Why Young Indy is the best Indy

Demitasse

Attila the Professor said:
The writer likes the Boondock Saints

Haha, too true. I think professing love for BS (convenient acronym!) is a pretty strong tell that the author has missed the point of the exercise.

I liked the other reasons though! I never considered that YIJC had replaced MacGuyver which is an interesting bit of trivia.

Speaking of Boondock Saints- have really enjoyed Norman Reedus on Walking Dead and just read that SPF is going to be on the upcoming season of Dexter. Which will surely be better than this.

Henry W Jones

Just read the article and for starters, while it took MacGyvers time slot, it was cancelled before it even got through all the episodes. Also, him meeting every historical figure from that time period was campy and way over the top. Also, many people feel the downfall of the series was LC, so, the father son thing that is only in some episodes (not the focus of the show as written in the article) did not make it better than the obvious choice, Raiders, being the best. I actually put the show dead last on my list. Also, Crystal Skull is the weakest of the films, but, it is not terrible. A hallucination? Give me a break. If you didn't like it, get over it, it's a movie. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. SPF is a horrible Indy. He doesn't get the facial expressions right, he doesn't look at all like Ford and he doesn't deliver his lines like Indy. As far as the writing, I like the show until it becomes the Henry Defense Chronicles but after that I feel like I am not watching Indy anymore. Also, some of the situations that happen to him are ridiculous and make me want to stop watching. The articles argument for the show doesn't work for me.

Stoo

The writer likes the Boondock Saints, which seems to me to call the rest of his judgment into question.
What makes me laugh is that the writer seems to think that taking over the time-slot of "MacGyver" is some kind of justification for the series' superiority. While I wasn't watching a lot of TV in the late '80s/early '90s, I did happen to catch an episode of "MacGyver" and thought it was garbage. Everyone in my circle made fun of how bad it was...so that point doesn't resonate with me at all.
Henry W Jones said:
Just read the article and for starters, while it took MacGyvers time slot, it was cancelled before it even got through all the episodes.
Looking at the dates, Young Indy didn't take over SchmuGyver's Monday night time-slot right away. That 'take over' came during it's 2nd season and lasted for only 4 weeks before being moved again. The series continued onwards and its cancellation happened much later.

---
Quoting the "Geek Legacy" article:
Tyler Waterman said:
Also, many of the treasures and locales referenced in the films are featured prominently in the show, in particular the Eye of the Peacock from Temple of Doom.
What is this guy talking about? "Many of the treasures and locales" in the films are "featured prominently"?:confused: There is no 'in-film' connection of the Peacock's Eye to "Doom". (It appears that Tyler Waterman has not been making his own investigations and is merely repeating what others have said.)
Tyler Waterman said:
1. It denies the existence of Mutt!

According to the narration from the elderly Indy that bookended every episode of the show, he had a daughter, grandkids, and great-grandkids, but did not have a son. Sorry Mutt, apparently you simply didn?t exist!
For more than one reason, this is a myopic point of view (the "Peking" episode crushes his claim) and the elderly Indy did not bookend "every episode".:rolleyes:

While I'll admit that I'm a Young Indy geek, this writer is just a geek. Period.:p

Le Saboteur

But what do <I>you</I> think?

I, like Stoo, greatly admire and even enjoy Young Indy, but he misses out on being the 'greatest' incarnation of the character, because of the so-called "War Years." Despite the standout episodes of "Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life" and "Daredevils in the Desert", it all went on far, far too long. Young Indy was a horrible spy, and I sincerely wish the fantasy of an adult Indy pummeling Natzees during Dubya Dubya Duex would die an equally horrible death.

Yes, I know the original episodes were titled something else. I prefer the feature-length titles.

The decision to focus a third of the production of the Great War meant we missed out on meeting Gandhi, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was relegated to a five minute aside, and virtually all of the related history leading to China becoming Communist was ignored. No Sun Yat-sen, no May Fourth Movement, and zero mention of Japan's Imperial ambitions. For an otherwise excellently produced show, this is unacceptable.

The Reaper

Decent article. I love the show and he makes some good points but I'm so sick of the Crystal Skull bashing that pops in places. :(

Randy_Flagg

I have to assume that article was written with tongue planted firmly in cheek, as they say.

A young Boondock Saint is a young Indiana Jones; just try and and contain that amount of awesome, I dare you.
Sarcasm, if ever I heard it.

This show took MacGuyver?s TV spot
And the guy writing this article can't even spell MacGyver. Aside from that, it's interesting that he mentions MacGyver since I remember thinking when I watched YIJ that he seemed more like a Young MacGyver than a Young Indy. MacGyver was always such an idealist & a do-gooder, while the real Indy was fun to watch because of his "devil-may-care" roguish attitude. Hmmm... which one seems closer to Young Indy?

One of the best parts of the Indy films is the relationship between Indy and his father.
Huh? That only existed in only one of the films, and yes, it was entertaining, but it's not why I (or most people, I assume) watch Indy movies. Again, I'll have to assume that this is sarcasm.

You know what Young Indy does? It actually gives you more! This show is all about the relationship between the two, as the episodes featuring little kid Indy are all about him traveling the globe with his father
Yeah, unfortunately, YIJ forgot to include the great humor that existed in the Ford & Connery scenes, which is really why most people enjoyed the father/son scenes in the first place.

Every single important person in history ever is in this freaking show
Which was pretty stupid, actually, and got boring really fast.

who better to teach our children than Indiana Jones?!
I don't know. Too bad Indy wasn't actually in the show. Instead, we had some completely new guy,with a completely different look and personality from Indiana Jones. Learning history from the real Indiana Jones MIGHT have been kind of fun, but I guess we'll never know, unless Disney decides to make a new educational Indy series with Harrison Ford.

It denies the existence of Mutt!
Sadly, it also kind of denies the existance of Indy since, again, the guy in this show bears no resemblance to Indiana Jones.

00Kevin

Indyfan
that show was quite a fine show, the guy forgot to mention all the future stars that appeared on that show like Catherine Zeta Jones and Daniel Craig

Randy_Flagg

00Kevin said:
that show was quite a fine show, the guy forgot to mention all the future stars that appeared on that show like Catherine Zeta Jones and Daniel Craig
It was a decent show (certainly had good production values), but it shouldn't have been called "Indiana Jones." I feel they called it that simply as a marketing tactic. The guy in this show did not seem remotely like Indiana Jones. I get that he was younger, and so his personality could be different, but the difference between the guy we see in the final episodes of this show and the guy we meet at the beginning of Temple of Doom (which is, chonologically, the next time we see him), is just TOO different. I can't picture Flannery's Indy throwing a flaming shishkabob into somebody's chest, for example.

Indyfan82

I personally LOVE "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"- and "MacGyver", for that matter. (That's actually probably my favorite show ever!):) :cool:
But I can't agree that Young Indy is the best Indy ever- that honor would have to go to the original- Harrison Ford. No question, as far as I'm concerned.
I think Sean Patrick Flanery did a great job portraying Young Indy- no better or worse than River Phoenix at any rate. Of course, I just enjoy most all of the Indy universe so I don't really have any complaints.

Crack that whip

I don't quite agree with everything in that article, but I've said before that I think the show is even better than all the movies except Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I stand by that. :whip: