1950s culture will not be a character in this movie

joelwatts

I've seen a lot of posts saying that 1950s culture will, or should figure, into this film. I disagree. The era in Indy movies has never been what I call a "character" in the movie. It is just a backdrop. Sure it determines what kind of transportation, communication, weaponry, baddies, etc. (aside from a few anachronisms), but that's about it. We never have seen the over-the-top, plethora of "hey, in case you didn't know this is the 30s," pop culture references thrown in- type caricature of the era. That's why I don't think we will see Einstein, the H-Bomb, or a pop culture styling of Area 51. We might get Are 51, but not what we think, and probably not referred to by name.

I was trying to come up with a list of cheesy culture references they could have had in the first three films. Any ideas?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually there was one in LC. Two if it weren't for the dub for the Butler.

"I should have mailed it to the Marx brothers!" - Indy's Dad.

The zeppelin I personally count as a cheesy reference because I think "Hindenburg" when I see it. Especially since the tail-fin has the Nazi symbol on it.

Stoo

The Mickey Mouse line in ?Crusade? was originally to have been:
?...then I am Jesse Owens."
as well as
?...then I am Mae West."

commontone

There was also the cabaret-style song and dance number in Temple...

I kind of hope you're right though, joelwatts. It would really suck to be introduced to Mutt with him playing chicken on his motorcycle, a la James Dean, with "Leader of the Pack" playing in the background...

Or if the campus chase scene had them blowing through a park-your-car burger joint with girls on roller skates...or a drive-in movie theater with teenagers making out...

They will have to acknowledge the changes in the world somehow, though, obviously the Cold War. The villains are Russians, and there's a nuclear race going on...I don't see how that can be totally avoided. I think it would be cool to see them introduce atomic weapons or Einstein to the Indy world, just not the kind of stuff I listed above.

Stoo

There?s also the LIFE magazine in ?Raiders?.

I wouldn?t be surprised if Indy shows distaste for rock?n?roll
as Bond does with The Beatles.

joelwatts

I concede the inclusion of the Life magazine, and the Mickey Mouse reference, etc., but those are very mild compared to the references you see in cheesy period movies, where every scene goes out of the way to tell you what time period you are in. you just don't get that in Indy movies. A good example of a movie that's over the top with period stuff is Rocketeer. Movies like make the period a stereotype. I don't think Indy movies do.

I just don't think this movie will feel like the 1950s scenes in Back to the Future.

Osceola

Back to the Future was intended as a nostalgia movie. That's why they show much pop culture. On the DVD they say that the sets were built to remind everyone of where they grew up. About the anachronisms, can you name some? I can't think of any.

Finn

Staff member
Osceola said:
About the anachronisms, can you name some? I can't think of any.
In Indy films? Sure. Raiders' bazooka is one. First explosive projectiles were developed well into WWII, in 1942 (Raiders takes place in 1936). LC's zeppelin is another, they were pretty much removed from commuter traffic after the Hindenburg accident in 1937 and as we know, Crusade takes place a year later.

Then, the maps in red line secquences are full of countries and locations that didn't exist in the 30s...

Shall I continue?

Osceola

Finn said:
First explosive projectiles were developed well into WWII, in 1942
You are speaking of the M1A1. The first shoulder fired rocket was demonstrated at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, on November 6, 1918.

Finn said:
LC's zeppelin is another, they were pretty much removed from commuter traffic after the Hindenburg accident in 1937
Pretty much. But there is still the possibility of a few in operation.

If you wish to continue, you may.

Last edited:

BadDates

joelwatts said:
I concede the inclusion of the Life magazine, and the Mickey Mouse reference...

I agree that the Mickey Mouse reference feels rather clumsy and contrived (actually the whole scene is a bit of a low point for the Indy movies IMO) but what's cheesy about the inclusion of the Life magazine? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Finn

Staff member
Osceola said:
You are speaking of the M1A1.
Kraut hardware, actually. Bottom line, even though some prototypes existed, they weren't brought into hands of common grunts 'til well into the war.

Actually, pretty much all the German equipment in the films, from small arms to uniforms and vehicles are the kind that weren't introduced before the start of the war (MP40s, P38s, Kubelwagen cars to name some). It's nothing of course a regular Joe Viewer would notice, or even if he did it wouldn't hinder much from his suspense of disbelief.

The location names are another issue that can be looked into. We have Thailand (should be called Siam), Iran (didn't exist), Jordan (Transjordan). In LC, we have Alexandretta renamed Iskenderun, this actually happened in 1939, not 1938.

I'm not the nitpicking kind in any way, and any of this stuff mentioned doesn't bother me at all. In general, the movies depict the era well. There's nothing that would be glaringly "off", let's admit that.

Echo22

Knowing the love for that era from both GL and SS, I think a few 50's style references are inevitable. It's going to be pretty hard to avoid during the scenes in Connecticut, for example. I just hope it doesn't get too overdone. And I really hope it doesn't make it's way into John Williams' score. I'm worried about the Shia LeBeouf theme.

They seem pretty committed to doing things as they have been done before - not really changing the formula. Which is such a good sign.

oki9Sedo

I shouldn't think the 1950s setting will be any more of a character than the 1930s setting was in the originals. That setting wasn't explored, ot was just a backdrop.

oki9Sedo

salussolia said:
But lucas grew up in tthe fifties and is interested in it ,American graffiti(wich actually takes place in 62 but whatever

Thats true. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

joelwatts

BadDates said:
I agree that the Mickey Mouse reference feels rather clumsy and contrived (actually the whole scene is a bit of a low point for the Indy movies IMO) but what's cheesy about the inclusion of the Life magazine? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

I didn't say it was cheesy. I first said that there were NOT cheesy, over the top culture references in Indy movies. Someone referred to the Life magazine, which I conceded was a cultural reference, but not cheesy. My entire point was that Indy movies aren't spattered with pop cultural references of the period.

What I did ask for, however, were some funny ideas of over the top cultural references that could have been in the movie.

joelwatts

I just now remembered the scene from Connecticut with the protestors (sp?). Granted, I have seen nothing but stills, but this seems the most blatant culture reference in Indy movies yet.

No Ticket

I think that for the most part, your right, 1950s culture wont be much of a main point of the movie. I mean, once Indy is out in the jungle I doubt it will come into play at all besides the obvious fact that Mutt is a 50's greaser. I imagine it will be comparable in references to all the others.