friendly" to mean "something that families can easily play together" and not "appropriate for all ages?" Because the latter can apply to pretty much any Indy game that's been made, but the former, as you said, really only applies to the Lego version.

As much as I wish this game was a more traditional action/adventure game a la Infernal Machine/Emperor's Tomb (but without the poor design decisions that plagued both of those titles), AND as much as I can't stand the use of motion controls just for the sake of using motion controls (i.e. the use of motion controls where traditional controls would have been more responsive and improved the gameplay experience), I'd be willing to admit that if they pull it off and pull it off well, I'd be on board with it.

But I need to see it to believe it. ;)