Spielberg's On The Lot Reality Show

Jawad M

What do you guys think of Spielberg's upcoming reality show ON THE LOT

Aspiring director/filmmakers from across the country will vie for the opportunity of a lifetime when Mark Burnett, Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks Television and Fox join forces on the exciting new unscripted series On the Lot, which will air next season on Fox. The competition will air over two nights weekly, with an hour "Film Premiere" episode, followed the next night by a half-hour "Box Office" results show. Ultimately, one filmmaker will rise above the rest and will be rewarded with a studio development deal, On the Lot at DreamWorks.

"For me, like any person who wants to be a filmmaker, the opportunity to work hand in hand with Steven Spielberg is a dream come true," said Burnett. "With the help of our partners at Fox, Peter Liguori and reality maestro Mike Darnell, we're going to make an incredible show about looking for the next great filmmaker by mining the growing segment of the public making their own content, and giving them the chance of a lifetime."

"All through my career I've done what I can to discover new talent and give them a start," said Spielberg. "This opportunity with Mark Burnett, DreamWorks and Fox allows all of us to reach out directly to open a much wider door."

"When you have the opportunity to work with people like Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg, artists who've redefined this business, you jump at the chance," said Peter Liguori, President of Entertainment for Fox. He added, "In this age of digital cameras, cell phones with cameras and the Internet - with hundreds of thousands of people creating their own movies at home every day - the concept of this series is completely relevant, tapping into a cultural phenomenon as it happens."

"Movie-making is completely relatable to the American public," added Mike Darnell, EVP Alternative Programming and Specials for Fox. "Everyone enjoys going to the movies, reading about the movies and learning about the movies. Most Americans consider themselves amateur film critics and this will give viewers the opportunity to create the next big filmmaker."

After a nationwide search, applicants will be winnowed to a group of 16 undiscovered talents. The finalists will be brought to Hollywood, where they will be divided into several teams and will begin the hopeful journey toward their "big break." As the competition begins, each team will produce a short film from that week's genre, running the gamut from comedies to thrillers, personal dramas to romance, sci-fi to horror. With one member selected as the team's director and other members helping produce, they'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer. A pool of professional writers, cast and crew will be made available, and if the contestants are resourceful enough, they may even be able to land Hollywood celebrities to star in their films. With the clock ticking, however, and other teams working with the same genre, premise or unique challenge, they'll all need to match their vision with decisiveness, execution and flexibility.

Each week, after the teams have battled time frames, budgets and all the usual chaos that goes along with filmmaking, their films will be shown and critiqued in front of a live audience during the "Film Premiere" episode. Judges will include a high-ranking motion picture executive, a prominent film critic and a succession of well-respected guest judges, such as directors who are experts in the week's featured genre. But they'll also be subjected to perhaps the harshest judge of all... the public.

It will be Fox viewers whose votes ultimately determine which film should be left on the cutting-room floor. But, just as in Hollywood, where the director's work and vision have an enormous impact on the success or failure of a film, not all team members will pay the price. On the next night's "Box Office" results show, only the director of the losing feature will be sent home, leaving that team with fewer contestants to help produce the next week's film.

As the competition continues and directors are eliminated, eventually the remaining filmmakers will have to work individually, creating a new short film every week until only the most talented individual is anointed the winner, whisked away to the DreamWorks studio, met by Steven Spielberg and shown a new office... On the Lot.

On the Lot is produced by Mark Burnett Productions, DreamWorks Television and Amblin Television. Mark Burnett and Steven Spielberg are creators and executive producers. Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey and Conrad Riggs are co-executive producers

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
What I think is they should do that in Australia.... Lord knows that we deserve a equal chance of trying to make it... Instead of promising a job at the end of it and finding that you end up doing independent films that are attempts to get exposure rather than money. And I'm probably better off on student exchange to UCLA than I do here. If Spielberg really wanted to give those who want to make it badly (like me) a chance, then I call on him to come to Australia and see what we can do. I will work as hard as I can to make it, because I have come this far, I might as well keep going and even when I could barely talk apparently I kept saying I wanted to make movies to my parents. I willing to do everything short of lying, cheating, stealing and selling my soul.

IndyBuff

I think that Spielberg should be busy working on Indy IV instead of doing a reality show.;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I agree, Indy. And yeah, I already guessed that, Abe Vayoda. I will probably end up like Maya Deren and become an Avant-Gardist and die whilst having a strange obsession with voodoo rituals and be appreciated in international cinema, long after I'm dead...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The winner meets Spielberg (on the Indy lot?) in the live finale, Aug 21 on Fox.
The ratings stank, by the way.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's on right now...
Tonight Steven Spielberg himself is slated to greet the winner of ?On The Lot.? Will he do it via satellite, as he greeted the Comic Con audience from the set of ?Indiana Jones? Fourth Movie,? or will he actually take leave of Henry Jones Jr., Marion Ravenwood, Transformer Boy, Fake Marcus Brody et al to join fellow filmmakers Garry Marshall and Carrie Fisher in studio?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Carrie Fisher's on the show? What the ----?

I've never seen the show. I just know what it's about from here

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://epguides.com/OntheLot
Reality/game shows were never my thing, but I'd have watched or listened to anything teaming Carrie Fisher and Garry Marshall. RIP. Dreamworks should release a feature length retrospective with their banter and showcasing the work of the top five finalists, which was all great.