Stanley Kubrick Films

Indyologist

I recently borrowed a DVD collection of Stanley Kubrick films from my cousin. Some of the movies in it are: Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Shining and a couple others. (My brother told me not to watch CO or FMJ because I might find them too violent).

What are your thoughts/opinions on Stanley Kubrick films? What do you like/don't like about them? What do you feel are Kubricks "trademarks" in his films? What films of his do you/don't you recommend? What are your personal feelings about these flims?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts!

I

Indy's_main_man

He was a coot for the most part but some of his stuff was okay.

If I remember correctly a clockwork orange was just an orgy of blood and people being raped.

The shining was brilliant and Dr. Strangelove was never really that funny to me.

2001: a space odysee was good too.

I think the stuff he worked on later was just kinda dumb. *COUGH* A.I. *COUGH*

I believe Kubrik had almost the entire movie layed out on storyboards and Spileberg picked it up and said he'd do it for him.

kubrik was very eccentric ...that's all I can say

Indyologist

Indy's_main_man said:
He was a coot for the most part but some of his stuff was okay.

If I remember correctly a clockwork orange was just an orgy of blood and people being raped.

Oh, yuck! That wouldn't sit well with me. Guess I won't be watching that one. Too bad-- it looks pretty bizarre.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Clockwork is wierd, but it does have a good message, does society breed evil? And if so, how can society control or contain the evil it creates?
There is no blood, however, there is pleanty of nudity and sex, so if that bothers you DON'T WATCH!

Kubrick was wierd, plain and simple, 2001 was one of his less wierd works, and even then the ending is quite a mind job.

maquino

Malcolm McDowell

Indy's_main_man said:
If I remember correctly a clockwork orange was just an orgy of blood and people being raped ... kubrik was very eccentric ...that's all I can say

I daresay that CO and Caligula pretty well immortalized Malcolm McDowell as a shock actor.

I remember going into a Georgetown theater to see (the unrated) Caligula without knowing anything about the film, figuring it was just another Roman epic a la Ben-Hur, Spartacus that sort of thing. Came out a couple of hours later with my eyeballs glazed. :eek:

Mention might also be made of what I think was Kubrick's final film, Eyes Wide Shut, in which troubled physician Tom Cruise, upset over imagining his wife's one-night fling, immerses himself in a Satanic sex orgy. I think there's a moral here, but I'm not sure what it is. :confused:

Michael Aquino

maquino

Full Metal Jacket

Full Metal Jacket is really two films stapled together: the first about Marine Corps boot camp and the second about (surrealistic) Vietnam combat. The latter item is pretty forgettable, but the former immortalized R. Lee Ermey as the quintessential USMC drill instructor. See his website at:

www.rleeermey.com

FYI He continues to have fun with his image as the host of the History Channel's Mail Call series.

Michael Aquino

Starchaeologist

Renderking Fisk said:
Uncle Stan made movies that ASKED good questions but had a hard time answering those questions.

They were difficult questions to answer, though.

Absolutely correct! Kubrick was a courageous director; not infallible, but usually well above the efforts of his contemporaries.

Clockwork Orange was a brilliant adaptation of a novel that used put strengths of film storytelling (and question-asking) to their best use.

That, in my opinion, is the primary strength of Kubrick's screen adaptations.

indifan101

Stanley Kubrick

This man to me has changed the way we look at movies! I think that Stanley Krubrick is one of the best directors of all time! My favorite movies he made were Paths to Glory, 2001: A Space Odessey, Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove! What are your favorite Krubrick films? :D

Grimdiana Bones

Kubrick has made some of my favorite movies of all time. The shining, Dr. strangelove, 2001, full metal jacket, just to name a few. In articles I've read about him, he seemed almost eccentric, in a very cool way. One article mentioned how much he enjoyed stationary (I can relate, I also love stationary...) and apparently bought up a huge order of a certain ink that he liked just because they were discontinuing it. I'll see if I can track down the link to the article and post it.

Paden

Many of Kubrick's films are noteworthy in differing ways. If I had to pick just one as a favorite, I'd probably select 2001: A Space Odyssey. That film remains one of the most visually hypnotic movies I've ever seen. It isn't one that feeds the audience its meaning; the viewer has to digest what he or she has seen, and determine what it means for them. For some reason, perhaps the slow, deliberate pacing of the film's sequences, 2001 has always captured the "feel" of the vastness of space for me like no other movie before or since, even those more technically advanced. Kubrick produced a lot of memorable imagery in 2001. It isn't for everyone, but if you're in the mood for something contemplative, it might just fit the bill.

Grimdiana Bones

Paden said:
Many of Kubrick's films are noteworthy in differing ways. If I had to pick just one as a favorite, I'd probably select 2001: A Space Odyssey. That film remains one of the most visually hypnotic movies I've ever seen. It isn't one that feeds the audience its meaning; the viewer has to digest what he or she has seen, and determine what it means for them. For some reason, perhaps the slow, deliberate pacing of the film's sequences, 2001 has always captured the "feel" of the vastness of space for me like no other movie before or since, even those more technically advanced. Kubrick produced a lot of memorable imagery in 2001. It isn't for everyone, but if you're in the mood for something contemplative, it might just fit the bill.

I agree, 2001 was the first movie I can ever remember watching that left me awestruck. I still think over its subject matter to this day.

Webley

I think Krubrick movies suck :sick: The guy is to smart and to good of a film maker for me.

Last edited:

Jay R. Zay

indifan101 said:
That's not a bad film. It's okay. It seems like most of it is about sex.

clockwork orange? clockwork orange is definitely not a film about sex... personally i think it's a great movie with an amazing ending.