Ancient 'Hobbit' found??

Johan

I believe it is just a human with some sort of disease, we see many people even now with oddly shaped bodies including those that live with dwarfism. I've worked in the field of human service with people with disabilities for a few years and it is interesting the various shapes the human form can have.
One of my favorate quotes I've used is, "It takes a lot of faith to believe in evolution"

Last edited:

AnthropologyFSU

Homo Floresiensis...

What do guys think about the new species of homo, Homo Floresiensis, it was discovered on the island of Flores in indonesia. Whats amazing is that these "hobbit" like people lived only 18,000 years ago, the skeletons weren't even fossilized yet...

I think it's interesting that they co-existed with modern humans.... I wonder what interaction between the 2 species mighta been like, if there was any at all....

adventure_al

AnthropologyFSU said:
What do guys think about the new species of homo, Homo Floresiensis, it was discovered on the island of Flores in indonesia. Whats amazing is that these "hobbit" like people lived only 18,000 years ago, the skeletons weren't even fossilized yet...

esientially they are just humans anyway. i mean you get the pygmy tribes in south america which are characteristically small but they are still human.

Aino

My Understanding On Hobbits

I am not as up on this one as i could be but it is of interest to me sooo here goes, For a while there was huge debate and i do believe there still is. Anyway, the 2 schools of thought pretty much were that hobbits were a new form of prehistoric human. The other one being they were midgets with defunct brains. (Putting it roughly and rather simplistically)

Since the earliest one was found it is my understnading they have found a whole cave or then some full of these errr 'people/hobbits' in Indonesia (Flores Island). It seems too that there are some similarities to Homo Erectus. There is a theory that they shrunk due to surviving on an island. Which is an interesting theory. In light of there being quite a few of them and the likelyhood of the disorders that would have to have struck all of them genetically and in the brain i personally am of the opinion they are a new species. I find it unlikely that that large a number of 'hobbits' could just be short humans that won the lottery a multitude of times.

Until actually fairly recently, humans were not the only humanesque form of life on earth. In parts of europe we co-existed with neanderthals for quite a number of thousands of years. And in other areas for a similarish time frame we also lived quite close to our ancestors homo erectus. So these hobbits were just another relation in my non fully informed opinion that we seem to have lived side by side with for some time.

For a while the theory they were homo erectus rather than sapien sapien, was of issue because of the island factor, but we know ereectus traveled by water so obviously, unless they were mermaids they had boats. (The skeletal remains in the fossil record do not support the mermaid theory just for the record.) And it is entirely possible and plausible. As for weather it is cold hard fact... Again, i am going on limited information that i read some time ago i am not up on the subject within the last few weeks. But just trying to be helpful in any way i can.