Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
With roughly a week to go, time to make some bold predictions/educated guesses about the movie.

The main Star Wars saga has always been about the Skywalker family. Each trilogy's focus is on one of them. In the original trilogy it was Luke, with the prequels obviously Anakin. In this new trilogy, the central character is...
...Rey. She is Luke's daughter.

However, "there is another".
The villain, Kylo Ren, is a Skywalker too. He is not, however, Rey's brother. He is her cousin. His parents are Han and Leia.

At the end of the movie, Han dies at the hands of his own offspring.

Now, let's just see how close I got.

Thar' be a lot of
space opera shit
in your speculation. I mean, when, post Endor, do any of these people have time to
put the old lightsaber into the old exhaust port
if you know what I'm sayin'.

Maybe it's the way I'm reading it, but the above has all the makings of a Christmas
redneck family gift exchange.

No, I don't think
Kylo Ren
is connected in any way at all to the previous 6 films. At best, perhaps a padwan/apprentice of an unknown or unnamed character. Wouldn't it be pretty amazing to find out (s)he was under the tutelage of
Mace Windu?!
Unfortunately the timeline would be a tad off.

You may be right on your first part though. There's this image:
Screen-Shot-2015-03-13-at-9.27.25-AM.png

and then the one I put up YESTERDAY.

AndyLGR

Take this with a pinch of salt but I read a rumour that Kylo Ren
is shown in a flash back scene being handed to Luke by his parents (Leia and Han) for Jedi training

Pale Horse

Staff member
AndyLGR said:
Take this with a pinch of salt but I read a rumour that Kylo Ren
is shown in a flash back scene being handed to Luke by his parents (Leia and Han) for Jedi training

The shades of Spectre rear it's ugly head yet again. I guess Hydra really is evertwhere.

Dr. Gonzo

The first spoken line of the film is some what meta and is almost like J.J. is winking at the audience:

"This will begin to make things right"

I'm gonna need to view this film again to really get a handle on how I feel about it, but as it stands with 1 viewing under my belt, The Force Awakens is unquestionably the best Star Wars film since Jedi.

Finn

Staff member
Well well. Star Wars - pretty heavy with space opera s**t. News at 11.

C'mon Horsie... whole franchise's been like that since 1980 or so.

Finn

Staff member
If we wanna pick on that statement a little, it does not promise all that much, really. I mean, some might say it doesn't take all that much effort to make a film that's better than the prequels.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Sure. But also knowing Gonzo as a unequivocal film student actively working in the industry, he wouldn't lead us to believe something that wasn't there. (Something rare on theRaven, I know )

He could of made reference to the Prequels....but he pointedly said Jedi.

So this Space Opera doesn't measure up to the previous gold standard Opera: that being Empire..the one before Jedi.

...at least that's how I read Dr.Gee.

Finn

Staff member
For the record, I was jesting a bit there. From the context alone, I too read that as nothing but praise.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I know. :D we're decade friends now

But hell, speculation about anything beyond Indy V (which ain't happening folks) is a very welcome endeavor.

Now, to get into your commentary on the film too: s**t.

VERY CURIOUS, INDEED

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
He could of made reference to the Prequels....but he pointedly said Jedi.

So this Space Opera doesn't measure up to the previous gold standard Opera: that being Empire..the one before Jedi.

...at least that's how I read Dr.Gee.

You read me right. Just based on the one viewing, for me personally, The Force Awakens is in a bit of a street fight for my 3rd favorite entry with Jedi.
And I don't know yet who is gonna come out on top.

Luckily though I'll be seeing it again tomorrow evening like many of you.

I don't wanna say much, but I will say, its is a FAST PACED film.
And as a slight negative, yes it does borrow quite heavily from the blueprint of A New Hope...
(read into that what you will)

But everyone walked out of that theater with a smile on their face.
And for the first time since 1999, I'm actually excited to go out and see another Star Wars movie, which is something I thought I'd never feel again.
So that's a big positive. Here's hoping Rian Johnson takes Episode 8 in an interesting direction.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I doing all I can to see it through the eyes of my 8 year old son, who's wicked smart. He's asking all the right spoiler questions. Including the titular one in the poll at the beginning of this thread.

I want the answers to share with him, so that I remain "cool bean" in his eyes, but I also don't want to know those answers yet, either. We'll see it Friday night in full all it's DFX ATMOS glory.

And to think, when I was 8, I saw A New Hope while sitting in the side aisle while my older sisters had seats, for $2.14

Dr. Gonzo said:
And as a slight negative, yes it does borrow quite heavily from the blueprint of A New Hope...
(read into that what you will) .

There's only 36 Plots. How can it NOT!?

Joe Brody

Disappointing.

I got my hopes up based on the positive reviews. I would have thought J.J. would have had more confidence. Unlike Episode IV, the wooden casting doesn't work this time around (but I did like the Finn and Ray characters excepted).

I think my biggest issue is that I try to teach my kids that 'it's not about them' -- and all these movies are about is not being able to cope with angst. Screw that noise. It's me-first Baby Boomerism repackaged for the Millennials (and the whatever that next generation is).

Last edited:

TheFedora

Joe Brody said:
Disappointing.

I got my hopes up based on the positive reviews. I would have thought J.J. would have had more confidence. Unlike Episode IV, the wooden casting doesn't work this time around (but I did like the Finn and Ray characters excepted).

I think my biggest issue is that I try to teach my kids that 'it's not about them' -- and all these movies are about is not being able to cope with angst. Screw that noise. It's me-first Baby Boomerism repackaged for the Millennials (and the whatever that next generation is).

Mirrors what my sister said after the film. " I saw a Disney movie... still waiting for that Star Wars movie."

As for me, I liked it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
"This will begin to make things right".

Indy fans, take serious note.

If a mega-corporation built on preserving characters is willing to execute a movie on this scale to "make things right", any hope for Indiana Jones V should be tempered to the realm of NO.

TheFedora

Pale Horse said:
Indy fans, take serious note.

If a mega-corporation built on preserving characters is willing to execute a movie on this scale to "make things right", any hope for Indiana Jones V should be tempered to the realm of NO.

As the movie is released in pretty much every theater ever today...(last night all of the 10+ screens at my theater were showing THE FORCE AWAKENS) I think that it is fair to say that not all assumptions about 'preserving characters' might be accurate.

And I say this after a viewing of the movie.

Pale Horse

Staff member
We're in a spoiler thread

Precisely. It shows Disney is willing to kill character to make things right. Even if their business is preservation.

Ironic, really.

JasonMa

Dr. Gonzo said:
You read me right. Just based on the one viewing, for me personally, The Force Awakens is in a bit of a street fight for my 3rd favorite entry with Jedi.
And I don't know yet who is gonna come out on top.
Agreed, though I'm pretty sure Jedi is going to win the battle.

Since last night I've been saying that if this had come out in say '87 (obviously with a revised script since its no longer 30 years later but with the same style/feel/whatever) we'd accept it as the 4th movie in the series but consider it the weakest of the four. In the same way as we consider Jedi the weakest of the three right now though.

ANH/ESB -small gap- RotJ -smaller gap- TFA -gigantic chasm- Prequels